High Roller [FINAL]

HighRoller

Roleplay Type: Mane Equestrian

Name: High Roller

Sex: Male

Species: Unicorn

Eye Color: Teal

Coat Color: Dark Blue

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: His mane and tail are both primarily a cloudy gray, with soft blue highlights. His mane is longish (it would fall past his shoulders if he were a human), and rather wavy. It is silky-looking, but not always well kept up. His tail is relatively long and is otherwise very similar to his mane.

Physique: Best described as "Average". He is of average height for a stallion, and his body strikes a balance between soft and muscular.

Cutie Mark: Red 20-sided polyhedral die, with a few numbers visible in the same blue as his coat.

Origin/Residence: Originated in Manehattan, decided to move to Canterlot shortly after reaching adulthood to promote gaming in the capital.

Occupation: Board and card game designer and manager of a small retail store in Canterlot called "Silverhoof Games"

Motivation: Roller is motivated by a desire to make new friends, and to bring fun to the lives of others in the form of games. He figures that if

he can make some money in the process, it's even better. He spends time in Canterlot trying to meet new ponies and create interest in his business, but likes to see other places in Equestria, and does his best to promote interest in gamer culture wherever he goes.

Likes: Fillies, games, entertaining others, occasional solitude

Dislikes: Talking to said fillies, cruelty

Character Summary:

Personality:Roller is a happy and compassionate young stallion. He is constantly seeking inspiration for his craft, no matter where he goes or what he's doing. He loves meeting new ponies, and strives to bring enjoyment to the lives of others. Although sometimes quiet and content to listen, when he gets going on a subject he's passionate about, he tends to ramble, but will usually catch himeslf before he begins to look foolish.

Family: Roller is an only colt, closest to his mother, who works at a hair salon in Manehatten. She is very supportive of his career choice. Though his father, an accountant (also in Manehatten) would rather see him take on a "practical" job, he is overall glad to see that his son has found his purpose and is doing something he enjoys. Roller enjoys relatively frequent visits to Manehatten to see his family.

Personal History: Roller did passably at all subjects in school, but was sometimes distracted from his studies by whatever new games he could get his hooves on. Once he became a grown stallion, he spent some time visiting various places in Equestria. Roller has never had a serious fillyfriend, but has developed crushes on fillies in the past.

Cutie Mark Story: Though Roller always had a decent grasp of magic, he found he didn't using it for practical purposes, and so his skills fell into relative disuse. In his late colthood however, he began to experimment with combining gaming and magic. Staying up late several consecutive nights and studying object enchantments and crafting, he eventually developed the first truly random, un-losable, un-loadable die, which was also capable of stopping itself from falling off the table! He almost immediately secured a patent (or whatever the Equestrian equivalent may be), in addition to gaining his cutie mark. The mark represents not only his achievements at fusing practical magic and game design, but his passion and love for gaming in general. Roller later used the money gained from sales of his "Steady Roller" brand of dice to open his own modest storefront in Canterlot.

I like what you've got for this character so far, there's just a few points for improvement I'd like to point out. First, his cutie mark story should be integrated into his character summary instead of residing in his motivation section. Preferrably, the story should take place at or near the conclusion of some history on your character, which you currently have very little of. What did his parents do? How was school for him? Asking yourself questions like these should give you plenty to write about on his past.

In his teens, he began to try his hand at making games rather than just playing them, and when he found others enjoyed his creations, his cutie mark appeared, representing his enjoyment of making and playing games, from the simple to the complex.

Since we don't know how quickly or slowly the ponies of Equestria mature, you should refrain from using any sort of numerical value for ages, even a general range such as 'teens'. Instead, this could read something like "In his colthood..." or something similar.

And, just as some trivia, if you didn't know, the name for a regular 20-faced polyhedron (a d20) is an Icosahedron. :)

• Like 1

He spends time in Canterlot trying to meet new people and create interest in his business...

Just wanted to point out that it's quite hard, if not impossible, to meet people in Equestria. ;-)

Species:Unicorn

But coming back to main reason I'm posting. I like how the app is short and covers a lot of things like personality et caetera. Still, he's an Unicorn. And I'd really like to read something about magic he uses, but there's not a word mentioned. What gives an Earth Pony so far.

Maybe you could try connecting it with your Cutie Mark story, explaining if he uses it as a crafting tool, or maybe it serves him any other way? Also, fillies and young ponies may have tendencies of magic taking over them, so maybe this had any influence on his life? Giving him a hint in which direction he should act?

This looks a lot better than last night, and I think we're almost done. Something I did overlook, as Volt pointed out, is that he's a unicorn, but you make no mention of how he uses his magic. This is especially important in relation to his talent; does he have some unique spells that help with game design or GM'ing, or is his talent purely unrelated to any magical ability? After you include something about this, I think we'll be good to bump your app to the next stage.

One thing I would like to point out however is:

'Origin/Residence:Originated in Manehattan, decided to move to Canterlot shortly after reaching adulthood.'

I sure would like to know why he moved, I think that would add some nice depth to his character if we (the audience) knew why he moved from Manehatten, even if it is just 'He didn't like the noise of the city and one day decided to move to Canterlot and be among the elites.' But that is just a small idea I had, nothing big.

There! Worked his use of magic into his cutie mark story, and made his source of funding for his store more logical. The idea just hit me; I never would have come up with it if it weren't for all y'all asking about the possibility of special magic. Hope y'all find this acceptable! :D