Ponies & Dragons - Episode 1: A Tail of Two Cities

Starburst

With bags and scrolls tucked safely away in packs, Bramble considered the night over Canterlot. Part of him wanted to take off right now, hurry into the breach, search out the fiend and find out just what he was up to ... watch every caravan till they could find what it was that the mage was looking for, scout every square foot of the territory.

Yet, they could not leave as night was falling. They needed a good night's sleep - especially Curtain, who Bramble was worried about. He had gotten nearly no sleep the night before, after all. It had been a busy day - a busy two days, that seemed like much longer. Regretfully, he concluded it was time to turn in. [colour=#696969]"I am pleased at the progress we made today, my friends, and though Luna's night is early, it is time to seek our beds. Take advantage of the peace she brings for us, and I think we shall not need a watch tonight - Curtain, I especially do not wish thee to take a shift. We shall be dependent upon thy skills on the morn, to seek our foe, and we need thy mind sharp and they body refreshed."[/colour]

He gave a small smile to Curtain, at those words, then turned the smile to Ali. [colour=#696969]"And if you need a place to lay thy head, let me offer my mother's home to thee as well. We always have a gladful heart to provide for friends."[/colour]

Bramble took a deep breath and let it out slowly and with relish, as if expelling all doubts and stresses along with it. [colour=#696969]"Tomorrow morn, as Celestia blesses us with the dawn, we should be ready to leave. But that does not mean we cannot take a route home past some lovely sights."[/colour]

Bramble led the group along, through Founder's Square, where six statues formed a lovely fountain depicting the founding of Equestria by those six goddesses, and passing on by the Canterlot Gardens - though it was nighttime and the gardens closed, the Glowbud vines decorating the brick walls glowed their soft and natural light with hundreds of tiny little glowing blossoms, casting a soft blue and purple glow over the street, and the Campflowers blazed their flames at each corner, the flaming blossoms casting a brighter yellow glow over the intersection. He was able to pass by on the arching Watcher's Bridge early enough that he could stop, and wait only a minute or so before they could lean over the edge and watch the changing of the guard at the gates below, with all the dressage thereof - another dozen or so young mares and stallions looking avidly on with the small group, either enjoying the show as the handsome and lovely guardstallions and guardmares marched in precission, or with a wistful air as if dreaming themself down amongst the ranks.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be on the receiving end of faith is not something Curtain Call is accustomed to. For a moment, he assumed he misheard his leader due to... oh, right. Lack of sleep, just as Bramble has said. So that means genuine concern for his well-being as well. Drat. The thought of coming forward was really burning into him now. To tell them something, anything, if not everything. The filthy liar clicked his heels together three times as per instruction to watch the spring-loaded knifes reveal themselves. He stared into the polished blades for a second or two and their reflection of Luna's night sky before returning them to hiding and running to catch up with his group. Cowardly, he said nothing to Bramble but "[colour=#006400]Thank you[/colour]".

Instead, he decided to keep his spirits high and, for once, enjoy the wonderful scenery.

[colour=#0000ff]"Thanks, Bramble. I'll take you up on that offer." [/colour]Ali flies alongside them a few feet off the ground as usual, always being more comfortable in the air than four hooves on the ground. She watches the changing of the guard with fascination, reminded of some of the rituals at the monastery.

Bramble Rose was one of those looking wistfully upon the guard, but he already knew it was a lost cause - he didn't meet up to the minimum height requirements. As the complicated little maneuvers were completed, he let out a soft sigh ... then shook himself and drew himself up. [colour=#808080]"Well, almost home, then,"[/colour] he said cheerfully. He led them on down the bridge and through a series of ever-more-prosperous neighborhoods, till they walked past the old, western section of the city, and its mix of old, small mansions and the newer, larger ones, stopping finally before the old, small mansion that was his dam's, decorated with its simply decorated, but exceptionally masterwork furnishings.

He led them up the front walk and bowed his friends inside. [colour=#808080]"My home is your home, for the night,"[/colour] he said cheerfully, trying to dispel the chill as he remembered yesterday's similar invitation.

"[colour=#006400]Don't be such an alarmist, Ironmane. I'm supposed to be the cynical one[/colour]." Curtain Call, with heavy eyes and a wobble to his step, let out a long drawn out yawn to illustrate his complete lack of paranoia at this precise moment. Nothing to worry about except a good night's rest, he wanted to show, despite a pair of contrary factors. The first being the haunting echoes his call for bedtime caused, ruining what could have been a relaxed atmosphere. Now it was just spooky. The second being the little snake being his typical lying self, having clicked his heels thrice before entering Bramble's abode. Certainly Curtain Call was confident of the sweep of evil performed during his last visit was a successful one, having cleaned out every last nook and cranny of things known for nocturnal bumping. So, while he was tired, he was certainly not stupid. Fool me once, etc.

Graciously he bowed to the maid, who insisted on taking his hat and bags without warning, her eyes wide and sparkling and full of what Curtain Call assumed to be hero worship. Odd, when he remembered the rescue in question involved socking her in the face. Looks like she got over it. Keeping a lantern dim, she lead him to one of three bed chambers she had prepared earlier that day, assuming the party's return for another stay.

The rogue could not help but check under the bed once, but that was all. There was hay to hit.

The night passes in typical manner, no malevolent forces are within the range of the manse and the moon rolls overhead uneventfully as the night ends and the sun rises.

During the Breaking Dawn a rooster crows in the distance to signal the early morning and let sleepy ponies know the night is at its end. The market district rises from its slumber and begins another day of trading and bartering. Soon the loud voices of merchants rise above the hustle and bustle of the crowd, sellswords and all roam the markets in search of a good deal and an even better meal. Heated negotiations abound and gold pieces trade hooves until the afternoon when the group wakes up.

The exhaustion of the prior day now rinsed from the limbs of the group they can continue on their god-ordained quest. Celestia's will be done.

They would this evening travel to the lair of the insidious mage who played an entire town against them, forcing innocents ( or mostly innocents rather ) to be bloodied by righteous knives and cutlery.

Their destination was the aforementioned town. To find clues on the mages whereabouts they had to seek out the town and find out more about this dastardly diabolist.

Little did they know their transportation had already been arranged by an otherworldly pony of many talents, hired by none other than the matron of the quest herself.

Outside the mansion a carriage awaited, bound to the carriage were five sinister looking wolves with coats as black as pitch. They made no sounds and their ivory teeth glowed in the afternoon sunlight.

Sitting at the helm of the carriage was a stallion wrapped from head to toe in bandages. His entire body was covered by them, the bandages soiled with the dirt of ages long past.

His eyes glowed a creepy white, lacking their pupils. He made little noise but the message was clear. He would bring you to your destination.

Bramble had woken up after a good night's rest, eaten a hearty breakfast of clover muffins and alfalfa scramble, and checked over his cart and its makeshift portable alchemy lab to make sure everything was ready to go, buffing the metal clasps on the shields surrounding it, and cleaning off the crests on those shields marking all the places he'd so far visited. He sure wanted to make a good impression on his team-mates, especially the new pegasus mare who'd never seen it before. Once more, he was wearing his changable armor, once more in the guise of his dusty traveler guise, as he shrugged into its harness and pulled it out of the stables, heading for the front gate. He stopped short when he saw the strange pony with the strange wagon, standing out front of the gate, waiting for them.

His cart suddenly seemed much less impressive.

[colour=#808080]"No," [/colour]he said softly to Ironmane, shrugging out of the harness once more. [colour=#808080]"I can't say as I've ever met this gentlepony before. Come, let's see if all is well."[/colour]

He stepped forward, head lifted, tossing his long mane.

[colour=#808080]"Good morrow, Sir!"[/colour] he said brightly, swallowing just a little nervously. [colour=#808080]"Can we assist you?"[/colour]

Upon closer inspection, the side of the carriage was emblazoned with the symbol of the princess of the moon.

The caravan is ephemeral in one aspect, and appears to be fashioned out of black smoke. However, it is quite solid, and will quite easily maintain itself if someone were to say... climb inside and take a ride..

The pony riding it can say little, his mouth has been sown shut with glistening white threads of some sort.

The wolves seem rather impatient, slobber pools on the ground from waiting for extended periods of time.

Bramble Rose pursed his lips as he noticed the sigil of the Princess of the Night, letting out a low breath of appreciation. His emotions were torn - on one hoof, this carriage was darned creepy. He was brought to mind of death's carriage that came for those that heard the Banshee's terrible wail. In fact, he was brought all too closely to mind of that carriage...

But on the other hoof, to have the princesses send a carriage just for them! It was ... awe-inspiring!

But on the third hoof, to have to leave his own cart and all its useful gear behind...

But on the fourth hoof, the princesses must know what they were doing.

And on the fifth hoof ...

He sighed, and nodded solemnly to the carriage pony. [colour=#808080]"One moment,"[/colour] he said respectfully, and ducked into the back of his cart. Swiftly he retrieved his little portable kit, his vials, his saddlebags full of gear, and he stuffed into them, extra, the magic cuffs and the scrolls and potions of dimensional anchor that they had retrieved just last night. He stepped back out, trusting to the groundskeeper to take care of his cart, and not wanting to make this royal messenger wait, he stepped up to the carriage. [colour=#808080] "We'll have to stop just outside of the city to pick up our fifth member,"[/colour] he told their driver, and stepped into the deathly carriage.

Curtain Call is not a morning pony. Typically, his nights are long and rarely does he get up with Celestria's gift or the rooster's crow. Or, in today's case, the gentle coaxings of two Unicorns. The brute force flapping of Pegasus wings is what did the trick, as it's difficult to catch any Zs with gale force wind in one's face.

"[colour=#006400]Thanks for the sour persimmons, cousin[/colour]", he grumped while dragging his hooves out to greet the day. When in view of the grim carriage before him, he assumed sleep walking. It was the only proper explanation for horrors from beyond the moon. After a moment, his eyes cleared and simply 'from the moon' was the more accurate phrase. Missions related so not a dream, he realized. He climbed aboard without hesitation, too groggy to properly react to weirdness. In fact, once seated and comfortable, he began nodding off again.

Ali groggily joins the others outside the house. She slept all night, but her dreams were more invasive than usual - Hurricane was very pleased with the new direction her life is taking.

[colour=#0000ff]"Morning," [/colour]she mutters, chased by a yawn. [colour=#0000ff]"Whoa, what's all this?"[/colour] she stammers, seeing the carriage.

((Full night of sleep, recharge all spells, keeping the same ones I already have, not changing them.))

[colour=#0000ff]"Morning," [/colour]she mutters, chased by a yawn. [colour=#0000ff]"Whoa, what's all this?"[/colour] she stammers, seeing the carriage.

"[colour=#800080]It would appear Princess Luna has blessed us by personally arranging our transportation, T. Ali.[/colour]" She indicated the open door of the carriage. "[colour=#800080]After you.[/colour]"

T. Ali steps into the carriage along with Ironmane and the door closes behind them. It stops outside so that Thorn blossom can ride along as well.

After a bit of time figuring out the seating arrangement when including a large timberwolf the carriage begins moving again. After an hour of travel it begins getting snowy outside and the carriage slows down to a quarter of its speed.

Bramble works to ease Timber Wolf into the carriage, and to keep her calm as it travels, the Timber Wolf never very comfortable inside closed spaces like this - not that she has a problem with caves or tunnels, but this carriage feels entirely too much like a *cage* to her... and to travel without using one's own feet? Unthinkable! But Bramble perserveres, with tender care for his longtime friend, stroking her thorny hide and smiling into her massively sharp-toothed face with familial affection.

What attention he has left, since they've already done all they can for planning, he directs instead towards trying to get to know his new friends, Curtain Call and T. Ali, asking them small, leading questions designed to draw them out and tell about their previous lives, without being too pushy - or even too obvious. One of those little tricks his dam had taught him when he was barely knee-high to her.

But as they near their destination, he looks out the window a little bit concerned. [colour=#800080]"Oh dear,"[/colour] he says, [colour=#800080]"I'd have packed some warmer gear if I had known we were going to be heading this far north."[/colour] Though obviously his concern is for others than for himself, as almost unconsciously, he triggers his glamoured armor to reshape itself into a fur cloak, thick and lush and warm about his slight form. Though it is warm inside the carriage, he shivers just looking outside. The little unicorn does not retain body heat well...

[colour=#800080]"I'd guess,"[/colour] he says in response to Ironmane's question,[colour=#800080] "That our first and last stop is probably going to be the village that our erstwhile ex-bandits came from ... so this is something of a new situation for us. Our plans are subtly shifted... if I'm right, we might hope that our carriage stops outside of view of the village, so that we can trek in after only couple mile's walk... just far enough to give us that weary, snowed-on look as we trudge in, and not let them know we come in such a conveyance... though perhaps Her Highness of the Night has different ideas. We'll have to trust to her foreseeing. If we show up in the town ... I suppose we bring glad tidings to them, of the benevolance of the divine sisters. And if I am completely wrong about where we are going, we'll have to wing it, and depend upon our theatrical friend."[/colour] He smiles to Curtain Call.

(( While travelling, once he notices they're going into frozen northland areas... he's going to meditate to give up 'Wood Shape' in favour of 'Endure Elements - Communal' - first priority. If he still has time after that, he's going to give up 'Goodberry' in favour of 'Feather Step.')

The way Curtain Call has chosen to live up until now has afforded him a few very particular set of skills. One of them being the ability to sleep through anything short the storming of a castle. Violent rain, bar room brawls, the storming of castles, that sort of thing. This was the healthier alternative to insomnia. So something like four ponies and a timberwolf crammed into a three seat carriage barely registered for him, though the background chatter between his comrades bled in and led to some peculiar dreamings. Worse once a chill began to seep inside the carriage doors. Then the jerk started to stir, blooming light from fallen snow too much for his eyes.

"[colour=#006400]We've been riding for three months, haven't we[/colour]", he grumbled, reaching to scratch the crust from his eyes and managing to bump into the bumpy hide of a very grumpy Thorn Blossom. He immediately kept all hooves to himself afterwards.

Bramble's little scheme had some cleverness to it. He was more than happy to put his trust in that rather than the machinations of an out of touch immortal. Though, he couldn't help but find some holes, as well as the means to fill them.

"[colour=#006400]I think the two of us in this carriage affiliated with a church should do well to keep that hidden. Keep the holy symbols and the[/colour] '[colour=#800080]By the power of Platinum's polished purple parure, I punish thee![/colour]'[colour=#006400] to yourselves. It may advertize the fact that we're... basically authority figures, which will repel lowlifes rather than attract them. Oh, we should bring glad tidings, yes. But a low profile is key. We'll be among strangers who could turn on us very quickly.[/colour]"

Bramble pondered that a moment ... [colour=#800080]"I'm not sure we need to depend on low-lifes, though I catch your drift. But remember, if we're going where I think we're going ... we are probably ending up with the family of all the unwilling brigands. Unwilling being the key word. They probably haven't heard from their families in months ... being authorities bringing good news of their family's health, well-being, and freedom from the mage would be ... welcomed, I'd think? And being responsible for the well-being of their families should buy quite a bit of loyalty, would it not? I can't imagine that family is less important out here, or anywhere. And it could bring us quite a deal more information and cooperation."[/colour]

He gestured a quite small 'please confirm or deny?' gesture to Curtain Call, definitely wanting some collaboration on this change in their plans.

"[colour=#006400]Keep the holy symbols and the[/colour] '[colour=#800080]By the power of Platinum's polished purple parure, I punish thee![/colour]'[colour=#006400] to yourselves.[/colour]"

Ironmane giggled, covering her mouth with one hoof. "[colour=#800080]That is a delightful impression, Curtain Call. Perhaps more importantly, an excellent point. I agree with you and Bramble Rose. I feel bringing good news to the families, quietly, and asking for their assistance in bringing those ultimately responsible to justice is a wise course of action. Perhaps the two of you could move into town, unobserved, and determine which families we should speak to?[/colour]

"[colour=#800080]T. Ali, how could we best use aerial support in the early stages of our endeavour?"[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Since so much of our plans hinge upon where this...comfortable..." [/colour]she winces, [colour=#0000ff]"carriage is taking us, how about I go ahead and take a peek-see?"[/colour] Ali does follow Curtain Call's advice though and stows her silver necklace for the time being. She then fans out a wing in front of the carriage door to block her companions from the wind as she opens the door and flies out, shutting it quickly behind her. She flies up a considerable distance, then looks around for anything interesting within eyesight.

((Roll for Perception?))

Bramble's words felt like a good swift kick to the chest for a multitude of reasons Curtains didn't want to think about at the moment. It's a diplomatic mission, he told himself, not a blasted assassination.

"[colour=#006400]No, you're absolutely right. My fault for being a paranoid mess sometimes. We'll head in and find the families and make them the same offer we gave the last batch. With any luck, nothing terrible will happen and we won't have to fight our way out of a frozen wasteland. Though I do like the idea of a smaller party scouting ahead to-[/colour]"

And then he was interrupted by action, the little bluebird launching herself from the carriage straight up. He's seen arrows fly less true.

"[colour=#006400]Are all Pegasi like that or is she special?[/colour]"

Ali was gone before any could react nor gainsay her, and Bramble just hoped that this carriage wasn't moving so fast that she couldn't catch up with it again. He thought carefully some more at Iron Mane's suggestion, leaning into his longtime friend Blossom almost casually, the petite unicorn seeming to find the rough, thorny hide comfortable. Still trying to keep the jittery timberwolf calm, his hoof stroked over that thorny side as if through the softest of fur - though, if one were to note the small details, one would actually see the thorns bending smoothly out of his way as his hoof stroked across them, as if they were no more stiff nor sharp than flower petals.

[colour=#800080]"Not a bad idea,"[/colour] he said to Iron Mane. [colour=#800080]"Though the main problem being, of course, that if we're going where I think we are, it's going to be a tiny little town ... it would be hard to keep separate."[/colour] He smiled to Curtain Call. [colour=#800080]"And my friend, please, *please* don't apologize for being cautious. Caution is a virtue I much value in my allies - especially the one we seem most to depend upon for our security. I would rather bring up these things and talk about them, and *perhaps* dismiss them ... than to have no one think of them at all. I had not thought of that, personally... and if we were approaching a city of any size, where strangers were not highly obvious, I'd actually take Hurricane's suggestion and try to have you, or you and me, approach from a different direction, so that we seemed two different groups, and you or we could back up the more diplomatic party a little more privately."[/colour]

Archived