Digging up the past. [Robi + Bann]

Bannhammer

Stalliongrad art institute, a structure so imposing that one would never guess that some of Equestria's finest works lay inside. Maximilian, being new to the city, found himself struggling to find anything, but after enough searching, and asking directions, the Rockefilly wound up in Stalliongrad's depository for the arts. His premiere purpose for being in the city was to meet with some important ponies, but he had heard, through word of mouth, that some unowned pieces had been brought in to the museum. Maximilian couldn't pass up a chance to at least look, and maybe even purchase, a fine piece of art.

The landing was large, and Max had to stop staring a the architecture long enough to actually explore the  building. The rich stallion trotted through, completely ignoring any piece he passed on his way to the new collection. Those pieces were already owned, and Max wasn't looking to purchase from a collector, besides, Max didn't really care for the arts.

Of course, utilitarian pieces, like architecture, and even pottery, were appreciated and even respected by Maximilian. His main gripe was with the large pieces of paper slathered with oil and sold off as 'worth something'. As an economically minded stallion, Max knew how value worked. Things only had the worth that ponies were willing to give to them, and he had no clue why these useless things were worth millions. Yes, they were beautiful, and he was more than willing to pay a small fee for that, but to pay for emotions? Ridiculous. Museums where just places for collector's to show off their stuff to the plebeians, who, in an attempt to distract themselves from their own shortcomings, try to ascribe value to these works where there is none. 

Of course, all of this didn't mean that Max wasn't interested in buying a piece. If these weren't owned, then the museum may have lost money in as acquiring them. If they had to be restored, that's even more money lost. Sure, proceeds from the museum could pay it off, but who knows how long that could take? For the last few months Max had been trying to better himself by bettering others. This wasn't about self sacrifice, he wasn't stupid, but he knew that if he had a chance, he would help others. Buying a few pieces would help out the museum and give Max things to put on the walls of his house, it was yet another chance to do some good.

His internal monologue continued for some time as he navigated the museum, eventually coming across a sign that made it known that the new collection lay inside. With a sigh of relief, Maximilian Rockefilly Jr trotted ahead. Fortunately, the curator of the museum was right there, and Max simply approached him, smiling that smile that only a Rockefilly can pull off. The other pony simply nodded and continued gazing at the centerpiece of the collection. 

Max hadn't been told exactly what the collection was, and the thing on the wall surprised him. He was no historian, but he could swear that the piece on the wall was some sort of fresco. His smile widened, finally history classes paid off! After a few more minutes of examining, Maximilian approached the curator to share a word. The elderly stallion adjusted his spectacles and looked at the pony in front of him.

Mac smiled some more and started off the conversation with a firm hoofshake, it didn't appear that the curator knew who he was. Max politely inquired as to whether these pieces where owned, to which the curator bluntly said no. The Rockefilly's smile only widened as he continued to ask questions, namely how in Equestria these pieces ended up in an art museum in the first place. With an annoyed sigh, the stallion was quick to point out that these had been excavated, restored by the museum of history, and then brought here for display. Max nodded and his grin faded, obviously this stallion wasn't very happy with his time being wasted, he was a pony after Max's own heart.

With a slight bow, Maximilian introduced himself by his full name. The curator simply adjusted his glasses again and looked at Max expectantly. The rich unicorn clarified, stating that he was in fact there to buy a piece or two. That seemed to get the older pony's attention and he quickly nodded, pointing out that one can't exactly just walk in and buy a piece, and that some paper work had better be filled out before anyone was getting anything. 

Max promptly agreed and allowed the stallion to go find somepony to consult, leaving Max by himself, staring at the piece that would soon be his.

Brazil was never one to desire standing around in these fancypants art places for too long - there was something about them he simply couldn't get along with, no matter what he tried...the art was always ridiculous, the ponies stuck up and entirely over-privileged, and the obvious stench of hypocrisy made his fur stand on end as everypony switched positions on what was and was not art every other darn second.

Still, after being part of an expedition to recover the Pony-Liza and other old-world art from some recently found old villages, Brazil had been charged with the task of getting them to the curator of the art display...and he had done so efficiantly and without delay - although he wasn't really fond of dealing with the art crowds as a whole.

He was just getting ready to head out after delivering the goods to the relevent parties when it was one of the members of staff who tapped him on the shoulder and whispered something in his ear about a pony wanting to look over the new art deliveries...and that he might be the pony best suited to be the first point of call. He couldn't help but feel somewhat bemused at this development...

Somepony wanted to buy one of these paintings? Already?!

Uttering a small frustrated sigh of annoyance at the fact he wasn't getting out of this luna-forsaken place anytime soon, the explorer makes his way down to the main reception where this so called pony was apparently waiting - this wasn't really his business, since his trade was definately NOT shilling pieces of art to the highest bidder...he was a pony of action, danger and the occasional romantic interlude - the very idea of him offering advice to some rich pony about art almost made him want to laugh.

And then he saw the pony he was meant to talk to...and almost immediately felt like he needed to buck a table...

Maximillian Rockafilly - there weren't enough words to describe how much he couldn't get along with the rich, stuck-up pony - never considering the little guy, or doing anything to truly benefit others unless he did too. He was the kinda pony Brazil had had problems with all his life, and would always inherantly never truly get along with because of the sheer different trains of thought that lay between himself and them.

Brazil wasn't doing what he did for himself, even if he enjoyed it...it was always out of respect for Equestria's past - he had gained this over the few years after he had earnt his cutie mark, and knew enough to appreciate what had come before himself and everypony!

Still, for the immediate time being the Earth pony puts his personal feelings aside and approaches the Unicorn with a dry smile...an eyebrow cocked as he stopped just a few meters away from his long-term school rival.

" So I hear somepony's after some art and needed assistance! What, The mirror not doing it for you anymore, eh maxxy? "

" So I hear somepony's after some art and needed assistance! What, The mirror not doing it for you anymore, eh maxxy? "

Of course, OF COURSE it had to be Brazil nut.

They were familiar, too familiar, and the painful days at private school only made him want to get out of there right now and ditch the painting. He took a deep breath and tried to calm himself.

I wasn't the nicest pony back then... maybe I was judging him too harshly back then?

That smirk that Brazil carried was as annoying as ever, but Max forced himself to look past it. He didn't try so hard to change only to have it undone by an enemy from his school days. With a slight adjustment of his tux the Rockefilly looked at Brazil, honestly trying to smile.

"Well Brazil, even my good looks can get a bit old, as you can plainly see." Maximilian still wasn't exactly sure how to perform 'banter' and he could only hope that his joke was seen as just that.

"I'm interested in one of these pieces, mainly because I feel like it could really add some class to my home."

He wasn't exactly sure how Brazil would perceive that, mainly because he was certain that Brazil was completely oblivious to Max's recent change in direction. Of course the archaeologist wouldn't be aware of Max's honest attempts to change, but the unicorn didn't hold it against him.

"I mean, I don't usually fancy the arts, don't see much purpose to them to begin with, but I do feel like one of them would add some much needed... panache to my living room."

The rich Stallion gulped and looked at Brazil, unwilling to explain himself further, mostly out of a desire for privacy, but also to see how Brazil would respond to that. There was a part of Max that still thought of Brazil as some worthless brute that saw fit to serve himself and only himself as he dug around for useless baubles. But of course, Max was wiling to give him a chance, only if he was given that chance in return.

Brazil raises an eyebrow, letting the comments stew in his mind a moment - Max wasn't really one of his closest friends...as a matter of general fact, he'd never really seen why the other pony was held in any esteem at all, considering he had always been a stuck up, selfish jackass back in their older school days. Sure, Brazil had been a fairly uncouth and brash youngster and had seen more than his fair share of a foals time in detention and the principles office for his overly zealous and loud nature, he at least had always been an honest and down to earth pony - Max on the other hand was one of the rich kids, the kind who had their nose either in the air or buried in the proverbial flanks of those higher up the chain of respect to himself...or at least, that was how the explorer had seen things.

The very idea that the one pony he didn't feel needed to buy one of these was currently before him...well, Brazil wasn't exactly feeling in the most forthcoming mood ever since coming back from that little expedition - although he was also entirely aware that he couldn't just decline to help, that would more or less put over entirely the wrong idea.

Instead, he simply clears his throat loudly and looks around - for the most part, it was fairly quiet and unpopulated where they were...other than the few members of staff casually cantering around and a few art critic ponies staring at what Brazil gathered were either masterpieces or disasters...he could never really tell seeing that he wasn't that much of an art fan but he did like some of the art depicted enough to see why ponies might want them for themselves!

" Well, I suppose I could...see where you might want something like that - I mean...from, uh, what I saw of them they're each nice pieces and all, so there's always a good reason why any pony might want it. " Brazil says with a brief shrug, giving a small uncertain frown

" But I'm not sure that...well, they're suited for a pony's home - Some of these are rare pieces, depictions of the royal sisters at play - these are Equestria treasures to share with all of ponykind in a place like this, not to be just hung up in the front room of any old 'Rich' stallion...no, I'm not sure I can really endorse the idea and feel good about the idea - not so soon after their recovery! "

Sure, Brazil knew Max probably may not take too kindly to the idea, but Brazil knew enough to stand against things that he disagreed with...and even if the pony before him was to flash a cent in his direction, the earth pony adventurer was an unshakeable force in his convictions.

Rumour had it that the pieces weren't just just pieces of collectors art, some had been commissioned by somepony who had been clearly close to the princesses at the time, and he couldn't just let them simply fall out of public viewing, not after having been lost for all this time to the world!

Maximilian scoffed and rolled his eyes, obviously not a huge fan of the excuse presented to him. It was just art, it wasn't like these pieces were actually worth the millions that Max was willing to pay for them. However, as much as he didn't want to admit it, the adventurer had a point, such pieces should at least have some time to be seen before being carted away to his own private estate. It would allow the regular ponies to see them, and then, once they were moved, it would drive their price up a little bit after being in the public's eyes, which was useful if he ever wanted to sell them off.

The rich Stallion sighed and looked closely at his old foe from school, the regular trouble maker who would rather get suspended than simply listen to authority. Max knew the importance of making friends and influencing ponies, but it seemed that this Stallion had never really learned much in school, especially how to make use of your life. Max did respect Brazil for being his own pony, but there comes a point where you have to get used to the world and fall in line.

Putting his frustration aside, Max blinked a few times and raised a hoof in an attempt to come across as friendly.

"How about a deal? I buy the piece, but it stays here as long as you want, just so long as I can claim it eventually. Surely that would work, especially if I double the offer..."

Max tried to look disinterested, but he was genuinely anxious about getting this piece. Everypony had a piece of art in the home, and it was a way of getting respect, and more importantly, influence. If he could get his hooves on this piece, it could actually prove useful for his future endeavors.

Brazil kept his eyes on the other pony - well aware that this was a very shrewd and very cunning old acquaintence he was dealing with, and one whom had never truly kept his disdain quiet for the profession that Brazil had so highly kept up to the best of his capabilities...and thus seeing the other pony be so entirely dismissive of both his hard work and what these pictures were representative of did nothing more than get Brazil's temper to rise...

Art pieces such as these were not mere things for any mere mortal ponies to simply own, and he wasn't about to let Max forget that.

" Is this really what you rich folk get up to in your spare time? " Brazil says with a small roll of the eyes and an annoyed snort, a growing anger creeping over the adventurous pony like an evening shadow. " Come into museums like these and treat it like a candy store? What, so just because all of this art here is on public display means it's ALL immediately available to treat like a mere item to buy and sell...mere commodities for the rich ponyfolk of canterlot? "

He takes a small pause, and clears his throat - a deep cleansing breath before he continues his 'quiet' outburst in Max's direction.

" I'll never understand what it is about money that makes you rich ponies such stuck up... " He paused briefly mid-sentence a moment as he looks around, a few ponies now looking at his direction curiously - which he deflects with his casual disarming grin, at which they merely look away with an audible Tsk of disapproval. " It's just amazing that you look at these like some kind of collectible - I'd honestly NOT be surprised if there was a portrait of your own smug muzzle somewhere in your own home! "

Sure, this was getting the conversation a little off the beaten track, but he was not an employee of the museum...he'd been here under his own free will to make sure the pictures had gotten the restoration attention and home they deserved. He held no desire to simply let these paintings be handed over to a pony of such unrepentant ignorance to what they meant for all of equestria...and even what they might mean to the princesses themselves!

" Sorry, Max - the paintings weren't even for sale at this juncture...Whatever you were told was wrong! " he says, shrugging as he turns towards the way out.

" But heck, go stop by the Equestrian art history exhibit to see them being hung tomorrow...in the Royal Equestrian Wing - where everypony can appreciate them! "

Maximilian snorted and shook his head. Of course Brazil-Nut would say such things. He hadn't really thought Brazil was capable of acting civilized, but Max had at least assumed he would show at least a bit of tact. Most of the explorer's words fell on deaf ears, as the Rockefilly tried his hardest to continue listening. Brazil once again used the phrase 'stuck up', and that was something that really got to Maximilian. The last few months of his life were devoted to clearing his name, and trying to to more for the common pony, but would Brazil care about that? No. He's too busy with his muzzle in the dirt looking for baubles and trinkets.

"Brazil, while I'd love to stand here and tell you all about my choice of interior decorations, I simply don't have the time to explain it all to you. Needless to say, sir, that a portrait of myself would be the last thing hanging anywhere in my house. Why I want this painting is simple, in the very intricate world of economics and business, impressions are vital. This piece, being well publicized, will no doubt help me immensely when it comes to getting things done. You have no idea how much these... things mean to some ponies. Besides, if owning this will make getting my work done faster, by all means, I'll buy it."

Max was fed up with Brazil's attitude, and he had no intention of being pushed around any longer. The intrepid earth pony had the audacity to continue insulting him, and with a grin on his face the whole time. This wasn't some matter of honor, or something trivial like that, this was a matter of making sure that Brazil knew exactly who he was dealing with, and how this was going to play out.

"And..." Having expressed the important point, Max stepped a bit closer to the other stallion. It really hurt Max to be insulted like that, after all he'd been doing, and he was certain that Brazil was up to his old ways, simply trying to hurt Max with his words. It was effective at school, Brazil's so-called 'harmless teasing' proved to be anything but, and Maximilian was sure not to fall into that old rut again.

"Mister Brazil Nut. I did NOT move out to Appleoosa, begin funding the LARGEST industrial project in Equestrian history, devote 40% of my income to charity, and create the FIRST low-rent housing in Manehattan all for some pretentious, foalish, ignorant, reckless, and absolutely UNBEARABLE stallion to insult me to my face..."

"Both of us have been up to a lot since our days at school, Brazil. I suggest, for once in your life, that you pick up a newspaper and read about what's going on in the world NOW, take your muzzle out of the history books and pay attention, if you can."

Max advanced on Brazil, frowning. He didn't mind getting a bit off topic, especially if it meant confronting a pony from his past. "That was always your problem, Brazil. You were too busy looking back to keep up with the rest of us. History is fine and dandy, but devoting your life to it?!"

"You call me vain, and arrogant, and that may in fact be true. But come now, don't act all high and mighty when the only thing you ever do for others is dig up pieces of trash and call it a day!"

The Rockefilly adjusted his tux and looked at Brazil once more. "Besides, I don't really need your permission to buy the painting, do I? I don't think you own the thing, you're just the lackey who dug it up. If you want, i can throw some bits your way for your troubles."