A series of images as I learn to draw ponies from no prior experience

CrossStitch

So, as the title implies; I have no prior art experience be it professional or as a hobby. But that hasn't stopped me from trying to learn. Here I will be posting images as I gradually learn more and more about drawing. I ask, nay, BEG that you brilliant artists out there give me some tips. I can take harsh criticism, so please tell me your honest opinions.

Well... Without further adieu:

Some tips my teachers basically hammered into my head.

1. Draw spheres, not circles. You want to have a sense of depth. ;-)

2. Draw through. The eyes, the mouth, the mane, the body - everything. It allows you to understand how everything goes together. This applies for basically all the things in a drawing. :20:

3. Draw from the shoulder as often as possible, and draw smooth single (or as little as possible) lines - not just for the clean feel, but because it shows the strength of your pose easier. "Feathering" multiple lines on the same areas creates an "illusion" of what your intent was, which comes back to bite you if you try to make a clean version afterwards, since you won't be able to tell how it's supposed to go perfectly. :smug:

4. Check your reference to make sure you're getting proportions right - assuming you're going for the show's style. But even then, checking the reference of the original model build of the characters you're drawing is important. :-(

5. Do NOT try to recreate poses from the show/professional fanart - you're undoubtedly going to make a weaker pose and drawing overall, and at best, you'll just have a drawing that's already been done. This isn't because of skill or experience, it's just something that happens. :-|

6. Keep It Simple and know your limits. Drawing is all about practice, practice, practice. Despite all I've said, JUST GET IT DONE, it's all a learning experience, and it takes a lot of time to be able to apply all the rules. :twisted:

At your current level, your drawings show some decent understanding, especially from someone who has never drawn before. :smirk:

There's a lot more to know, but I'd have to start pulling out some of my animation books for that. :blush:

Sorry, but I don't exactly follow.

Could you elaborate a bit more on this point?

Take a look at your Rainbow Dash drawing. See the mane ("hair"), and how it passes behind the ear? You drew the crest (hair behind the neck) and the forelock (the "head's hair") as 2 different pieces, but they are actually supposed to be connected as one. When drawing the mane up to the ear, continue to the other section with a smooth, pale (but visible) line that connects the two together, and you'll draw and see the mane as a single connected piece that is merely partially obstructed by the ear as opposed to 2 different parts that are not connected at all.

Now you should apply this to everything that gets obstructed.

The nose obstructs the eye? Draw through to make sure it is the right shape.

Those legs on the other side? Draw through to make sure they're actually connected to the body properly.

Heck, that second ear we usually can't see on the ponies? Draw it. It's important to know where every part of the character is, even the parts that are completely obstructed.

The more guesses you do, the weaker your drawing becomes.

Remember that these rules are only for making your drawings better. They should not obstruct you from actually finishing them.

hi hi

I'm not sure what advice I can give, but keep practicing never hurts, and it doesn't have to be anything in particular. Sometimes it helps to just practice making lines, curves and simple shapes. Get used to the feeling of making one solid line instead of a bunch of little marks that turn into a line eventually. Loosen up those joints and experiment with different kinds of marks on the paper.

hi hi

I'm not sure what advice I can give, but keep practicing never hurts, and it doesn't have to be anything in particular. Sometimes it helps to just practice making lines, curves and simple shapes. Get used to the feeling of making one solid line instead of a bunch of little marks that turn into a line eventually. Loosen up those joints and experiment with different kinds of marks on the paper.

Thanks, Mint. I tried to do that on this next drawing I just did. I still feathered a bit in places though...

0Cm8E.jpg

Hey ^^ Nice drawings

I can't draw anything in a different pose for the life of me, but I guess I can give some small advice. :smirk:

In terms of proportions, try to compare the sizes of certain parts of the body with other parts. For example, the eye is 2/3 the size of the ear (or anything similar to that).

Then again, I usually draw poses from the show, so this may or may not apply to you free handing your own ponies.

5. Do NOT try to recreate poses from the show/professional fanart - you're undoubtedly going to make a weaker pose and drawing overall, and at best, you'll just have a drawing that's already been done. This isn't because of skill or experience, it's just something that happens. :-|

:scream: you're entirely right

hi hi

I dunno. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing master studies, still-lifes and things like that when you're just trying to practice and get better. If you're making an original piece of your own for an audience, then yeah, you probably shouldn't be trying to recreate something that already exists. But having reference material can be a bit help when studying.