[Canterlot] A Dragon's Company [Open, PM to join]

Xiee

OC Invovled: Insight

Snow had began to fall in Canterlot. The Hearth Warming Season was here. Decorations filled the streets and everypony could be seen with a smile on their face. The light snow brought a pleasant accent to the city. Evening was fast approaching and the lights lit up. The city took on a new personality and seemed to transform into another being.

Insight had just returned home from his travels across Equestria. He hadn't found what he was looking for yet and whenever he had a solid lead on something, it always managed to be a dead end. He had began to think if he would ever finish his quest to find answers about his condition. Keeping that troublesome thought out of the way, he focused on the here and now. He was home and it was all that mattered.

The moon had just risen, and the clouds seemed to give way as it cut through the sky. The mild snowfall that was experienced throughout the day had ceased. The blanket of snow on the street and buildings seemed to reflect the light of the moon. It's as if Princess Luna herself planed for this to happen. The sight was something to behold as Ponies gawked at that short moment and began to resume what they were doing.

Insight had decided to take a walk that early evening before dinner. Passing by the bustling night shops and cheers of Ponies in the streets, he had noticed that aside from his classmates at school, he had no other friends. He had recalled those whom he had met during his travels and nopony seemed to stand out. He made his way through Canterlot's Central Park. There were Ponies all around. Some coming home from work with a few friends, laughing as they goofed off on the grass. A couple was celebrating their anniversary, honoring each other with a toast of Apple Champagne. And a few foals and fillies were playing with paper planes. He sighed as he sat on an empty bench and looked at the moon, thanking Luna for guiding him during the nights when he traveled. His mind began to wonder.

White snowflakes fell from the sky, coating the park grounds. The entire city was enjoying a light snowfall, each flake individually made by the weather ponies. 

Oasis the baby dragon wandered through the white, the thick white blanket reaching the top of his legs. The cold breeze bit at his wings as he fluttered up an inch, shaking snow from his toes. "Brr..." he muttered, clutching his arms in an attempt to warm up. Today had been a particularly tough day for the sky dragon, ponies to busy to spare him food, being pushed and kicked by the bustling shoppers, and once again, no luck finding an owner.

It wasn't a mother, necessarily, that he wished for. He was a majestic creature that could live for years and years and YEARS, but, he wanted a companion.

Somepony to play with, and eat with, and share with. A friend for life who would shelter him, and never abandon him for the first ugly dragon that came along... Oasis shivered at the thought of his past.

Everyone he met, pony, griffon or otherwise always told him that if he kept searching, then someday, somehow, he would find the perfect pony for him. But they never offered to take him in themselves.

Oasis trudged dejectedly through the park, and came across a bench. Taking no notice of the pony sat at the other end, he tried to climb up, using his hands to pull himself up. Ah yes, if only I could fly properly, like a big dragon, with big wings... it seemed so far away, especially if he couldn't find a friend with food in the house. Remembering his quest to perch on the high bench, Oasis began to struggle again, flapping his wings uselessly.

Insight snapped from his melancholy of thoughts. Somepony was trying to sit the other end of the bench, only it wasn't a Pony but a little baby dragon. This little fella was trying to get on the bench flapping his little wings. He thought it was cute. Insight stood up and moved over to the other end of the bench and with the tug of his hoof, he helped the little Dragon sit on the bench and smiled.

"Up you go little guy!" Insight said as he helped the baby Dragon. "Are you lost? Did you come to this park alone?"

No sooner than Insight realized at what he said, he noticed the little Dragon shivering. He reminded himself that they weren't warm blooded like the Ponies. He had removed his scarf from his neck and placed it around the little Dragon's neck. "There, feel better now?"

The pony on the other end of the bench slid over and helped oasis up. Shivering, he thanked the kind pony for his help as the dragon made himself comfortable on the bench. "Are you lost? Did you come here alone?" asked the unicorn.

The amount of times he explained this... 

"Yes, I did come her alone..." Oasis replied. He paused. Lost. He always was lost, and always would be. Without an owner, his life had no point, a lost soul among the happy ones... no mother, no family...

The unicorn then noticed his shiver and unwrapped his soft scarf. With delight, Oasis happily accepted it, the pony wrapping it around him. "There, feel better now?" he asked.

"Yes, thank you, much better." Oasis said truthfully, snuggling gratefully into  the soft wool. "I'm Oasis, by the way..." 

"Pleased to meet you." Insight extended a hoof and shook Oasis' hand. "My name is Insight."

"Yes I did come here alone..." It resonated in his ear. Was this little Dragon lost? Did he run away from home? Or did he really not have a home to go to? These thoughts had flashed in his mind when he noticed the little Dragon snuggling the scarf that he gave him. From what he could tell, this little Dragon had been out in the open for a long time. It's as if he was homeless. Insight didn't want to jump to conclusions so he just listened to the little Dragon.

• 2 weeks later...

"So do you live here? Have a family to go home to?" he said wistfully, staring up at the white sky, when a tiny, cold snowflake landed on his snout. He sneezed and laughed at himself, shaking his head.

"I don't have a home..." he continued thoughtfully. "If I did, I wouldn't be sat in the snowy park like you."

The sky dragon breathed out sadly. There was a tiny spark inside him that said he might have found his companion, yet Oasis ignored it; he'd felt this many times before and had always had to face the disappointment.

"Oh..." Insight just didn't know what to say when he heard the Dragon say that he had no family of his own. "I'm sorry. But yeah, I do have a family, but it's just me and my mom here in Canterlot."

Insight was quiet for a moment then an idea popped up.

"Hmmm... Oasis, would you like to be my guest at home for a while?" Insight scratched the back of his head with his hoof. "My mom is always at the university and rarely comes home so I'm alone there most of the time, and besides, I travel around Equestria a lot, so I'm not home that much either. I only came home to celebrate Hearth's Warming Eve. After the holidays, I'll probably be on my way again."

Insight needed the company as well, so he thought. He barely had friends and wasn't social enough, so he thought maybe getting together with this Dragon would change his standing a bit. He eagerly looked at the Dragon awaiting response.

Oasis sighed as the unicorn explained that he did in fact, have a family.

He sat silently, scratching the bench absent-mindedly, unsure what to say.

"Hmmm... Oasis, would you like to be my guest at home for a while?" asked Insight.

Shocked, Oasis turned to the pony. That's not the way it works, thought Oasis, I'm meant to be the one who asks! (Begs, he corrected himself.)

Food, shelter, friendship. All these warm thoughts flooded into his mind as the pony continued to reason.

"I'll probably be on my way again." was all Oasis heard. Insight had finished.

With glee, the baby sky dragon leapt up, squeaked as he slipped on the icy bench, slid off the edge and zoomed face-first into the thick snow.

Usually he would've been grumpy and upset, but he barely even realised it, he was almost crying tears of joy.

"YES. YES. YESSSS!" he wrapped his arms around the unicorn's leg and held tight.

Insight almost jumped when the Dragon clung to his leg like that. It felt awkward but if it made the Dragon feel appreciated then he didn't mind.

"We'll its getting late. I have to pick up a few things before the marketplace closes." Insight pointed his hoof towards the market district. "Would you mind accompanying me?"

As they made their way to the open market, Insight did a bit of shopping for necessities. A few apples, carrots, celeries here. Some fruit there and some bread. Insight had noticed that Oasis had been quite the whole time.

"If there's something you'd like to get, its on me. Don't be shy." He smiled as he said the offer.