[Solstice Heights] The Discovery Of Friendship [Open]

PonyHooves

((OOC: My character. http://www.canterlot.com/topic/6218-whisperpaw-final/))

It was just an average day for Whisperpaw. He was sitting at home giving some sick rabbits the medicine they needed to get better. "This will make you big and strong... Then you can go back into the wild with your bunny friends." He whispered softly to them. Whisperpaw made sure the two rabbits took all of their medicine. Then he gently wiped their mouths. After that, he placed them in a little basket that was cusioned with a pillow. He placed a blanket over them. "Take a little sleep... And I'll come back really soon with some fresh food for you both to eat." He told them. Whisperpaw watched them fall asleep. Then, he signaled for three humming birds to perch upon his back. The humming birds perched on his back ever so gently. He was already wearing saddle bags. That meant he was ready to leave. As usual, he left his home in silence.

After walking for a certain distance, he suddenly whispered. "Fly on home my humming bird friends. Your well enough to go back into the wild where you belong." He stood there for a moment as he watched the humming birds fly off into the distance. Their beautiful voices, made him smile brightly. When the sound of their hum died down, Whisperpaw continued to walk on. He happily passed a few farms. The small stallion was out on a trip to bring back food for the two sick wild rabbits that he was nursing back to health. But he also had another mission. He needed to keep a count on the other wild animals. After all, if their numbers were getting low and no pony was out to keep count of them, then no pony could save them from extinction. He always seemed busy. But without any friends, what else could he do other than take on all of the jobs by his self.

It wasn't always Inkblot visited Solstice Heights. In fact, he had only been there twice. Of course, this didn't mean he had no knowledge of the area. The last time he was here was abount a month or two ago. He remembered it as being a fairly peaceful, suburban area with peaceful, natural scenery. Today was just a simple day for the black pegasus, and he just knew it would be a great day for a stroll. Earlier, he had packed his bags with a few things. With his pet Raven Corvus perched on his back, Inkblot headed out toward Solstice Heights. But that was earlier. Now, he was just having a simple stroll. Nothing special, but he figured he could get some ideas for poetry. That's when he saw an interesting sight. It was a black unicorn! He seemed hacing a quiet stroll as well. Inkblot wasn't well acquinted with the folks here in the heights, so he figured it would be a good idea to become friendlier. He flew himself up beside the unicorn, trying not to be akward.

"Hello...Pleasant day for a stroll isn't it...?"

Inkblot smiled, trying not to be akward.

Corvus, still perched on the pegasus's back, remained calm and silent.

Whisper saw black wings and hooves. At first, he jumped a little bit because he was given such a scare by the black pegasus. Then he saw a raven resting on the back of the stallion. 'He must be a nice pony... He's letting such a beautiful bird perch on his back. I should try and speak to him.' He thought to his self. He knew that his voice was going to be a whisper, but he tried as hard as he could. "Yes it is a nice day... But a busy day." He spoke in his usual whisper. His horn started to glow a shade of dark blue. Whisperpaw smiled. "Wild vegetables are growing around here. These are just what those sick bunnies need." He whispered. Whisperpaw began to dig at the ground. It was soft. Vegetables could easily grow there and he knew it. After a moment, he noticed out of the corner of his eye, that carrot tops were sticking out of the ground. Carefully, the unicorn dug them up. He gently placed them in his saddle bags and filled in the holes with the misplaced earth. He let out a gentle sigh of relief. 'That's one job completed...' He thought to his self. His horn stopped glowing and returned to its normal state.

Inkblot could tell there was something a bit unusual about the unicorn, but he did'mt want to be rude. He noticed that he was working quite diligently, and the black pegasus felt a bit bad for interrupting him.

"I see you are...working...yes? I am sincerely sorry for my interruption...but...uh...would you need any help?"

Inkblot smiled akwardly, hoping to ease off some of the tension. The pegasus wasn't usually this kind, but ge figured it would be nice to assist the unicorn from the work he had interrupted him from finishing.

"Oh yes please... I have so much work to do and any help is appreciated." He whispered a reply. Then he felt rude. Whisperpaw hadn't even told the stallion his name. He felt that he was being irresponsible for neglecting the use of manners. His aunt had taught him to be well mannered and he felt as though he was letting her down. "I'm sorry I'm being so rude... My name is Whisperpaw... Pleased to meet you." He introduced his self. Whisperpaw hoped that an apology would make up for his belated introduction. He never wanted to be thought of by any pony as an ill mannered thug. Whisperpaw only wanted to be thought of a a kind soul because that was the way he had been brought up to be. He watched the pegasus in hope of a positive response.

"Pleased to meet you, Whisperpaw. My name is...Inkblot. Pleased to meet you."

Inkblot's akward smile had been replaced by a more friendly one, along with his attitude.

"Please, Whisper. What would you need help with...? As they say, 'to help is to befriend'...and I'd be more than willing to help you out with some chores and such."

"Well, I need to keep a count of the population of the wild animals... Otherwise, no pony would know if they needed a little help to stay populated and then we could end up loosing them forever." Whisperpaw replied. "I'm also taking care of some bunnies that aren't feeling too well. They need alot of care and they aren't eating solids so I have to mash up their carrots. They've already taken their medicine, but when I get back they'll be hungry." He took a moment to think about the other things on his list. He was quite suprised with his self. That was the most he had ever said to any pony and he had more to say. Sure he whispered every word he had said, but this pegasus was listening and was acting very kindly. Could this possibly mean that Whisperpaw had made his very first friend? Then again he needed to concentrate. Which was just what he did. "I also need to release four squirrels back into the wild. They're healthy now." He added.

Inkblot knew Whisper was busy...but this was a whole new level of busy! This was a jam-packed schedule. Inkblot nodded his head, listening closely to the unicorn.

"I'm not really all that acquainted with helping animals...besides my friend Corvus here. I would be intetested in helping you though...maybe I can help you release the squirrels? And I can help take count of the wild animals...but I might need your help. I have the eyes of a writer...observant but sometimes unreal..."

Inkblot stopped, realizing that he didn't want to go too far into conversation.

"And if you don't mind, could you take care of Corvus while I'm with the squirrels? I'm not sure that he would 'play' too nicely with them...."

Inkblot stopped for a second to catch his breath.

"...What I'm trying to say is I'd be happy to help, friend."

Inkblot didn't usually talk this much.

In fact, he rarely ever talked that much at one time.

Nonetheless, he felt like he would do whatever he could to help this pony out.

"Its okay... I don't mind looking after your handsome pal. I've always liked ravens." Whisperpaw replied. "But my favourite animal will always be the wolf." Whisperpaw looked at Corvus and smiled gently. Then he looked at Inkblot. "Animals will like you if your quiet and speak softly. If you move to fast they'll see you as a threat. Bu if your quiet and calm, they will be drawn to you." He explained kindly. A badger came wandering across the path Whisperpaw smiled with his gentle nature starting to show. "Hey there little guy... You look a little lost." He whispered gently to the badger. The badger walked closer and nudged him. Whisperpaw looked at Inkblot again. "I forgot to mention that I help lost animals find their way back to their homes. They always seem to find their way to me when then need help."

Inkblot nodded. This pony really was naturally inclined...Corvus dimounted from Ink's back, and flew over beside Whisperpaw.

"Sorry...Corvus won't perch in anyone but me. He's a bit...odd like that. If he misbehaves, just give me a shout. He shouldn't though..."

Inkblot gave the raven a deep stare.

"You hear that Corvus? No trouble!"

Inkblot nodded again and smiled.

"Anyway, where should I begin, friend?"

Whisperpaw heard him say the word 'friend'. The unicorn smiled even brighter. He had finally made a friend. "Please could you take this badger back to his set... I have all of the badger sets pointed out on this map. Your a real friend." He whispered. The stallion pulled a map out of his saddle bags with his teeth. He carefully handed it over to Inkblot. He then looked at the badger. "I want you to go with my pegasus friend here... He'll make sure you get home nice and safe." He whispered in a gentle tone. The badger slowly walked up to Inkblot and looked up at him.

Inkblot nodded, and looked back down at the badger, who was focused on him. He then looked back to map, which Whisper had gave him.

"Thank you for the map. I'll make sure to return him to his home and then return..."

He turned, looking in the direction of the map.

"And, Corvus...be good for Whisper."

After saying this, he departed toward the marked location, followed by the badger.

"Well, it's just you and me now Corvus." He spoke in a whisper to the raven. Whisperpaw then took a look around him. He hummed a dark tune. The leaves on the trees rustled loudly. A few dark shapes darted across the sky. Then, several vultures landed in a line right infront of Whisperpaw. "Now if you stay lined up counting your numbers will be very quick." He whispered to them.

Inkblot had finally arrived at the marked spot, and he looled around. When he had finally found the set, he nudged the badger a bit.

"Come on..go on then..."

Thr badger looked to him, and then to his set.

Inkblot, a tad nervous to do anything, turned around an walked away.

To his surprise, he found himself being "cornered" by some of the other badgers in the set.

"They must think I stole him away..."

The pegasus lifted up into the air, hoping to escape the angry badgers. He was able to escape, but not completely unharmed. One of the badgers jumped up, scratching Ink's leg. Ink continued to fly, and he was soon able to escape the badgers.

When he finally arrived near Whisper, he called out. The cut was red now, and it hurt terribly.

"Hey...Whisper! Mission...uh...accomplished..."

He looked to see Corvus, hovering above Whisper gently.

"Say...would you happen to have a.....bandage or....something...?"

"Oh my..." He sound shocked. "What happened? Did you wake the napping wolves or something?" Whisperpaw was worried for his new friend. He had never known anypony to get hurt by going to the local badger sets. He knew that there were a few wolves that often took quick naps nearby. But they were shy and always avoided conflict. The vultures that were lined up, scattered and flew away back into the trees which they originally perched theirselves on. "Let my help you to my home. I've got a few medical supplies there..." He finally managed to whisper out of worry.

Inkblot followed the unicorn, hovering a couple of inches above the ground. He was hapoy that his new friend would be able to help him. Corvus, seeing that Ink had returned, flew back to his position on the pegasus's back.

"It wasn't...a wolf. It was one of the...badgers. I think...that they thought...that I stole that one from thier set...they were just defensive...no harm in that...

Ink continued to follow Whisper, but the pain in his leg continued to grow.

"I don't understand. Every time I help a badger back to the set, the other badgers rub their heads against my legs and then they all go down the hole together." Whisperpaw explained. Once he reached the house, he opened the door. He went inside and grabbed his first aid equipment. "You can just rest over there in the comfort area where the pillows are." Whisperpaw pulled out some antiseptic wipes and gently cleaned up the wound. Then he bandaged it up. "I'm sorry the bandages are bound around your leg in a messy way... It's much easier to do on the animals." He whispered apologetically.

Inkblot nodded thankfully to Whisper as he slumped down near the pillows.

"Maybe you're just better with animals than me?...It would appear you have a special connection with them...I just don't...except Corvus..but he certainly isn't like most other animals...I'm so sorry to put you through this trouble though...I should have thought more..."

Corvus hovered over to a pillow and perched on it. He was careful not to rip it with his claws.

"You haven't put me through any trouble at all... Your my friend and I'd do anything to help you." Whisperpaw whispered with kindness in his tone. "Your the only pony friend I've got... Before I met you, I only had animals as my friends." Whisperpaw washed the carrots before chopping them into tiny pieces and mashing them up. He gently lifted the rabbits from the box and fed them their meal. After they had eaten, he carefully wiped their mouths clean before placing them back in ther box. He watched them fall asleep again before turning back to Inkblot. "And Corvus may be a bird, but birds can understand friendship just like we can. They are intelligent creatures who are often misunderstood. He's clearly a good friend to you. He keeps the promises you want him to keep."

Inkblot was silent for a second. This pony was so much different than any other pony he'd ever met. He was so kind and compassionate in comparison to others he'd met in the past. The thought of Inkblot being Whisper's first friend was heartwarming actually. Inkblot didn't usually make friends...and one of the only times he did, he had helped someone out. It was a nice thought. After Whisper finished speaking, Inkblot nodded. The unicorn was right...Corvus was his friend. But so was this unicorn.

"Whisper, would you...like to hear a poem I wrote..?"

That was all he could think of saying.

"Of course I would." He replied with a smile. Whisperpaw sat down beside Inkblot. He went silent as he prepared to listen. As Whisperpaw went silent, so did the animals that were resting peacefully in his home. His first pony friend was as special as the many animals he had befriended. He was unique, quiet and respectful with a liking of animals. Though Whisperpaw hadn't seen Inkblot around before which meant that he'd either moved to Solstice Heights or he was only planning on visiting. The thought of having to watch the pegasus leave was quite saddening, so he tossed that thought to the back of his mind as he listened.

Inkblot took a deep breath.

"Ahem...

In life there comes a day

Where friends come and go away

And joy comes and goes

And times fastens and slows

And yet in life there comes a time

Where friends themselves begin to rhyme

And happiness comes to see

What life can truly be

Friends among and Friends along

Can sing for themselves a joyful song

But until that day, with friends abound

We listen for the sound

For the song that we'll hear

And we'll know we'll have nothing to fear."

When he finished, he just sat there, smiling and silent.

"It's brilliant..." Whisperpaw spoke after it had ended. "I've never heard of a poem so good." Whisperpaw then silenced his self completely. After those words, the animals recovering in his home made their usual sniffling, scraching and the occasional sleep hoot from the tawny owl that was sleeping on its perch in the corner of the room. "I really liked it." Whisperpaw finally managed to say. He had never heard a poem with so much meaning. It had everything in it; days of joy, days of lonliness, friendships made, friends leaving and never fearing life because of friends.

"Thank you...I...appreciate it."

Inkblot stayed silent for a second.

He looked to Corvus, who was asleep on a pillow. He turned to his bandaged leg, which was feeling better now. He then looked around the room, observing all the animals. Finally, he turned to Whisperpaw.

"Friend...I'm sorry to say this...but I must head home soon..."

"I had a feeling you'd say that..." Whisperpaw replied to him. He looked down at his hooves for a moment. He knew it would be lonely for him again without having Inkblot around. "Just promise me one thing... Please come back again someday." He spoke looking at Inkblot. Whisperpaw thought of the day he would possibly see Inkblot once more. He liked the idea of it. He really did. It would give him something to look forward to.