Parody: This Friday Night

weesh

One of my hobbies is writing musical tributes to things that are important to me as parodies of other songs.

I've got a few in mind, but on Tuesday, a pair of my friends became excited about my coming over tomorrow to show them an episode (probably Fall Weather Friends) or more if they like it.

All this is to say that I got Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night" stuck in my head and the following brony song nearly wrote itself. Sure it is short, and only half a chorus, but I am sending it to them soon today to solidify the time that I am showing up. No worries about this turning them off, they are fun-loving people.

Sooooo, if you guys have any clean-up suggestions in the next 2 hours, I could incorporate them in the email. If you are amused, it might become an entire song. Without further ado I present:

"This Friday Night" by weesh

Am I regretting what I said?

Doctors need to check my head?

Ponies all over the room,

Will you watch them with me soon?

Singing praises like a bard,

making friends sure is hard

Episode I'd like you to view,

On my copy of iTunes

Records of this night

Yeah, will be denied I'm sure

Oh well

yeah, it's a bit strange,

But this enjoyment sure is pure

Really

This Friday night

Good feelings they evoke

Yeah those ponies aren't a joke

'Til my man card you revoke

This Friday night

Showin' you a piece of heav'n

At about the time of seven?

Taking coolness to eleven

This Friday night

Ponies maaaaaaaaade of win

This Friday night

Ponies maaaaaaaaade of win

I love it! No suggestions! :D - Umm except that you also do Rebecca Black Friday as well in a ponified version.

ah ah ah...(wags finger) don't look down on that video - Katy Perry herself actually had Rebecca on stage with her and they sang Friday together. (zomg Katy sounded light years better of course)

I would like you to put each of the Mane 6 on each day ad Derpy on Sunday.

I love it! No suggestions! :D - Umm except that you also do Rebecca Black Friday as well in a ponified version.

I don't find that song as horrible as the hype suggests it is. Yes it is quite bad, but it fails with style and confidence (it was up collecting dislikes for WEEKS after it broke all the records for youtube hate). I just added it to the list along with my ideas for tributes to Fluttershy, and to Angel.

This was hilarious!

I ended up playing the youtube video (quietly) and reading the words. Hilarious. Good job.

Thank you for your encouragement.

That is how I write these things as well (although in this case I was listening to the "Last Ten Years" parody, which I realize is a bit meta). Had I the time, it would have been a full chorus.

Doctors need to check my head?

The idea was that as a 27 year old dude watching MLP, I wonder if I am crazy.

I make frequent use of hyperbole in this for the sake of humor. I don't own enough ponies for them to be all over, and as you can see from my signature, I don't actually buy into the man-card thing.

you... you are a brave man, much braver than me. Tell us how it goes!

Tell us what your lineup of episodes is, please?

Good luck!

I may report later tonight after I get home on Friday night.

My tentative plan is for Fall Weather Friends.

If they are willing to go one more, I might pull out Dragonshy or Swarm of the Century or Winter Wrap-Up.

If they go crazy over it, then I am thinking about moving straight to the pilot to start watching in order.

Still undecided though.

Alright, time for a report on how this evening went. My friends are about 30 years and married with no kids. They knew almost nothing of the series, but the girl had seen some internet chatter. The girl sent me back an "lol" to the song email as well.

The guy set up my computer for me, including a mouse and was working on starting the first episode. At which point I asked if they would rather start on a classic episode that well represents the series, or at the pilot, and they both had a heavy preference for going in order. They laughed a bit during the first episode, and when the "to be continued" hit the screen I decided to wait and see what they would say. The reaction from both was both was to hurry up to see how it would end. After the second, the girl was hooked, and the guy was amused, but still wary. He implied that he had just one more in him, so I suggested that I pick a good one and he bit on that. At which point I had an epiphany...

I asked which characters they liked the best. The guy jumped on "the crazy pink one" so I selected "feeling pinkie keen" but alas! I have it rated 3 stars in itunes (meaning it is in the middle 5, not that it is only 3 stars strong) and he lost interest. The girl suggested fluttershy, so we were off to see "dragonshy". Again, they enjoyed it and were quoting the episode after the fact, but the guy was done. We started chatting a bit about it, and the guy said something about complaining, and I felt the desire to show them the Rarity "I am not whining" clip, but the girl woudl have none of that. She wanted to see the whole of "dog and pony show" and her husband capitulated and had a good time.

After we spent another hour chatting, I tentatively suggested coming over with my computer again, and the girl was enthusiastic, and the guy was interested.

Succeess!