About roleplaying..

Appliance

I was creating an application for my mare, but when I came upon the part about occupation, I knew I wanted her to be part of a guard of some sort. Is Celestia's royal guard the only guard there is?

Just wondering.

There is currently little established show canon for any sort of military in Equestria. The bronies here, however, have taken the liberty of writing up additional lore to flesh out what a theoretical military for Equestria might be like. You can find information about the Royal Equestrian Army and the special forces (Her Majesty's Honor Guard) in my signature under the REA link.

A parallel civilian institution called the Destriers also exists in the context of the board. From these we draw our knight-themed ponies. The REA and the Destriers have an intense ongoing rivalry, as while they both strive to protect Equestria from threats both within and without, they have very different means and end goals. The REA leans more towards pragmatism while the Destriers lean more towards altruism. There is also a link to the Destriers document in my signature.

While these organizations are not yet fully accepted as board canon, they serve as a guidelines for most of the players looking to make military ponies. Hope this helps.