It Was Worth It - A My Little Dashie Inspired FanFic

SirShadowdeath

I was thinking a couple of days ago about My Little Dashie. Sure, it was sad and all, but I never liked the story or the ending. It also got me thinking about my personal writing. Then I had an idea! I would write my own version of the story. It would have an inspired story, but the plot would definately progress a tad different. The ending would also differ, along with the characters and setting. I also wanted to make this more BitterSweet than Sad.

So, I present to you A First Look at "It Was Worth It". It features a different pony than RD as well, to add to the effect.

(There's probably some errors in this, as it's just a draft for the beginning. A lot of it isn't final.)

(Also, minor language)

Life is whatever you take it to be. It's an open space, and you can grasp whatever you want. But, there are limits. There are boundaries. The biggest boundary? Reality. There's a fine line between fiction and reality. I've always found fiction to me better than life itself, and I'd really give up anything to experience the feeling of having fiction come into reality. Life hits you hard, and reality is the real kicker. I'm no exception, if you couldn't tell. Maybe I'm hit harder than you. I'm a very...anxious...person. I suffer from a great amount of depression and insomnia. I can lay awake for hours on end, thinking about fiction. I want it to be real, but I know it'll never happen. I guess that's the worst part of reality. The fact that it seperates you from your wishes. Reality is a *****. There's no other way to put it. But I guess that counts on who you ask as well.

It was a normal day at my house. It was like any other. I live in the middle of a large field, a couple of miles from an abandoned lumber yard. There's an open road in front of my house, but no one ever really drives on it. I rarely ever ser anyone else around here, and I usually have to drive a couple of miles to get anywhere or achieve anything. So, as usual, I woke up and got dressed. I went downstairs, and ate. I was tired as hell. I hadn't slept at all the previous night. I sat at my table, staring off into space. I didn't have anywhere to be. I had lost been fired from the office I worked at. The only thing that really kept me going these days was two things: my writing, and the brony community. I wasn't an all out brony or anything, and I definately didn't love the show that much. Sure, I'd seen a few episodes of it, but I found the community itself to be very nice and supportive. After about an hour of wasting my time, I decided to take a walk outside. I would just walk up and down the road, probably like a mile or so. I just needed to clear my mind. I needed some air. On the way out, I grabbed my grey jacket and black gloves. It was a tad cold outside, and I wasn't going to walk all the way back twice just because I was cold.

After I had left my house, I immediately started down the street at a steady rate, not too fast, not too slow. It was more of a peaceful, slow jog than a walk, but it was relaxing either way. Then, I heard it, when I was a couple of yards away from my house. I heard the sound that would change my life forever. It was a low pitched, almost silent cry. It sounded like an abandoned baby...or a lost animal. I ignored it. I was near the woods. Stuff like this was normal. I kept jogging steadily. I eventually had to stop. The sound was killing me. I felt like I was walking past a crime scene and completely ignoring it. Out of a mixture of stupidy and curiousity, I jumped off of the trial of the road and hiked into the forest. I kept my eyes and ears open, and I tried to stay as keen as possible. The sobbing sound got louder and louder, and suddenly I tripped over something and fell straight to the ground. Regaining my stature, I looked around. There it was. There was a brown box, covered in leaves. The sobbing was coming from in there. I dusted off the leaves, and opened the old box. When I saw what was inside, I nearly died. Literally. My heart almost stopped beating. Inside was a small, yellow coated filly. She had a pink mane which delicately curled over her eye. She was bordering on the look of being in a cartoon, and I wondered if I was losing it. Maybe I'd finally snapped, I thought. I reached down to touch the filly Fluttershy, but she retreated to the corner of the box in fear. She was still sobbing, now louder than before. I pulled my hand back, realizing that I was being too abrupt.

"Oh...Did I scare...you?" I whispered softly to the terrified filly. I stood there for a second after I had said this, staring at the whimpering pony who could barely stand on her own legs. She turned away from me, and fell under her own weight. Still shaking, she hid her face under her legs. Looking down at this horrified, whimpering filly, I felt terrible. I honestly meant no harm, but I was still weary of if this was actually happening. I thought I was going insane. Out of pure curiousity, I reached my had down to touch her. I needed to know if this was real. Sure enough, my hand brushed against her soft, yellow coat. She whimpered when I did this, and I realized how stupid I was for doing that. I guess they didn't call her Fluttershy for nothing. Suddenly, the realization hit me that I was standing in the middle of a forest, alone, looking at a helpless cartoon character. I couldn't leave her here. I might have problems, but I'm surely not cruel. I hesitated though, knowing that the poor filly had no idea what was happening. Nevertheless, I picked up the box. She was still sobbing in the corner of it, but that was inevitable. The whole way back home, I tried hushing her the best I could. Truthfully, I failed at that.

When we finally arrived back at my house, I laid the box down ontop of my bed. Fluttershy was sleeping peacefully in the corner of the box. I guess she was still a baby, and babies do sleep and cry. At least, I think. I watched her sleep for awhile, and a smile snuck its way onto my face. Looking at the quiet filly, I wondered how I should treat her. Do I treat her like a daughter or a pet? The thought lingered in my mind for at least an hour. While she was asleep, I picked her up in my arms. She was actually pretty heavy, probably because she was still a pony, real or not. She was very tiny, about the size of the distance between my wrist and my elbow. Her warm, soft mane rubbed against my skin as I held her. I close my eyes and took a deep breath. I put her down on my pillow, and moved the box off of the bed. Then, I opened a drawer next to the bed an pulled out a pillow case. I laid it over her like a blanket, and close the windows. On my way out, I closed the lights and the door. As I walked to the living room, I felt conflicted. I was so confused. What was going on? This certainly couldn't be truly happening. I doubted the idea of my sanity being responsible for this. Somewhere deep in my heart, I knew that this was real. But it might have been a hope rather than a fact.

I awoke to the sound of Fluttershy's quiet sobs. I had fallen asleep on the couch, and ha become oblivious to my environment. I immediately scrambled to my room. I turned on the little lamp near my bed, and I looked over to Fluttershy. She was awake, and tears were rolling down her eyes. Her coat was damp from her river of tears. She was still whimpering. At a loss of what to do, I held out my hand to pet her. She immediately retreated to the other side of the bed. The yellow filly then continues on to look up at me. My heart sank. Looking at those sad, teary eyes made me want to cry as well. I held back my tears, and took a breath.

"Oh...Please don't be scared," I said in a gentle voice. "I just want to help you."

The scared filly stopped crying, but she continued to sob. I sat down on the edge of the bed, and gestured for her to come toward me. Reluctantly, she inched forward. After a couple of minutes, the yellow pony had made it's wat to my side. Ever so carefully, I picked her up in my arms. She began to sob louder, and I cradled her like a baby. I thought back to when I was little. A sudden thought came to mind. The lullaby my mother used to sing to me immediately shot into my head. I started to recite it in a soft, caring voice.

"The moon and the stars are shining up in the sky...

Oh please little one, there's no need to cry..."

My heart sank deeper than before. My eyes began to water. I thought back to my own childhood. Life was so happy back then. And then it got worse over time. Depression kicked in. I lost my job. Night after night was now sleepless. Then I looked down to the filly in my arms. She was looking up at me with her sad eyes. She wasn't whimpetimg anymore.  Still sitting on the bed, I broke out in tears. I tried to fight my urge to cry, but I couldn't. The tears flowed down my face like a stream. After awhile of crying, I felt something warm push up against my chest. I looked down to see the sweetest sight I've seen in ages. The little filly was pressed up against my chest, giving me an imitation of a hug the best she could. The sight of this brought a smile to my face. The tears were still streaming, but I felt better now. The best I could, I returned the hug lightly with one arm. I kept in in my arms until she fell aslee.