1080p vs 720p (iTunes)

Shano

As we know, iTunes launched 1080p support. I don't want to buy them on their own, but I have some questions:

1. Some of the early 720p episodes featured color saturation, which was not present in Hub 1080p versions. Are these color saturations and other color glitches corrected in iTunes 1080p?

2. Is the S01E19 bug (Fluttershy and RD not present in the hole where they fall, which was not the case on the Hub) fixed in 1080p iTunes version?

3. Is the quality difference between 720p and 1080p considerable? Some people say that 1080p is overkill in this show's case, as there's no difference on fullscreen.

Not often do I see a topic that requires my technical knowledge. I like it!

The "higher" the quality, the better. This is a rule, not an opinion. The only time this varies is if it's supposed to "reference" to olden times. (Like intentionally lowering sound quality in 8-bit music)

The Color correction is applied in the iTunes episodes, but there's really no "certain" way to view it. If you don't own the episodes via iTunes, but got them via other means, you can manually "Correct" the color using your Computer's video card.

I can use Catalyst Control Center (My video card control station) to manually change the color, saturation, hues, brightness, contrast, etc, and apply it to video not only on my PC, but on the internet. The only upside to the iTunes is that there are no watermarks. (The hub logo, and such)

"720p" resolution is 1280x720, and is considered an HD resolution. However, you need to remember that higher resolution is ALWAYS better. My native resolution on my Monitor is 1920x1080, which is 1080p.

I have all of the episodes downloaded in 1080p, and they look fantastic. Why, may you ask?

Because. When a video's resolution is the same, or closer to your native resolution, less "stretching" is applied when you full screen it. Less stretching = less blurry pixels, better color, and a better video experience.

There is no "overkill" to this show. The only way you could do that, is if you stretch it PAST the resolution it was animated in. (Say it was animated in 1920x1080, but you stretch it to 2560x1600) otherwise, the better resolution, the better quality.

Oh, and by the way. The quality difference between 720p and 1080p is VERY VERY noticeable,. BUT only if your monitor is running at a resolution of 1920x1080 or higher. Otherwise, all of your "1080p" episodes are resized down to your native resolution. Which, granted, would still look better than 720p. I can get you some photos soon, too, if you'd like. A comparison, if you will.

Hope this is helpful~

Not often do I see a topic that requires my technical knowledge. I like it!

The "higher" the quality, the better. This is a rule, not an opinion. The only time this varies is if it's supposed to "reference" to olden times. (Like intentionally lowering sound quality in 8-bit music)

The Color correction is applied in the iTunes episodes, but there's really no "certain" way to view it. If you don't own the episodes via iTunes, but got them via other means, you can manually "Correct" the color using your Computer's video card.

I can use Catalyst Control Center (My video card control station) to manually change the color, saturation, hues, brightness, contrast, etc, and apply it to video not only on my PC, but on the internet. The only upside to the iTunes is that there are no watermarks. (The hub logo, and such)

"720p" resolution is 1280x720, and is considered an HD resolution. However, you need to remember that higher resolution is ALWAYS better. My native resolution on my Monitor is 1920x1080, which is 1080p.

I have all of the episodes downloaded in 1080p, and they look fantastic. Why, may you ask?

Because. When a video's resolution is the same, or closer to your native resolution, less "stretching" is applied when you full screen it. Less stretching = less blurry pixels, better color, and a better video experience.

There is no "overkill" to this show. The only way you could do that, is if you stretch it PAST the resolution it was animated in. (Say it was animated in 1920x1080, but you stretch it to 2560x1600) otherwise, the better resolution, the better quality.

Oh, and by the way. The quality difference between 720p and 1080p is VERY VERY noticeable,. BUT only if your monitor is running at a resolution of 1920x1080 or higher. Otherwise, all of your "1080p" episodes are resized down to your native resolution. Which, granted, would still look better than 720p. I can get you some photos soon, too, if you'd like. A comparison, if you will.

Hope this is helpful~

I only have one issue with all of that... I have heard, though unconfirmed, that MLP:FiM is not animated in full 1080p, not even 1080i, which would mean that they are upscaling for 1080p. Naturally there are ways to enhance and remove artifacts if you have the source material, but it is still not perfect. Which means that there is still some loss of quality, which would make 1080p overkill in this case. (I have heard that it is animated in 720p, which is its native resolution). So while it will look better due to lack of stretching, it still won't be true 1080p quality.

Though, if what I have heard is untrue, than everything you said is 120% correct. (I'm not substantiating rumors, just mentioning it, as it would be a point of contention and quality loss)

Naturally, for such a grand explanation you deserve this:

3.png

The show is actually animated at a resolution slighter higher than 1920x1080. It's not an "actual" resolution you would find in any monitor's settings. It's something along the lines of 1963x1156.

The reasoning for this, is so that when transferred to television, minimal image quality is lost (if any) when The hub airs the episodes. This resolution helps 1080i keep it's quality, as well as perfect quality for 720p, and 1080p alike.

Also note that not many (if any) TV providers provide 1080p channels. Usually it is 720,or 1080i. Of course, The hub only airs in 1080i, so it isn't actually 1080p. Which is why the iTunes episodes look better. However, the actual image quality loss when in 1080i is VERY MINIMAL for animation. As it only affects things like fast-paced sports. It would take a highly trained eye to tell the difference between 1080i, and 1080p for an animated show like this.

The show is actually animated at a resolution slighter higher than 1920x1080. It's not an "actual" resolution you would find in any monitor's settings. It's something along the lines of 1963x1156.

The reasoning for this, is so that when transferred to television, minimal image quality is lost (if any) when The hub airs the episodes. This resolution helps 1080i keep it's quality, as well as perfect quality for 720p, and 1080p alike.

Also note that not many (if any) TV providers provide 1080p channels. Usually it is 720,or 1080i. Of course, The hub only airs in 1080i, so it isn't actually 1080p. Which is why the iTunes episodes look better. However, the actual image quality loss when in 1080i is VERY MINIMAL for animation. As it only affects things like fast-paced sports. It would take a highly trained eye to tell the difference between 1080i, and 1080p for an animated show like this.

OK, see, now that is interesting, I did not know that. I knew that TV broadcasts in 720p or 1080i, but did not know about the higher source resolution. Also... I suck at telling the differences, even on my 46" 1080P LED TV. I can barely tell the difference between a 720p source and a 1080i source. The most I do is hear a difference in audio. Though I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. I know... I'm strange.

Thanks for the lesson :)

OK, see, now that is interesting, I did not know that. I knew that TV broadcasts in 720p or 1080i, but did not know about the higher source resolution. Also... I suck at telling the differences, even on my 46" 1080P LED TV. I can barely tell the difference between a 720p source and a 1080i source. The most I do is hear a difference in audio. Though I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. I know... I'm strange.

Thanks for the lesson :)

You're not strange, actually. You're not "supposed" to tell the difference between 720p and 1080i. Or else their "lack of quality" for TV providers would turn away subscribers. Also, the reason there is a difference in audio quality, is because the signal's audio quality is changed between 720p and 1080p, to save "Bandwidth" for TV providers. 720p is at 192kbps, whereas 1080p is 320kbps. Just about the best audio you can get. Also, 720p's 5.1 / 7.1 surround doesn't sound as good as 1080p's, of course.

You're not strange, actually. You're not "supposed" to tell the difference between 720p and 1080i. Or else their "lack of quality" for TV providers would turn away subscribers. Also, the reason there is a difference in audio quality, is because the signal's audio quality is changed between 720p and 1080p, to save "Bandwidth" for TV providers. 720p is at 192kbps, whereas 1080p is 320kbps. Just about the best audio you can get. Also, 720p's 5.1 / 7.1 surround doesn't sound as good as 1080p's, of course.

Are you sure you don't work for the Hub? :smirk:

The problem I have with so called "high definition" is that it renders the old good stuff so badly and makes the flaws of those old goodies even more clear.

Also HD is just an excuse for hollywood to make Bluray that likes to phone home and needs firmware updates all the time.

I'd hate to come off as offensive, but you're entirely wrong here. If you're not a "genius" in tech, I understand, but don't assume when you do not know.

HD resolution is in a 16:9 aspect ratio. Whereas older content is filmed in a 4:3 aspect ratio. However, because the content would be "stretched" when put on TV, they leave it with the black bars on each side of the screen.

This allows the content to be played at it's normal aspect ratio, thus keeping the image quality. Most TVs nowadays even have a "stretch" option built in, incase you DO want your 4:3 content stretched to 16:9.

Older TV shows in 4:3 can actually look better when broadcasted over a HD signal. This is because the content can be sharpened, color corrected, and cleaned up very easily. Some of it even being done by your television.

Also-

"HD" is by NO MEANS whatsoever a gimmick. The only "gimmick" to it is the HD sunglasses they sell. (Actual sunglasses supposed to make your vision HD)

"HD" stands for High Definition, which is EXACTLY what it is. HD is not something that Hollywood uses to release Blu-ray "that likes to phone home and needs firmware updates all the time", it is the quality of the image in which you are displayed on your screen. If your PC monitor is running at a pixel ratio HIGHER than 1280x720, then does that mean your monitor is a "gimmick"? No.

"HD" is also not a way for people to sell Blu-ray movies easier .In fact, Blu-ray movies look absolutely stunning if on the right setup. It will literally blow your mind how good it looks.

My vision isnt good enough to bother with more than 720p, 1080 doesnt look much better to me. The only way higher resolution makes a difference to me is if its on a movie theater screen, where everything is big enough for my crummy eyes to make out all the details.

Also, I've never understood how those sunglasses are supposed to make your vision hd. Your eyes are using the best resolution known to man, the photon. Glasses wont make them better. Supposedly they work by polarization to cut out glare, but as how that makes your vision more hd, I will never understand.

I'd hate to come off as offensive, but you're entirely wrong here. If you're not a "genius" in tech, I understand, but don't assume when you do not know.

HD resolution is in a 16:9 aspect ratio. Whereas older content is filmed in a 4:3 aspect ratio. However, because the content would be "stretched" when put on TV, they leave it with the black bars on each side of the screen.

This allows the content to be played at it's normal aspect ratio, thus keeping the image quality. Most TVs nowadays even have a "stretch" option built in, incase you DO want your 4:3 content stretched to 16:9.

Older TV shows in 4:3 can actually look better when broadcasted over a HD signal. This is because the content can be sharpened, color corrected, and cleaned up very easily. Some of it even being done by your television.

Also-

"HD" is by NO MEANS whatsoever a gimmick. The only "gimmick" to it is the HD sunglasses they sell. (Actual sunglasses supposed to make your vision HD)

"HD" stands for High Definition, which is EXACTLY what it is. HD is not something that Hollywood uses to release Blu-ray "that likes to phone home and needs firmware updates all the time", it is the quality of the image in which you are displayed on your screen. If your PC monitor is running at a pixel ratio HIGHER than 1280x720, then does that mean your monitor is a "gimmick"? No.

"HD" is also not a way for people to sell Blu-ray movies easier .In fact, Blu-ray movies look absolutely stunning if on the right setup. It will literally blow your mind how good it looks.

No blueray is a totally useless format, especially when its coming so soon after DVD, it only exists for HD snobs, Hollywood to remake movies because they ran out of ideas and DRM.

Soirry I am totally opposed to this so called "standard"

No blueray is a totally useless format, especially when its coming so soon after DVD, it only exists for HD snobs, Hollywood to remake movies because they ran out of ideas and DRM.

It's called progress. I don't see you complaining when they come out with a new processor that becomes a standard. And those last less time than DVD did. DVD lasted about 10 years, which for a standard in technology these days is a long time.

I appreciate technical descriptions, but still nobody answered my 2nd question. Could somebody who owns legit copy of that episode answer this question?

My friend bought the episode a few days ago, and he said it was still there. I haven't watched it myself, but I'll take his word for it.

*Cough* It's Blu-ray, There is no other way to spell it whilst still being correct. You must be someone who shuns new technology, aren't you? It almost seems like you're trying to deny it.

A DVD's Movie resolution only goes as high as 700x480, which, obviously is NOT an HD resolution. In fact, that's not even 16:9. Which is why DVDs will look stretched on your TV, if you have one that is widescreen.

Like starswirl said, this is called progress. You need to accept that technology is improving. Until you "SEE" a Blu-ray movie playing, you need to keep your mouth shut. Blu-ray movies aren't just "The New Transformers" movie, either. There's almost ALL of the Disney movies, too. And almost every movie released to DVD after 2006 is on a Blu-ray now.

Blu-ray is for the best image quality possible for those that own an HD TV and do not want to deal with the poor quality of DVDs. I'm sorry if you just cannot accept this.

You all answered my 3rd question really extensively, but I shall repeat the other ones:

1. Some of the early 720p episodes featured color saturation, which was not present in Hub 1080p versions. Are these color saturations and other color glitches corrected in iTunes 1080p?

2. Is the S01E19 bug (Fluttershy and RD not present in the hole where they fall, which was not the case on the Hub) fixed in 1080p iTunes version?