A guard's reward

Davroth

Radiant gave a somewhat slow nod, kind starting to see that the day was almost coming to and end but at the same time happy with what had transpired. She stood as well, following after Seeker.

"Yeah. I better start saying my good byes to Blacky. It might be a while before I see him again, after all," she said as she approached the dog and knelt down before him.

"I'm glad we could meet, Blacky," she said, petting the dog and smiling. "I do hope you come back for a visit before too long. I'd like to see you again."

Her eyes darted back toward Seeker. The same words could be said for him, but it was easier for her to speak like this to a dog. She blushed slightly and then nodded. "Thank you for everything today," she said, racing her head from the dog but not turning toward the pony.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blacky, as a dog, had only very limited means to show how he felt, and more so, he didn't really comprehend the situation. Aside from his owner, who he was fiercely loyal to, most ponies were little more the a bunch of grey shapes and a distinct smell. Some of them would pet him, or give him something to eat if his owner allowed it, or played with him for a while, and that was that. They barely left an impact on him.

However, it was very apparent that Blacky had taken a liking to Radiant Steel. As she petted his head, he nuzzled her hoof softly, and made that happy whining sound that he sometimes made when lying with the dark grey stallion in front of a camp fire at night, just before sleeping. Seeker was actually taken a little aback by this, and barely noticed that the pegasus mare was acting a little weird. Though, all things considered, it probably wasn't all that weird.

"We had a lot of fun spending this day with you, too, didn't we, Blacky?" He said to the dog, lovingly petting his head. He smiled in her general direction without really looking at her. "I can tell he did, you know.."

"I have to return to the inn now." He said, straightening up. "I'm sure there's still some cleaning up to do, and I wanted to leave in the morning. What do you think, Miss Radiant Steel? Maybe you could bring us to the city border tomorrow." He hesitated for a fraction of a second. "Eh.. only if you.. have time for it of course."

At the words spoken, Radiant gave an immediate nod. Sometimes it seemed like nothing ever changed in her life. It all stayed the same around her; time ticked forward as every day was the same uncomplicated motions. Despite that sentiment, the mare was more than aware that nothing truly did stay exactly the same, and by that same notion, nothing could be expected to last. The day had been great, but it was now quite clearly at its end. Solemnly, she recognized that.

"I'd be delighted to see you and Blacky off from the city tomorrow," she said with a resolute nod. "Indeed, I wouldn't miss it!"

Petting Blacky one more time, the mare stood and gave another nod. "It's been fun," she said. "But it's probably best I'm off to prepare for my guard shift myself." Smiling quietly, she added in a low voice. "I'll be there in the morning."

Seeker nodded and sighed, and then looked back and waved as he trotted to the exit of the park, Blacky running excitedly between his legs. The grey stallion didn't want to draw this out any longer. He wasn't exactly looking forward to cleaning up the kitchen, but as far as he was concerned, it had all been more then worth it.

As he trotted along the road to the inn, his thoughts wandered to his next goal. His homelands, the desert. It had been a while since he had visited the sands. But it would be a welcome opportunity to visit his parents at long last. It would take him a few weeks until he reached Appleloosa, and from there, it was still a good week worth of travel until he reached the mountain outskirts, and his home caravan's trail. Though, maybe he could make it faster if he galloped while he was still near civilisation; and real food.

There were still lights burning in the inn when he turned around the corner. It would be a long evening, he was sure of that. But tomorrow would be a new day, and it would come with a new goal.