[Whitetail Woods] Hang in there, old friend. [Closed]

Davroth

"It's my duty to help others," Radiant said with a nod as the other thanked her. "Besides... I've always had a certain fondness for animals..."

That fondness wasn't really returned usually, but Radiant left that part out. She contently followed the other pony toward the next spring.

"Canterlot has all the splendor one might expect of the Royal Capital," said Radiant at the next question poised to her.. "It is grand, strong and beautiful. There is nowhere I've seen that I'd sooner live."

"Sound wondrous. I've seen Canterlot in the distance ever since I entered the Heartland, and I can't wait see it all for myself." he began, excitement vibrating in his voice. He then thought of something: "Have you ever met the exalted Celestia?"

He had heard lots of story about the godlike Celestia, head of the royal family in Canterlot. None of his family ever had a chance of seeing her, since she of course couldn't visit all the little settlements in the desert, let alone a group of nomads near the griffon territory.

"Do you think I might be able to see the exalted Celestia, Miss Radiant Steel, when I'm in Canterlot?" he asked her, while they made their way to the next spring.

Radiant gave a long sigh. She considered lying in order to leave a better appearance, but decided honest was best.

"No..." she said, blushing a little. It was embarrassing to admit just how lowly her position within the guard was. "I've dedicated my life to protecting her and her home... but I've never met her on a personal level. I'm new to the force... and I work outside the castle rather than within... and I work at night, when Her Majesty is sleeping."

"And I'm afraid an audience with the princess is a hard thing for just anypony to get," said Radiant, shaking her head. "Though I wouldn't say its totally hopeless if your concerns are truly pressing."

"Oh, I wouldn't dream to have an audience with the exalted one." Seeker began, slightly shivering by the thought alone. "It's just that the ponies of Ponyville talked about that the Celestia sometimes makes public appearances."

He thought back to the stories his father had told him about the great Celestia, who raises the sun and the moon, and who has watched over ponykind for hundreds of years. 'I wouldn't even know what to say.' he thought.

Seeker noticed that he had been silent for a few moments now. He cleared his throat. "No, just a chance to see her would be more then enough.", he said thoughtfully.

Once again, the sound of rushing water indicated that they were getting closer to the next spring.

"Oh, she makes frequent public appearances. You should be able to catch a glimpse of her easily enough," said Radiant nodded. "Especially in Canterlot. I've seen her many times, and each she takes my breath away..."

"I dream to someday meet her on a personal level, but at the same time the thought intimidates me," Radiant said. "Isn't that kind of silly? I mean, it might be my job to protect her someday..."

Radiant gave another long sigh and shook her head as they continued to approach the spring.

"Not at all, miss Radiant Steel." Seeker began. "After all, the exalted One is hundreds of years old, and has been out princess through all this time." He thought about it for a bit. "No, I think it's perfectly reasonable to be intimidated by this."

They reached the second spring, gushing out of a stony surface, ad forming a small pond before flowing away into the woods.

"I think we should go with the same approach as before." Seeker said. He concentrated to strengthen his illumination spell, and head of into the dark, calling for his dog.

Radiant nodded as Seeker told her it was okay to be intimidated. She still wasn't convinced. it was childish of her. A member of the REA should be stronger than that, even if it was the Princess they were talking about. Not even the princess was capable of intimidating Radiant's father, after all.

Soon they had reached the second spring. Radiant took to the skies immediately. "Yes, sir," she said in response to the unicorn. ANd with that, she began to look around the spring area for the dog.

"Blacky!" he called, "come here."

After the last spring, he wasn't terribly hopeful to find his dog here, but he wouldn't give up. Once again, the area around the spring seemed completely silent. Wild animals had probably fled from the light and sound they had made on their way here. Now that their were here, he couldn't let anything anything distract him.

"Blacky!"

Nothing. If only the water wasn't so loud, gushing out of the stones nearby. Not only that, but they were looking for a black dog in the night.

"Miss Radiant Steel" he called up into the sky "Do you see anything?"

Radiant flew around from side to side of the spring, looking for the dog. Everything was quiet save for the spring itself and nothing was really presenting itself to the pegasus.

"No, I'm not seeing any--!" Radiant cut herself off mid sentence when suddenly her eyes caught something on the other side of the spring, closer to where Seeker was.

"I think I saw something move slightly!" she said. "Behind those bushes over there..." she pointed in the direction.

Seeker darted into the direction the Pegasus pointed to. There were some bushes in the way, and ha didn't see anything yet.

"Blacky." he began "Blacky, is that you?"

As he came closer, Seeker thought he heard something. As he passed the bushes, he could see. In the light of his illumination spell, he saw his dog, lying on the ground. He was awake, but looked very weak. Without missing a beat, Seeker jumped to his side.

"Miss Radiant Steel!", he called, "It's him."

Instantly, Seeker started pulling out different items from the his saddlebags, a sheet, some glasses with food, a waterskin, a blanket. He then lifted the dog from the ground and placed him on the fresh sheet, pouring some food and water into a bowl placing it in front of Blacky..

He couldn't hold himself anymore. The light faded and the item lifted by his magic stopped dead in their track and sank to the ground. Tears accumulated in his eyes as he went closer to his dog, touching it with his muzzle, and shuddering with a strange combination of joy, fear, worries and relief. Thick tears dropped down from his eyes onto the sheet, and his head went blank for a moment, too overwhelmed with his feelings.

As he sat there on the ground, the world seemed to stand still for a moment. He had pushed forward all this time, he was tired and powerless and his thoughts were scrambled in a way he wouldn't ever been able to describe.

Blacky had started to move. Slowly, he raised his head, and began to pant lowly, letting out a weak bark, and licking Seekers muzzle. Seeker blinked, and returned to the now. Tears where still rolling down his face, but he felt rejuvenated. 'He needs me now more then ever!' he thought, picking up the items scrambled about with his telekinesis, "I wont let you down!" he said, choking down his tears.

He had almost forgotten that Radiant Steel was still nearby.

"Miss Radiant Steel?" he began, turning to look for her.

Radiant flew over to Seeker. She watched the scene unfold and couldn't help but smile. it was truly touching. It was easy to tell just how much Blacky meant to Seeker.

Radiant looked down at Blacky. While he wasn't really a puppy, he was still pretty cute. He looked like a nice dog. Radiant was bad with animals. She loved them, but they seemed to instinctively not return the feeling for whatever reason. Maybe she'd have a chance with this dog though? She flew down closer.

At a second glance, Blacky looked really weak. He seemed to be exhausted and maybe even afraid.

"He looks weak," she spoke, looking at Seeker. "I think he needs food..." She looked up. "And then probably to be taken someplace safer than this."

"Of course, of course, you are right" Seeker saw Blacky slowly starting to take bites out of the bowl, chewing slowly.

Seeker wiped the tears from his eyes. He pondered this for a moment. Blacky looked stable, 'I should be able to transport him', he thought. Blacky had emptied the food bowl by now. Seeker wrapped the dog into the blanket and lifted him on his back.

"Where should we take him, Miss Radiant Steel?" he asked, putting the different items he had taken out of his saddlebag back.

"Well, if that map of yours is to be believed, at a brisk northward canter we could probably make Canterlot just before my guard shift starts..." Radiant said readily. "If you're still intending to go there, that is."

Radaint looked at the weakened dog, and smiled quietly. It truly was a relief they had gotten to this creature in time. It really wouldn't have survived on its own much longer. Radiant had failed to catch a thief that night, but she just might have helped save this poor creature. Being that she had once desired to look after animals, it was really satisfying to her. However, that said, she didn't want to force anything.

"Unless you'd rather camp somewhere in the woods for the night until Blacky recovers," she added as a possibility. "It's your call what's best."

Seeker gave this a moment of thought. Blacky wasn't injured, and he was used to be carried around by him

"I should try to reach Canterlot as quickly as possible" he began thoughtfully. "And I should see an animal doctor with him, just to make sure."

He knew he was pushing himself at that point, but Seeker was sure he could make it, for Blacky's sake. Soon they'd be in safety, and it would be alright again. Why had he run off like that? That had never happened before. 'There will be a time to think about that.' thought Seeker.

"Please, lead the way, Miss Radiant Steel." Seeker said. "I just hope I don't slow you down too much."

"Don't worry about me," said Radiant, with a firm nod. "I've taken it as my duty to get you and Blacky safely to Canterlot, so i intend to see that through."

"That said," the pegasus spoke, as she started to trot ahead. "Let's get moving."

They made their way through the Whitetail Wood. Radiant Steel took the lead, Seeker following close by. Now and then, he moved brushes and tree branches out of the way with his magic, and he was able to hold up with her. They made good speed, but Seekers muscles ached a lot now.

Now that he thought about it, he hadn't really thanked the pegasus yet. He felt so embarrassed, where were his manners? "Ah, Miss Radiant Steel." he began, bending some branches out of the way. "I'm in your debt for helping me so selflessly. I would have taken days if it hadn't been for you." he said meekly. "Thank you."

They cantered along, further through the woods.

"You needn't thank me, really even things like this are part of my job," Radiant said with a steady nod. "It's my duty to help ponies in need. Whether its protecting the princess from harm, catching a thief or helping find a lost animal, it's all the same to me."

Radiant smiled a little. "Besides, it brings my heart relief to know Blacky's safe. I was happy to assist you."

They walked in silence for a while, giving Seeker some time to think about it. He had never been in a position where had received such unconditional help, and he wasn't sure how to handle this. Sure, his family had always looked out for him, but he had always pulled his own weight, from a very early age. He was so deep in his own thoughts that he almost walked into branches sometimes.

Some sound from further ahead snapped him out of it. He looked ahead, and thought he saw lights through the trees. They were probably getting close now.

He collected his thoughts, and began: "Please, allow me to make it up to you, Miss Radiant Steel." It probably came a bit out of the blue now, since he hadn't said anything for a few minutes. "I could treat you to something to eat, maybe? In a few days, when Blacky is better again?" there was a bit of a plea in his voice. He added: "I'm sure he wants to thank you, too."

Radiant Steel was leading the way, so he couldn't see her face, but they were still trotting forward. He waited patiently for an answer.

Radiant was very shocked by the sudden request. it seemed to come out of nowhere to her. To her it was her duty, but this pony seemed determined to pay her back. Maybe it was cultural thing or something, but Seeker just sounded adamant. Radiant wondered if there was no fighting it.

"That sounds satisfactory then," Radiant said with a ready nod. "I would be happy to see Blacky when he's fully healthy."

It wasn't often Radiant met with ponies socially. She was very much dedicated to her job as a young soldier and didn't really have an abundance of close friends. Though she had already agreed, the thought of meeting this pony again did present a small amount of uneasiness for the pony. The chance to meet the cute dog again did balance it to an extent, however.

"I-I look forward to it," Radiant said a little less steadily.

Seeker clearly saw the lights of the city now. Soon, they would reach the outer reaches of Canterlot. He looked over his shoulder, and as expected, Blacky was in deep sleep now, and Seeker was thankful to see him save again.

"Oh thank you, trust me, you wont regret it." He said, enthusiastically. He paused, thinking for a moment. "Can you recommend me an inn to stay while I am in Canterlot? It shouldn't be too pricey, but I don't need much comfort."

Radiant was surprised by the question. She wasn't sure what to say really. She had never stayed at any of the inns in Canterlot, being she had lived with her parents in the city her entire life. She didn't have any friends that were from out of towns who had frequented the city's inns either, and with the very late hours of her shift, she didn't really interact with ponies much during normal hours.

"Um... well..." Radiant started to cut through the awkwardness. "I-I..." her mind raced as she tried to remember where any inn was located. After a prolonged pause a location presented itself to her. "I believe you might find an affordable inn across the street from the coffee shop just off campus from Canterlot University."

Radiant sighed. At least she thought that was an inn. Or was it another library...?

"It's settled then." Seeker said confidently. "I'll let you know once I know where I'm staying."

As they walked into the outer reaches of Canterlot, Seeker ran through the planning in his head. It had been a while since he last cooked himself, and he wasn't sure he could get all the ingredients he needed, but there was still time to figure that out. Blacky! Right, he had to be priority now.

He was sure he would be able to find an animal healer somewhere around here. He'd just ask around.

"Well, see you in a few days then, Miss Radiant Steel." he said, glowing with anticipation. He had a chance to repay the favor, and he was determined to do his best, even if it meant to slack on his research for a few days.

Beaming happily, Seeker made his way to the Canterlot University, in search for an inn for the night, with Blacky still sleeping on his back.