[Home] Encore

Lucky Breeze

"Hey, they might go good together, you never know! Although, probably not..." Blueblaze said, returning a laugh. He was caught a little off guard by Djemba's nuzzle, but managed to keep a smile on his face. While he indeed felt very strongly for the mare, it made him rather uncomfortable. It was probably just the fact that he hadn't had a great friend for years, and he had never had a friend like Djemba. He just wasn't sure how to react to her affection was all.

When Djemba said that she didn't need help, Blueblaze headed back to the table behind Djemba's keyboard. He decided against creating any more music off the top of his head; Blue figured he'd just make a fool of himself. He set the keyboard gently on the floor next to him. The colt tried to think of some questions to ask Djemba, to get to know her better. "So... how long has the band been together, Djemb?" he asked.

{{OOC: If you didn't know, I took over Djemba for Ruqyo}}

Djemba poured the assortment of ingredients into the pot, and set the stove to slowly boil the mixture. She then took a wooden spoon and began to stir, making sure that nothing stuck to the sides and bottom. She didn't look up when Blueblaze asked her a question, as she was focused on the concoction in front of her. However, she smiled, and replied, "Ah, a couple of years now. I joined the Savage Stallions just as I became a mare, and have been playing with them ever since." She glanced at Blueblaze, happy to be talking about a subject so near to her heart. "It's a lot of fun, actually. I've always loved music, and I get to live my dream of being in a band."

The oatmeal began to bubble, and the brown sugar started to crystalize and melt into the gooey meal. Djemba couldn't wait to eat, but she knew that it would take a bit longer for the oatmeal to be done. "What about you, Blaze? What got you into the piano?"

Blueblaze chuckled at Djemba's response, and smiled joyfully. "Yeah, it's always nice to live the dream..." he agreed. He had a somewhat affectionate tone in his voice as he responded.

The colt smiled wide at Djemba's question; he was certainly going to have fun answering this one. "Okay, here goes… My father taught me how to play, but I didn't really get into it until I went to a concert. You see, it was the last day of flight camp for the summer. The counselors wanted to do something special for us, and they were lucky enough to find the some of the best musicians Canterlot had to offer. I'll admit, I wasn't really a fan of most of them. But headlining the show was none other..." Blueblaze paused for dramatic effect. "... than Billy Foal!"

"It was amazing, I-I couldn't help but dance along the whole time! Although many of the ponies there were rather annoyed me... They said 'sit your tail down!' and 'let us enjoy the show!' So I did what I was told. I was disappointed, I didn't get to enjoy the show the way I wanted to. All I wanted to do was have fun, and nopony would let me..."

"But then, I couldn't believe it- Billy had noticed my erratic behavior, and called me up on stage! He asked me if I had any experience with the piano, and of course I said yes. I had only just started a couple months before then, so I was nervous that I was going to mess up. But I wanted to show Mr. Foal and the flight camp fillies what I was made of! And so I began to play, and well... I missed a few notes. By a few, I mean more than a few. Er... a lot. Hehe, anyways... I was sweating like crazy, much like yesterday. There were muffled insults coming from the crowd, and I was just about to give up..."

"But before I could leave, Billy trotted right up beside me and sat right next to me on the bench! And he said 'Look, little one. Music isn't just something to play, it's something you feel. What is it that you feel?' And I replied, 'I feel... nervous, b-but excited at the same time. I don't know how to play that though…' And he said, 'But of course you do! Here, I'll help ya out…' So he began to play on the lower keys. And seeing the look of liveliness in his eyes, and hearing the song of liveliness that he played, it made me feel alive too!'

'So we played, for what seemed like hours. And at the end of the song, the crowd had erupted in cheer! Billy made his way to the front of the stage to take a bow, and all of a sudden I heard one of the ponies in the crowd say, 'Bluey, look! Your flank!' And sure enough, there it was- my cutie mark! And then Billy waved me over, and we took a bow together… I knew that's what I was meant to be, a musician, one who not only plays, but feels. A pony who brings joy through music! And the rest is history!'

Blueblaze stopped, a dreamy look in his eyes. He realized he must have sounded like a giddy little filly to Djemb, but he didn't mind. It was one of the few moments of joy in his childhood, and he held it to his heart as close as he could. 'Pretty cool, huh?' he asked. While he was still grounded, Blue was flapping his wings. He enjoyed sharing that story, especially to Djemba. He knew she was the pony who shared his love for music, and maybe, who shared his love of each other.

{{I love you for the Billy Joel pun :D }}

Djemba couldn't help but get sucked into Blueblaze's story; it showed his real heart, and only seemed to intensify her affection for him. She slowly ended up at the table, with her head resting on her hooves. Her smile also increased, as she could help but feel the infectious joy coming from him fill herself.

She kept this position until he finished, even keeping it afterwrods. Suddenly, however, she realized how silly she looked; at the same time, a particularly large bubble popped in the oatmeal, frightening her. "Oh, the oatmeal must be done!" she started, and quickly headed over to the stove, trying to keep her cool. "But, yeah, that's really cool. Not many ponies can say they've been onstage with a celebrity before."

Taking care of the oatmeal, she poured two large bowls, and set them both on the table, one in front of Blueblaze. "There you go, hope you enjoy it." She then began to tear at her bowl, working hard to satisfy her strong hunger.

Blueblaze was immediately brought back to reality as Djemba placed a bowl of oatmeal in front of him. "Looks great, thanks Djemb," he said with a grin. As soon as Blue took a bite, he smiled happily. "Now that hits the spot! You'd make a great chef. Wait... what if you actually are a chef, like in secret? Are you sure those drumsticks on your cutie mark aren't chopsticks?" he asked, obviously just being silly. "I'm kidding, but... this is really good. It's much tastier than the stuff back home," he said.

Blueblaze chuckled as he watched Djemba going at it with her oatmeal. She must have really worked up an appetite at the concert last night. Of course, Blue was rather hungry himself... but wow, that mare could eat! The colt finished most of his oatmeal, and then nudged his bowl towards the center of the table. "I'm stuffed... don't let me eat another bite!" he exclaimed in a rather dramatic tone.

Djemba looked up, oatmeal dotting her nose. She smiled, wiping it off with no real embarrasment, and replied, "Ha, you wish I was a secret chef. Then I could make you free food all the time. Unfortunately for you," she added, tapping his snout lightly with her hoof, "I'm just a drummer in a rock band."

As they both finished their oatmeal, Djemba sighed with contentment, glad to finally have a full stomach. "Ah, nothing like a good breakfast to start the day!" She then took both of their bowls to the sink, for cleaning up later. "Now," she started, getting a mischievous look on her face, "What's say we get on that 'getting to know each other better', hm?"

"Aww..." Blueblaze said, feigning disappointment. He chuckled as she nudged his nose, and batted at her hoof playfully. When Djemba mentioned getting to know each other better, Blue froze. He just wasn't good at this sort of thing; it made him rather nervous. And with the look the mare had on her face, it didn't make it any easier for Blue. "Thanks for the oatmeal," he mumbled, hoping some sort of question would come to mind. "Socializing isn't exactly my strongsuit, Djemb... sorry," he said softly. "But uhm, maybe if we just took a trot? I'm sure it would clear my head. Oh, and don't forget the instruments," he said with a smile. Music had always put Blueblaze at ease, and it would hopefully make things a little less awkward between both of them.