[Canterlot] Branching Out

Chonico

For many centuries, the city of Canterlot, capital of Equestria, has been the center for the gathered knowledge, expanding commerce, and politics that govern the land. Under the ever watchful eye of Princess Celestia, now joined at her side by her sister Luna, the city has thrived and welcomed any creature, pony or otherwise that has sought audience with the nobles of the land for important matters, or simply sought a day of distractions.

While peace is kept through the efforts of the Royal Guard Ponies, honorable and diligent in their oath to protect the princesses, the land, and the ponies that reside in it. The appeal and glamour of Canterlot itself is constantly fed and replenished by the scholars, artists, entertainers and merchants that make it their home, or a valued stop in their travels.

If a pony seeks knowledge, he or she simply needs but to search the books found in one of its many libraries or bookstores that adorn every city block. If a pony seeks entertainment or art, the countless venues found throughout the city are more than enough to sate from the most mundane to the most critical of pallets. And, if a pony seeks anything from the latest clothing fashion to the smallest of souvenir trinkets, they simply only have to make their way towards the enormous market district filled with all sorts of ponies with their carts, stalls, shops, or boutiques trying to attract wondering ponies so that they take a look at their wares and products.

It is indeed a glamorous, vibrant city filled with the pastel colors of the ponies and creatures that walk its streets. Perhaps, because of that, it is no surprise that a clay covered Pegasus pony pulling a cart would go unnoticed as he made his way through the market district, seeking a suitable spot to peddle his wares.

“Just as I expected, Canterlot is still as glamorous as I remember it from when I was a foal… Hmm, I do not believe that the market was this crowded back then. But then again, I was always flying and hardly ever walking.”

Nymbus Claypot, or Clay for short, left his home in the Saddleveil Plains in an effort to travel around Equestria and expand the customer base for his business. The cart which he pulled was covered with an orange tarp, and hid its contents from view. Anypony walking by though would have had to wonder just what was inside it since he was walking instead of flying through the air like most Pegasus pony did. The simple answer was that it was simply too heavy to fly with.

“Well, this seems as good as a spot as any to open up shop. A bit far from the hustle and bustle of the main market road but quality and beauty is always were you least expect it.” Clay told himself with a chuckle and a grin as he undid his harness and walked towards the back of his cart.

Grabbing a hold of the tarp with his teeth and lifting it off the cart, he began to straighten it out as he set it on the floor in front of his cart. The contents of the cart were made bare to all on looking ponies. It was filled with delicate ceramic pieces ranging from exquisite porcelain tea cups, to rough earthen urns and pots.

Once the tarp was nicely laid out, he began to carefully take the pieces out one by one and set them on the tarp. Every piece in the cart was hoofmade by him, and each was a testament to the care, effort, and attention he devoted to making them. They had survived the trip out to Canterlot, so he did not want to break any simply because he wasn’t being careful. After a few minutes though, having only emptied about a third of his cart, he was done and ready to start.

“There, those should get some eyes looking this way.” Clay thought to himself as he walked around the tarp with a critical eye and stopped next to his cart. “Hmm, guess I should spruce myself up a bit too though.”

Stretching out his wings, Clay shook and patted himself a few times in an effort to get rid of some of the dried clay that hung to his coat. It was not very effective.

“Hmm, well, I tried at least.”

With that, Clay reached over the side of his carts towards the back of it and pulled open a satchel and dug through it a bit. He reemerged holding a bag of tail mix and a book in his mouth. He quickly set the bag on the floor and the book in front of himself as he folded his legs underneath him and laid down. With a quick flick of his muzzle, he opened the book to where he last left off and then stuck his muzzle into his trail mix bag to take a few bites of its content before he began to read.

“ZZZZzzzzzZZZZZzzzz”

Not a minute had passed by and Clay was now passed out with his face buried in the open book. Pulling the cart had been harder and more tiring that he would have liked to admit.

It was a good day.

A fine day.

A great day.

For practicing hoofwork, that was.

Silversword held a practice blade in her muzzle, with the hilt firmly clenched in her jaws.

She galloped to the practice dummy, and with a quick swing of her head, slashed it in half. When she was finished examining her bladework, she moved on to the next one, and it, too, was slashed, as hay flew out of the dummy, landing gently upon the ground.

After an hour and a half, she was panting, sweaty, chest heaving as she finished the last couple of dummies. She knew unicorns would fix them later, so she was grateful for that. She was, however, done for the day, as she had practiced with the other Squires earlier.

This gave her a chance to roam Canterlot.

Not like this, though. she reminded herself, and she went to go freshen up, changing her armor for a simple cloak.

Now she was clean, although quite a bit more tired, and very sore.

She ambled down the streets at her liesure, wincing every now and then because of her sore limbs.

Silversword took the path that went through the market district, finally using her wings to hover a few inches above the ground to give her hooves a break. The main path in the market district was crowded with ponies hawking their goods, and those that were haggling. She flew around, on a quieter path, and soon came across a "shop" that interested her.

Assorted earthenware. The type of things only very skilled ponies, with deft hooves could create. With a gentle whump, she landed on the ground, approaching warily.

A shop would mean that there would be an owner.

And an owner would, of course, try to sell her his or her wares for exorbitantly high prices, especially as they were in Canterlot, the most economically rich location in the area.

Ears perked, she slipped closer, trying to get a second look. It wasn't often that one saw goods of this quality.

As she approached, Silversword saw something that surprised her: A sleeping owner!

Well, she assumed it was the owner, as the stallion was covered in clay, next to his cart and wares.

What type of shop owner would do that? Why, anypony without virtue could simply appear and take pots and cups without his noticing!

Frowning, she approached, emboldened by the thought. She would help this stallion. She would sit by his goods as he rested, making sure nopony would attempt to flich something.

Perhaps, she mused, this shop-owner dragged the cart by himself. I've heard tell of those from lands further on taking their goods to different locations with better prospects at business.

That would make it understandable that he had fallen asleep.

And so, without a second thought, she took her cloak off and gently draped it over the stallion, trotting 'round to the other side of the goods, setting herself down on her flank and waiting until the stallion awoke, so she could leave.

*YAWN*

Clay suddenly stirred from his unexpected nap. He wasn’t sure how long he had dozed off, but one groggy and hazed-out look at his wares spread before him, and he knew it hadn’t been long enough to attract ponies to “window” shop at his store.

Smacking his lips a few times, he stood and began to stretch as he lunged forward and back, and turned his neck this way and that. Each movement gave way to cracks and pops as his joints and muscles awoke from their restful nap. It had been invigorating and Clay was starting to feel like a new pony.

*YAAAAWWWNN*

One final yawn and he began to stretch and out his wings, but something felt heavy on them. Looking at his back, he could see that something was draped over him.

“A cloak? I don’t believe I was wearing a cloak before my mid-day nap…”

He looked around and finally noticed the stoic looking Pegasus sitting next to his goods. He simply tilted his head slightly and gave her a smile. He reached back behind him and, taking a bite of the cloak, he gave it a yank and took it off before fanning it out and laying in down in front of him. He began to fold it neatly, taking care to keep the edges straight.

“Evening M’lady! Welcome to my humble store…” He gave a wave of his hoof, pointing at the open space around them, and then brought it down to rest atop the neatly folded cloak in front of him.

“Please take a look at my wares and tell me your pleasure.”

Silversword had been sitting like a statue, carefully watching over the stallions' wares, ever vigilant lest somepony take something without paying the bits for it.

She was patient, knowing that once the stallion woke up, she would be able to view his goods and perhaps even purchase one, to give to her parents.They quite enjoyed tea, and the beautiful porcelain cups would give them a little reminder that their daughter thought of them always.

It's a nice thought and all, but what about the bits? her wings fluttered a bit as the thought came to her, and she was a bit distraught.

However, she dismissed the thought and turned her head, as she heard yawning, followed by stretching.

She heard the cracks and pops that meant that the stallion probably had stiff joints, from the position he was napping in, perhaps, or the long task of carting around his creations.

"A cloak? I don't believe I was wearing a cloak before my mid-day nap..." The stallion had stated.

Ah, so he was awake now. Silversword tucked her wings in carefully and watched as he smiled at her and folded her cloak.

It was a polite thing to do, but storeponies often were polite to potential customers, so she didn't take it as a sign of graciousness just yet.

"It's a very nice store," Silversword began hesitantly, "But as you slept, anypony without an ounce of virtue or honor could have simply snatched anything."

She looked over his clay-covered pelt, and raised an eyebrow.

"However. That being said, the quality of your work surprises me. I quite like the porcelain cups. " she stated, cringed slightly, knowing the price would probably be incredibly high.

“Ah yes, porcelain…” He gave the porcelain cups a quick judging glance. “The end result is beautiful and elegant, but, quite a delicate medium to work with. Add too much water, and it will never hold a shape. Add too little, and it becomes too brittle and dries before you even given it a shape… Also, it does not help that it is expensive as well.”

Clay let out a little chuckle as he made small talk and gave a toothy grin to the Pegasus with the silver coat. As he did though, his eyes were vibrant with curiosity. He was carefully observing her, curious as to just what kind of pony she was, his thoughts throwing back and forth conclusions and questions. After a few seconds though, he simply smiled at her again and let out a shallow sigh as he looked at his wares and the folded cloak under his hoof.

“M’Lady, you strike me as a pony who might appreciate what my old pottery teacher used to say… ‘Every thing you do requires the right amount of gentleness and force in one way or form. Trial and error is the only way to learn.’ I like to think ponies are the same in that respect.”

Clay picked up the folded cloak in his hoof and held it in front of him, looking at it as he cocked his head a bit to the side. With a sudden thrust from his wings, he was airborne and began to fly around his cart and his laid out wares as he addressed Silversword, constantly smiling at her.

“Take for example this cloak. You mentioned that somepony might have decided to snatch some of my wares while I had my impromptu nap, and yet, as likely as that was, it would appear as equally likely that somepony would show a gesture of kindness. In order for me to mold my wares, I have to be gentle and forceful in adequate amounts, add water and remove it when needed. Ponies are no different in that respect. We are kind and forceful, aggressive and gentle…”

Clay suddenly flew over Silversword and with one quick motion of his head, he unfolded the cloak and let go of it as it floated down and draped over her. Within a second, he was hovering in front of her with a goofy grin on his face.

“As a humble potter, I do not believe ponies lack virtues, but simply believe they have yet to learn from trial and error… A beautiful pony as you should not be so quick to jump to worst case scenarios. Although, I suppose it comes with the job.” He continued smiling as he lazily floated to the ground next to her and then trotted over to his cart. He quickly began to rummage through it looking for something as he continued talking to her. The whole time though, he had been observing her with his curious gaze and, given her mannerisms and posture, he ventured a guess at her job.

“So M’Lady, it is not often Royal Guards, even off duty ones, show an interest in my wares. But then again, it is not often I come to Canterlot to sell them… May I ask the occasion?”

Silversword listened to the salespony talk about the delicate process of creating porcelain cups, a slight frown crossing her features, her feathers ruffling a bit in agitation.

Expensive. He's trying to tell you that you can't afford it, she thought to herself, her fiery eyes narrowing slightly, until she heard him speak again, his smooth words washing over him like cool water on a hot day. Unsure of what to think, she pressed her lips together tightly, watching him carefully, her expression both one of wonder and distrust.

She did not understand why this stallion was telling her all this. Perhaps he was lonely, and was glad for the company? Or perhaps it was a scheme in order to get her to purchase his wares?

Silversword watched him closely, focusing on his body language.

He seems honest.

Her ears perked as she heard him speak, and she considered her own experiences. She was aggressive to others when they did dishonorable things, but gentle to her parents, who she held dear above all things. Just as she was beginning to lose herself in thought, she felt something hover above her, a gentle breeze, and then her cloak gently fluttered down to her, the soft fabric quietly settling itself on her body.

This stallion smiled, constantly smiled, at her. Why did he seem so glad? She had merely sat beside his cart, merely watched over his creations as he had had slept, a peaceful look upon his features.

She did not understand. Rarely did a pony smile at her like that, and it confused her.

Cautiously, she returned the gaze, her expression changing from stiff and serious to bemused, as she noticed the salespony flying in front of her, a wide grin upon his face.

“As a humble potter, I do not believe ponies lack virtues, but simply believe they have yet to learn from trial and error… A beautiful pony as you should not be so quick to jump to worst case scenarios. Although, I suppose it comes with the job.”

The look on Silverswords' face changed from mildly puzzled to very bemused, and a bit surprised at the compliment. She quickly stared down at her own hooves, her cheeks a bit pink as she mumbled something under her breath, which sounded oddly like, "I have never had very much reason to jump to a good conclusion."

As he rummaged through his cart, curiosity overcame her, and the mare looked up from her hooves, quietly watching, cringing every time she thought he might accidentally crush something.

Upon his last question, though, she became even more puzzled, if possible. She could not see how he could have realized that she was a Guard pony.

Yes, although her hooves were riddled with small cuts and thin scars that would soon fade, she had not been wearing her armor.

So exactly how was it that he could tell? Her tail twitched in agitation, wondering exactly who this traveling salespony was.

He has asked me a question, however, she reminded herself, and her wings shuffled again, as if they would like to answer for her.

"...Destrier," she began cautiously, watching him carefully as she spoke, her voice quiet, not entirely sure he could hear. "I am not one for luxuries. But these are very.. beautiful creations." Silversword murmured, her eyes taking in all the details of the different things.

"Also, I would like to get something for my par-- for someponies I know. They are quite fond of tea," she finished, sticking one silvery-green wing out, and preening, a nervous habit of hers.

Clay listened to Silversword as he continued to rummage through his cart. He was looking for something specific, something he knew he had brought with him but exactly where in his cart it lay was a mystery to him.

Hmm, posture and cutie mark are dead giveaways that she’s somehow involved in the Royal Guard, but a Destrier? She seems almost too slim for such a job…” He thought to himself as he continued to rummage through his wares. “Though, it would explain her comment about jumping to good conclusions… Such a pitty...” He had also heard her almost silent mumble, but he would keep that to himself for now.

Clay stopped for a second and began to circle his cart, deciding to look on the other end of it so as to not have to take everything out of it.

“Thank you!” He replied to the comment about his wares. “I would hardly call them luxuries, but think more of them as being… well, a beloved hobby of mine.” He paused again and raised his hoof to tap his chin as he thought of something. “Well, actually, I suppose that would be a luxury in and of itself, being able to do what you enjoy. Wouldn’t you agree?”

He stopped as he observed her preening one of her wings. Clay could not help but raise a curious eyebrow and simply trotted back over to her and sat down in front of her.

“Guess being able to relax while off duty is also a luxury…” He gave her a goofy toothy grin as he noticed that she seemed a bit tired. “I would imagine that’s why you came to the market place. Maybe a little relaxation after today’s training?"

Clay then stood back up and trotted back towards his cart. He stopped half way and then turned around and trotted back before sitting back down on his haunches in front of her again, cocking his head a bit to the side as he smiled at her.

“How rude of me, forgive me M’Lady Destrier. I am Nimbus Claypot …”

He gave her a little bow and then straightened back up into his sitting pose.

“Also known as ‘Clay the Clay Hermit,’ your humble potter and at your service M’Lady Destrier.”

As he said this, he puffed out his chest a bit and gave himself a gentle pat with his hoof, sending off a small cloud of dust into the air. For a salespony, Clay certainly didn’t act like one, having yet to make any discernible sales pitch of anykind.

This stallion certainly is very... strange, Silversword thought to herself as she watched the salespony rummage around, looking for something that evaded him.

"... A luxury? Perhaps. But it is more of a luxury to find a balance," she said quietly, nearly flattening herself upon the ground in order to see his wares without touching them. She hated to feel silly, but she was really quite curious..

This time, her curiosity had overcome her pride.

When she was satisfied, and remembered her pride, she sat up and continued to preen.

Slightly startled when he sat in front of him, her wings fluttered wildly, and she hoped she hadn't accidentally smacked him with them.

"I am not much for relaxation.. My work is my life. But yes, I was seeking for a moment that was not used up to fight or help others." Silverswords' cheeks flared pink for a moment, before she composed herself, still slightly embarrassed about her statement.

Silversword watched him curiously, her eyes bright and wide, a bit of surprise upon her face.

A tiny smile crossed her features, the corners of her lips pulling up.

"Clay the clay hermit?" she queried, entertained by his mannerisms.

When he patted himself, a small cloud of dust rose, and Silversword graciously fluttered her wings once more, sending the dust away from the salespony.

He was different than the other vendors, she noticed.

Still, she was a bit confused.

Just what was he searching for? And why was he not attempting to sell his wares to Silversword?

He mentioned that this was a hobby for him, but..

Still, one had to eat. He had to sell. Was he just working his way up to it?

Clay continued to sit quietly after his introduction and stared at Silversword with a gentle but content smile. He would not mention it, but was kind of expecting something from the mare.

“Hmm, most ponies would give their names as well when introductions are done. But maybe she’s not much for the social scene? Perhaps it is a militant thing I am not aware of. Hmm, maybe more business then?” He quietly pondered to himself as he further analyzed Silversword.

After a few seconds of staring, he stood back up and glanced at his wares and then back at Silversword. She had mentioned the ponies she knew liked tea, so perhaps now was a perfect time to throw in a little business with the formalities.

“So M’Lady Destrier…” He flew back towards his cart as he talked to her. “As a good salespony, I should be able to read my customers as to better be able sell to them. I’m afraid I have not been keeping up with that image have I? You will have to forgive me for my lack of sale pitches but I personally like to throw in a little bit of a social element into my conversations with customers. Makes things a little bit more entertaining if you ask me. Plus, you never know where you will make some friends…”

With a smile and one quick flap of his wings, Clay began to hover over his cart as to better get a view at its contents from a different perspective. He spotted what he was looking for and landed on one of the rims of the cart before beginning to move pots around.

“Ah HA, I believe I have found what I was looking for.” With that, he hoped into the cart, his head and unfurled wings being the only things now visible as he continued to move more stuff around.

“Tell me, M’Lady Destrier. You mentioned that you wanted something for your, hmm… par... par... parrot? No, entertaining idea but unlikely. Hmm… par… partner?” He stuck his head out from his cart and gave her an appraising look. “Hmm, yes, very likely. A beautiful Pegasus such as yourself probably has colts and stallions showering your path with flowers and gifts. Yes, very likely but still…”

He paused for a long while as he picked up a hefty looking wooden box by its handle on top and, carefully lifting it with his muzzle, he flew out of the cart. Clay’s wing motions were careful and very gentle, and at no point did the box sway or rattle. He landed next to his ware and placed the box next to his hooves and quickly looked up at Silversword and gave her one of his goofy grins.

“That would be a shame though, having such fierce competition, haha…” He laughed a bit and turned to look at his wares. “No, I believe I may be right in saying that you are looking for a gift for your parents. Yes, far more likely than for a parrot.”

This time, he sat down on his haunches and placed a hoof over the wooden.

“I believe I may have something already in mind that I’d like to suggest, but please, M’Lady Destrier, select the pieces you like for them and I’ll be glad to tell you a little bit about them and provide you with some prices.”

Silversword nodded inwardly to herself as Clay the Clay Hermit, as he was called at times flew back to his cart.

He was reaching the part that would benefit him, and leave without bits, but a beautiful thing to take to her family.

She noticed that this stallion was full of a bustling energy, always flying here or there.

Nervous energy? She shrugged to herself.

"P..parrot? N-no, my pet is a blue jay," she murmured, looking up at the stallion, before her ears perked up, until she heard the word partner. Her ears flattened against her skull, and she backed up slightly, a slight blush upon her features, wings shuffling from anxiety.

"I'm really not the type to have admirers. Unapproachable and aggressive, I suppose," She hastily mumbled, her tail flicking from side to side like that of an agitated cat. She did not find herself beautiful, and found it strange that the stallion would think she would get gifts from others.

She stretched out her legs, another nervous habit, and stared at the ground for a moment, before hearing him speak again.

Silverswords' head lifted, her cheeks flushed and eyes bright as he cracked a joke she did not quite understand, and mentioned her parents.

Instantly, her pose relaxed, and she sat back up slowly, gently setting her flank down upon the ground.

She watched him, a curious look in her flame-colored eyes.

"Please. Call me Silversword. Such a formal title is not necessary for one such as I.." her voice drew off as she watched him, flying over with gentle flaps of his wings.

He smiled at her, again.

Perhaps I should return the smile, too? she thought, and gave it a try, smiling weakly, as if to compensate for her somewhat blunt tone of voice.

"Select pieces..? Well.." Silversword gently went through the contents of the box, before gingerly placing a hoof on a porcelain cup with a design of the ocean and sea birds on it.

She admired the delicate hoofwork necessary to create such a piece, and knew the price would probably be too much.

Silversword, however, would waste the bits she saved on food for something so lovely as this for her parents.

They deserved it.

Tentatively, she looked up, an unsure look upon her features, before she found herself staring at Clay.

“Nonsense! Being unapproachable is only the predecessor to a proper introduction… Besides, admirers are not limited to aspects of beauty, but open to merit, duty, and character. I would be hard pressed to believe that no pony has ever given you a compliment for either.” He let out a little chuckle and smiled at her attempt to smile. It was weak, but at least she was smiling a bit.

Clay continued sitting and observed Silversword make her selection. He couldn’t help notice that as she stared back at him, she looked somewhat unsure. The piece was a fine piece, part of what had once been a 5 piece set but…

“Hmm, interesting selection… It’s for her parents so, I wonder?”

He cocked his head a bit to the side allowing one of his ears to go limp and flap against his face.

“That one is an interesting selection, M’Lady Silversword…” He addressed her apparently misinterpreting what she meant when she said not to refer to her with such a formal title. “That was a commissioned 5 piece set requested by a rather interesting pony I meet at the most recent Grand Galloping Gala. You see, she is a hippochamp, a sea pony.”

Clay trotted over to his cart and pulled out another box with wrapped up pottery piece in newspaper. He took two out and began to un-wrap them to reveal one similar tea cup to the one Silversword had selected and a matching tea pot, which he then gingerly picked up and placed in front of her.

“Funny thing though, when the commission was finished and I went to deliver, she was ecstatic. Simply livid about receiving her tea set until we realized one small think we forgot… Tea and water do not mix well… Well, technically they do but it is rather hard to serve tea while underwater, would you not agree?”

At this point Clay let out a hardy laugh and stared at the 3 pieces he had out in front of himself and Silversword.

“She kept two of the cups though, for next time I stop by for tea. So, because of that, the set is not complete…”

This time around, Clay’s expression changed a bit as he looked at the pieces. His face showed a hint of uneasiness with curiosity. He brought up his hoof to his chin and gave it a few taps before speaking again.

“The pieces are for your parents, right M’Lady Silversword? May I ask about them? Also, if I may make a suggestion, I may have something more worthy in mind.”

• 4 weeks later...

Silversword blushed slightly as Clay the Clay hermit spoke, hooves shuffling nervously.

He seemed sweet, for a salespony, but she was unsure.

Was he merely being false with her, his saccharine behavior a pretense to get her to buy his products?

While Silver was no great judge of character, she noticed that Clay seemed to be honest with her, which made her feel better about the whole situation, almost..

Almost confident with it.

"Please. Call me Silversword." She had said hastily, cringing at the formality of the title. While she herself was a formal and solemn mare most of the time, she preferred to be called by her name, as she enjoyed simplicity.

She listened curiously as he described the circumstances of the fine pottery, idly wondering if he had gone to the Gala with somepony else, or if he had gone to do business.

Blushing very slightly, she reprimanded herself for such curiosity, and snapped back to attention, listening attentively to his story.

Quietly, she examined the teapot and cup set in front of her with a gentle hoof, before lifting her head to the salespony, a slight frown crossing her features for a fleeting moment.

"I've never met a seapony.. although I love the sea." Silversword mumbled, before turning back to glance at the pottery, ears perked as he continued to speak.

Her face was turned away from him, so she did not notice his change in expressions.

"Well, you are the creator of the pieces, so your opinion is more valuable than my own," she concluded, lifting her head once again, pushing her mane out of her eyes.

"Yes, you may ask, and all right." Silver stated, glancing away from Clay for a moment, wondering what it was he was thinking of.

• 1 month later...

Clay let out a small shameful smile and began to rub the back of his head with a hoof.

“My apologies Miss Silversword, err, I mean… Silversword.”

He had finally understood what she was referring to, but was still finding it hard to drop formalities. She was after all a customer and, although he found her to be rather the curious mare, he was not about to forget that. So, finally recovering his composure, he gave her a small bow to let her know of his understanding, and began to unfasten the wooden box he had brought over from his cart.

“Well, the reason I ask about your parents Mis-err- Silversword, is that, if I had to guess, your parents are not water faring ponies. Am I correct?” He paused for a second and looked at her with a wink.

Without waiting for a definite answer, Clay then began to pull out a new set of wrapped up pieces from the wooden, and carefully began to unwrap them and put them on display in front of him. He stepped back to allow her to get a good glimpse of each piece that made up the set.

It was a 7 piece porcelain tea set, much different from any he had on display. Each piece had an intricate design molded into the sides. On each cup, a scene from a rather elegant party was displayed, the kind of grand royal scene only found at the Grand Galloping Gala. Around the exterior of each, four early Ponithian Columns reached up to the lip of the cup to form arches and where evenly spaced each with a royal guard, both Unicorn and Pegasus. Each guard was represented in their telltale armor and stoic expression and posture.

The columns served to frame the elegant scenes taking place beyond them. In between each column, ponies dressed in elegant dresses could be seen mingling with each other, dancing, or enjoying the different variety of party favors and snacks. No visible mare was shown wearing the same dress and no scene was similar to any other scene found on each of the cups. On one cup, a scene of an orchestra was shown playing majestically to a crowd of slow dancing ponies. On another cup, a scene of a Pegasus stallion gracefully pirouetting with his dance partner above the heads of onlookers was shown. Each cup had its own set of different scenes, but none was as grand or regal as the scene found on the teapot itself.

The teapot had a long neck, a little over half the girth of the base. The spout, which was located close to the top of the neck, was made to resemble the statue of a unicorn’s head. The handle, placed on the opposite side of it resembled elegant Pegasus wings that extended well to the bottom of the teapot. There were only two scenes on the teapot, one on each side. Unlike the cups, each was similar except for the pony on which it centered. At the bottom, a scene of a multitude of gathered ponies, again all dressed in elegant attire, stood separated by a royal looking rug with an intricate design. Stationed along the edges of the rug, more royal guards were visible. In the middle of the rug, more ponies could be seen making their way to the grand royal staircase on which the royal rug continued to climb up. The staircase itself was carved into the neck of the teapot and towards the top of it stood a throne. In front of that throne, depending on which side you were looking at, Princes Celestia or Princess Luna could be seen with unfurled wings displaying all of their grandeur. Above each of the princesses’ head, their cutie mark was displayed on a royal banner.

Clay stood silent for a moment with a warm smile on his face as he observed Silversword. After a seconds pause, he took a few gentle steps forward and nudged the cups and teapot close to each other and turned them this way and that.

Placed together, the scenes visible on each cup seemed to effortlessly blend into the scene on the neighboring cup, creating a grand representation of the entire Grand Galloping Gala. The teapot itself, when placed in between the cups with the spout facing the viewer, created the illusion of an elegant Alicorn statue with its wings held regally behind its head with both the sun and the moon standing to its sides.

Clay stood quietly before sitting down on his haunches and cocking his head to the side.

“So Silversword, before we discuss the price of this particular set, may I have your opinion on it? I do believe your parents would rather love this.”