Ponies & Dragons - Episode 1: A Tail of Two Cities

Starburst

Bramble Rose crept through the forest, walking through snow that came up to his knee without smudging the snow at all, leaving it pristine behind him. That didn't make it *easy* to move through such deep snow, though, and he was panting a bit... he never really wandered up this way much. He hated snow, hated the cold, and was working really hard to keep an upbeat attitude throughout it all...

Still, he was kinda proud of his abilities. He glanced back at the pristine wilderness behind him, marked only with the trails of little foxes and bunnies, and not with his own form leaving a plowed path. Though Blossom, of course, had her great pawprints - those were still a natural creature, and no pony-made trail. He hadn't really found any major dangers yet, though these animals frozen in huge blocks of ice were kinda creepy ... he wondered exactly what kind of weather-

Wait... was that Ironmane, not far off that way, crashing noisily through the undergrowth and snow? What had her moving so rapidly? And what was that appalling cry of pain? Bramble wheeled around and raced through the forest, cutting across unexplored area to head towards the noise Ironmane was making. And angled up over higher ground in the process, avoiding the deeper snow, though risking making himself a target, he trusted to the trees to keep him hidden, despite their lack of proper foliage. He wasn't far away when he heard her declare herself to a foe, birds rising from the trees for a quarter-mile in every direction from the shout. He lowered his head to race all the faster! For her to break stealth, and declare their presence to the whole forest, it must be *really* dire!

[colour=#808080]"I'm coming!"[/colour] he cried in response!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an increasing feeling of dread, of helplessness creeping up on Curtain Call. It snapped at each falling hoof, threatening to keep him from the most peculiar of quarries. Was quarry even the right word? He wasn't hunting, not this time. Near as he can tell, this was the first time he needed to save the target of a hunt. Curtain Call knew his skill set, the tactics and mindset of his chosen profession, the tools on hoof. And he was not equipped for this. Heck, half his bag is knives with the other half being ways to get to use the knives. All the little rat could ever do for the party that didn't involve something sharp is staying quiet and giving them the shirt off his back.

It was when the big red paladin came into view, approaching a very similar meadow, that he lost all appreciation for turn of phrase. The plush winter cloak keeping him warm was off and, quiet as could be, whipped around her head as a gag so the idiotic proclamations would stop and, with all his might, pulled backward as she reared. Now off balance, she fell, kicking but not screaming, and (barely) dragged her back towards covering brush. By Discord she was heavy.

"[colour=#006400]It's me[/colour]", he whispered against the thick wool. He tried to be as loud as he could without gathering attention from deadly lizards. "[colour=#006400]It's Curtain Call. Do not panic. You were walking into a trap. Do you hear me? A. Trap. I will let you go. But you cannot make a sound. No sound. Please. Nod if you understand.[/colour]"

Curtain Call waited, with bated breath and whispering humbleness, his eyes and ears open and waiting for some signal that they were found and would soon be locked away forever in unforgiving ice. He mentally counted to thirty. None came. So, with high hopes and one of his knives drawn, he allowed himself and Ironmane to finally breath. And, once the frigid air filled his lungs, he realized that he was out in the snow with no protection. Machismo dictated that he show not a shiver, and by Discord he was trying. Though, after the Paladin was helped back onto all four hooves, he did hug his cloak a little tighter to himself than before.

"[colour=#006400]I app-ppologize for being so sudden. B-but what you were marching towards d-didn't need saving. A m-monster. It feigns injury, then attacks the unsuspecting with waves of cold.[/colour]"

During the explanation of what he discovered about the creature that was planning to kill them, he spoke with clenched teeth. It was either clenched or chattering, and he picked what seemed least like sissy behavior.

"[colour=#006400]I'm not t-too worried about Miss Ali, but we should make sure Bramble doesn't stumble the same way.[/colour]"

As if on cue, Bramble stumbled out of the far side of the clearing. [colour=#808080]"Ironmane!?"[/colour] he called, [colour=#808080]"Where are you? I can't find you! What's wrong?!"[/colour] His frantic gaze swept around wildly, and the lizard in the center of the clearing re-oriented on the druid. Blossom's massive form simply appeared from behind the slimy, frozen bushes, seeming to be trying to avoid touching any of the rotten and befouled wood in the area. She looked at the wounded lizard, and her little wooden ears perked up eagerly, a leafy tongue licking over nonexistant lips as 'wounded animal' triggered all her hungry instincts.

[colour=#808080]"Oh, hey!"[/colour] Bramble chirped cheerfully, momentarily distracted by his companion's tensing up and gaze. [colour=#808080] "A sculptor lizard!"[/colour] He took a step forward in interest. [colour=#808080]"You don't usually see those by themselves, they're supposed to be a colony species! Well, unless they're feigning injury to draw predators to them." [/colour] He leaned over, and took another step forward, a scholar's fascination on his face. [colour=#808080]"What's wrong, little guy?"[/colour]

No.

It couldn't be.

His ears were sweating filthy liars and that heart of his was having violent spasms over nothing. The sissy. There was, in no conceivable way or shape or form that Bramble Rose was anywhere close by. In the clearing where horrible ice monsters threatened their precious ninety-eight degrees? Preposterous. The fact that he was wordlessly signalling to Ironmane that he would be creeping towards that clearing and she should stay put for the time being? Oh, Curtain Call is such a joker. Knife drawn? What a sense of humor, that stallion. Still, it couldn't hurt to take one itsy bitsy teeny weeny little peek through weather ravaged underbrush. Just to prove to his desperate gasps for air and profuse sweating wrong once and for all. Oh how he would tell this story to Bramble once he finds him. How he got so worked up over nothing.

He circled the patch of forest, looking for a bit of an opening in the bushes. One where he wouldn't be causing any racket from snapping twigs and falling snow. Especially one with no signs of ambush lurking within them. Not that there was an ambush. Or a teammate about to be murdered.

Except there was! Bramble Rose, hopeless and brainless, staring at the creature ready to ice him like it was a mewling lost kitten! If the... sculptor lizard didn't kill him, Curtains sure will! He'll rip the horn right off his head and feed it to him!

Out from the brush the rogue crept, right behind the lizard, signalling Bramble to shush and shoo! His arm-blade at the ready and his teeth clenched to the point of cracking made his intentions very clear.

Bramble blinked as he saw Curtain Call sneak out of the brush, making a gesture for quiet. He nodded. Quiet, he could do quiet. Then ...

um...

Two words... Gesture. Brush? Broom? Heave? No. Sounds like... hoof? He tilted his head to the side.

Geeze, what was with Curtain? It was like he was worried about some ambush...

Oh. Wait.

Bramble looked down at the Sculptor Lizard.

OH.

Bramble gestured to Blossom to step back, and very, very carefully stepped back, himself. The lizard make pleading little noises at him, but he resolutely ignored them ...

Riiiiiight.

Once he was out of the clearing, he made a very wide circle around it to find Curtain and Ironmane. [colour=#808080]"Hi!"[/colour] he whispered eagerly. [colour=#808080]"Isn't that exciting? You rarely get to see a sculptor lizard hunting like that!"[/colour]

"[colour=#006400]Hunting! You! You, in there, being hunted! Killed you the wanted and you it examine have to Bramble thing would stupid![/colour]"

Clearly the stress of the day so far has been rough on poor Curtain Call's nerves. He was on the verge of hyperventilation at this point. Either that or strangling Bramble and burying him in the snow. Once he became aware of his left eye now twitching, he stopped and took one. Long. Deep. Breath. There, much better. The shaking was down to only his front hooves.

"[colour=#006400]Bramble[/colour]", he whispered, much calmer now, "[colour=#006400]You wanted to examine the stupid thing and it would have killed you. Avoid the clearings, please? The terrifying ice monsters congregate there. Is there any other murderous flora or fauna we should know about before continuing?[/colour]" The good news is that he was smiling. The bad news is that is left eye was twitching again.

Ali waits with bated breath as she watches the scene unfold, trying to keep afloat with the tiniest of wing movements, in fear of drawing the lizard's attention to herself. Just as she was about to attempt to enthrall the creature to let her new friend escape, she watches Bramble come to his senses and get out of the line of fire. She exhales sharply in relief and sags down to the ground, landing gently.

[colour=#0000ff]"Remember Steve Equin, the Crocodile Hunter? We all knew that wasn't going to end well. Please be more careful next time you find something fascinating!"[/colour]

She shakes her head and trots over to Ironmane. [colour=#0000ff]"Are you okay? Anything hurt?"[/colour]

Bramble blinked swiftly, taken aback by Curtain's barrage of ... apparently random words ... the main thing he picked up from it being that Curtain had apparently been *really* worried about him. He ducked his head in embarrassment and gave a soft 'ah-heh'... Then straightened up, stepped one step closer to Curtain, and laid his hoof on Curtain's shoulder. [colour=#808080]"Hey, I'm all right, thanks to you, my friend ... I'm sorry to have worried you so. I didn't even know there would be sculptor lizards here - I thought they tended to live further to the Northeast. I have no idea what's living in this ... uh ... [/colour]" he glanced around, trying to find the right word ... then decided to be charitable by calling the rotted out place a [colour=#808080]"forest."[/colour]

He glanced over at Ali with a sheepish grin. [colour=#808080]"And I'l try. I just was surprised to find one, is all. Trust me, I don't usually approach dangerous creatures ... which I suppose, yeah, sculptor lizards qualify as, if they're in a lounge ..."[/colour]

Ironmane rises, brushing some snow from her mane and coat. "[colour=#800080]Quite alright, T. Ali, and thank you very much.[/colour]" she says, her confidence visible returning. Rose-coloured magic glows around her horn and some of the pegasus' ribbons as she readjusts them just so. "[colour=#800080]I am afraid this place has me somewhat out of sorts. I have always been somewhat apprehensive around...[/colour]" she looks around, then leans in to whisper "[colour=#800080]...bugs.[/colour]"

"[colour=#006400]It has always mesmerized me; how the mightiest of mares can turn into mewling kittens by anything that wears its skeleton on the outside. But I digress[/colour]." In Curtain Call's mind, that glorious pedestal in which Ironmane sat has just been shortened by an inch or two. Sure, stereotypes exist for a reason: Unicorns are snobs. Pegasi are brutes. Earth Ponies are numbskulls. But its up to the individual to take upon the task of subverting those tropes! For instance, Curtain Call was proud to say he was only a numbskull... maybe half the time. Three quarters, tops.

But seriously, c'mon, bugs? He could imagine the Paladin knocking down castle walls and not get a single bit of rubble in that perfect coif of hers.

"[colour=#006400]Okay. We're all together again. So, before we head out, let us take a moment to breath and tell each other what we found so far. Ali, what's the news from on high? Bramble, what did your dog sniff out? Ironmane, I think there's something on your shoulder.[/colour]"

(( Bluff is +7. *maniacal laugh* ))

The old pony acting as your guide steps forward. [colour=#008080]"That way, eh? Yer talkin' bout th' Midnight Tower!"[/colour] He pauses a moment or three. [colour=#008080]"Sure y' didn't see anythin' else y'wanna go to?"[/colour] he asks, a little hesitantly, then sighs. [colour=#008080]"Right. That there tower's an old buildin'. If that unicorn's there, he's a tough old coot. 'sposed t'be cursed somethin' fierce. One time me an' my friends went tryin' t'see what was up with that, it was abandoned, but all th' same th' weird ponies made ah ice an' wood did a number on my friend's leg, and left me a pretty scar,"[/colour] He turns to show off a long patch of fur that was growing the opposite way from the fur around it, all down one calf.

Bramble glanced around at his allies. [colour=#808080]"Well,"[/colour] he said,[colour=#808080] "Sounds like we're in for a time of it, but we didn't expect this would be easy. Lead the way."[/colour]

And with that, the guide nods, and starts picking his way up towards a ridge. [colour=#008080]"This way will take us most of the way there, and it's less densely packed. We should be able to see about anything trying to kill us from up that way."[/colour]

Ironmane's eyes go wide, her powerful frame stiff with terror and revulsion. She slowly, slowly turns her head to look at her shoulder and finds...nothing. "[colour=#800080]Hmmph![/colour]" She turns her nose up in the air and prances by Curtain, giving a switch of her hips intended to knock him flat in the snow. "[colour=#800080]Yes, do lead on, gentlecolt.[/colour]"

Maybe Ironmane actually intended to hit him that hard. Maybe the big girl still didn't know her own strength. Either way, her flank felt like a bag of rocks. What a mare. And, while indeed Curtain Call was grateful that he landed in soft and fluffy snow, that wasn't why he was laughing. It was the look on the Paladin's face. Absolutely priceless!

"[colour=#006400]So what was it? Six legs or eight? Ha ha-ow.[/colour]" His grey fur would conceal the bruise she left. Still, totally worth it. "[colour=#006400]Oh come now, Ironmane. Did they not teach you any knock-knock jokes in the monastery? But seriously, yes, lead the way. I especially like the 'see the things trying to kill us' part[/colour]."

The old pony made his careful way along the top of the ridge, pointing out various dangers. [colour=#008080]"Ah, that over there... we blundered right into a group of those bushes, back in th' day. Gave me a nasty burn, when th' seed pods started goin' off. Ah'd show y' th' burn, but it's right around here."[/colour] He taps at a brass plate on his chest.

Bramble's eyes light up. [colour=#808080]"Oh, really?!"[/colour] he said excitedly, and paused in following afterwards, looking avidly over towards the inconspicuous bushes. [colour=#808080]"Ooo... I wonder ..."[/colour] He lingered several long moments, then shook his head quickly and hurried to follow after, his hooves prancing lightly over the top of the snow that everypony else, Blossom included, had to slog through. [colour=#808080]"When we're done,"[/colour] he resolved out loud.

[colour=#008080]"Then o'er there we ran into a patch a' silverbugs. Precious lil' things. But y'don't wanna run into a whole patch a' them... couldn't sit down fer a week!"[/colour]

He kept on the dialog, pointing out all the places he and his friends had run into danger, and proudly showing off his scars whenever he could, till he finally started to shush everyone and admonish them for being too noisy, before creeping forward over the next pair of rises.

He brought everypony up in a small copse of trees, where you can see the scene without leaving an obvious silhouette against the sky. A black tower, looking old and broken, stretched up over the snow and ice, perched atop a cliff face, and with strange brass devices set into what remained of the top of the tower. Around the base, the snow has been trampled down, and braziers crackled merry fire here and there.

Surrounding the trampled area is a half-finished, low wall, obviously the start of some new construction. A number of strange creatures are busy building that wall, slowly and laboriously moving a large block into place. One pony-sized construct with a wooden body, but eight long, skinny legs made of brass, is surrounded by eight smaller constructs with similar layouts. There's not a great deal of care put into how they look, the heads rough spheres to hold the glowing glass balls that make up the eyes, the body barely hewn to hold the legs - these seem made solely for utility, and shortcuts were obviously taken in their construction, and it takes all of them to wrestle the large stone block into place. As you watch, they all turn and start swarming back towards a cave entrance set into the cliff under the tower, disappearing into the darkness even as another mob of the strange artificial workforce makes its way out of the cavern, wrestling another block, dragging it across the snow with obvious effort.

[colour=#808080]"Huh,"[/colour] Bramble barely breathed. [colour=#808080]"That's not something you see every day."[/colour]

"[colour=#006400]Ponies can make mechanical workers now. Huh. I wonder what will come first: using them as maids or using them as an army?[/colour]" His curiosity about the potential of pony kind and its capacity for indulgence was genuine. So was his train of thought's sharp turn into crazy town. The rogue's friends would find him playing with the spring loaded knife in his horseshoe. "[colour=#006400]I wonder how easy they turn off.[/colour]"

"[colour=#006400]So[/colour]", Curtains whispered to his comrades, still fiddling, "[colour=#006400]Game plan? Whoever is controlling these machines is down in that cave. We can take the direct approach[/colour]", by which he meant Ironmane and the wooden dog monster, both of which he pointed to, "[colour=#006400]or the two fillies here can give me a kiss for good luck before I creep inside and look for a switch or something.[/colour]"

[colour=#0000ff]"I'll uh...wait here...I think you should go take a peek-see. Then we can come back you up if there is something that needs back up." [/colour]Ali hovers up off the ground, one eyebrow raised as she watches the odd little machines scurrying about. She keeps glancing at the cave though, an ominous feeling sweeping over her.

Bramble Rose leaned forward, peering curiously (Knowledge: Arcana Roll d20+8 = 22). [colour=#808080]"I'm not sure those are machines..."[/colour] he murmurs softly. [colour=#808080]"I'm fairly certain they're just animated... badly carved. Just blocks of wood and brass bars in the vaguest shape of a spider, no internals at all. Sloppy work, just sloppy ... "[/colour] He shakes his head from analyzing them, and admits, [colour=#808080]"I think a scouting trip should work well enough... but I'm worried about wards. Ali, do you have a good Detect Magic orison available to you? If you and I carefully look for wards, then Curtain can go in for a physical once-over.. I can't think of anything else to do to be careful. Obviously going to have to whip up something to let Curtain see magic once this is all over..."[/colour]

Bramble Rose perks up. [colour=#808080]"Oh, hey, you're right!"[/colour] he whispers excitedly. [colour=#808080]"I didn't even think of that! Wrong number of legs, but you know, there is a certain breed of spiders that will join ant colonies by putting their front legs up next to their head like antennae?" [/colour] He demonstrates with his forehooves, wriggling them over his head in an insectish manner. [colour=#808080]"Fools the ants!"[/colour]

"[colour=#006400]And here I thought this was a situation I couldn't lie my way out of[/colour]", Curtain Call boasted, absolutely thrilled with the new plan. In fact, his larger knife was already out and sawing away at reasonably leg sized branches. Once enough fake legs were assembled, Curtains got a little... too eager to pull out his disguise kit. He was mixing fur paints before he even gave out the disclaimer of: "[colour=#006400]I should warn you. This will be the first time I've made up... somepony else. Oh, but I'm sure it will be fine. Nothing to worry about. So, ahem, who's first?[/colour]"

The Princesses could probably see his grin from here.

(( Disguise is +5, applied four times. This is going to be too much fun. Edit: five. I'm dumb. ))

Archived