Start At The Top (Closed: Blue)

SteelEagle

image.png

Ambrosia was really trying to impress her- or well, just wanting to show off for herself. It was hard not to use magic on everything and anything once you learned what you could do, but even the most eager student could only go so far before their body failed them. Twilight noticed the struggle but did not comment on it. "Very good, Ambrosia. Just make sure to still use your hooves for it once in a while or Applejack will go crazy," she said, doing her best googly eyes and a giggle before continuing. She thought about it for a while and considered that it was more possible than not that Applejack would indeed go crazy if her daughter never picked up an apple again. Yep, the loony bin for the Applemare.

The walk continued along the paths as the filly told Twilight her dream. It made sense. Few ponies had a love of dresses and fashion that could rival rarity and nopony who could claim it could likewise claim to match her undeniable talent and skill. And Ambrosia? Well, she certainly qualified for the former, at least as far a fillies her age went. Twilight had to stifle a giggle. A little unicorn filly who wants dresses and to be a model for Rarity. If Applejack wasn't careful, rumors would spread! Though to be honest, they already did...jokingly.

"Oh? That does seem like a lot of fun. Though they have very restrictive diets. No candy for a model!" She said as she rounded a bend and started leading Ambrosia into a field.

"Yes, Auntie."  Amby giggled a little at Twilight's characterization of orange-mama, though the next apple she did pick up was with her hooves.  Couldn't be too careful; the little filly loved her mama after all, and didn't want to make her crazy.  Plus, a little filly holding a big apple was adorable, and she did want to look adorable whenever possible.

The little note about diet, though, caused Ambrosia to gasp in an oxygen-sucking way that she must have learned from watching Rarity at some point.  "Not even candy apples?"  She asked, in a plaintive tone that would have made any grown-up heart melt (and Applejack's swell with pride).  Surely Auntie Twilight couldn't mean no candy apples though; apples were good for you after all, mama said so!

• Apple 1

image.png

Twilight nodded solemnly, trying her best not to crack at how absolutely adorable that tone of voice was. "No, not even one. Well.." she played at thinking about it before turning her head around, "maybe once in a while, but then they probably can't eat anything but well seasoned grass for weeks. Blcch!" Twilight blanched playfully. Okay, maybe she was overplaying it a bit but it was fun. And truthfully, she didn't think it healthy for the very young fillies to look at models as...well, role models. Not because there was anything wrong with what they were doing, but the beauty standards of the industry were so outrageous that if you grew up thinking that was the ideal, you would likely grow up thinking you were lesser for failing to reach it. It was a recipe for disaster. If she wanted to be a model of course she would have everypony's support- just better she come to that conclusion later, and not use it as a basis for how she viewed herself.

They made their way to the field, one of the few open places in the orchard. In a few moments, Applejack would show up as well. She was pulling a cart with some difficulty- she wasn't recovered fully from her many injuries, but she had come a long way a lot faster, and that was evident by the cart packed full of seeds she had brought with her. The mare and cart came to a stop nearby. "How's tha trainin' goin' today, you two? Ah'm not gonna find mahself havin' ta clean up any magical goop or gack down thar, am I miss Princess?" Applejack asked Twilight in a playfully stern manner.

Twilight acted offended. "I'll have you know we unicorns are a very clean species. Is that not so, Ambrosia Apple?" Twilight asked in a faux haughty manner, exaggerated for effect while Applejack started to remove the different seed bags from the cart.

Rating the dietary regime of her initial chosen career, Ambrosia could only give a solid "Ech!" out of ten.  It wasn't fair, why did wearing pretty dresses always come with needing to eat nasty food?  The little filly had little conception of perverse incentives for the beauty industry, but she'd have a word or two for them too once she did!  She was adorable because she was Ambrosia Apple, and she didn't need some set of silly snobs to tell her otherwise!

On that note, the pair then came across the number one encourager of Amby's opinion of herself, her mama!  Always wanting to get back to work, despite the lingering effects of... that day.  Someday, in the future, an older Ambrosia would need some therapy to deal with the repression and trauma of seeing such a strong pillar in her life so weak and hurt... but for now, the happiness of fillyhood was not yet dimmed.  "No mess, mama!  I'm not a colt, I'm a clean little filly!"  She was sure, that if Zappers was a unicorn instead of her, he'd leave every practice room every bit as messy as his bedroom!

• Like 1

5HbB79Q.png

"Hehehe, welll make sure to keep'm that way lil' missy," Applejack said in a playfully stern tone as she continued offloading the seed bags. When she was done she took a step back and admired the land and her daughter, and the future of both. Today would be a special day, and it was important that Twilioght was here for it. Ambrosia could do things that most of her family line could not and while she had been told by others to ignore and continue the traditions as normal, she knew for a fact that to do so would disrespect everything that made Ambrosia who she was. So today's family tradition would have to change, and it would open up a new chapter in a very long book with all the unique and wondrous factors that made Ambrosia so special to Applejack.

Applejack pointed at a patch of dirt that had been pre-dug to the right size and depth. "Today's yer seedlin' day, Amby," Applejack said excitedly. Every Apple planted a new tree when they were Amby's age, the day of a change of season closest to their birthday. They got to pick the type of tree and therefore the type of apple they  would create, and it would be their tree. Nopony could harvest it but them, nopiny could tend to it but them. You'd plant a new one for every major life event- a cutie mark, becoming an adult, getting married, foals, retirement, the works. AJ had a few more- apparently saving the world a few times qualified!

For most of the family it was a special earth pony tradition, where the love and affection they felt for kin and home spread into the very earth beneath them. Ambrosia was different, and as such Applejack wanted to make sure Twilight was on hoof so she could help with the magical portion of it all. "So, what sorta apple tree n' apple do ya wanna have for yer very own?" She asked as she bent down to be closer to her daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

It took about a minute or two for the little filly to recognize the significance of what was happening right now, filled as her head was with dreams of the future, pride in her abilities, and the normal flittiness of foals her age.  But soon enough orange-mama's loving care herded her attention to the little patch of earth that in a very real way would be her very own.  No matter where her future took her, to a runway, a true Princess' throne, or maybe just to the marriage-house of a lucky S.O., her roots would be in Sweet Apple Acres.

Therefore, to Applejack's question, there was only one answer.  "Ambrosia!  That's my name, that's my apple!"  She beamed in excitement, eager to see her namesake give forth it's branches, leaves, blossoms, and fruit!

• Like 1

5HbB79Q.png

"It is your name! Your beautiful name!" Applejack burst out, her heart unable to contain itself as she picked up her daughter, kissed her like she needed to be kissed, then put her down as she felt a twinge in her back. "And yer lil' apple tree will be just as special as you," she said as she started looking for Ambrosia seeds. "Alright sugarcube, while I do this I want you to dig yerself tha right hole like we taught ya," Applejack said, her heart trembling with excitement. Soon her daughter would leave a mark on these fields that would last generations, that would be known by future Apples as Ambrosia Apple's Ambrosia Apple tree. The love she put into it would reflect in the quality of the apple, and if tended well and proper, would be making ponies happy for a century or more. 

image.png

Twilight sat down, making herself comfortable. She had her own role to play but not at this moment. She could not help but smile. She loved many things about the Apples, but their adherence to their cherished traditions was an invaluable part of both their familial and personal legacies. Some ponies considered it old fashioned, but Twilight considered it an undeniably vital part of Equestrian history. It was also very cute. "Ambrosia, what can you tell me about...Seedling day?" Twilight asked, ready to be educated by her student.

Proud as she was of her magic, Ambrosia's sense of control was not quite sufficient to give her confidence in anything but her hooves to use a spade.  Empowered by the magic of momma's kisses, she set to work, breaking the soft, fertile earth as she made a hole for her seedling.  

"I'm a grown Apple now, so I grow apples!"  Ambrosia explained, with the same plain tone that one would say the grass was green, the water wet, or her mommas were beautiful.  Obvious fact of life, just like everything else Applejack had taught her.  Ambrosia's horizons were not yet set beyond this farm, and this town, her ambitions unanchored to any thoughts of leaving Sweet Apple Acres... just yet, anyway. 

• Hearthoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

5HbB79Q.png

Applejack was ever proud of her little filly. She was very different from her mouth, her brother, her uncle- most Apples throughout time. But that difference made her unique and special and this Day would go a long way to making sure that her legacy would endure. She watched Ambrosia dig at the ground and try to make her whole suitable for the seed. As Applejack watched Ambrosia work, she leaned on the cart and got the rest of it ready. "Seedling Day is one of tha most important moments of a young Apple's life," Applejack started, too excited to talk about it to remember she had brought Twilight into this already. "This apple tree will be her apple tree, a tree that will be a reminder for future generations. It's one of the best traditions in all the land, if I say so myself. And I do!" She ended with a less than dignified giggle. She was just too dang excited.

image.png

Twilight rolled her eyes playfully before looking at Ambrosia as she finished the hole. Twilight knew well the power of the affection that familial traditions could provide and the Apples took that to a new level. It was why she was shocked but pleased that Applejack had offered her a role in the Seedling Day, and why she was happy to see Amby ready to move on. Applejack opened the bag and took out a single seed meant to grow an Ambrosia apple tree. "Ambrosia, take one of these here seeds an' go over ta Twilight," Applejack said. "And when you do, we have one thing we'll do together before you plant it," Twilight added, her horn lighting up lightly.

With all the joyful solemnity due to the occasion, Ambrosia took the seed from Applejack, as if it were the most precious jewel that could ever be put in a crown, and slowly carried it towards Twilight.  "What are you gonna do?"  She asked, wide eyes, as she expected some amazing magic to happen.  Was there a princess for her mother's Seedling Day?  For all she knew, there could have been.  Princess Celestia did grant the Apples this land herself, after all...

• Hearthoof 1

image.png

Twilight took the seed in her own magic and gently held it in front of her as she beckoned the filly to approach. The next step would be easy enough for Ambrosia to do with what she had learned so far magically, but Twilight was here to help direct it. And now Ambrosia would have her very own tradition, and maybe future unicorn members could follow! Or not. It was up to history. When Ambrosia was close enough, Twilight started to slowly lean the seed towards Ambrosia.

"Ambrosia, you are a very special pony, and a very special Apple. And you will help everypony to remember that, starting now," Twilight said with a smile, bringing the filly closer. "I want you to take the seed in your magic and lower it into the hole you have dug. When you do so, try to imagine writing your name on the seed itself. And make sure you give it a kiss while you do so, because love and friendship is the greatest magic of all!" She said as she waited for Ambrosia to take the seed in her very own magic.

Ambrosia didn't need a Princess to tell her she was special; her mama said that every day!  But it was still nice to hear that, it made the statement somehow... official.  She was ceremonial even in casualness, giving her the seed that would mark her entrance in the great orchard of Applekind.  The little filly took it up with equal gravity, holding it in the glow of her magic.  Drawing it close to her lips, she gave it a little kissy-kiss, marking it with a glowy letter 'A', not yet having the control to write her full name small name small enough to fit on a seed.  That would come later, but for now, the little glowing spark of life was settled in the fertile earth, ready like her to take the long journey to full fruitful growth!

image.png5HbB79Q.png

Applejack was very, very proud as she watched her little daughter go to work. She was always very proud and always pleased at her progress, but...well, it was hard to not feel that extra surge whenever Ambrosia did something new and special. And today, she was doing something special. She leaned down and gave her daughter a hug. "Yer gonna eat real good tonight, sugarcube," she said with a kiss before standing back up, her back creaking. Already tired, she hitched the wagon back up and smiled back to the two of them.

"Alright, sugarcube. We'll talk later- Ah know you wanna learn yerself some pretty magic with a pretty purple Princess," she stuck her tongue out, while Twilight shot back quickly. "You think I'm cute, do you?" She asked with excess smarm, eyebrows raised. Applejack walked away with a roll of the eyes while Twilight finished writing in her notebook. After a few more seconds she stood up and smiled, waving a hoof to follow.
"Well, want to continue our walk and talk, or would you rather do something else?"

Hugging her mama back, Ambrosia felt proud of herself.  Well, in a different manner than she usually did.  Not because of her inherent cuteness, but because she was now fully participating in what was most important to her mama: family.  "Thanks mama!  I'll see you after lessons!"

Though the full implications of the conversation between the two adults was, like their muzzles, all over her head, she did catch that mama thought Twilight was cute and pretty.  Which of course she was, all Princesses were cute and pretty!  That was why she, as a cute and pretty filly, had such a princess affinity.  QED.
Actually, though, that brought up a question: She had heard that Twilight was not always a Princess, so what exactly changed for her to become one?  Could Ambrosia actually become a Princess too?  These vaguely conceptualized curiosities came out in a question to answer a question:  "Twilight, were you always that pretty?"

image.png

Twilight laughed. Oh, was she always this pretty? Was she even pretty? She surmised that she was rather regal to some extent, but attractive? She would be the wrong pony to ask. She certainly would never have imagined herself as being anything special. She didn't think she was ugly by any stretch but pretty? Cute? Beautiful? Maybe she just lacked that natural talent for developing her own self-esteem in terms of appearance, but she just thought she was rather plain.

She dismissed a lot of the reactions she got as the effect of her royalty blinding others. It wasn't Twilight Sparkle they were attracted to or found in any fashion special, it was just her title. The splendor, the royal bearing, the power and grace that came to an Alicorn? Easy enough to slot such flirtations under that banner, even if she tried to forget that many of those flirtations came before that time...and from unusual sources. "I don't know. That's a question for my mom, I guess. I do know that pretty or not, I'm happy being me, and being happy with who you are is the best way to make you feel as pretty on the outside as you are on the inside."

Twilight sure was using a lot of words, in a way that Ambrosia saw all grown ups do when they thought she didn't know what she was talking about.  Which was ridiculous!  If there was anything the cutest little filly in Equestria would know about, it was being pretty and who else was pretty.  It was time for the student to become the master, and set her teacher straight on the facts of life! 

She put her hoof down, stating definitively, "You are pretty.  You're a Princess!"  It was just so blindingly obvious to her, the two were practically equivalent terms!  But now it was time to come to the important part of the question.  "I'm pretty.  Will I be a Princess?"

image.png

Twilight had to suppress a smile. She didn't try all that hard however, so it probably showed pretty easily. Ambrosia was very certain that she understood what being pretty meant and Twilight knew that she should have known better than try to teach Professor Pretty about the nature of beauty. Plus, she was perhaps too young to really understand what she was trying to get across. Well, she was known for trying to soapbox a bit too much. So, for now, she would have to acquiesce to Ambrosia's expert opinion.

"Well, if you say I'm pretty I suppose it has to be true. You are the expert on cute things, after all," she looked up at the orchard then back to the littlest Apple. "As for becoming a Princess, hmm? Tell me, what would you be the Princess of? Princess of...dresses? Apples? Oooh, should I tell your mom that she should prepare to hoof over the farm to you," she said as she started to dramatically and playfully turn around to find Applejack and tell her the good news!

Beaming at having her expertise acknowledged, Ambrosia cogitated over the next query her authoritative voice was called for.  What would she be the Princess of?  Dresses or Apples, dresses or apples?  It was a hard question, tugging her between two parts of her heart.  Pretty Dresses, family tradition... oh, wait, the answer was obvious.  "Princess of Apples *and* Dresses!"  She called out decisively and triumphantly, only to find that this declaration would have consequences!  The whole farm, because she was Princess of Apples!?... Actually, that made total sense, now that she thought about it.  But that raised further questions; she was the Princess of Dresses too, so that meant... "And Auntie Rarity's shop too?"

• Apple 1

image.png

"Ohh, very ambitious!" Twilight replied. Being the Princess of two very different but important facets of Equestrian life- apples and dresses, was there even a third?- would be very hard work. She'd have to wake up extra early to do the Princess of Apples work, probably meaning she would have to personally bless each and every tree and use her magic to make the trees grow faster and with bigger, jucier fruits. And then she would have to work hard, trying to bless every dress in Equestria! Oh, did she even understand what the thread count on every dress even meant? Well, she would after being Princess of dresses! And oh, all the designers always fighting about everything. What a turbulent Princesshood she was signed up for.

"And yes, I do believe that Rarity's shops- all of them- would fall under your rule. I am sure she would be enamored with all of the ideas of Princess Ambrosia, Princess of Apples and Dresses. Or would it be Dresses and Apples?" She pondered, wondering which one would come first. After all, they had to pay a lot for the castle stationary and you didn't want to make them have to redo the work. That came out of the royal budget after all! She led the filly back towards the cellar where they had been practicing. "How are you feeling?"

Ambrosia was pleased as punch to hear that Auntie Rarity would be happy with her coronation.  She would certainly have no qualms about appointing the unicorn as her Royal Tailor, and who wouldn't be glad about that?  Though, that did raise the question of what her official title order would be, though the little filly had no doubt about that, either.  "Apples and Dresses.  A comes before D."  She knew her alphabet, she was a smart foal!

"I'm feeling great, Princess!"  And she was, the little break and walk had re-energized her youthful magic stores, and the ceremony had topped off the overflowing love in her heart.  If she were a changeling, she'd be practically a butterball by now with all the affection she was showered in every day.

• Hearthoof 1

image.png

"Very astute observation, Ambrosia. Who helped teach you the alphabet?" Twilight asked as the pair rounded down into the cellar. It was well and good that the future Princess at least had the order of her titles down already., and even had a good reason for it. An inarguable one, at that. And if you could start your rule off right with logic as sound and well-mannered as that, then you were destined for truly great things. Well, as long as you become a Princess, at least. That was the very first step in the program. Hopefully, Ambrosia was right and being super pretty was all it took because that would certainly open up the future for other ponies!

"I'm happy to hear that you're feeling great. We still have a lot of ground to cover, but you have some of the most basic magical strengthening techniques. So the next phase is really up to you, and with that comes a lot of experimentation," Twilight said as they entered the cellar. It was time to see Ambrosia start to get creative with her magic. It wouldn't really develop into brand-new magical talent, but what it really would do is allow Ambrosia to test out how her magic felt as she tried different things. A unicorn would come to know all the different nuanced tingles and waves that came with different magical use. 

"Mama taught me!"  Ambrosia chimed up when asked.  Of course Applejack was Amby's first teacher; there was no way she was going to let her precious little filly go to school without giving her an even chance to impress the teacher as much as she did her parents.  Not that her alphabetical lessons had translated into full phonetic mastery, let alone full literacy, as yet, but she wouldn't fall behind in that respect, especially with Twilight's teachings as supplements to her education.

Speaking of which... she was being asked about what she wanted to cover next, for practice.  This was actually the first time that the Princess had given her such latitude, and it left her stumped for a moment or two.  "Ummm...."  She ruminated, sticking her tongue out in concentration.  "Making Tea!"  That was a good thing, right?  That was a thing that grown-ups like Rarity did, and Princesses, so Princess magic, especially the magic of the Princess of dresses, must know how to do that!

image.png

Twilight could only imagine how stubborn a teacher Applejack was. It was thought of- very rudely- that Applejack was not as smart as some of her friends, or at the very least didn't value education as highly. Not only was this rude but it was fundamentally wrong. There were few mares who were as strident about the value of a solid education as Applejack because while the day to day of farm work was physically taxing, taking care of the farm on a business level and an administrative level required a lot of thought and care. She was a smart mare and she was going to raise a smart filly.

"Tea sounds great. What type of tea is your favorite?" Twilight asked as she made herself comfortable once more in the basement. Tea time wasn't part of the lesson plan per se but when you were helping a little filly, you had to assume a tea party or two would make an appearance. Besides, she liked tea. Nothing helped soothe her more than tea, besides being around those she cared for. And today she would get to share tea with a wonderful little friend, so it really made it all the better. "Mine is earl grey."

There was only one correct answer to the question of what your favorite tea was, as far as Ambrosia was concerned.  "Apple Sinna-mon!"  It was so sweet, and warm... plus mama wasn't going to let her drink anything with caffeine in it when she was this young.  A little filly needed her beauty sleep, and also not to have her growth be stunted.  But a healthy drink of apple and spices was something Amby could enjoy every day.

• Hearthoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

"Apple Cinnamon? Well, that is delightfully on brand, now isn't it," Twilight said with a lilting giggle as she got comfortable in preparation for a tea party. She wondered just how many tea parties were happening at this very moment across this varied land of theirs. How many cups were brewing, kettles calling, and friendly smiles exchanged at this very moment? They say you never really understood your friends until you sat down with them to share some tea. She didn't know if she fully bought into that idea from a philosophical sense as it seemed trite to suggest every mundane activity had to great import to be imparted with value as opposed to possessing it intrinsically. What she did know was that she liked some gentle earl grey and was happy that the young Apple filly already had a favorite.

"Do you have tea parties with your friends often?" She asked, having to eventually cross that barrier. She would be a poor Princess of Friendship if she didn't ask about the friendship status of a student, wouldn't she? Besides, tea parties were best served with friends. Stuffed animals could substitute, but they were often very lethargic guests for the afternoon.