Future Equestria Sports!

Skye

You've asked, and here's a response!

It's been asked before about Equestrian events being 'officially' supported and/or canon. Well, we already know there is a race (The Running of the Leaves) and we can tell that there are other sport like Hoofball and acrobatics competions that likely lead in to Wonderbolts tryouts and such. As a result, we've decided to take a closer look at some of these sports and how they would be played out in Roleplay. Basing on the success of the Running of the Leaves event, as short-noticed as it was, it seems that you all would definitely enjoy other events and sports as well! So here's what we're going to do.

I'm going to put a list of sports here that we are considering 'Canon' and can possibly be events. There will, of course, be a few caveats that are important.

Rules:

• Must be a Team or Competitive Sport. This means that either a pair of ponies or a team of ponies are required to play. Individual Sports aren't any fun if only one pony is required to play. An RP is a multiple character affair, otherwise it's just a fic. So an interactive sport such as a race or a competition only.
  • Cannot be a God Mode sport (Like Olympic Weightlifting. Seriously, how many ponies out there can claim to lift a thousand pounds and not be a freak of nature? Same goes for plow pulls. Too easy to claim to be the 'strongest pony ever'. Racing is different, there are ways to regulate that.)
  • Must allow for Winners, Losers, Sub-ins and Drop-outs. Sometimes a pony cannot continue in an RP as a result of circumstances or would like to join in and need to have some kind of way to 'tap in' or 'tap out'. The sport needs to also have a clear ending (Points, or Destination) and a way to determine when a winner (or winning team) has reached the goal.
  • Above all, it must be fun!

Here are the currently suggested events:

• Hoofball (Rules to be discussed later in future posts)
  • Cloud Racing ( Rules to be discussed later in future posts)
  • Witty Gritty (A comedy one-liner slinging contest, rules to be discussed later)
  • Story Hour (Competitive Story Telling, rules to be discussed later)

More to come!

Let the suggestions and discussion begin!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Well, I can think of a few things when I look back at what we've seen in the show... :blush:

Perhaps a competitive martial arts tournament? Call of the Cutie shows that martial arts is a thing in Equestria and Show Stoppers calls back to it. Only problem there is it might be hard to set it up so that it progresses fairly

I think it's been suggested on the forum before, but something similar to the Iron Pony competition from Fall Weather Friends is an idea to consider. That might be hard to make remarkably interesting though.

Not really a sport exactly, but there's a lot of baking on the show. Maybe some kind of cooking competition? I can't really think of how it would work exactly. Just throwing it out there.

Pinkie and Twilight ice skate in Winter Wrap Up. That opens the door to a lot of assorted winter sports, I think.

Maybe some kind of talent competition like Show Stoppers? Again, this probably wouldn't work, and again it's not really a sport. Just something to consider.

And that's about all I can think of at the moment