Against glass (AU) [Private]

Noonherb

Another night, another adventure He thought as he looked from the train's window showing the eternal night. The pastel blue pony nearby looked at him, yellow eyes glistenng with concern.

"We don't have to go if you don't wanna.. I can-"

"No, this is a dangerous mission we need to go together.."  I can't let you get hurt  His metal wings twitched at the thought of her injured. She frowned and looked around the mostly empty train, noone was there expect for [your character(s)].

[intruduce and explain why they are here please]

Star Crusader stood in the back of the train, impassive, stoic, and looming.  The larger-than usual pegasus mare had been 'volunteered' on this mission, as part of the Queen's effort to get the nobility to actually *do* stuff.  Not that Star herself needed much inducement, she was already in the Guard, after all.  But it seemed that she would finally get some work that didn't involve just standing around and looking intimidating in heavy armor.

"Duty calls, and so we answer."  That was all she said, her expression not changing in the least.

• Like 1

She kept staring at the pegasus, observing every single detail of her . She then turned back to the green earth pony near the window, still frowning, she sighed and spoke:

"I suppose we could get help from the guard right there." He turned to her in shock, ears lifting up at the word.

"Guard? Wh-where?" His eyes behind his yellow visor looked around in fear, the guards would kill him if he did a wrong move.. or just flew... or did anything about tech. To be honest he was walking on eggs at this point. His eyes dtopped as he saw the large pegasus. He felt the need to scream and run away but was stopped by a hoof on his shoulder.

"Ohm, calm down.. She won't hurt you" Noonherb whispered and stood up, slowly walking towards the guard as Ohm hid behind the train's chair. She cleared her throat to get her attention and spoke, pointing her hoof at her badge.

"I am Doctor Noonherb, sent to investigate the suicide rates with my companion. We are asking for help for this mission." She forced herself to be as formal as possible.

Suicide rates?  Not her normal beat, but Crusader wouldn't complain.  "If you believe I will be of assistance, I shall be glad to help."  Her voice was low, as befit a mare of her stature.  Was there Clydesdale stock, somewhere in her ancestry?  "The only worry I would have is if my appearance would frighten a pony on the edge to diving off on the wrong side.  Your compatriot seemed quite intimidated by my form."

"Oh, he's always like this near guards, don't worry"

Wow, this was easier than I thought She smiled to the guard and raised her hoof to shake theirs, which they did the same. She thenwent back to her chair, pulling out ohm to make him greet the guard.

"Noonherb, the hell are you-" He stopped as he faced the guard, gulping in the process. He shakily raised his black gloved hoof to salute her, not knowing what else to do. WHAT AM I DOING WHAT AM I DO- 

"This is Ohm, he is a... well janitor but he is also a great friend who accepted this mission with me. I hope that you will warm up to each other" She said the last sentence while glancing at her friend. 

"Yeah..." He said, still thinking what she could do to him

Edited by Noonherb

"I see..."  Magenta eyes peered out from behind Scarlet bangs as the sky-blue giantess shook Noonherb's hoof.  "My name is Star Crusader.  Rank is Captain, but if you're not part of any official chain of command, that shouldn't matter so much."  She tilted her head a little, waiting to see if either of them recognized her name... or that of her family.  Probably not; her mother was the Duchess of Fet Loch, but she didn't come to the capital much.  Always raised a ruckus when she did, though...

"I don't see any particular reason why we shouldn't get along; most ponies tend to be fairly nervous around a mare of my size at first."  She sighed a bit; a changeling would be able to detect the emotional taste of frustration and regret, for all that Star's face showed neither.

• Like 1

The train stopped as its doors opened up to a empty station. Three of them tepped outside, surveying the place filled with moss and rust.

"Luna, this place is worse than I thought" Ohm said while he trotted with the others just to be met by a hanging pony corpse on a large tree near the town's gate, Flies surrounding it. He gagged at its gorey form. Noonherb frowned as she gazed at him

Crusader's nose wrinkled at the stench, but that was her only reaction.  "Hm.... Probably should get a shroud for a decent burial, but first... either of you have training in forensic medicine?  It would be good to confirm that this was a suicide.  That's not the only reason you can see a pony strung up."  She spoke as one who had come by that knowledge the hard way.

"We do not have time for this" Noonherb replied "If we don'T stop the what's causing these first, we'lll have way more corpses than this"

"Wait, corpses, plural?" Ohm whispered as Noonherb pointed at the other trees, filled with other ones hanging, Sky stayed emotionless at the sight, no emotion coming from her.  Noonherb knew there was something wrong, something unnatural caused this...

They entered the town, nopony greeted them to this dark broody place except for the smell of piss  and dead bodies. The town was near a large mountain with a cave opening. The gang stopped as to a fillly's voice:

"I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE"  the small pony screeched as they pointed the kitchen knife to themself by their magic, nopony was crowding them and telling them to stop it, 

It would be entirely fair to say that Star was built for robustness rather than speed, and she tended to take that stance as to guard work.  It's entirely possible she would have insisted on being sure, had not a situation arose regarding a foal.  She knew from the start that she wasn't fast enough to get their herself, so she did the first thing that came to mind; picking up a stone with her wings and throwing it with enough force to knock the knife away.  "Get a hold of her, keep her from hurting herself!"

Before the other could realise the situtation, Noo nherb immediately pounced on the filly, their hoofs pinning down theirs. They then picked the filly up, still restraining them with their hoofs,

"LET ME END IT ALL, THIS PLACE IS WORSE THAN TARTARUS" 

Sighing in relief that at least they'd interrupted the fily, Star trotted with a heavy clanking step up to where Noonherb was restraining her.  "Calm down; The train is always a better way to get out of here than the grave."  She blinked.  "What is the problem with this place, why is it so bad?  And why are ponies not fleeing from it?"

• Like 1

"We.. can't escape.. or else.." the filly gulped as they gazed at the mountain's cave "They'll come back"

"Who though?" Ohm said as he trotted near.

"I... I" They broke down, crying, Noonherb slowly put her down, she could smell the dread coming off her.

"...I think we need to go in the cave for further investigation" Ohm said as he pointed at it

Star nodded.  "That seems to be the best approach.  Did you come armed?"  She drew an enormous mace-and-chain off the back of her armor.  "Whatever is terrorizing these poor ponies is going to have to answer to Justice."  Justice being the name of her weapon, apparently.

"I- We didn't come here to-" Noonherb stopped as she noticed Ohm picking up the knife on the ground, she thought for a while and reformed her sentence. "We have a knife, let's go."

They then went near the cave, the piles of dead ponies seeimng to get higher as they got closer.

On the way, Star took note of the bodies, trying to determine if these were more suicides or if this was evidence of more physical attacks from the monsters in the cave.  "Be good to know what kind of things we're facing, you know.  I'd prefer something with a head we can smash in, myself."

The others stayed silent as they trotted, Ohm glanced around, wobbling as he walked while Noonherb smelled all the emotions. The town was filled with fear and dread.

They finally got in the cave, Ohm could swear that something was following them..

If Star was afraid, she didn't show it.  She never showed much of anything, though, so the lack of indication really didn't mean much either way.  The hair on the back of her mane was prickling, though, so Ohm was not alone in his impression.  

Once the trio got some way into the cave, Star signaled for them to halt, and she turned around.  "Gonna come out, whoever you are?  We're not leaving until you do."

Some rocks fell out, revealing something like a....crystal pony? No, ıt looked weirdly offputting with that over friendly smile. Noonherb narrowed her eyes in suspicion.

"Oh, you're invastigating too?" he said as he came near the group with a smile."May I join?"

Star, too peered at the newcomer with narrowed eyes.  "You seem awfully cheerful for a pony that had to have passed by a mountain of corpses to get to us.  Especially one so sensitive to the mood of a place as a crystal pony.  I don't suppose you'd be willing to give us a name?"

"Sane, huh?"  Star looked at him, still wondering what counted as sane under the circumstances.  "If you can keep your head about you/when others are losing theirs and blaming it on you..."  She quoted the old poem under her breath, counting to ten before trusting herself to make a decision.  "Right... I don't suppose we can keep you from coming along if you're determined, but you walk up in front of me, alright?"  At this point, Star was still more worried about an attack from the rear than in front, especially if this new face proved untrustworthy, but between them taking first blow to the front, and her guarding the back, she was as comfortable as she could be.

• Like 1