How many people have you converted?

ZeroHero

The amount of bronies you've made...  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How Many have you Converted?

I've got two "maybes," I guess. My roommate has shown two signs - I heard him watching an FiM video on Youtube a while ago and just yesterday he slipped 10 seconds flat into a conversation with me (of course, I suppose that could mean nothing, lol). Another is an online friend. A couple days ago he was linking me to a bunch of deadpan videos like Llamas with Hats and ASDF so I jokingly said "You like deadpan, eh? Here, have 20 minutes of it," and linked him to the full ep "It's About Time." He goes "WTF is this? I'm gonna kill you for making me watch it" and then "OMG, this song's gonna be stuck in my head now! Can't look away!" I asked him yesterday if he ended up watching it and he said "No, not yet." So yeah, either they don't like it or they do and are just hiding it from the person who showed it to them for some reason, lol.

I have one person who I was talking to in ts that I played League with who I gave some Eurobeat mixes too and she hits me back with discord from thrlivingtombstone. She likes the fan generated content and instead of calling me gay for liking it, since I trashed her in a logical debate, she understands me completely.

I've been thinking about this topic for some time. There are obvious pros and cons to bringing fresh blood into the Herd, the most obvious is that we really enjoy FiM, and want other people to share in our enjoyment too. We have two decades of pony stigma to shove aside, and when you tell people you like pony, their first thought is of everything pony related to G1, G2, and G3, which is a very poor representation of our community and culture.

Is it worth the effort to try to "convert" people that show even a little resistance? I know some of us needed a lot of prodding before we embraced pony (myself included), but how much is too much? Where is the cut off? It's fact that some people will not like FiM, even if it's presented in a fair way that highlights all of the reasons that we enjoy it.

I think its bright, viral nature should do the converting for us -- we should keep representing, watching episodes, and being positive about it, but we shouldn't go crazy or way out of our way to try to bring new fans to the series, especially if some people show no geniune interest in what it's all about -- just out of respect for them, and for our own sanity.

That is why I resort to a logical debate about why I enjoy the show and provide positive evidence about the show to someone who confronts me about the show and starts paraspriting me about it.

I just had somepony say that it is apparently only popular with older boys and young adult males because they have Asperger's. I wanted to lay the smack down but I restrained my hoof from delivering a blow of God Hand proportions.

I just had somepony say that it is apparently only popular with older boys and young adult males because they have Asperger's. I wanted to lay the smack down but I restrained my hoof from delivering a blow of God Hand proportions.

That's a pretty ignorant thing for them to say. For shame.

This guy is a veteran in the Mature Discussion sub forum at SFC. I don't argue with him cause I'll lose hands down. Not to mention he's probably seen those YouTube videos of the one kid who to them sounds mentally disabled playing with the happy meal toys.

This other guy who likes MLP and I got our friend to watch it. We were on a school trip to a theme park, and ponies kept coming up in conversation when we were waiting in line and walking around and such. I think all the references made him curious enough to give it a shot.

I tried to get my best friend to watch it by showing her the first episode, but she's not really the type of person to like a show like FiM, so I dropped it with her.