The "Cracked" nut (Appleloosa)

ShadowStorm88

"And that's that" Val smiled as he placed down his last drink of water, putting out the last of his bits. Well, he was broke now. For a "experinced adventurer" he sure had his share of stupid moments. Then again, perhaps he really couldnt blame himself since what had happend was out of his control in a way.

Val had heard rumors of thier being a hidden mine shaft out in the desert that contained a few relics that was probably worth a bundle. So, he had gone out of his way, buying supplies, food, and gear to see if these rumors were true so that way he could make some bits. Sadly, this rumor was complety untrue. Their was no mine shaft, no treausre nothing. Oh but it didnt end thier!! Oh no!! Next, he got lost in cause of some sandstorms swooping him to some unknown part of the desert. He flew/walked in whereever the wind was not blowing. Then, it turned out he had been going in circles the whole time. THen, he thought he saw Princess Celestia, but that was a mirage cause the sun was starting to bake his mind!! Finally, bandits made off with his gear. In an angered/adrenaline state, he had flown in one direction and had ended up here in Appleloosa, now back in civilization but with nothing at all.

Sipping down his water, he sighed as he siad "Well, least things can't get any worse".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cracker Nut

AGTFJ.png

Cracker Nut have been tasked by his brother Acorn to visit a prospective client at Appleloosa. One of the General stores wanted a steady supply of Acorns to be shipped from Trottingham. Everything had been laid out in detail through letters but somepony had to personally go to Applelossa to seal the deal in ink, and that was Cracker's job. He was able to meet with the owner of the General store and personally seal the deal. The first shipment of of Acorns would arrive in the next few days. However, Cracker did not leave Applelossa immediately. He was drawn to the attraction of this quaint little town. Seeing the horse-drawn carriages was something, but the horse drawing horse-drawn carriages was something else. He walked past Sheriff Silverstar who was lazily lounging outside his office as usual.

When his urge to crack nuts suddenly kicked in, he reached for a few assorted nuts from his pouch and noticed that he had a few left. This didn't bother him much because he knew that he would be on his way home soon when the train arrived. In the meantime he trotted around town to see what he could do during this free time. Unexpectedly, he bumps into a black Pegasus Stallion who was drinking water and it spilled all over them.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" He apologized as he grabbed a cloth from his saddlebag and tried to wipe the water off the face of the Black Pegasus. "I didn't see you there! So sorry! Here you can have some of my water."

He reaches for his own canteen and hooves it over to this new stranger with an apologetic smile on his face.

Val blinked as he whirled around, looking for whoever had knocked over his drink. He stared as he spotted an earth pony, with a blonde mane as he looked him up and down. Smiling as he was offered a canteen, he nodded thankfully as he took it and drunk. Giving the canteen back, he siad "Its alright. After i went through just go get to Appleloosa, not alot really gets to me. Well, never really got to me before but not as much now". Realizing he was rambling, he chuckled as he smiled wearily "How do you do? Valoren Seeker, adventeruer" he introducded as he stuck out a hoof to shake the earth ponies.

Cracker Nut was surprised that this strangepony didn't get mad. He'd usually get a smack or two from his older brother Acorn when he got to his bad side but this Pegasus felt calm yet reserved. As he took his canteen back he extended his hoof and shook the hoof of Val. "Oh, pleased to meet ya!" He exclaimed with delight. "The name's Cracker Nut! I'm not from around here myself, just conducting a little business for my brother Acorn. We run an Acorn Farm over at Trottingham. Drop by when you're in the neighborhood, I'll treat ya to the greatest tasting Acorns you've ever had in your life!"

"So it seems we're both strangers here." Cracker said as he scratched the back of his head. "If ya don't mind, maybe we should stick together for a while? You know kindred spirits and all that? Besides two Pony strangers sticking together in this here town won't make us seem outta place doncha think?"

Before Val could speak, Cracker suddenly felt his urge to crack a nut once again. He immediately grabbed his pouch and threw what looked like a Walnut on the ground. He stared at it for a moment and then when he was satisfied enough, lifted his front right hoof and cracked the Walnut into bits. Realizing what he had done, he embarrassingly looked at Val, who began to look puzzled and confused at what he just saw.

"Heh, I might just do that. I havnet been out their a long time due to traveling, but next time I am in the neighborhood; sure, I'll stop by" Val replied cheerfuly. Reaching into his knapsack, he blinked as he realized he was out of bits. Sighing, he muttered "Great, no more coin". Hearing the offer to stick together, Val was put off by the ponies boldness in sticking together since according to him they were both outsiders. Really, he had no problem with hanging around really since he didnt know any other pony in this town. Nodding, Val smirked "Sure, that'd be cool". He was aout to ask Cracker something when he noticed Crackers eye twich as he whipped out a walnut, tossed it onto the floor nad stomped it. Giving a victory smirk, his face fell when he looked back at Val. "Uhhhhh" Val could only say, not knowing else how to respond.

"Errrr... Right." Embarrased at what he had just done, he shrugs it off as if nothing had happened. "I probably should explain that. Well, you see I have this condition. I suddenly get the urge to crack some nuts from time to time. It's a condition I kinda developed during my foalhood days. It's a long story, as long as I don't run out of nuts, I'll be fine."

"Well anyway, what should we do first?"

When the two Ponies agreed that they'd spend time together, Cracker thought that it would be swell. He never had friends out of Trottingham, heck, he barely had any friends at all! The only real friends he could really call friends were his cousins from all over Equestria. Though they only got to get together during the yearly Nut Family reunion. He thought to himself that he should play it safe around Val. He didn't want to get the wrong impression on him especially with his condition. He thought of maybe joining that Apple Pie eating contest he saw at the bakery past the General Store. Besides, the contest didn't require a fee to sign up. All it needed was a team of 2 ponies who can eat the most Apple Pie. The winner would take home an Apple Pie recipe, the specialty of the shop, and a few bits to boot.

"I suppose we could join that Apple Pie eating contest." He said as he pointed his hoof into the direction of the bakery that held it. "We get to have fun and fill our bellies at the same time. Back at my brother's Acorn farm, all we had is nuts. I'm really looking forward to eat some Apples. It was about 8 months since I've eaten my last Apple, so this should be a treat!"

Val smirked as it had been a long time since he had a good pie himself. Plus, he liked being competive for fun!! It would give him a chance to socialize amongst the western ponies here in Appleloosa at the very least. "Sure thing, that sounds like fun" Val replided simply as he sat up. "Theirs also a single shot contest" he explained, remembering hearing about it when he came into town. Poinies would line up behind a line, and aim at an assortment of bottles. The one who hit the most would be the winner, and it would be a good shot at increaseing his accuracy.

"Oh the single shot contest!" Cracker widened his smile. "I've seen that near the bakery. I was wondering what that line was for. I'm excited that I'd be able to try something new! Let's give that a shot first, I mean the Apple Pie eating contest doesn't begin later 'till noon anyway."

The both of them walked over to the line. It was an unusually long line for such a contest. He was beginning to wonder if it there was a local holiday celebration going on or something. Cracker normally didn't have the patience to wait at such events but he kept himself occupied with his new acquaintance, Val. All the while, looking at his pouch, making a mental note of how many more nuts he had left. From the looks of it, he had a couple dozen left. He kept in mind that he needed to divide them sparingly until he got his hoofs on more nuts.

"So Val..." He continued as he slid his pouch back into his saddlebag. "About exploring... I'm kinda running low on nuts, maybe we could ask around a bit after the Apple Pie eating contest? I've heard some of the local ponyfolk say that there are some wild nuts near the edge of the desert that some Buffaloes scavenge. I think I'm gonna need a refill soon. Ya know? My condition?" He blushed as he shuffled his hoof on the ground.

Val smirked as he watched some of the ponies line up their shots, no doubt eager to put thier accuracy to the test. To be honest, thats how he was feeling at the moment with excitment filling him up as he thought to himself "Hmm, Val Seeker; Crackshot...Ha ha!! That sounds awesome" he thought with a grin on his face. Watching carefully as one pony lined up his shots, Val gasped as he watched the pony shoot through the bullseyes with perfect accuracy. Gaping, he thought "How am I supposed to compete with that"!?

Lowering his head in annoynace, he quickly recovered "Ah well, Im still looking forward to having fun; how bout you Cracker"? Val asked poiletly. Hearing his plea to go afterwards to seek out more nuts, he noticed how embarrsed he looked as Val smiled sympatheitcally. "Heh, alright then. I dont mind if we go out and seek more nuts after this event. You dont have to be embarrased about it, I wont laugh" Val remarked.

It was finally their turn. Cracker went up first, aimed at the bottles and threw. To his dismay, he threw so hard that it went over the bottles. He facehoofed. He was really never good with this sort of thing. His older brother Acorn often beat him at games every single time. The only thing he seemed to be good at was cracking nuts. He sighed.

Next up, Val went to the line and began to aim. Cracker thought that with Val's experience in traveling around, he might just have the skill to knock everything off. With anticipation he wanted to see what would happen.

Val smirked as he reared back with his hoof, and let loose; knocking all the bottles over in one shot. The next set was up, and he..BANG!! Another perfect set!! Starting with eyes like a hawk, he threw with projectory at the center that kept all three of the bottles connected; getting a perfect set. The crowd around cheered as Val put a hoof to the back of his skull, as he smiled blushing. Handed a black cowboy hat, he placed it on his head as he smiled weakly "Heh, its uhh..not that big a deal". Whilst he like to test his skills, he was kinda shy when all the attnetion was on him, and he didnt really like to bask in any glory.

Cracker was just dumbfounded. His jaw dropped as Val knocked the bottles with ease. And not just knocked them down, but all of them down! The next sets were the same and he practically won the contests singlehoofedly.

"That was amazing!" Cracker exclaimed. "Aside from my brother, you're the next awesomest Pony that I have ever known! I knew I met a really cool friend."

Val blushed imdeiatly at the praise as he smiled sheepishly "Aw shucks Im not I'm awesome. It only really happened cause I practied alot in accuracy stuff. Its not that big a deal". Heh, he was touched by the kind words of the pony as he really had'nt been expecting such praise. "Heh, your pretty awesome yourself" Val smiled at the pony.

The Apple Pie eating contest was up next. Cracker was determined to be competitive with at least something. How hard could an eating contest be? The contest was split into groups and unfortunately Cracker was in a different group than Val. Everypony looked intent on devouring the delicious Apple Pies before them, and before they knew it, the whistle blew and they all buried their faces on the Pie. Cracker was intent on winning this so he gobbled down numerous pies as fast as he could. All the contestants on the table were just about their limit, some were about to throw up and others collapsed. But Cracker was determined to finish this. It all boiled down between him and another stallion. He was at his limit but he had one more Apple Pie to go through... but he couldn't and just passed out. He won second place in his group. He felt accomplished but was still upset that he didn't manage to win it. He wondered if Val fared better...

Val was really getting competive in this one. He found himself slamming his face into a pie, as he devoued faster and faster like a maniac. ONe would call him crazy for eating so fast, since he usual wasnt this competive when it came to eating food but what could he say? Pehraps he was trying for something new for once. COming up against a resident champ, Val gasped as he found himself starting to slow down. "Oh shoot, move faster" he thought insistantly. He had to win this!! He had ot show what he was made of. However, it seemed fate had another idea for him as he was eliminated from the contest. Gasping, he lowered his head in defeat before giving an ecouraging smile as he claped his hooves in a good sport manner.

"Well..." Cracker scratched his head. "Looks like we're both out. But at least we've got our bellies filled. That Apple Pie was delicious!"

Cracker's eye twitched. His urge to crack a nut resurfaced. He quickly grabbed his pouch from his saddlebag and opened it. There were a few nuts left. He threw a few of them to the ground and started stomping on them with his hoof. The urge passed. He looked back at Val who was by now, used to this scene.

"Errr..." He blushed. "Sorry."

"Heh, its cool" Val smiled, not really minding about this. In fact, he actually found it kinda fun to see that Val wasnt the only strange pony. "Heh, Im abit strange myself, so its no biggie" Val smiled to his buddy. Looking around at Appleloosa, he put ahoof to his mouth as he wondered. "What do you think we should go and do next" he asked; eager to do more fun things to hang around.

His urge became a bit more pronounced. He had noticed that he only had a few nuts left.... 5. He didn't want to alarm his new friend about the predicament, but he knew he had to tell him. He gently took one nut and cracked it, trying not to show Val. Satisfied by quenching his urge temporarily, he then asked Val a few personal questions. "Uh, Val..." He said with an uneasy voice. "I'm down to my last 4 nuts. I need to get some soon, or else this urge will take over me."

Val chuckled warmly as he watched his friend smash another nut. Blinking, he stared as he noticed his friends change in attitude as he became serious. "Err, waht do you mean take over? What sort of urge will take over you"? If it was something serious, and that could hurt his friend then he wanted to be sure that he could prevent any harm from coming to Cracker,

Cracker had stooped down and began to explain. "When I run out of Nuts and don't contain this urge, bad things happen. The last time this happened, my brother had to detain me and lock me in a room. We were visiting Canterlot, and I had lost my Nut pouch. Let's just say he ended up paying for the Hotel's damaged furniture."

Cracker had reached for his pouch and opened it and showed it to Val. "I have 4 nuts left..."

"Actually, any sort of nut will do..." Cracker said as he put the pouch away. "I'm sorry for dragging you into this. But I'm really gonna need your help. I heard from one of the ponyfolk that there are some wild nuts right out of town, near the apple orchards where the Buffalo pass through. They said it's a while variety of peanuts. And there is one problem though. Diamond Dogs dig for these nuts as well for food, and they can get pretty territorial. I don't know what we're gonna do if we come across them. Any ideas?"

Val blinked as he heard the situation. Smiling, he siad "Well that certaintly sounds like an adventure, going out to confront Diamond Dogs and going to get Nuts". Crossing his hooves, he commented "But perhaps, it would be better if we went during nite". Shrugging, he said "That way, we'll be able to collect the nuts without any chance of getting into a confrotion. I cant say it;ll go clean, since when has anything gone acccording to plan. But if we stick by one another, and keep a clear head then nothing should go wrong". Smirking, he patted Cracker on the back as he commented "Right"?