Status of the Mane 6 in-universe?

Ashton

Well Rarity makes really fashionable pieces which aren't really the type of things that most of Ponyville wear so it makes very much sense that she would be well known outside of Ponyville and not so much inside. Compared to Canterlot, Ponyville is a much more laid back town and Canterlot is a much more rich people featured place.

Each of the Mane 6 have their place in the town and each do things that make them famous in their own way.

Twilight Sparkle seems to be fairly involved in Ponyville's organisation, ever since Winter Wrap-Up. Her schedule in "It's About Time" included a meeting with the Ponyville Hay Board, and ponies seem pretty well disposed to following her directions in "Dragonshy" and "It's About Time". She may just be an overachieving busybody, but it seems more likely that the Mayor has integrated her into the bureaucracy of the town, possibly combined with her status as Princess Celestia's protege.

I think it's reasonable to conclude that Rainbow Dash is the leader of Ponyville's weather team, between "Winter Wrap-Up" and "Hurricane Fluttershy". This makes her pretty highly known and regarded (for that, at least, even if they don't like her other qualities) among Ponyville's pegasi and farmers. I expect that she reports directly to the Mayor.

Applejack probably has no official status, but she is the face and brains behind Ponyville's oldest and most culturally significant farm (it literally predates Ponyville), even if she doesn't actually own it (I think Granny Smith does). She's also recognised as a local hero, somepony who's reliable for whatever the town needs from her. She drew a crowd for her Iron Pony competition with Rainbow Dash pretty quickly, too.

Rarity is big in fashion circles, but otherwise I don't think she gets much attention in Ponyville. If somepony needs a dress, she's obviously the pony to talk to, and she seems to be fairly well-regarded in her social circles (her neighbours like her, at least). She's not exactly important to the town, though.

Fluttershy seems to be pretty important in the animal care arena. This is easy to miss, because in the real world, wild animals can look after themselves, and most humans don't see themselves as having a spiritual obligation to help wild animals gather food, make nests and so on. In Equestria, though, animals (outside the Everfree Forest) need ponies to help them survive. I think this is a very important duty, and she probably has a lot of meetings with the Mayor about it (for such things as the bunny census). The average pony probably doesn't pay much attention to her for it, though, much as most people don't know or care who's in charge of their city's water supply. However, most of Ponyville probably knows what she does, and know to seek her out if they have a problem involving wild animals.

Pinkie Pie is interesting. Everypony knows her, and she knows everypony - "A Friend In Deed" made that pretty clear. Sugarcube Corner seems to be the most important, or possibly only major, party venue and sweet bakery in town, considering that it was in charge of catering for Princess Celestia's visits in "Swarm of the Century" and "A Bird in the Hoof". While Pinkie's role at Sugarcube Corner isn't precisely spelled out, it seems obvious that the Cakes do most of the baking and Pinkie sets up the parties. Thus, Pinkie is basically a town fixture - somepony that everypony knows, who's always there to throw parties when they're needed. She has no actual authority, and sometimes ponies think she's annoying or crazy, but she's able to get lots of ponies to show up at a party on short notice.

I agree with most all of the above, they must be fairly well known, if not household names. But think back to the first episode: Celestia herself must know them, that's how Twilight met the Mane 6 in the first place, they all had jobs for the Gala.

I can't imagine they could be known by the princess of Equestria, but not the residents of their hometown.

I agree with most all of the above, they must be fairly well known, if not household names. But think back to the first episode: Celestia herself must know them, that's how Twilight met the Mane 6 in the first place, they all had jobs for the Gala.

I can't imagine they could be known by the princess of Equestria, but not the residents of their hometown.

I can - I strongly suspect that Celestia sensed the connection that the Sonic Rainboom made between them, and knew that they'd be the ponies who would help Twilight redeem Luna. Celestia might have been keeping tabs on them ever since that day, and may even have been responsible for Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy moving to Ponyville, instead of staying in Cloudsdale or moving to another town.