Reactions to MLP

accountdeleted

So, I introduced a friend to MLP. Funny story actually, I spend about three days stressing over how to introduce it to him, then when we were writing lists for 40k, he was taking an age so I started watching pony (muted).

Anyway, we watched Lesson Zero and he made some intresting... observations. I told him it was awesome, the names of the mane 6 and one or two sentences about them all.

• When I was explaining that it was MLP, he did not seem to understand that it was My Little Pony. Made by hasbro. He thought that it was made by fans.
  • when he saw AJ, the very first thing he said was: "so she's a hick...".
  • He really, Really liked Dashie. According to hm, she is best pony.
  • His mouth droped open when he saw Fluttershy "killing" the bear.
  • He liked spike's toungy removal of icing. and the whole scene with Mrs cake and the cupcakes.
  • he diddnt really like pinkie much (kinda unfair, she said about... four things)
  • The only thing he really liked about Rarity was the couch.

So, anyway. What have been people's inital reactions to pony?

I've tried to get people to watch the show. TRIED, but they think of the previous lovey dovey hugs kisses pink pink Care Bear stare type shows and get a big NOWAY!!!. I've put up random clips and Epic Pie Time on my Facebook account and while it was mostly ignored, I did get a few smiles and knowing nods from those in my lists that do watch the show. Not outright "MY FAVORITE SHOW EVAR!!!11", but hints.

All of those reactions you just described means it was a healthy brony conversion. Nicely done! Liking RD as best pony off the bat, hatred of Rarity....check and check!

Of all the "hooks" I see, people watching it for the first time tend to watch it, get really quiet, and become really absorbed in it. FiM just has this amazing draw to it.

For those of you trying to get your loved ones and friends into pony, remember subtlety is the way to go. They'll naturally get hooked on their own if you give them line of sight to pony content.

It's hard to explain MY reacitons, because they panned out over 4 months or so before "becoming a brony".

So I'll tell you of my brother (Paradox)'s instead.

Upon telling him that I'm going to give the show a chance, he legitimately asked me if I'm "gay." (No, just an FYI, I'm straight. No offense though.)

Because, prior to watching the show, I saw some vectors, "Rocky My Pony" and dozens of videos involving ponies and TF2 (Which I was hooked on at the time)

I set up the first 5, and he watched them with me. He wasn't very "open minded" when first watching them, but he wasn't too..."manly" (mainly because he's 14...)

His (and PARTIALLY my) reaction throughout the first two episodes were mainly "Pfft, am I REALLY watching this?" and "heh, that was funny for a little girls' show." and the like..

By the 4th episode, we were both literally questioning each other "Do we REALLY like this show?" and asking back and forth. "No, really, DO you?" and such.

We ended up going to bed at 2:14 AM, with a good 3 hours of ponies in our system. Was a great night, and here I am. A full fledged brony. (My brother is a brony too, and he's actually going to be animating some FiM stuff soon. He's not new to animating though)