[Appleloosa] A Gem Of A Day

Dubstep

The sun was shining bright in the Appleloosian sky this morning, a crisp breeze rolling through the air made the normally hot desert town a much cooler place, which was JUST fine by a certain blue tinted Diamond Dog. It was that time of the week again, time for Gideon to pull his cart into Appleloosa and see what kind of suckers...Or customers rather, he could wrangle in today. Now Gideon wasn't like most Diamond Dogs, or at least not like what most Ponies ASSUMED them to be. Gideon wouldn't come to town to steal away ponies or anything so drastic. No, Gideon was a business dog of sorts, or as some would call him, a shyster. Good old Gideon would bring in gems. All sorts of gems, though, these weren't as precious as one would think. But good luck getting Gideon to tell you that.

With a sigh, Gideon pulled his cart, an old refurbished 'carpetbagger' style thing as it were, into the market area and parked it, the bipedal canine had a sly grin on his face as he set up, 'Oh Gideon you devil you, you're just too good for you own good sometimes you know that?' he thought to himself as he polished up some gems, sitting them on display, 'Buy em low sell em high, money makes the world go round after all, and I plan on keeping my world spinnin.' flipping his sign to open, the Diamond Dog stepped behind the counter inside and barked, in the salesman sense, "Step right up everyone! No need to be shy, I don't bite! Got some gems once more to sell at a wonderful discount to you charming ponies! Diamonds, rubies, emeralds and sapphires! You'll find em all here! If I don't have em you don't need em! Need a special gift for that equally special someone? Get them a nice ring or necklace! Perfect for any occasion!" Gideon was good at the talk if anything, a gift that got him to where he was today, "Your someone not into gems? Not a problem, I've gold and silver too! And if you're in luck, I may have some Platinum left! Someone you know a touch on the superstitious side? All sorts of 'lucky' crystal and charms! Don't miss you chance!" now all Giddy had to do was wait for a good ol' sucker to take the bait.

• 5 weeks later...

Usually, if one is looking for a sucker, an individual would not have to look much further than the guy three people in front of Powder. The fluffy diamond dog does not look particularly at home in the arid climate, hailing from much colder regions if his appearance is anything to judge by. It seems that he is doing alright with the cool winds blowing in however. He approaches the cart with intense glee, how showy! It was terribly entertaining to his simple mind, and furthermore, the salesman reminds him of someone terribly dear to him. He is almost the perfect patsy, and as he approaches the cart with a bag full of jangle it seems like Gideon might be making a lucky sale indeed. This dog is clearly not particularly intelligent, with how sincerely his tail is wagging. In fact, one might go so far as call him slow, perhaps even honest and kind. Regardless, he steps up the cart and perks his ears especially much at the offer of lucky items. He remembers back to something he was once told: Succeeding in life is 30% Hard Work, 60% money, 10% talk and %100 luck... If he can BUY luck, he'll be halfway to success already! He feels incredibly shrewd for coming to this conclusion.

As he approaches the display, he pauses, looks over the wares, and just stares. He thought these were good? They aren't good! They look nice, yes, but he might as well be selling opal if he wants to sell things with impurities... The dog pauses for a moment, and plucks a red gem out of the rubies, waving it in front of Gideon's face, as if to explain something to him. "Beryl! Not Corundum!" he insists, wagging. It was alright, he could help this dog get his shop organized! Obviously no-one would make the mistake of pricing red beryl with rubies, you can't make a profit on them like that. Obviously the rest must be mistakes too. He looks over the wares again with glee, the prospect of having work to do visibly excites him.

Gideon glanced over as a large puffball of a Diamond Dog strolled up to his cart. He hadn't seen this one before, and most Diamond Dogs around these parts had thinner, more practical coats, ones that wouldn't possibly cause them heat stroke on the harsh summer days in the desert, but thick enough to keep them warm in the cold cold nights. This one though was quite different, looking more suited to the icy lands up north, near Stalliongrad and the like, the fuzzy glanced over Giddy's wears. Ahh the sound of clinking coins, this might be Gray's day after all. Sitting in his chair Gideon watched as other mooks decided to just pass by, not even taking a second glance at his cart.

This was, however, lucky for Gideon, as what Powder did next made his eye twitch, good heavens above he hoped no one else heard that, it seemed like they didn't at least. Glancing around Gideon leaned over to the other Diamond Dog, "Shhhsh kid, I know that but they don't. Can't go around letting the rubes in on the secrets eh?" he said, keeping his voice down, but still holding a firm tone. He wasn't about to let some savant come in and potentially wreck his business, not today, not on such a nice day