Lost in the crowd

Ancre

Night had just fell on Canterlot. Ponies were rushing in the streets, running here or there to go home, to buy the dinner before the stores closed, or whatever else they wanted to do. The city could be quite crowded during the early hours of the evening. It was like a confusing stream of pastel colors, and for the lonely white mare lost in the middle, a constant source of anguish. She kept bumping on random strangers, excusing herself, meekly try to move a few steps out of the way only to fall back in her starting place as she got in another pony's way.

Moondrop was lost. She was also scared, although she did her best not to show it. Ponies could handle crowds, couldn't they ? She had no real reason to be confused like this, she just wasn't used to it ! She had ventured far away from home, visiting a distant (but fantastic !) toyshop, and now she was getting in the way of everypony, her long red cloak was being stepped on, making her trip, her saddlebags (full of wooden toys, plushies, and books) bumped on strangers, who gave her hard stares. And she couldn't see a single way out of this mass of ponies.

And then she tripped on something, and with a muffled “oof!” fell on the ground. Her chin painfully met the street's hard cobblestone paving, one of her bags burst open, the toys rolling away, and she felt her glasses jump off her nose. Oh, no ! Panicking now, and as blind as a mole, she started to scan the ground with her hooves, searching for her glasses, hoping she could find them before ... until she heard a saddening “crunch”somewhere on her left. Moving her hoof in that general direction, she finally retrieved her glasses, broken beyond repair.

She held them against her chest and silently cried. She was so lost now. She couldn't see a thing, she knew her precious toys were being trampled by careless ponies, she was far from home, and she didn't knew what to do anymore. Oh, she shouldn't have gone so far away from her house all alone ! The white unicorn bit her lip. She was grown up mare now ! She couldn't let herself go like a little filly anymore. Snifing and trying to contain her tears, she put her hat back in place and searched for her lost items once more, desperately sweeping the ground with her hooves.

• Like 1

Lightshow was out enjoying Canterlots' nightlife, strolling at her leisure through the streets she had come to know through frequent trips.

It was enjoyable after a long day of work: modeling.

She would have rather been out and about in the famous gardens of Canterlot, but one, they weren't open to the public except for the Gala, and two, this was an important gig she was working on.

Without a worry in the world, she ambled easily, tripping a bit every now and then on somepony, who would shake their heads at her and mutter something as she cheerfully apologized and kept on.

She kept her easy canter until she heard a quiet sniff, and came upon a white unicorn who was carefully searching for something, with toys strewn around her.

How strange. How did she lose all this?

Lightshow approached quietly, hooves sounding softly against the cobblestone as she picked up toys and presented them to the mare.

" 'Scuse me. I think you dropped these?" Lightshow offered them to the mare, a hopeful smile upon her face.

It wasn't easy to find the toys without glasses. The world was nothing but a mass of colors and blurry shapes for Moondrop. She scanned the ground with her hooves, moving carefully, trying not to get stepped on by anypony.

She was so focused on her search that she didn't notice the pony coming to help her. The white unicorn let out a little yelp of surprise when the stranger pony talked to her, announcing that she had collected every one of her things.

“Yes ! I did ! Oh, thank you, thank you so much !” Moondrop thanked profusely. The mare seemed ... white, and green, and taller than her. She had purple eyes. But the unicorn couldn't figure out anything else without her glasses.

Grateful and relieved, she took the toys and examined them carefully. The short-sighted mare had to put them very close to herself to see the details, almost to her snout – this one was okay, this one was okay too, there was one plushie who had been teared apart, and she would have to do some sewing, and a little chariot who had a broken wheel, but nothing she couldn't fix. She would just have to wash everything and make a few repairs here and there. Phew.

Moondrop put everything in her saddlebags one by one, making sure that nothing was missing, and finally closed the bag with attentive care – she didn't wanted it to burst open a second time today, thank you very much. She turned toward her savior.

“Thank you very much once again.” she was more collected this time. “I don't know what I would have done without your help. You see, I've broken my glasses, and I can't see anything at all without them.” She paused for an instant.

“Could you …” she bit her lip, looking shy, and shuffled her hooves, as if she was lightly kicking something around. “Could you please do me another favor ? Could you guide me away from this street to a quieter place ? I'll manage on my own from there.”

Moondrop didn't dare to ask more. She just intended to wait wherever the stranger leaded her, and try to find her way home when most of the ponies were asleep, or at least inside. She hoped it would be easier to find her house if the streets weren't as busy.

• 1 month later...

Lightshow blinked at the yelp the mare let out. She supposed she'd surprised her, but hadn't the unicorn seen her coming?

She was thanked, and bowed her head. "It is no trouble, miss," she said, smiling at the mare.

"If I dropped something myself, I would hope that others would help me," she explained quickly, watching as she checked the toys, putting them surprisingly close to her face.

Did this mare have vision problems? She certainly hoped not. It was dangerous to trot through crowded streets like that.

Lightshow realized she was correct, when the shy-looking mare described her problems to her.

"Sure, miss. But if you live nearby, I could just lead ya there. T'aint safe to be out wandering, half-blind. Just tell me the directions, I don't mind," she said with a kindly smile.

Blinking quickly, she tapped her muzzle with her hoof in agitation. "I apologize, how rude of me! The name's Lightshow. I forgot to introduce myself," she said apologetically.

"Now, who are you?" the cream-colored mare finished, smiling at her.

'This is it!' Quills thought, making his way through the crowded streets 'Canterlot.'

He was incredibly excited about finally being here, in the centre of art and education, the heart of Equestria. He had dreamed of coming here for so long. Leaving Manehattan hadn't been easy on him. His parents, well mostly his mother had been very supportive of his plans. He had saved up enough bits to make it through the first months until he found a proper job. Maybe a museum would take him? He did have a lot of the knowledge required to work there.

Right now, navigating the crowd took up all of his attention. Quills found, however, that his talent for organisation could help him even with this. His horn faintly glowed as he searched for a way, noticing openings for him to slip through, and gently prodding idle ponies out of the way. Even a crowd like this one followed an order, flowing alongside the walls of houses to the left and right. He had never tried his magic for this before, but it worked remarkably well. 'Just not loose my focus', he thought, quite happy with his current performance.

One thing about unicorn magic, though, is that it's completely dependent on state of mind. His mind completely occupied with the movement of the crowd, Quills took no notice of the ground below him. Although in general, the roads on Canterlot were in perfect condition, sometimes the inevitable damage that came with heavy usage wasn't instantly repaired.

Quills tripped badly, and could only barely keep himself from falling down. His spell broke, and what had seemed like a soft stream moments ago was now a wild river, toying with him and flinging him around. As he got pushed further and further to the to the edge of the street, he decided to take back control. 'I'll just step back for a moment' he thought 'and gather my thoughts.'

He took a few steps backwards out of the crowd, but instantly stopped as he bumped into somepony. As he turned he saw a completely white and very frail looking Unicorn mare on the ground, collecting an array of toys in different stages of damage, and looking a bit desperate, if he was any judge. He then looked further, seeing the pony he had bumped into. It was a cream coloured mare with a light green mane, grown long and falling over her shoulders. For a moment there, he thought she looked familiar, but he couldn't quite place it.

He decided to jump to an apology instead. "Sorry, I didn't see you there, Miss." he said friendly. Looking down to the Unicorn and the toys he added: "My, what a disarray. Is there something I can help with?"

The stranger mare gently tried to reassure Moondrop, going as far as offering to bring her back home if she wasn't living too far away. She presented herself - her name was Lightshow - and asked the white unicorn her name as well, with a smile in her voice.

"I am Moondrop," the toymaker mare answered. "And thank you for your offer but ... I do live far away actually," she explained, embarassed, eyes shifting to the right, rubbing her neck with a hoof. "I mean, I live in Canterlot, but it's a walk from here, I was, uh, I was careless and went too far away I guess." She couldn't just ask Lightshow to walk her home.

"Eep !" Somepony bumped into the tall white mare, surprising once again little Moondrop. Both ponies were still in the middle of the crowded street. The newcomer, a green stallion, quickly apologized, then proposed his help.

"Well ..." Moondrop was distressed, on edge, her glasses were broken, her toys had been trampled upon, and everypony stepped on her red cloak. "I don't know. I mean, I don't know what to do. I mean, let's just move to a quieter street ? Let's not stay in the middle of traffic." she proposed, trying a smile, and standing up, ready to move.

This mare is certainly a bundle of nerves, isn't she? Lightshow mused, lost in contemplation for a moment.

The mare presented herself: Moondrop, she was called.

Nice name, but what does it mean? Mm.. maybe based on her appearance. She sure looks as if she was shaped from the moon.

The cream-colored mare had no problems with helping Moondrop find her way back home, and voiced her thoughts immediately.

"Now sug, t'aint safe to go down these streets by yourself. You could trip on somepony!" She said soothingly, a look of concern upon her fair features. Lightshow wasn't very familiar with the paths in Canterlot, but she had the time and the will to help.

"You should let me lead you to your-- Gack!"

She yelped in surprise when somepony ended up bumping into her, turning to apologize for being in the way. The pony (a green unicorn stallion, she noticed quickly) apologized and offered his help to Moondrop.

Quietly, she stepped back, next to the agitated unicorn, patting her on the back in a comforting way, before turning her gaze upon the stallion once again.

"Ah, don't worry, sug. Happens to anypony."

Lightshow swept her mane back with her hoof, a habit of hers when she was thinking.

"You're right, Moondrop. Eh, mister.. green stallion? Can you lead the way, please?" She queried, gently dusting off Moondrop's red cloak with her tail, glancing around.

Cross-Stitch was sitting outside of his shop, which doubled as his home. The blue colt sat at a small wooden table that sits outside of his shop. Cross-Stitch would often enjoy the nights of the city outside, as he and his mother used to when he was a filly. He never grew out of the habit of enjoying a cup of tea every now and again outside in the cool night air. Wrapped around his neck was a lavish red scarf the he made himself when he first began his tailoring business. He cherished it dearly, and wore it when it was practical. He sipped his tea silently, enjoying the hustle and bustle of ponies as they passed by him. He had grown accustomed to the city noise, and he even enjoyed it.

Something caught his ear though, a gasp, or an "eep!", something out of place. Cross-Stitch looked over to see a fallen pony and several contents spilled around her. As he rose from his chair, another pony came to her aid though, and then shortly after another joined the crowd as well. "Ah, at least somepony helped her. Poor mare." Cross-Stitch began to settle back down into his seat with a smile on his face. It always warmed his heart to see ponies helping each other. Cross-Stitch continued to sip his tea, but couldn't help but watch the rest of the scene unfold.

• Like 1

Quills noticed that he hadn't even introduced himself yet. He bowed his head and said "Allow me to introduce myself, My name is Miles Quillsworth, but you may call me Quills."

Now that he took in the scene, Quills realized that something had to happen right now. Reaching out with his telekinesis, Quills picked up the broken glasses from the completely white unicorn's nose, and let it float up to him, touching it lightly with his horn. Images flashed in front of his eyes, giving him the sense to know where all the lost pieces ended up. He then lifted up all the pieces of glass from the ground, letting them all float into their proper place, and finally reconnected them into one piece. Visibly relieved, Quills carefully returned the glasses to the unicorn. 'At least a bit of order restored.' he thought.

"Now, Miss Moondrop and Miss Lightshow." he began, in a friendly tone "Let's find a way outside the crowd, shall we?"

He began to concentrate again, trying to figure out the ideal route to the edge of the crowd. Once again his magic led him well, and he saw a passage they could take to the entrance of a backstreet, were they surely could figure out their next step.

"Just follow me." he said, leading the way.

Sensing how tense and worried Moondrop was, Lightshow did her best to comfort her, with reassuring words and gentle pats in the back. She looked concerned for the frail white unicorn.

The other pony presented himself as Miles Quillsworth, or Quills. He was eager to help as well, and picked up Moondrop's broken glasses with his telekinesis before the mare could say anything. He touched the glasses with his horn, floated the broken pieces of glasses toward him as well, and with a little flash of magic repaired them. Quills then returned the glasses to their owner.

Moondrop, still a little surprised, carefully took the glasses with her magic, floated them close to her face, inspected them, and put them on. She blinked several times. They were as good as new !

"Thank you !" she answered truthfully. She could see again ! Now that everything was clearer, she looked at Lightshow, and then at Quills, to have a better idea of what her saviors looked like.

Quills gently proposed to guide the two mares through the crowd. Lightshow brushed Moondrop's cloak with her tail. The frail albinos unicorn was in a much better state now. The trio of ponies swiftly trotted through the crowd, Quills' magic finding an easy path for them to follow. Soon enough they were all in a little quiet backstreet, leading to little homes with bright yellow light coming from their windows.

"I don't know how to thank you enough," the white mare said, smiling, obviously relieved. Everything was much easier to handle now that she was out of the crowd. "I would offer you two to come for a tea or something else, but my house is far away and you probably have a lot to do, so, thank you ?" she finished, not exactly knowing what to do in this situation.

Lightshow quietly observed the two as the stallion introduced himself, telling them the proper name to call him.

She nodded to him in recognition, eyes widening in sudden surprise when Quills fixed Moondrops' glasses with his magic.

Frowning slightly, she tugged at the sleeve of her teal sweater, grumbling to herself for a moment.

She was the only Earth pony of the trio, a fact that bothered her a bit.

Lightshow had always been a bit... jealous of those with magic or wings, such as her best friend, Firecracker.

It was besides the point, of course, that Firecracker's wings didn't work anymore. It was the fact that she had wings.

It was that feeling of being.. special. Lightshow didn't have that, no matter what anypony had tried to tell her before.

Sure, she had modeling.. But she was Haute Couture during those occasions, not Lightshow, and this.. this made her worry. She was just a simple gardener mare. Her two unicorn companions, however.. They had magic.

"Now, Miss Moondrop and Miss Lightshow." Quills said, a passive look on his face.

"Let's find a way outside the crowd, shall we?"

Blinking quickly and shaking her head, Lightshow snapped out of her thoughts, catching Moondrop's word of thanks to Quills.

"Sorry.. Ah, I was thinking," she said hastily, offering them a quick smile, trotting after the pair.

Moondrop spoke, offering them some tea.

If I was a unicorn, I could have picked up the toys with magic, and fixed her glasses.

Frowning once again, Lightshow rubbed her temple with a gentle hoof, quickly turning to Moondrop.

"Sug', ain't there any places nearby we can get a warm drink? There, we can see how to fix your toys as well," she said, smiling gently.

She kept her gaze off of them, looking at all the different buildings.

Cross-Stitch continued to sip his tea outside of his shop. A nagging feeling kept biting at him though. It was that little twitch he got when he saw something unpleasant happen. He had watched the three ponies trot off after picking up and dusting off the poor mare who had fallen down. "I'm sure she's fine. She looked to be taken care of..." He said, and took another sip of his drink. His left leg began to bounce up and down in a beat that slowly got faster as he grew more restless. "Hmm, well, maybe I should check on them too... Just in case." Cross-Stitch rose from his seat and started trotting after the trio as well. He had lived and grown up in this part of Canterlot, so by now he was easily gliding past ponies in a sort of elegant dance.

After catching up to the trio, he said in his signature soft voice, "Pardon," he said first to grab the attention of the trio, "I couldn't help but notice the spill that your friend took, and I was just making sure everything was alright." Cross-Stitch wrapped his sentence up with a warm smile, hoping to convey his friendliness, "I just hate seeing ponies get trotted on around here, it's rather rough, and I've seen it happen quite a few times whilst living in this area." Cross-Stitch was wearing a look of concern, honestly hoping that no pony was harmed.

Still in concentration and leading the way, Quills turned his head slightly. "The way I fixed your glasses, that is only a temporal solution. I should be able to fix them permanently once we reach a quieter place."

They had almost reached the edge of the crowd when a blue earth pony stepped at their side and introduced himself and asked if everything was alright. Quills lost focus, and stopped dead in his track. Fortunately, they had reached a point were the crowd wasn't that dense any more.

"Oh, much obliged for the offer." he began, "I think we are through the worst of it." He looked back to the two mares, and paid special attention to Moondrop, who looked far calmer now that her glasses were repaired, and was still comforted by Lightshow.

He remembered. "Oh, but I think we are looking for a café to cool our hooves a bit, and try to get some order in Miss Moondrops regrettably crushed toys." he said in a friendly tone.

He looked back to his companions, trying to look for signs of agreement.

Sensing Moondrop's confusion, Lightshow proposed her to find a place where they could get something warm to drink. "Oh, that's a wonderful idea !" the white mare exclaimed. She should have thought about it sooner ! "I could buy everypony a coffee or a drink as a thank you !"

Quills proposed to repair Moondrop's glasses definitely, as the first spell he used was only a temporary solution. "Thank you again," the albinos unicorn replied. "Your spell is a very interesting one, and I'd love to see it cast once again. Perhaps you could teach it to me, if it's no trouble ?" she queried, genuinely curious.

Both mares were following Quills, who was guided by his spell. The green unicorn stopped abruptly : another pony had started to talk to them, making his concentration vanish. The newcomer, a small blue earth pony stallion, wanted to make sure everything was alright : he was looking concerned about what happened to Moondrop.

"Just a few broken toys," Moondrop answered reassuringly, smiling to him. "Lightshow gathered them for me, and helped me get back on my hooves, and Quills here repaired my glasses and lead us outside of the main street." she explained further, presenting the other two ponies to the blue stallion. "My name is Moondrop. What is yours ?"

Quills thanked the newcomer as well, saying that they were looking for a café to cool their hooves with a warm drink. Moondrop nodded in agreement. "I'll pay you all something to drink in thanks." she added, happy to be able to do something for them in return.

The stallion led the way, allowing for Lightshow to sink into thought for a little bit longer, wondering where the trio could possibly go.

She wasn't very used to going around the streets of Canterlot, and it showed as she tripped every now and then, or stopped to appreciate her surroundings.

It was.. nice. The ponies, the hustle and bustle.. She liked it.

But Lightshow didn't always get what she wanted, and this would be one of those times.

Canterlot was not her home. Maybe someday.. but not today.

The unicorns discussed things that had nothing to do with her, as she had no horn and could cast no magic. She did not speak, but rather listened intently, brought out of her thoughts yet again by the arrival of another pony.

An earth pony, she noticed with interest, with a curious cutie mark. Perhaps his talent was making things.. with love? Lightshow couldn't tell, and she watched the newcomer silently for a few moments, before reverting to her usual, cheerful self.

Moondrop chattered with the stallion for a short while, with Quills giving him an explanation as well. She figured the earth pony did not require a third explanation, so she smiled at the newcomer, bending her head in greeting and acknowledgement. and nodded towards her companions.

" My greetings to ya! As miss Moondrop here explained, I am Lightshow. Thanks for worrying about our little friend here, as Quills mentioned as well."

She watched the stallion for a moment, glancing back at the unicorns.

"Say, would you like to come along, seein' as you got yourself all worked up? And Moondrop, sug, don't you go about payin' for drinks here and there. I'm sure we can all manage to chip in our bits as well!"

Lightshow smiled at the mare, ruffling her mane.

"Now, if one of you could lead us there, it'd all be peachy-keen. I'm sure gettin' thirsty.."She grinned apologetically. How strange and wonderful it had been, to have gone from a mare who was exploring Canterlot alone, to suddenly being in a group of three others beside her!

Cross-Stitch bowed his head, "My name is Cross-Stitch, I run a shop just around the corner."

Cross-Stitch listened closely to the explanations of what happened, nodding every now and then to acknowledge he was listening. After the explanations ceased, a relieved smile graced his face, "That's wonderful to hear. Canterlot is a busy place, one can never be too careful on these busy streets. It takes a bit of getting used to, that is for certain."

Cross-Stitch looked to Quills, "A place to drink? There is a Cafe not to far from here. I usually visit there every other day. I could escort you three if you would like?" He looked to the three, wondering what their opinion was on the matter.

He then turned to Lightshow, "Greetings to you as well, Ms. Lightshow." His face lit up as he was invited to partake in the festivities, "If it is alright with the rest of your party, I would love to accompany you."

"That sounds lovely." Quills said "Would you lead the way, Mr. Cross-Stitch?"

It was probably for the best, seeing how flustered the white mare had been mere moments ago. Sitting down in a nice café, putting a bit of order back into Moondrop's toys, that sounded like a great plan to Quills. Now that he wasn't leading the way any more, he thought about Lightshow, and how familiar she looked to him. He was pretty sure that this was the first time they met, and that led to the conclusion that he must have seen her somewhere else. On a photograph maybe? Or one of the prints?

Then however, something else caught his interest.

"Say, Mr. Cross-Stitch, that cutie mark. You don't happen to be in the fashion business?"

'That would be just perfect,' Quills thought to himself 'meeting a fashion designer at my first day in Canterlot.'

Hearing Moondrop talking about paying everypony's drinks, Lightshow ruffled her mane and smiled, replying that she didn't had to. The sudden contact of the other mare's hoof surprised the white unicorn. But she didn't mind. It felt nice, it felt like something an older sister would do, she thought.

"But I would love to thank you in some way !" Moondrop explained. She didn't had to buy them their drinks, but she wished to do something, and was falling short of ideas. Perhaps she could offer them one of her crafts instead ? But they weren't foals, they wouldn't be interested in simple toys. Perhaps ... perhaps she would simply have to ask. She didn't liked the idea, as it felt rude, but she felt she might never know what to do otherwise.

Meanwhile the small stallion bowed his head and said his name was Cross-Stitch, proposing to lead the little group to the nearby café he was familiar with. Quills found the idea lovely, and Moondrop nodded in approval. Quills queried Cross-Stitch, trying to start a discussion, and the white mare listened with attention, staying close to LightShow.

The little unicorn was warming up to Lightshow, she thought. It was fine with her, as she didn't have many friends, in reality.

What with her busy job, and constant travels, along with tending for her garden..

There hadn't been much time for others. But now.. these ponies. Maybe she could get to know them a bit better?

"Oh, Canterlot is lovely," she agreed, grinning again. Patting Moondrop's head, she shook her head.

"Don't worry, sug. Having a nice, warm drink is thanks enough."

Lightshow nodded at Cross-Stitch.

"The more, the merrier, as my companions might agree. Anything to get out of this crowd!"

She was cheerful today, and was light on her hooves, watching her companions interact.

Moondrop stayed close to her. and Lightshow adjusted the younger mare's cloak.

Her ears pricked when Quills spoke, inquiring on Cross-Stitch's field of work.

Fashion? Oh goodness, if Cross-Stitch is a designer.. No. Designers don't know much about models, do they? And Quills... why would he ask? Curiosity?

Or maybe he's in it as well. He's organized enough for it..

Her hooves shuffled anxiously, and she swiped at her mane.

Just don't draw attention to yourself or talk about fashion, or designers. You'll be fine.

Smiling nervously, she tugged at her sweater again, adjusting the sleeves.

Cross-Stitch turned to Quills, "Of course, Mr. Quills, I'd be more then happy to lead the way." Cross-Stitch's face turned to one of puzzlement as he was questioned about his cutie mark. His head turned to look at his own cutie mark, one that he had come to know very well. His face turned to a warm smile as he looked to it. He turned back to Quills, "Why yes, I actually am a designer. Do you need something worked on?" He said as his head tilted a bit.

Cross-Stitch then turned to Lightshow, "Indeed, thank you for allowing me to accompany your party then." His head dipped quickly, like a quick bow. "The crowds around here are quite an obstacle, it just takes some getting used to is all. I grew up here in Canterlot, so it's become second nature to me."

Cross-Stitch then adressed the rest of the group, "Well then, if we are all set, shall we be on our way?"

Following the blue stallion, Quills took a moment to order his thoughts.

"Oh no, no," he began, looking down on his jacket, "but I might come back on that." He smiled friendly.

"But actually, I have great interest in the fashion design scene of Canterlot." he began "I just arrived here from Manehattan, and I spend a lot of time learning everything there is to learn about fashion and the arts in general" he thought a moment about Cross-Stitch's cutie mark "I don't recall seeing you in the publications I read regularly." he looked thoughtful now. "But really, only a fraction of the local art scene makes it outside the city, I'm sure."

They walked on, lead by the earth pony. "I'm sure you have many success stories to share yourself."

Now that he thought about his fashion magazines, again he felt like he had seen Lightshow before. Could it be that she had something to do with fashion? Maybe she was a designer herself? For the moment, he didn't want to say anything before he was sure about it.

Waiting for a response, he looked back to Moondrop and Lightshow thoughtfully.

Lightshow gently insisted, assuring Moondrop that spending time in a café was thanks enough, gently patting her head ; and in the end the white mare let the subject slide. Everypony seemed happy, nopony seemed to expect something from her. Lightshow was probably right, Moondrop concluded.

The older mare took care of the younger unicorn, adjusting her cloak, looking after her like a little sister. She cheerfully chatted with Crosstitch, commenting Canterlot's crowds, before leaving him to talk with Quills. She still distantly listened to the two stallions' discussion. She seemed to be in a bright mood.

Nervousness suddenly creeped in Lightshow's merry stance. Her ears suddenly perked up, alert. Her hooves shuffled lightly. Her smile became a little bit forced. Moondrop was focused on the taller mare, and due to her work and her curious nature she was good at picking up those little details, so she noticed it instantly.

"Is everything alright ?" Moondrop asked innocently, looking at Lightshow with her great white eyes and her silver round glasses. The little unicorn hadn't yet linked the stallions' discussion about fashion with the taller mare's nervousness, and the sudden change of her attitude was still a mystery for the white pony.

Lightshow dipped her head forward in response as well, bowing her head to the earth pony. As she lifted her head, she swiped at her mane and stepped aside, staying with Moondrop. She listened as Quills spoke, ambition apparent in his voice.

Now, what could he possibly be? The unicorn was not a designer, she could tell.

The stallion seemed quite organized, and if she had to name a profession based on his appearance, he would be in publicity. Perhaps Quills was new to the whole "fashion" scene and unsure.

Cross-Stitch, she noticed, was a designer himself, which made her a bit nervous.

Designers don't look into the work of others but their own. I ought to be fine, she told herself, keeping pace with the others as she thought.

"Is everything alright ?"

Lightshow missed a step and stumbled in surprise.

Moondrop's gentle voice surprised her, as she'd been so lost in thought..

"Oh, yes, sug'. I just got.. distracted for a moment," she said apologetically, getting back onto her hooves and flashing her a smile.

It was a very cheery smile, one called a dazzler by those she showed it to. Hopefully, there would be no more questions about jobs between the little group, as Lightshow didn't exactly have a good reason to be in Canterlot.

Her life as Haute Couture remained separate from her own, and sometimes things got.. complicated.

If one of the members of their group were to ask what she did for a living and why she was in Canterlot, she'd have to come up with a quick story.

It was lucky, then, that Lightshow was quite skilled at doing so.

"Oh, the fashion scene of Canterlot is quite a scene to behold, Mr. Quills, I assure you. All garments are made of the highest in quality items." Cross-Stitch smiled and puffed his chest out slightly, happy to be a part of such a wonderful thing.

The air from his lungs then escaped and his powerful posture suddenly vanished at Quills' last remark. A small cough was heard as he cleared his throat, "Success stories? N-Not really... My shop is rather new you see, and I haven't had many orders..." His mind drifted to two orders he still had yet to finish. A dress and a suit that two of his friends had ordered for The Gala, and even then he still had to finish his own. The Gala! Of course! That is where he will become known, his powerful posture returned, "But it is only a matter of time. I assure you, my work has my very heart and soul put into it."

Cross-Stitch glanced out the side of his eyes to Lightshow, noticing her unease. He had always been very keen to ponies feelings, especially if they were negative feelings. He went into fashion to express himself, and make others happy after-all. And if somepony wasn't happy... It just made the air seem... Thick, to him. Moondrop queried her on her unease, to which Lightshow waved away. It was obvious she wasn't going to talk about what was upsetting her, so Cross-Stitch let it go as well. Another time, perhaps.

"Right then. It's right up this street." He said as he took a turn and began trotting off to the cafe. The familiar taste of their tea and coffee butted into his mind, reminding him of how exquisite the establishment is. "Ah, yes, I meant to ask: Are you three from Canterlot? Or are you simply visiting?"

"Oh, that's fascinating. I'd love to see some of your creations sometime." It couldn't hurt to get an impression of the local fashion designers, and maybe it would help his cause, too. After all, he might just be the next big breakout designer of the Canterlot fashion scene. You never knew.

As they walked through the streets of Canterlot, Quills thought about Cross-Stitch's question. Why did he come here, to Canterlot.

"I try to land a job in the fashion industry, and this seemed the best place to start." he began "I don't think I can become a designer myself, but I studied hard, and maybe I can land a job with a fashion magazine, or something that fits my organisation talent."

He looked back to the two mares, and was a bit puzzled when he saw Lightshow. She looked uneasy, and Moondrop was trying to comfort her. Where did he know that earth pony from? He still couldn't place it. The distance between her eyes, the face symmetry, the way she carried herself. Something was missing.

"As for the ladies, I just met them myself." He said once he caught himself.