Dart's Foray Into Pony Arts

Orange Dart

I made up a reference sheet for my namesake today.

orange_dart_thumbnail.png

Click for full image.

I still haven't quit got the hang of FiM-style. The head is too small. :D I'll definitely need to work on my pony anatomy.

Okay, new one, with a new Cutie Mark that fits her better. And I think the anatomy is better this time. Her head is bigger, the thighs are shorter, and the wings are shorter.

orange_dart_new.png

I made up a reference sheet for my namesake today.

orange_dart_thumbnail.png

Click for full image.

I still haven't quit got the hang of FiM-style. The head is too small. :D I'll definitely need to work on my pony anatomy.

Well the anatomy isn't that off or anything. It is a very iconic, cutesy design and takes some time to get used to, especially if you normally draw more realistically. Honestly you don't have to be exact with the shows style to fit well into the "FiM" look. Most artists here have blend the show's style with their own successfully.

Here though is a motherload of reference material for drawing pony in the FiM style, which I found to be very informative.

The only thing that seems "off" is that I think the hind thighs should a little shorter and the lower hide leg a little longer.

Updated with this:

orange_dart_new.png

Dawww, she is so cute and very well drawn too! What program did you use for her? Your style messes well with the FiM style, great job. :D My only critique is that line above (and is supposed part of) her front left hoof doesn't seem to quite belong, but that is a very minor quibble, the image is awesome.

Dawww, she is so cute and very well drawn too! What program did you use for her? Your style messes well with the FiM style, great job. :D My only critique is that line above (and is supposed part of) her front left hoof doesn't seem to quite belong, but that is a very minor quibble, the image is awesome.

I used PaintTool SAI for everything except the Cutie Mark, which I made in Photoshop by vectoring over some clipart from Google, and the text, since I don't really know how to do text in SAI.

I see what you mean on the front leg there. That is the wrong line. The lower half of the leg should overlap the upper half, so it should be a "vertical" line attached to the lower half instead of a "horizontal" attached to the upper half. I had a derp moment. :D

Thank you very much!