Ponies & Dragons - Episode 1: A Tail of Two Cities

Starburst

Ever the opportunist, Curtain Call scooted from his seat to the empty space that Tornado (it had to be her name) Ali once occupied. It was no coincidence at all that he was now sitting no longer against a giant wooden dog monster but rather a giant fluffy Ironmane. The change of scenery (as well as the smell) helped to clear his head. He took one long cleanser of a breath and wiped a little more sleep from his eyes. **** mornings. Or whatever time it was.

"[colour=#006400]So. Common sense time. Yes, this is a diplomatic mission to sway potential criminals back to Celestia's warm blah-blah-blah.[/colour]" Was that heresy in front of the Paladin? "[colour=#006400]But at the same time, some fiend is doing to them the exact opposite. I hate to sound grim, but for some ponies, it may be too late. That's the reality. So I think I should go in first, disguised and looking for work. Give it a moment or two, then follow. All of you. Put up the offer for a new home. Depending on how things go, I'll 'take up the offer' and hopefully break the ice for anyone else there. That's the best I have.[/colour]"

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"[colour=#800080]Oh, show some respect Curtain Call,[/colour]" Ironmane said playfully, and socked the stallion in the shoulder. Gently, for her, but still harder than she meant to. "[colour=#800080]Still, it sounds like a good plan to me. What say you, Bramble Rose[/colour]?"

Bramble Rose let out a soft *hrmmm* [colour=#808080]"It really depends on how large a town this is ... two strangers arriving at the same time might be awfully suspicious if there's a total of a dozen small houses. But if it is a larger village than I expect, then I would very much like to have that sort of backup plan. Also, I don't think we're offering a new home... just letting them know that their loved ones are busily learning new skills at the Princess' benediction, and will be returning to them so as to help their own home grow and prosper."[/colour]

He sighed.

[colour=#808080]"But without knowing where we're going, or anything of that sort, it's so very hard to make a solid plan.[/colour][colour=#800080]"[/colour]

Ali flies up to get a look at the area around the carriage. The scenery around it is blanketed in white miles around. A noticeable wind blows in and chills Ali, blowing snow into her face from the high elevation being out of the range of Bramble's spell of warmth. She also notices that the carriage is faster than she previously thought, and after flying out it begins outdistancing her quite quickly. Inside the carriage when the door is opened the air inside chills to frigid nearly instantaneously, causing the ponies inside to shiver, even through Bramble's magic. Immediately he identifies that the carriage can only protect them from the elements while the door is closed.

Ali flies at top speed towards the carriage and crashes into the small three-pony space abruptly after flying as fast as possible through the snowy air. Her face is covered in snow. One eye is frozen shut from the frenzied flight and she quickly uses what strength she has remaining to wipe the ice and snow away from her vision. Probably wasn't the best idea to fly out of a magically hasted carriage, she thinks immediately after arriving back in the womb of the carriage.

( Posting will resume regularly now. I've moved back from New York to Georgia so I can continue my regular posting schedule of at least once a day / two days. )

"[colour=#006400]And then we all learned something, didn't we! Honestly, Miss Ali...[/colour]", he shouted before trailing off into nonsensical mutterings as he, first: picked himself up off the floor, second: readjusted his hat and third: dug into his disguise kit for an astoundingly well made forgery of a Celestian Cleric's robe. It wasn't the warmest wrapping and was falling apart at some of the seams, but it was certainly better than nothing. Nothing meaning 'soaked to the bone and probably frost bitten'. He held the poor shivering bluebird close, ever the sucker for a mare in distress.

"[colour=#006400]So it looks like we wait for the carriage to stop. Then we plan.[/colour]"

• 3 weeks later...

Ali blushes as Curtain Call wrapped a leg around her, burrowing into his robe just until feeling returned to her limbs. [colour=#0000ff]"Hey, at least I tried to do something. The rest of you could be lambs being led to slaughter for all you know. Still could be, really. Couldn't see anything though, just snow all around. Where ever we are going, it is quite a way yet, but we are moving quickly."[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that is Ironmane's deal. Hurricane and I..."[/colour] Ali stops for a moment to choose her words carefully. [colour=#0000ff]"Let's just say Commander Hurricane strongly insists on what I SHOULD be doing, and sometimes I agree with him."[/colour] She sighs, her nostrils flaring a bit. [colour=#0000ff]"Not like he'll let me forget what HE wants me to do,"[/colour] she mutters under her breath.

There's a large lodge. Most of the buildings are made out of large logs. It's about mid-day, a little after noon. The sky is cloudy. It's very cold outside. There are a few horses stabled outside the largest building, and a trough of water outside that is completely frozen over. You surmise from logic that it's probably the inn. There are a few tracks in the snow leading to the building. You guess there are probably lots of ponies inside. There's smoke coming out of the stone chimney in the largest building. It's probably used as a gathering place.

Most of the logs look new. There are a few decrepit burned buildings further north that look like they were burned to cinders. Most likely the remains of the old village. You can hear faint music coming from the large building. And its so cold outside you doubt anypony would go outside willingly unless to hunt, and only in a full, warm, fur coat.

Curtain Call's first order of business was kicking a wood-monster-dog off his person. His now aching back would be good as new in an hour maybe. The wonderful new smell he discovered in his coat? One bath should do it. Hopefully. But his hat. His poor fancy fedora. He popped it back into shape as best he could, sighing quietly before trying to remember the name of the hat shop back in Canterlot. With any luck they could repair the warp in the fabric. More mourning would come later though. There was business to attend to, considering the cab's screeching halt. He looked at the door reluctantly. It was cold death out there, he knew, thanks to the Pegasus's 'Can-Do Spirit'. There was nothing in his sack to prepare him for winter, though to be fair, he didn't bother to ask, now did he? One more sigh and his hat was back on, ready to have his ears frozen off.

The rogue wished his friends a fond "[colour=#006400]Allons-y[/colour]" and leaped out into the snow, shutting the door behind him and making a dash towards the inn.

Bramble Rose groaned softly, laying atop the pile of wood. He carefuly got himself down off of the jumble of ponies, and then let out a soft *gasp*, pulling his fur cloak tightly around himself as the freezing cold breeze swept in. [colour=#808080]"Yeeaargh... so glad I cast that spell... but it's *still* cold!"[/colour] He gave a last shiver, and then looked over Thorn Blossom. [colour=#808080] "Awww, poor thing"[/colour] he said softly, [colour=#808080]"All right, hold on there... "[/colour]

Slowly, Thorn Blossom was putting herself back together, and Bramble tried to help. [colour=#808080]"OK, here's your leg ... no, wait, I think your jaw is on backwards... Ironmane, could you move? I think you're sitting on - ah, thank you. Here, Thorn, let me ... yes, like that. Was your tail always - Oh, I'm standing on it! Here you go. No, now you're lopsided... try putting this one here... and that one there... there you are!"[/colour]

He nodded in satisfaction as she was finally back in one piece, and looked out the window at the town they were in ... truly little more than a one-horse town, if you blinked while galloping through it you might not notice you'd been in town! He wondered how Curtain Call was going to pretend that he just happened to arrive at exactly the same time as they did ... couldn't get many strangers out this way. Ah, well, he'd have to trust to Curtain's acting skills!

[colour=#808080]"All right, everyone."[/colour] He pulled out a mirror and brush, floating them before him while making sure his hair was in place. [colour=#808080] "We're representing the princesses... best hoof forward!" [/colour] He took another deep breath, paused at the door... steeling himself... he had magical protection. The cold was an illusion ... they were all going to be just fine. Perfectly comfortable. He pushed the door open... [colour=#808080]"LUNA that's cold!"[/colour] He hurried outside and across towards the inn, his telekinetic touch clutching the thick furred cloak around him, Thorn Blossom following close behind, not liking the cold weather any better than Bramble.

[colour=#0000ff]"All this hubbub for such a dinky little place...better be worth it." [/colour]Ali huffs as she wiggles her wings a few times to get the blood pumping and minimize the cold. Finally, she takes a deep, warm breath and shoots out of the carriage at near full speed, directly towards the lodge door, zooming over Curtain Call's head and landing smoothly in front of him inside. She shivers from head to toe just once, then feels alright.

The tavern is bustling. There are many people inside, and the doors are sealed so its nice and warm. Someone makes it a point to close the doors once you all come inside. For a moment, all attention in the Tavern turns to the group. They don't get many visitors around here. The last time an evil wizard burned down their village.

Method acting is any of a family of techniques used by actors to create in themselves the thoughts and emotions of their characters, so as to develop lifelike performances. "What would motivate me, the actor, to behave in the way the character does?", Curtain Call's father would ask of him. This first popped up when he was just a child, just a stage hand, so of course there was no answer yet. But it was a mystery that stuck with the Earth pony, even as he wandered into a career significantly less like show business. Under the banner of method acting, Curtain Call would convince guards he was ill by letting his rations go a 'little sour' before eating them. He would antagonize those bigger than him, let the snot get beat out of him, then mooch off the sympathies of the church.

In this case, he needed to prove to any onlookers inside that he was not with the party about to march in there. So, method acting told him to simply wait outside in the death of winter. And wait. And wait. How long? So as to not arouse suspicion, he figured he would count to one hundred and twenty. The problem is, the bitter cold did something to his brain and he got stuck counting in reverse a few times. Five minutes passed instead of two. His strength sapped. His fur frozen. One last reserve later, he threw himself against the door, collapsing in an icy heap.

Curtain Call is the type to gnaw his own leg off to escape from a trap. Curtain Call is not a clever pony.

Bramble took a deep breath, as he stepped inside, hardly noticing Curtain Call falling behind. He wasn't worried, though - Curtain was protected by his magic, as were they all, so while it might be terribly uncomfortable outside, he wasn't going to get hurt by the weather. (honestly, is anyone going to remember that I cast a spell on you all against the cold?)

He stepped forward with Thorn Blossom close at his side, looming over him like the guard she was. [colour=#808080] "Good day, gentleponies! I bear a message on behalf of Frozen Steppes, Icy Sheen, Summer Wind, "[/colour] he went on and on, reciting all the names of the ex-bandits he could think of. And when he finished, he took in a deep breath, and let it out. [colour=#808080]"And most of the rest of their group. Have I arrived in the right place?"[/colour]

( I assume we'll RP a little bit of time till Curtain rejoins us... )

Upon hearing the names of their comrades, they turn to each other and start mumbling to each other. They hadn't heard hide nor hair of the missing ponies since the wizard took them from the village. This instance was no exception. A terrified bar-maid-pony walks up to bramble, asking in a fearful, shuddering voice if he would like anything to eat or drink, or if he'd like lodgings for the evening. It was clear that she was disoriented from having to speak with someone that could be associated with an evil wizard, but she did at least have her looks going for her. Pretty blue eyes and a long blonde mane curled up into drills ending just above her legs. Her coat was a nice sky blue as well that complimented her eyes quite nicely.

Bramble Rose gave a soft, reassuring smile, and lifted one hoof to pat Thorn Blossom's side, urging her to lay down so she wasn't /quite/ so looming. [colour=#808080]"We have had a long journey, and we would indeed like to pay for food and drink, and lodgings for the night,"[/colour] he said, using his mother's tricks for making ponies feel comfortable - the subtle tricks of body language, careful use of words. [colour=#808080]"But first, my message. I can only assume from all your expressions that this is, indeed, the right place. Your friends and families have found new employment, learning trades in Canterlot to bring back here to their home, and will be gone for some time more. They miss you, and continue to work for your benefit, and you all are foremost on their minds. Their new jobs are much less dangerous than their previous ones, under their previous employer."[/colour]

Then he capitalized slightly on their nervousness as he let an edged grin slip over his muzzle. [colour=#808080]"The Princesses Celestia and Luna have personally asked us to get ahold of their previous employer, so they can ... discuss ... his rather unusual methods of gaining their employment, and make sure it never happens again."[/colour] He let his hoof rest a little heavier on Thorn Blossom's side, and she followed his cue, giving a low, sharp-toothed growl of agreement, lending her more obvious strength to Bramble's slightly less obvious threat, giving that little bit more credence to the concept that the dark mage was no match for those that the Princesses had chosen for this quest.

[colour=#808080]"It is to that end that we are following his trail, and seeking information. As a personal interest, we would also like to make sure that the familes of our new friends in Canterlot would find themselves comfortable and safe while waiting a short time longer for their return."[/colour]

Feeling more than a little grumpy, Curtain Call violently shook the extra weight of snow from his person. Now that the warmth of the hearth could finally sink in, he could focus on more important things. Like, for instance, how these @#$%&ing ponies he's been associating with have been throwing every single one of his usual tactics out the window. While smacking the snow off his hat before water damage could seep in, he considered how his typical fare of lying, cheating, stealing, etc. have, for the most part, kept him safe. Now look what's been happening! There's no ambush! No sword dangling over his head! Instead, a... welcome mat. The paranoia feels out of place, all of a sudden. And its making him feel crumby. Clearly, there's only one explanation.

Discord.

Hiding was pointless. Freezing himself was pointless. And upon hearing Bramble's very hot-blooded (for him) boast, not standing with the team was pointless as well. He trotted over to his tiny purple leader, giving him a nudge, a smile and a wink, which was the best way possible to show pride in the little unicorn. Also, to not seem weird, he gave a respectful bow to his hostess.

Wow, she was pretty.

The girl runs off an speaks to the innkeeper. The innkeeper comes back with her.

"She told us that you have news of our kin. Please have a seat and tell me all that has happened." he says.

The girl comes back with three five chilled glasses of fresh ale.

Curtain Call, having spent the most time out in a frozen wasteland, was the quickest to accept the hospitality. In a flash, he was in a seat with flagon in hoof, downing the ale in one long chug. "[colour=#006400]Oh blessed relief[/colour]", he prayed, feeling warmer and more vibrant already. Another word of gratitude to the hostess (as well as a wink), all the while holding back a belch. Manners, and all that.

"[colour=#006400]In short[/colour]", he answered the innkeeper now refreshed, "[colour=#006400]we were hired to investigate a series of caravan robberies. In the thick of things, we discovered a wizard with... bizarre powers that aided his escape. So that bit is ongoing. Meanwhile, the small militia he lead, as it turns out, were the loved ones of all of you. The Princesses have offered you all amnesty. Any information you have towards your former master would be helpful as well. And here we are. I'll leave the details to my fearless leader.[/colour]"

In the meanwhile, he contemplated 'borrowing' the frothy mugs of Ironmane and Miss Ali under the logic that stuffy religions forbid these kinds of spirits.

Ali listens intently, since she only has brief knowledge of why they were really there.

[colour=#0000ff]"Hey!" [/colour]Ali hisses at Curtain Call under her breath as she sees him eyeing her mug and snatches it up, taking a long drag off it. She shivers just slightly in delight as the suds make their way down to her belly. [colour=#0000ff]"Thank you," [/colour]she says politely to the maiden.

Archived