The Secret World of Arrietty

Ancre

Heh, when was it out in the cinema for you ? It was out a long time ago here, in january 2011 according to wikipedia.

It was a nice movie. Was it really made by Miyazaki ? From what I remember, it's a production from the Ghibli studios, which means Miyazaki was involved in it somewhere, but it wasn't necessarily his film.

Overall I liked it. It was pretty ! It cheered me up, like almost every Ghibli film does. The scenario was unusual, it was a "slice of life" rather than a "problem resolution" one ; that was a bit unsettling and interesting to watch.

I've seen it twice now so I know it a little better than most. There were some plot holes (like where was Arrietty's dad during the whole kidnapping scenario? common sense dictates out and about looking for paths but who knows). I thought that the premise was great, the animation and perspectives were phenomenal (like a camera comparison of a whole kitchen to a little person being like the Grand Canyon). And oh goodness, the music and sounds were phenomenal too! The Celtic melodies were so perfect for this film, and the loud noises of clocks and etc. for the Borrowers were nothing short of great, it was a nice addition and made you feel like a Borrower too! As for the story, I loved Arietty and Sho/Shawn's relationship, it was a simple yet breathtaking one, and I was so happy to see that things ended better than what you could imagine. It wasn't necessarily a love story for Shawn and Arrietty, but a tale of friendship and finding strength in yourself to survive, no matter what.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally loved Arrietty - I think this is the second time Ghibli's done a movie based on a book (Howl's Moving Castle being the first...? I could be wrong on that. Don't quote me. :B) Even so, I thought the animation in this one was absolutely gorgeous as usual - it's one of those movies that you can watch several times over and catch little details each time that you hadn't before.

That being said, I got to watch the Japanese version, and with any Ghibli film my bias is always going to be that the Japanese versions trump the English ones. That's just my preference. Even with Ponyo, which I liked in Japanese but haaaated the English dub.

My one nitpick with Arrietty is that...it felt sort've rushed. They had so much stuff they could've built on and made an even more epic movie.

I personally loved Arrietty - I think this is the second time Ghibli's done a movie based on a book (Howl's Moving Castle being the first...? I could be wrong on that. Don't quote me. :B) Even so, I thought the animation in this one was absolutely gorgeous as usual - it's one of those movies that you can watch several times over and catch little details each time that you hadn't before.

That being said, I got to watch the Japanese version, and with any Ghibli film my bias is always going to be that the Japanese versions trump the English ones. That's just my preference. Even with Ponyo, which I liked in Japanese but haaaated the English dub.

My one nitpick with Arrietty is that...it felt sort've rushed. They had so much stuff they could've built on and made an even more epic movie.

Its difficult to enjoy an English version of something after seeing the Japanese version first. I'd like to find arriety in English before finding the Japanese version for that reason. I started watching anime in Japanese with subs first and now its almost painful to watch it dubbed unless its a series I've not seen. Although I've enjoyed the dubbed version of Elfen Lied. I haven't actually watched the English version of Ponyo though. I just searched for the Japanese version of it. I mean its cool that they redo them for the American audience but unless you enjoy dubbed anime or plainly don't follow anime to begin with the dubbed versions will always seem like they fall short.