Dusty Tomes

MicroChip

The streets were bustling with activity, but not so much that a normal pony would be hindered. For the young stallion hauling the large cart, however, things were proving to be rather difficult. After several pardons and ignoring all the glares from the stuck up ponies, Page Turner made his way up to one of the museums. With more then one, Page had to double check which one matched the address he was given. But Canterlot was designed well enough, that he had little trouble finding the place, only lots with pushing through the masses to get there. With a sigh, he parked his cart next to one of the buildings and removed the harness. A quick trip into his caravan, and he was off, placing some ancient books into his saddlebag.

Page rushed through the doors of the museum and caught himself before running headlong into a display. His eyes were darting around the lobby, trying to absorb as much as they could.

The day was young, and the pony he was looking for worked here, so it wouldn't hurt to take a look around before he dropped of his cargo. While books were his special talent, he loved old artifacts just as much. They all had stories of their own.

He spent a while looking at some things from the Hearth-Warming founding of Equestria, then moved on to some of the more recent history. So caught up by everything, Page failed to keep track of the time. Once he noticed a working clock, though, he was in for quite a shock. It didn't help that he had no clue where in the building he was, and the wight of the books hanging from his backs were a reminder that he had quite possibly screwed up what he was meant to do.

He quickly located someone that looked like they worked in the museum, and waved to them.

"Excuse me, sir. Could you help me out? I'm a little lost."

Saw bones had been wandering the halls of the museum ever since his shift started that morning. It was mostly empty, a lot of the time there were a good number of Canterlot ponies examining exhibits which kept Saw busy, but today he was surprisingly bored. Instead of standing by the entrance and greeting guests he began to wander around the building, despite the fact that he had seen all of the exhibits many times over. They still interested him, and every time he looked them over new archaeological questions popped into his head. Needless to say, he was distracted easily by these mysteries of the past.

As he was trotting down the "Recent Equestrian History" hallway, his hooves tapping on the shiny stone floors, he heard someone else wander into the exhibit. It took him a moment before he thought to introduce himself to the guest. Before Saw could greet him the pony looked at a clock, seemed to worry a moment after remembering his saddlebag, and look around nervously, This is when the newcomer spotted Bones, and trotted up to him in a worried rush.

This pony had a ruffled brown mane and messy tail, as well as the aforementioned saddlebags and thick glasses. He was also pretty short, but Saw could tell that he was easily as old as himself. "Excuse me, sir. Could you help me out? I'm a little lost." The pony said, glancing about nervously.

"Of course I could." Saw Bones said politely, putting on his giddy greeter face. While he wasn't actually giddy that this visitor had... well, visited, he was rather happy that someone was taking interest in the past. And the way that this pony had been gazing at the exhibits as he walked along earlier was a good indication that he was a history buff. "What exactly is it that you need help with?"

Page smiled in relief. Not only did this pony know about the museum, he also seemed like a nice enough guy. Still recovering from the serge of adrenaline, Page shakily removed one of the books from his pack, and held it out for the other stallion to see.

"I had to deliver this to somepony here in the museum. I don't remember who. But it had to get to them today, as they're going out, but like I said I don't know who to."

Page stopped and took a few deep breaths to calm down.

"You wouldn't know who I would talk to about delivering these books, would you?"

Page twisted his body slightly to show the other books he was carrying, and returned the one he was holding to the rest.

"I'm Page, by the way. Page Turner," he said, sticking out a hoof.

As soon as Page mentioned the delivery of the books Saw became overjoyed, and it certainly showed in his expression. His eyes grew wide in excitement as he looked at the books, and his smile became even larger. He had ordered these books awhile ago, planning on keeping some for himself and sharing the others with his mother at her book shop, she had been asking for some rarities that she could sell for a good price. He glanced at the saddlebag with a new found interest, and returned to greeting Page.

"Oh, thank you! These'll be a great help in some of my research!" Saw Bones said, nodding his head. Yes, he certainly was easily excitable when it came to history, and the fact that he had needed new, or rather very old, books to continue his investigation of early Equestrian settlements only increased his eagerness.

"My name is Saw Bones, nice to meet you Page Turner." Saw said before taking the other stallions hoof in a hoofshake.

Page's eye's widened in surprise and his happily shook Saw's hoof. This was easier then he'd expected. No need to go looking then. And the name was fermiliar. He was sure it had come up when the order came in.

"Well, in that case, you'd better take me to your office, or wherever you want these," he said flicking his head towards the books.

He looked back a Saw and made not of his cutie mark. "I take it your an archaeologist or something similar. Do you specilize in clumps of old huts, or is that just what you're doing right now?" he asked with a grin.

"Sure, just follow me, my office is pretty close." Saw said, turning around and walking off down the hallway with Page following him.

As they were walking down the hallway Turner pointed out his cutie mark, "I take it your an archaeologist or something similar. Do you specialize in clumps of old huts, or is that just what you're doing right now?" He said with a smirk on his face. Saw Bones wasn't sure whether or not he meant it as a joke, meant to poke fun, or simply an observation.

He turned his head to look at Page while still walking, and took a split moment to reply. "Yes, I'm an archaeologist, though my interests usually waver when it comes to which subjects I'm studying. While I usually focus on Old Equestria, I have learned things about other places." Saw said, happy to have a little company on this slow day. It did seem to brighten it a bit.

After another minute or two the duo came upon a door off to one side of the hallway with "Saw Bones" printed on it in simple lettering. "Here we are," he said, turning the knob and letting Page Turner in first before following behind. The office itself was rather cramped, with two of the walls covered in old and dusty writings. It certainly was an impressive collection, and the subjects varied greatly from books on ancient ponies to gryphons. Some were even dedicated to mathematics, and the study of it over time. In the middle of the office was a circular table with a few stacks of books and inkwells, as well as a large map of Equestria in the middle. It had various sections circled off, and a lot of other papers scattered over it.

"I'm sorry about the mess, I'm not quite used to getting visitors." Bones said, suddenly becoming a little more self conscious with a guest.

Page politely nodded thanks as he passed Saw Bones into the office. He turned his head to see where he was walking, and almost ripped over his own hooves at the sight. There were books everywhere he looked. Not just any books, though. There were amazing books. Pure knowledge was staring him in the face. There were even a few books on advanced mathematics tucked in with all the history.

He caught the comment about the clutter, and just smiled and waved his hoof at it all, slowly closing his mouth and regaining his composure.

"You try pulling a book store around. The smallest bump could spell a day of picking up for me."

He wandered over to the desk and scanned it for an open spot. His eyes lingered on the map for a moment, then fell upon a small patch of bare desk.

"Also, most of my work is with other academics and foals," he chuckled pulling the books out of his bag. He paused, the books halfway out. "A rather divided pair of groups, if you think about it..."

He shook his head and placed the old tomes on the desk. "But you can trust me when I say that this is no mess."

Page smiled slightly. His job done, he could head off, grab a quick bite to eat, then get a good sleep. But the pony in front of him seemed nice enough, and he looked like Page was the most interesting thing that had happened today. Probably wouldn't hurt to talk for a while. Page was all for it. Saw had to have had one of the few noses that weren't turned up at him today.

"I take it those are dig sites?" Page asked, gesturing to the map on the table. "A lot of them look like somewhat remote places. Not what you'd call the beaten trail."

Bones saw Page's amazement at his collection and was slightly flattered, and also pleased that there are other ponies that had such a passionate interest in the historic. He was happy that he had found someone else like him on such an unassuming day as this, and in this line of work they might just run into each other again.

"You pull around your book store? That must get pretty tough on the open road, and you must've had a hard time getting through the city with so many people." Saw said, moving to the side of the table opposite Page. He had had some hard work himself with lugging about artifacts and rock during digs, but he couldn't think of what it would be like to do it all the time, and with an entire inventory on your shoulders!

He sat their listening as Page told him briefly about his dealings, then raised an eyebrow in interest. "Foals you say? Are you a bit of a teacher as well?" That would be a line of work Saw couldn't really get into. Even with his passions and knowledge he would have a hard time teaching little ones from the very beginning.

After Turner inquired about the map Saw happily obliged his question. "Yes, those are dig sites. Well, at least some of them. The ones in red ink are places that have already been discovered, and the black ones are possible locations. I can't really be sure, which is why I need to do as much research as possible. Yeah, they are pretty out of the way... I'd like to spare resources by finding the most promising lead."

Page laughed at Saw question.

"No! Never a teacher. I just provide the material. A portion of my stock is made up of picture books and tall tales. Comes from having grown up with a little brother. He's kept me seeing the joy of helping out the little ones. And still keep part of the colt I used to be alive," he smiled smiling fondly, with a hint of a smirk.

Page listened with interest about the other pony's methods. He defiantly sounded like he knew what he was doing. There was one thing that was beginning to gnaw at Page's mind. He hoped it would work.

"How often do you visit these sites. They don't look the locations where you can get up and think 'I'll just trot over to the dig this afternoon'"

Saw smiled as Page did after the explanation with the children. "Ah, that makes much more sense. It must be nice being in good standing with young foals. I sometimes get to act as a tour guide for the museum, but as I said before, I'm not the best with children." He looked up at the book shelves fondly a moment before returning his attention to Page. "I have a few story books with me, they're a nice way of immersing yourself in the basic mythology of a culture. You may borrow some if you'd like. That is, if you don't already own a copy."

He then listened to Page's question, enjoying this conversation more and more. "You're right, a lot of these places would require weeks, maybe months, to uncover something, if anything. That is why I tend to focus on one group of places at a time. For example, I might decide to look into the most easily accessible places first, and then move my way up from their, finding which sites are most likely to have something. Of course It helps a lot if I have some pegasi to help with exploring the mountain ranges." Saw Bones finished, looking at Page.

Page just chuckled softly, He had more then enough books to keep him busy for a long time. No need to go adding more!

He dismissed the situation and looked past Saw at the map. He recognized most of the locations, but had only actually seen one or two of the areas around the dig sites.

Saw Bones seemed eager to explain the digs, and Page was genuinely interested.

"Makes sense. Won't spread to thin. So what's your next dig then? I take it no mountains yet. Unless there was suddenly a surplus of archaeology-inclined pegasi"

He looked over the map

"The best place seems to be somewhere near the valleys of Fillydelphia, but I can't be positive until I've looked over the books you just delivered. There's also a site near Ponyville, and even one as far away as Canterbury. These seem the most promising, but I still can't be too sure..." Saw Bones explained, trailing off and looking at the old books that Page had just delivered. It would certainly help to look at them now, and get started on the work to be had, but he had a guest to entertain and it's not like he couldn't research later.

He shook his head to clear his thoughts, only to notice that the time had easily escaped him in his excitement. It seemed that it was already approaching dusk, and he would need to stay up late tonight to begin with the books. Saw redirected his attention back to Page before speaking up. "Wow, would you look at that, nighttime has really crept up on us. Sometimes, I think the princesses change it, just to switch things up." Bones said jokingly while pointing towards his clock. "Where exactly are you staying while in Canterlot? perhaps we could continue this conversation tomorrow."

Page laughed at the joke, understanding exactly how Saw Bones felt.

"I sleep in my wagon. If you got a roof with you most of the time, you might as well use it, you know? I just need to find somewhere out of the way that nopony minds I use."

His early traveling days were filled with him finding out in the middle of the night that somepony DID mind he was on what seemed to be an empty lot.

He began making sure that everything was in order to go. Saw was looking eagerly at the books, and Page Turner wasn't a pony to keep someone from their studies. He then turned to Saw with the intent of saying farewell, but his stomach did the speaking for him. He grinned sheepishly.

"I guess I'll be off then. You don't happen to know anywhere around here I can get a bite to eat, do you? It's been a while since I've been to Canterlot. I have no clue what's worth going to."

Saw heard Page's belly grumble as he was making his farewell, realizing that he hadn't eaten in awhile either. It didn't matter, he had some snacks in his desk, but not enough to give anypony a proper meal. "Yes, actually, there is a place a few blocks from here. It's called the Hard Trot Cafe. It's pretty informal, and it's a hotspot fro traveling ponies. They also have excellent stew!" Saw bones said while walking to the door and opening it for Page. Hopefully they'd be able to continue this conversation tomorrow.

"If you want to come and see what I've figured out, then feel free to stop by tomorrow! It's certainly a great change to have someone new versed in history to talk to!" Saw said, waving before closing his office door. He turned back to his table and looked at the stack of new books. These would definitely help... only now he needed to figure out where to start. He picked the most promising one out of the stack, flipping through the pages and studying the writing with great interest. Even if he didn't find all of the details he needed it would certainly be an interesting night.

Page thanked the other pony, and made his way out the open door.

"I think I will come back. It's been a while since I've had a good stimulating conversation."

With that, he waved back, and began wandering down out of the building. He stepped outside and took a deep breath of the evening air. As studious ah he was, there was no way he'd be caught in an office (as beautiful as Saw's was). He needed to be outside, and his job saw to that, for sure.

A passerby informed Page of the direction of the Hard Trot, and he was soon on his way. A hot meal and a good nights sleep was in order. Hauling the cart hallway up Canterlot and wandering a whole museum could really take it out of a pony. Still, food had to come first, and his stomach wouldn't let him forget that.

All throughout the night the archaeologist pony flipped through the pages of his new books, recording important details on pieces of paper and scrawling notes on the side of his map. He became so immersed that he didn't notice when everypony else at the museum had left for the night, and he continued working by the light of an overhead lamp. He didn't even eat that much, he was simply distracted. But as the night ticked onwards, he began to get drowsier and drowsier. Saw couldn't even remember falling asleep, he kept on writing notes until he fell with his head on the table. His eyes closed slowly and he laid his pen down reluctantly, sleep finally taking him.

Saw awoke with a start, confused for a moment because all he was able to see were blurry letters. After a moment he got up, and shook a book off of his face. He rubbed his eyes and looked around for his clock, trying to figure out what time it was. Saw was surprised to see that it was so late in the morning, and he hurriedly left his office to run to the foyer of the museum. If Page hadn't arrived already, then it would be a good place to wait for him.

(OOC: sorry I haven't been able to post very often, I only get a chance later at night and even now I'm really tired)

• 2 weeks later...

(OCC: I'm so sorry that I disappeared for so long. I fell ill, which put me almost a week behind in my studies, so I've had to catch up. Everything should go much more smoothly now, though.)

Page Turner smiled to himself as he trotted into the museum. He'd slept really well, and the morning was going beautifully. The Hard Trot Cafe was just as good as Saw Bones had said, and Page had found somepony willing to let him park his wagon for the night for quite a reasonable fee. Once he'd settled down, he skimmed through the books that he'd received last week from an old unicorn on spell origins. Despite being an earth pony, magic was something that fascinated Page, and he probably had a greater understanding of the sciences behind it then the average unicorn, thanks to books like these. It was times like these that he envied his brother, who had gotten his mother's unicorn traits. That thought had reminded him that it had been a while since he'd written to his family, so when he got up he promptly went for a walk, making sure to drop off a letter to the first post office he came across.

By then it was late morning, so Page now found himself waiting in the museum foyer to see Saw Bones. He almost laughed when he spotted the other pony racing out to meet him. Page had seen that disheveled look countless times just by looking in a mirror most mornings. He could tell Saw had just woken up from using a book as a pillow. How long was he studying for? Those books must have been needed.

Page waved the other stallion over with a big smile. "You look rested," he commented as Saw trotted over, "I take it those books had what you were after?"

Bones was relieved when he saw his friend waving him over at the other end of the foyer. He had decided to come back after all, not that Saw had expected him not to. It would have been unfortunate if Turner had to leave on short notice, and he hadn't ended up cmoing back any time soon. As the archaeologist approached Page Turner commented on his messy appearance, to which he replied: "Yeah, nothing does the mind quite as good as a book pillow."

"I take it those books had what you were after?" Turner asked, looking curiously at Bones.

"Yeah, they were a great help! thanks for delivering them!" Bones said, straightening his hair and rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. He was a little drowsy from last nights reading, but it was worth it. He had managed to figure out where an early settlement had lain, and what areas he should start excavating. "Oh, but you probably want to know what I figured out," He said with a chuckle. "I found that some earlier ruins might be closer to the Everfree forest, down by Fillydelphia, rather than the mountains! Interesting, but not surprising. The land would probably more fertile around there..." He trailed off, thinking back on it. He might have to take soil samples to find the most fertile spot, because that would be where they would plant, but no, he should trust his previous methods. Earlier ponies might not have been able to pinpoint the best spot, so it would be unreliable. After he realized he wasn't paying attention to Turner he shook his head and directed his attention back to his fellow history buff.

Page slowly raised an eyebrow as Saw's mind went Celestia knows where. Probably back to his office. Page quickly hid the expression when the other pony returned to the present.

"Makes sense why nopony's found anything. There isn't much in the area but the plains, so not much chance of anything being dug up."

Page frowned as he looked back at the journeys he'd made through the area over the years.

"I can't say I've seen anything to indicate such a place in all the times I've gone through, so either it's well buried, or I just haven't had the luck to pass it yet."

Page smiled brightly as he looked over to Saw.

"I go through there all the time, traveling to and from Apploosa, so I'm familiar with the area. I wouldn't mind dropping by when you get set up."

Page looked him over, once again, again taking note of how he looked.

"I take it you haven't had anything to eat yet? I hardly had much of a breakfast. Lets talk over a meal."

"Really, I'm fine...." Saw Bones aid, trying to be polite. but a moment later his stomach betrayed him, grumbling loudly in the awkward silence. He had skipped breakfast, and really hadn't had much to eat for dinner the night before. "Heh, I guess I could go for some food." He said, rubbing the back of his head. He'd known Page Turner for about a day and already they were going out to breakfast together to discuss archaeology, It certainly seemed like they would be great friends in the future!

He let Page lead the way as he followed behind, keeping up conversation. "It would be awesome if you did visit, I would love to share any finds with you."

(OOC:Herpaderp, kinda short post, but enough)

(OOC: A thousand apologies for taking so long, but sickness and midterms all pressed together doesn't make for time to do things like this. I should be more diligent in the future)

Page chuckled as he began heading outside.

"I'll make sure I do. I should be in Canterlot more often, now that I have a few customers at magic academy. I'm sure I can find out where you're digging, and make sure my route takes me past."

Page looked over to Saw with a big grin.

"I have to admit, I'm actually excited by the concept. The only practical application I've experienced from my readings is simple magic. And that was when an annoyed unicorn levitated me onto a roof."

He chuckled lightly at the memory.

"Spent the night up there," he muttered.

He shook his head and turned to his companion.

"I saw a cafe not to far from here that looks like it's worth a shot. But as long as they can make a decent cup of tea, I don't really care."

(OOC: That's okay, man, I understand there are more important things going on right now.)

Bones let out a chuckle, hearing the interesting story about a lone night on a rooftop. "What did you do to get him annoyed? Seems pretty unreasonable to just chuck someone onto a roof." he said in between giggles. It sounded like Page had a lot of interesting stories from his time on the road, probably more than Bones would ever have sticking around in his office reading up on ancient discoveries and possible leads. It didn't matter to him, the excitement of being involved in such a field was exactly what he wanted, and he got to be outdoors plenty of the time by visiting sites.

"I could go for some coffee myself" Saw said, letting out a yawn. "A muffin would be good too."

(OOC: Gah! I was wondering why there hadn't been a reply. Apparently my last post didn't go through.)

Page's smile grew broader.

"Let's just say he was a 'unicorns are better then anypony else' type. Having an earth pony know more then him about magical theory was what bought him to the decision that something had to be done for me to 'learn my place.' The multiple drinks where what convinced him that a rooftop what the best way to do that."

Page stopped to turn into a small cafe. The warm smell of coffee and baked goods wafted out the door as he held it open for Saw. Page took a deep breath before following the other pony.

"Let's see if they taste as good as they smell, hm?"

Nodding towards Page in agreement Saw stepped into the cafe, where he got a good whiff of the delicious scent of coffee and pastries. His mouth began to water, and he directed his attention to the muffins a baker pony was pulling out of the oven. He couldn't help but comment. "Those smell absolutely wonderful." He said switching his gaze from to the muffins to the baker. The baker responded with a polite thank you, and proceeded to ask if the two of them wanted anything.

"Why, yes, me and my friend here would like two muffins, a cup of coffee, and a cup of tea." Saw Bones said, inclining his head towards Page. The baker left briefly, getting the drinks and swiping two muffins off of the fresh batch. He returned with a cup of coffee and tea, and placed it on the counter with a tray. placing a little money on the counter Saw returned to Page with the tray, motioning him to take a seat at one of the nearby tables.

Page took the invitation and sat down at the closest table.

"Thank you," he said, accepting the cup of tea and removing one of the muffins from the tray with a eager look in his eyes.

"Don't let me forget to pay you back for this," he mentioned just before taking a sip of tea and large bite from the muffin.

His desire to at least enjoy dome of the muffin quenched, Page looked over the top of his cup at Saw Bones with a curious look.

"Now then. I gave you a story involving drinking and magicking, but have yet to hear about any of your endeavors. I'm sure you have something amazing or entertaining happen to you during a dig or something."

With that he seemed to return all of his attention to his food and drink for a few moments before looking aback up at the other pony.