Was GIMP a bad idea?

Lux

So I have been drawing for two months now.

My art is (at least I think) good, but not up to the calibur of many of the artists I favorite on Deviant Art.

What I am seeing is that many artists are using Photoshop with very few using GIMP.

Call me paranoid, but is using GIMP a bad idea? Is it hindering the potential of my art?

I know art is mostly practice, but I'm wondering if the tool I'm using is hindering things.

I don't think so. You shouldn't worry too much about the program you're using, worry about practicing and improving you skills :P

Unless you have the money/ don't mind pirating the program of the net I think it's best to stick to GIMP.

hi hi

I think that for most people, photoshop is just what is familiar to them. I see a lot more people branching out into different tools like Paint Tool Sai. Painter used to be a common alternative too. But honestly, most artists don't end up using most of what Photoshop has to offer anyway, so it probably wouldn't make much difference which one they used.

well , GIMP is actually ,as what I've heard from others and also my father(an engineer who used to design equipment for CAT ) ,supposed to be just as advanced. I actually use gimp myself and it works for me, I probably don't even use it to it's full potential , that's what i suggest, just to try fully understand the software and see everything it can do for you. but if it doesn't , trying new programs, that's always a option to, cause at the end of the day I think using the program that works best for you is whats important. so i don't think gimp can hinder your work, but do more for it. and really practice and perfecting your own art style is still the most important factor here. Now I will suggest trying to get a copy of the paint program SAI, whether be by paying or other ways, because that is what I've been primarily using for my digital art for a few months now, it's given me the cleanest results thus far out of all the paint programs I have used.

People use Photoshop over Gimp because Photoshop is much better advertised, ergo, more popular.

But it's also a lot more complicated in my eyes, when compared to Gimp.

I'm using Gimp, I'm more than satisfied.

Besides, the size of gimp and PS on hard drive... :D

Stick with Gimp. Switching programs may give you a little headache at start anyway.