Status of the Mane 6 in-universe?

Ashton

This is something I mentioned in an RP thread that I throught I'd get the communities feelings on...

To us, of course, the Mane Six are the stars of the show and get special attention, but what are they thought of in-universe?

To me (assuming that celesita's kept the whole 'elements of harmony' thing quiet as has been implied)

Twilight is simply "town librarian"

Fluttershy is simply "Town animal shelter"

Pinkie is "Town loon" or more appealingly "town party-planner"

AJ is "head of the local orchard"

Rarity is just the "owner of the local botique"

And poor Rainbow is just "One of the local weather ponies" (possibly having a little extra recognition because she *is* a rainbow pony, which is somewhat rare, and possibly being recognized as a daredevil for all her 'practicing for the wonderbolts' stunts)

In short they're just average townsfolk, that many ponies may not even know by name (especially Rainbow and Twilight)

Thoughts?

Twilight might have a bit of status within the town. It doesn't seem like her position as personal student of Princess Celestia herself is any kind of secret (remember the party in A Bird in the Hoof). That, and the fact that she'll routinely save the town from things like Cerberus and the Ursa Minor has to have gotten her attention, not to mention her leading them to one of their first successful Winter Wrap Ups in years. Note how quickly she can rally the townsfolk into following and believing her in It's About Time.

I doubt Fluttershy has much recognition at all. Maybe some from the modeling ordeal, but generally she makes an effort to not bring attention to herself, so I doubt she's as notable as some.

Pinkie states that she knows every pony in Ponyville and knowing Pinkie that's probably not an exaggeration. Given the plot of A Friend Indeed, I'll assume everypony holds her in pretty high esteem as well.

Now Applejack is clearly a very celebrated town hero. This is seen in both the shower of support she receives in The Last Round Up and the events early in Applebuck Season. Furthermore, Sweet Apple Acres is shown to be at the heart of the town in a number of episodes (most notable Family Appreciation Day and Super Squeezy Cider 6000); for that reason, she is probably valued and cherished even more.

Within the scope of Ponyville, Rarity probably is indeed considered to most just another successful small business owner. I see her as just poised to really break through. Many of her episodes haver her rubbing shoulders with ponies we're told are rich and famous. I imagine she's starting to garner a reputation within her chosen field beyond Ponyville, even if the locals don't really notice her quite as much.

Dash is also probably more famous than you'd think. She won a big flying competition which ended with her being honored by the Princess, she saves ponies regularly, at least at one point had a fan club, she's met a few of the Wonderbolts, and of course in the latest episode she's shown grabbing the leadership roles for all the pegasi in town. Makes me pretty sure that she's one of the top weather ponies they have.

So yeah, I don't think any of them are seen entirely as just totally normal citizens of ponyivlle, even if you ignore Discord and Nightmare Moon. Most all of them have done some pretty notable things.

-stuff-

That actually makes a lot of sense, it's just hard to grasp given the episodic nature of the series (though I think continuity is getting better) Thank you for pointing that out :)

Twilight might have a bit of status within the town. It doesn't seem like her position as personal student of Princess Celestia herself is any kind of secret (remember the party in A Bird in the Hoof). That, and the fact that she'll routinely save the town from things like Cerberus and the Ursa Minor has to have gotten her attention, not to mention her leading them to one of their first successful Winter Wrap Ups in years. Note how quickly she can rally the townsfolk into following and believing her in It's About Time.

I doubt Fluttershy has much recognition at all. Maybe some from the modeling ordeal, but generally she makes an effort to not bring attention to herself, so I doubt she's as notable as some.

Pinkie states that she knows every pony in Ponyville and knowing Pinkie that's probably not an exaggeration. Given the plot of A Friend Indeed, I'll assume everypony holds her in pretty high esteem as well.

Now Applejack is clearly a very celebrated town hero. This is seen in both the shower of support she receives in The Last Round Up and the events early in Applebuck Season. Furthermore, Sweet Apple Acres is shown to be at the heart of the town in a number of episodes (most notable Family Appreciation Day and Super Squeezy Cider 6000); for that reason, she is probably valued and cherished even more.

Within the scope of Ponyville, Rarity probably is indeed considered to most just another successful small business owner. I see her as just poised to really break through. Many of her episodes haver her rubbing shoulders with ponies we're told are rich and famous. I imagine she's starting to garner a reputation within her chosen field beyond Ponyville, even if the locals don't really notice her quite as much.

Dash is also probably more famous than you'd think. She won a big flying competition which ended with her being honored by the Princess, she saves ponies regularly, at least at one point had a fan club, she's met a few of the Wonderbolts, and of course in the latest episode she's shown grabbing the leadership roles for all the pegasi in town. Makes me pretty sure that she's one of the top weather ponies they have.

So yeah, I don't think any of them are seen entirely as just totally normal citizens of ponyivlle, even if you ignore Discord and Nightmare Moon. Most all of them have done some pretty notable things.

I agree with everything here...

Just two things... First is Rarity... She seems to be more well known. Remember the fashion show? Seemed to have a big turn out for just a regular successful business owner. That said, in Ponyville, yes, she isn't of particular importance. However, we can assume that she is pretty well known in the fashion world. Hoity Toity featured her work, and the reportedly makes dresses for the Gala every year. Not to mention Sapphire Shores knowing who she is, which would lead to more ponies knowing who she is. (Whenever a musical artist has dresses made, it doesn't take long for the media to take note on the designer)

And RD... I could have SWORN that it was mentioned somewhere that she was the head of the weather in Ponyville. Probably the first episode it was implied when TS was looking for her. But yeah... She is pretty well famous. The Wonderbolts even invited her to hang out with them, and every other pony seemed to approach them and take them away from her. However the Wonderbolts didn't approach any other ponies at the Gala, only her. Then you have the best young flier's competition. Then you have the whole MMDW thing (which probably hurt her reputation in the end, but still)....

Basically the Mane 6 are all very well regarded in Ponyville. The only one who isn't always taken SERIOUSLY is Pinkie Pie.... and well... that is because she is Pinkie Pie. However, those closest to her (the Cakes, and the Mane 6 mostly) seem to be reconsidering this (Swarm of the Century, Feeling Pinkie Keen, Baby Cakes).

Phil has it all pretty well handled, though starswirl adds in a few good points as well. I do think they all have a certain level of fame around Equestria after the events of the season two opening two-parter, however.

I agree with everything here...

Just two things... First is Rarity... She seems to be more well known. Remember the fashion show? Seemed to have a big turn out for just a regular successful business owner. That said, in Ponyville, yes, she isn't of particular importance. However, we can assume that she is pretty well known in the fashion world. Hoity Toity featured her work, and the reportedly makes dresses for the Gala every year. Not to mention Sapphire Shores knowing who she is, which would lead to more ponies knowing who she is. (Whenever a musical artist has dresses made, it doesn't take long for the media to take note on the designer)

And RD... I could have SWORN that it was mentioned somewhere that she was the head of the weather in Ponyville. Probably the first episode it was implied when TS was looking for her. But yeah... She is pretty well famous. The Wonderbolts even invited her to hang out with them, and every other pony seemed to approach them and take them away from her. However the Wonderbolts didn't approach any other ponies at the Gala, only her. Then you have the best young flier's competition. Then you have the whole MMDW thing (which probably hurt her reputation in the end, but still)....

Basically the Mane 6 are all very well regarded in Ponyville. The only one who isn't always taken SERIOUSLY is Pinkie Pie.... and well... that is because she is Pinkie Pie. However, those closest to her (the Cakes, and the Mane 6 mostly) seem to be reconsidering this (Swarm of the Century, Feeling Pinkie Keen, Baby Cakes).

Well with hoity-toity, it was outright stated that spike arranged that, and he pulled strings to get the 2nd showing as well, so he might hae pulled strings to get rarity 'featured' (of course even if he did, she still was featured) It amuses me that she may be barely known in ponyville but downright famous in fassion circles 'round equestria lol (of course in canterlot, S+E, nobody knew who she was, so...)

Maybe your thinking of rainbow being head of the weather TEAM for winter-wrap-up (from the episode of the same name)? I dont know if that's been stated in-series, I always assumed she was just an average weatherpony, even if she is likely the fastest and best (when she's not lazing off --- though she seems to do a lot less of that in S2 than S1...) The wonderbolts... they kinda didnt *approach* her so much as she showed up at an oppertune time, saving Soarin's pie, which might have had something to do with it... though they did recognize her from the BYF competition (I didnt think Soarin was at the BYFC...?) so... not sure where I was going with that... and I dont know if others were trying to take the 'bolts away from Dash specifically or if they just were also wanting to talk to them... and MMDW... yeah, I forgot about that (least favorite episode)... with that I'm sure she's well-known (though wheather famous or infamous is up for debate...) Though I still ask if all this is the case, why did she not use her supposed status to get to the front of the cider line then? (it seems there were a couple other incidents like that too, not sure though) Also BYFC must not be worth much since in S+E rarity mentioned dash and nobody knew who she was...

Phil has it all pretty well handled, though starswirl adds in a few good points as well. I do think they all have a certain level of fame around Equestria after the events of the season two opening two-parter, however.

I think both openers' events were kept secret... that was a rather small crowd in canterlot, I think it was just the canterlot elites or even jsut government officials, and the public were told celestia+luna defeated Discord (though this could jsut be my crazy conspiracy theory)

Well with hoity-toity, it was outright stated that spike arranged that, and he pulled strings to get the 2nd showing as well, so he might hae pulled strings to get rarity 'featured' (of course even if he did, she still was featured) It amuses me that she may be barely known in ponyville but downright famous in fassion circles 'round equestria lol (of course in canterlot, S+E, nobody knew who she was, so...)

Maybe your thinking of rainbow being head of the weather TEAM for winter-wrap-up (from the episode of the same name)? I dont know if that's been stated in-series, I always assumed she was just an average weatherpony, even if she is likely the fastest and best (when she's not lazing off --- though she seems to do a lot less of that in S2 than S1...) The wonderbolts... they kinda didnt *approach* her so much as she showed up at an oppertune time, saving Soarin's pie, which might have had something to do with it... though they did recognize her from the BYF competition (I didnt think Soarin was at the BYFC...?) so... not sure where I was going with that... and I dont know if others were trying to take the 'bolts away from Dash specifically or if they just were also wanting to talk to them... and MMDW... yeah, I forgot about that (least favorite episode)... with that I'm sure she's well-known (though wheather famous or infamous is up for debate...) Though I still ask if all this is the case, why did she not use her supposed status to get to the front of the cider line then? (it seems there were a couple other incidents like that too, not sure though) Also BYFC must not be worth much since in S+E rarity mentioned dash and nobody knew who she was...

I think both openers' events were kept secret... that was a rather small crowd in canterlot, I think it was just the canterlot elites or even jsut government officials, and the public were told celestia+luna defeated Discord (though this could jsut be my crazy conspiracy theory)

Pulling strings or not, he ended up featuring her and showed actual interest in her designs the second time around. And also, the second time it looked like Twilight's doing not Spike's (or perhaps they worked together). However, the crowd for the fashion show shows that she is at least well known to a degree at least in Ponyville. And naturally in fashion circles. And now in the upper echelon circles thanks to Fancy Pants (who I still want to see make a return appearance).

Sorry, by approached, it looked to me that the Wonderbolts were approached by other ponies, but Dash was the only one they approached, as in initiated a conversation. It was pretty obvious it was the opportune timing, but it wouldn't have happened if the Wonderbolts didn't know who she was and didn't have at least SOME interest in her. Not to mention Soarin seeming familiar with her in this latest episode. I doubt the Wonderbolt captain remembers every Pegasus's name. And I think it was probably on the Hub or Hasbro if it wasn't in series, but I DO remember reading/hearing that he is the leader of the weather pegasus ponies in Ponyville. If not the leader than the main weather mare of Ponyville at least.

As for the celebrations... The first was in Ponyville, and it doesn't look like anyone other than the ponies in Ponyville knew what even happened.

The one in Canterlot was likely public, but usually elite people don't attend awards ceremonies unless they have special reason to. That and I don't think anypony remembered Discord. I think his magic was illusion based, and everypony was hypnotized, and when it broke, nopony remembered anything. You remember heroes when you remember the disaster, if you don't remember the disaster, even if someone tells you that they are a hero, you won't know nor will you care even if they won a prestigious award because of it.

I dont think the BYFC impacted RD's fame much in ponyville, since it was in cloudsdale. There were probably a lot of pegasus ponies from ponyville, but they already know her, at least the weather ponies do. And while it's not stated that RD is the lead weather pony, it is implied from episode 1 that she is one of the best, if not leader. And Hurricane Fluttershy implies it even further that she is the one in charge. She definitely gets picked to be the leader role for all the pegasus stuff we see.

Pulling strings or not, he ended up featuring her and showed actual interest in her designs the second time around. And also, the second time it looked like Twilight's doing not Spike's (or perhaps they worked together). However, the crowd for the fashion show shows that she is at least well known to a degree at least in Ponyville. And naturally in fashion circles. And now in the upper echelon circles thanks to Fancy Pants (who I still want to see make a return appearance).

Sorry, by approached, it looked to me that the Wonderbolts were approached by other ponies, but Dash was the only one they approached, as in initiated a conversation. It was pretty obvious it was the opportune timing, but it wouldn't have happened if the Wonderbolts didn't know who she was and didn't have at least SOME interest in her. Not to mention Soarin seeming familiar with her in this latest episode. I doubt the Wonderbolt captain remembers every Pegasus's name. And I think it was probably on the Hub or Hasbro if it wasn't in series, but I DO remember reading/hearing that he is the leader of the weather pegasus ponies in Ponyville. If not the leader than the main weather mare of Ponyville at least.

As for the celebrations... The first was in Ponyville, and it doesn't look like anyone other than the ponies in Ponyville knew what even happened.

The one in Canterlot was likely public, but usually elite people don't attend awards ceremonies unless they have special reason to. That and I don't think anypony remembered Discord. I think his magic was illusion based, and everypony was hypnotized, and when it broke, nopony remembered anything. You remember heroes when you remember the disaster, if you don't remember the disaster, even if someone tells you that they are a hero, you won't know nor will you care even if they won a prestigious award because of it.

True

Soarin wasnt in the latest episode, if you meant the Gala, then yes, he and spitfire both did seem to atleast know who Rainbow was (but then they were at the BYFC and were in face saved by her, not to mention her prize was "a day with the wonderbolts" so they probably know her to some extent. Also, Soarin isn't the team captain, in Hurricane Fluttershy it was stated that Spitfire was the captain. Given Her efficiency, as demonstrated in 101, it wouldn't suprise me if Dash *is* the one in charge, but also given her reputation for being lazy one has to wonder (on the other paw, she could easily get away with being lazy if she's in charge...)

The celebration in 102 might have been just the continuation of the Summer Sun Festival, at least that's my theory (but that also relies on the idea that it was not explained that the mane 6 defeated NMM)

How discord did what he did is open for debate, wheather it was illusion or actual reality warping (though given the physical effects we saw (pony sneezing at the peper shaker he manifested, and the mane 6's reaction to the soapy roads) I'm thinking it wasn't illusion --- though at the same time, unless the Elements of Harmony not only defeated Discord but reveresed all his magic (instead of just nullifying it's effects) then Ponyville would have been quite a wreck in 203 given he made large chunks float into the air, many of them upside down... As for memory of it, that's also up for debate, though it does make sence that nobody remembered it since it would seem that such a thing would leave a lasting impression and would garner the mane 6 a LOT of attention given the extent of the damage discord apparently did... I'm going to agree with SteelEagle on this point that 'earning a medal' doesnt automatically make you a household name (just think of all the soldiers who've earned medals in the past, and think of how many are remembered today --- or even more than a day after)

I dont think the BYFC impacted RD's fame much in ponyville, since it was in cloudsdale. There were probably a lot of pegasus ponies from ponyville, but they already know her, at least the weather ponies do. And while it's not stated that RD is the lead weather pony, it is implied from episode 1 that she is one of the best, if not leader. And Hurricane Fluttershy implies it even further that she is the one in charge. She definitely gets picked to be the leader role for all the pegasus stuff we see.

Good point, we've not been back to cloudsdale yet, Rainbow might be more famous there (since the BYFC likely wasnt observed by anyone except pegasai and maybe a pony or two who happened to be nearby to see the Sonic Rainboom or see Dash fly past.

If not in charge, I agree she clearly has a lot of respect and is given leadership roles often (though it could also be she's one of the few willing (Or capable --- imagine derpy trying to run the tornado... :P ) to take the job on) She has shown quite a few leadership skills in the past, though wheather she's a natural born leader or wheather she learned it from her job or elsewhere has never been explored...

I imagine Rainbow Dash is gaining a gaining a good reputation as a flyer and may be on the cusp of making it into The Wonderbolts or another team. She is put into leadership roles and won the best young flyer competition. The Wonderbolts themselves are aware of her and if they needed another member I would imagine she might be considered.

Rarity also seems to be making headway in her career and is probably seen as an up and comer. In Ponyville she is probably not considered a celebrity of any consequence because most of the ponies aren't interested in fashion but she seems to be making a name for herself in the industry.

Fluttershy is probably the least known and least respected of the group. She seems to have a reputation among the secondary characters as being weak and her job doesn't put her into any kind of spotlight. She likely isn't really well known outside of her association with the mane characters

Well i would think they would all be a bit more famous than that... i think i had a discussion with you or someone about this once... but considering the big events that occur in ponyville, i would think they would be a bit more of a household name...

The nightmare moon and discord incidents, They've got to be be known for something... Twilight called out against Nightmare in front of a crowd of ponies, at the end there was a big party celebrating Luna's return and Celestia praising the mane 6. then with the discord incident had the big event at the castle at the end where they were all praised for their work. not to mention the GIANT stained glass in the castle showing them defeating Nightmare moon....

Then the Ursa major incident with it destroying half the town and Twilight saving everyone... not to mention she seems to be the town organizer with the whole winter wrap up thing and then her warning the town of impending doom from the future.

Applejack i woudl think would be known too since her cider and Zap apple jam are apparently huge staples in the equestrian market... i mean it's a 4 member family, you'd think people would take the time to learn their names... and you'd think that the co-owner of such a huge industry in ponyville entering a rodeo in Canterlot would be wide spread news... in fact, it was, wasnt it? They had a town meeting because she was going to give her prize money to fix town hall... even if someone missed the meeting, they would probably notice the collapse roof of the hall and start askign questions and eventually her name woudl come up...

Rainbow Dash as winner of the young flier competition, saving a competitor along with members of the wonderbolts from certain doom while at the same time creating a sonic rainboom in front of a crowd of thousands.

Pinkie Pie always throws parties for EVERYONE and for EVERY reason, you'd think that everyone would have had a birthday party from her, so she woudl be well known.

Rarity has catered to Saphire Shore, Hoity Toity and Photo Finish, anyone who follows celebrities would be aware of her especially if she lives in town with them.

then there's the Gala incident where basically every member of the mane 6 caused a stir, i'm sure somepony would've caught their names durign the whole thing...

Fluttershy is now a big name being the pegasus to overcome her stage fright to help lift the water to Cloudsdale, which apparently is a big deal considering how much pressure that was being put on them to get it done. they carried her off and cheered for her, so i'm sure news got around...

So yeah, basically my point is i believe they SHOULD be a lot more famous than the show seems to let on... it's like at the end of the episode they're famous and big heroes, but by the next episode nobody remembers them... i understand the whole 'day in the life' style of storytelling, but still, at least everyone should KNOW about them...

Two things to be considered

1. It doesn't seem like news spreads alot. We've got word of a newspaper in an upcoming episode, but haven't seen anything like that before especially at a national or regional level, and there are no radios or televisions. There is probably an overall lack of information and communication in Equestria. The ruler banishing her own sister was even eventually forgotten (admittedly over a thousand years, but come on she's still alive. A historian could ask her what happened) Most ponies are probably involved with local dealings and their day to day lives to the point that the happenings elsewhere simply don't make it to them. Unless a friend or relative tells them whats up in Ponyville they aren't getting informed.

2. The average pony doesn't seem to be troubled with an over abundance of brains or critical thinking skills. They mostly just seem to go along with the flow. The mane six and those in authority seem to be the exception. Other ponies just show up to cheer at whatever impromptu contest is being held or panic when a monster shows up.

3. Ponyville seems to be destroyed alot.

4. Some of the exploits are pretty specific. Your average pony selling flowers probably doesn't care about fashion or flying so that would negate the accomplishments of Rarity and Rainbow Dash, who are better know in circles that wouldn't be familiar with Twilight and Applejack being local leaders or Pinkie Pie throwing parties. They run in different circles. Fluttershy is the least accomplished. I don't think her name getting known for helping in the latest episode will make a big impact on anybody other then Rainbow Dash giving her credit because it is a yearly duty and Ponyville almost failing at it isn't exactly going to be something people talk about positively.

Two things to be considered

1. It doesn't seem like news spreads alot. We've got word of a newspaper in an upcoming episode, but haven't seen anything like that before especially at a national or regional level, and there are no radios or televisions. There is probably an overall lack of information and communication in Equestria. The ruler banishing her own sister was even eventually forgotten (admittedly over a thousand years, but come on she's still alive. A historian could ask her what happened) Most ponies are probably involved with local dealings and their day to day lives to the point that the happenings elsewhere simply don't make it to them. Unless a friend or relative tells them whats up in Ponyville they aren't getting informed.

2. The average pony doesn't seem to be troubled with an over abundance of brains or critical thinking skills. They mostly just seem to go along with the flow. The mane six and those in authority seem to be the exception. Other ponies just show up to cheer at whatever impromptu contest is being held or panic when a monster shows up.

3. Ponyville seems to be destroyed alot.

4. Some of the exploits are pretty specific. Your average pony selling flowers probably doesn't care about fashion or flying so that would negate the accomplishments of Rarity and Rainbow Dash, who are better know in circles that wouldn't be familiar with Twilight and Applejack being local leaders or Pinkie Pie throwing parties. They run in different circles. Fluttershy is the least accomplished. I don't think her name getting known for helping in the latest episode will make a big impact on anybody other then Rainbow Dash giving her credit because it is a yearly duty and Ponyville almost failing at it isn't exactly going to be something people talk about positively.

1. I'll have to go back and dig, but there was mention of a newspaper before, I want to say spike made a snarky comment about it like "oh yeah, your picture in the paper..." I'll have to see...

2. look around you, Tv is Realistic ;)

3. This kinda does seem strange... though if you think about it, this may be the plan, ponyville might be a kind of 'gatekeeper' town to stop nasties from the everfree, and as long as only IT gets destroyed, everything is fine.

4. Pinkie. EVERYONE. KNOWS. PINKIE. going back, she's even said herself she knows everyone. I have no doubt that even if she's exadgerating that everyone knows *about* her... now the rest... yeah... I dont think there would be a lot of overlap, discounting a few things like (to use your example) some of the flower-ponies might have been pegasai and attended BYFC and seen Dash's performance and talked about it when they got home, but that's a bit of a stretch... As for flutters.. I think this will be brought up again in the future when she's being scared "You remember that time with the tornado to send the rain to clodusdale? YOU were the one that made it happen, YOU were the one that made a difference, and we need YOU to make a difference NOW!"

In the preview for the new episode there's a comment suggesting that there are newspapers and I think there was one in episode 20

Well Applejack would obviously be well known since her family had a large part in founding Ponyville and she's done a number of things for the community in the series

Fluttershy may be better known than most would initially think, even before the most recent episode, don't forget that her song bird chorus was playing at the summer sun celebration and some probably choose to take their animals to Fluttershy instead of the other vet and of course there was the whole modeling incident

Pinkie Pie knows every pony in town, perhaps she is or will be better known outside of Ponyville after next week's episode, though she's also saved ponyville in forall it's citisens to see at least once

Rainbow Dash was put in charge of the weather team during winter wrap up and is respected at least by the Peagasi of Ponyville (even if we assume that not all of them are weather Ponies she was able to get all of them except Fluttershy to not only come to a meeting but to train and participate in the water transporting hurricane), not to mention the fame she achieved in episode 34 and her winning the best young flyer competition (which a number of the Ponyville Pegasi saw and some even competed in), she also seems to be familiar with out of town weather teams given that she was talking about reports from Baltimare and Los Pegasus in episode 46

Rarity seems well known enough to have a crowd come out to her fashion show and probably runs the only shop in town where you can buy clothing, looking at all the times she's mentioned orders out of town it seems she's better known outside of Ponyville than in it, but obviously somepony in Ponyville must have noticed her since she was put in charge of decorating the town hall for the summer sun celebration. She's done work for celebrity clients and Ponies well known in the fashion industry and of course she's now known in Canterlot amongst the elite (and I still think that Fancy Pants knew who Rarity was from the start or at least from fairly close to the start)

Twilight Sparkle....She's saved the town in front of everypony, multiple times, even in Boast Busters the ones who are deep sleepers and asleep at the time would probably find out that next day when they see several buildings suffered massive property damage, also she's lead the first on time winter wrap up in the past few years and it's been shown that she could inspire confidence in ponies even for something implausable

And let's not forget all 6 of them were in the most important production of the hearths warming play

Back when Jesus was healing and teaching in Israel, he went back to his hometown, and was accepted very rudely. They knew him as the son of a carpenter, and were offended by his new roll.

For everyone but Twilight, the amazing exploits were done after they were already well known in Ponyville. They do not think of Rainbow Dash as the winner of the best young flier competition. If she came back from the competition with an even bigger ego, it wouldn't go over well. More likely they see her as an arrogant, competitive, and competent leader of the weather team. The years of day to day life have too much inertia to be overshadowed by a great moment. Sure they know her; in a town that small, everyone at least recognized everyone else, if not knows their names. Who was in the fan club? The younger ponies who have seen a string of cool feats without as much time to think of her as normal.

I imagine a similar situation for AJ, FS, PP and Rarity. All five of them are probably considered pretty normal. This may not be true for the ponies in other villages and cities.

Twilight is a different story. She exploded out of the gate, and leaves a mark on everything she touches. I will bet there is still a certain amount of awe that has not yet lost.

then there's the Gala incident where basically every member of the mane 6 caused a stir, i'm sure somepony would've caught their names durign the whole thing...

I totally forgot about this... Wouldn't that make Sweet and Elite a bit harder to swallow? There is no way Fancy Pants and Fleur were not there and didn't notice one of them. Heck, any of the upper echelon ponies for that matter. I'm sure Twilight who was with the Princess greeting everypony especially would have been taken note of. That is a great honor to stand with the ruler at any event. Even excluding the insanity that they brought (which was apparently Princess Celestia's grand design) each of them were noticed for one reason or another. Rarity was with the prince the entire night, RD was with the Wonderbolts, AJ had a stand (which I'm sure stood out), Twilight was with the princess (hard to miss that), Pinkie was being... well... Pinkie..., and... FS... You don't forget the crazy pony who burst in screaming "YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE ME" with a hoard of animals following.

However... wouldn't most of that make the mane 6 more infamous than famous? At least with the Canterlot upper echelon. Naturally it would have been changed regardless when Fancy Pants stepped in at the end of S&E, because he is a boss.

As for Fluttershy in Ponyville... I think she is well known as well. Anyone who has a pet probably either got it from her or went to her at some point in time. I bet even the vet goes to Fluttershy for some... difficult... animals. She is pretty much the keeper of wildlife in Ponyville, and is apparently the pet groomer of Ponyville. She just doesn't like to be in the limelight, but that doesn't mean she isn't well known. It's like JD Salinger... He was world famous, won awards, and he wanted to be left well alone.

And as for what Weesh said, I'd have agreed if AJ didn't have basically two celebrations for her, one for saving the town and one for the send off. Seems like a lot for just a run of the mill pony. I really think the mane 6 is well regarded in Ponyville, but not made a big deal of because of the close knit community. Twilight has done some crazy things though, and it wouldn't surprise me if ponies went to her to help them with their problems. The town changed when she arrived, when one pony changes everything... you take note more than others. In fact, I think the mane 6 would be better regarded because they ARE friends with Twilight, the protegee of Princess Celestia and all around super powerful unicorn. Though, I'm pretty certain she is also seen as eccentric. I'm pretty sure she is seen as eccentric everywhere. I mean, even in Canterlot the guards weren't surprised to see her sneaking around like that, neither was Celestia. She seems to have garnered a certain reputation, though is still well regarded (so long as she isn't having a breakdown or meltdown).

Don't forget Twi organized all of Winter Wrap Up, has come hoove-to-toe with many dangerous, mystical species (Hydra, Ursa Minor, Cockatrice, etc.), organized a trip to shoo off a dragon, and fought a chaos god -- in addition to all of the things she does for everypony. I'm sure there's more, but she's definitely well-known! Even around circa Trixie she was acknowledged as a powerful magic user -- and has been, since the pilot.

I think Canterlot is largely ignorant of Ponyville and its problems because they simply don't hear about them or do much interaction with Ponyville. If you think about it, the only one who really gets news about Ponyville is Celestia herself.

And as for what Weesh said, I'd have agreed if AJ didn't have basically two celebrations for her, one for saving the town and one for the send off. Seems like a lot for just a run of the mill pony. I really think the mane 6 is well regarded in Ponyville, but not made a big deal of because of the close knit community. Twilight has done some crazy things though, and it wouldn't surprise me if ponies went to her to help them with their problems. The town changed when she arrived, when one pony changes everything... you take note more than others. In fact, I think the mane 6 would be better regarded because they ARE friends with Twilight, the protegee of Princess Celestia and all around super powerful unicorn.

Parties are thrown in Ponyville for a relatively low threshold of achievement. Yes, they are well regarded, but they probably don't have status above our favorite elementary school teacher or cake makers.

Parties are thrown in Ponyville for a relatively low threshold of achievement. Yes, they are well regarded, but they probably don't have status above our favorite elementary school teacher or cake makers.

In town, they are much higher than that. At least I think so... Equestria as a whole, I wouldn't be surprised if only Rarity and Twilight are known. And not even that well. And RD in cloudsdale of course...

Twilight because we don't know what other errands Celestia had her run before Ponyville. She could have ran errands and done tasks for Celestia all over Equestria. She had been her protegee since she was a filly after all.

And rarity because of aforementioned reasons. (fashion, hoity toity, and sapphire shores)

I think Canterlot is largely ignorant of Ponyville and its problems because they simply don't hear about them or do much interaction with Ponyville. If you think about it, the only one who really gets news about Ponyville is Celestia herself.

This is something I was getting at in my post. Equestria doesn't seem to have a lot of news going on. Applejack might be well known in Ponyville for being a community leader, but can you name a community leader in a town 40 miles away from yours? Imagine how much harder it would be to know what is happening 40 miles away while only relying on word of mouth, mail, and maybe newspapers.

Rarity and Rainbow Dash have hit on some national fame, but like the Jesus example, they group up in Ponyville. People may be paying attention for civic pride but it could be like living next door to a world champion underwater hockey coach. Unless you know about underwater hockey he is just your neighbor.

As for flutters.. I think this will be brought up again in the future when she's being scared "You remember that time with the tornado to send the rain to clodusdale? YOU were the one that made it happen, YOU were the one that made a difference, and we need YOU to make a difference NOW!"

It might be brought up but by her friends or others in town. That incident won't make her famous any more then a worker on any project who does a poor job but helps out gets famous.