The Heart of an Adventurer (Phil the Time Wizard and SteelEagle) [ENDED]

RarityDash

"H-hey, Snowy! Two things! First off, I think I love you. Secondly, are you okay? Because I think we're about halfway through this course and if you need anyone to hold- carry, carry you, just say so and if not, it's MY turn to lead!"

Snowfall stopped actively listening after the first point. Her heart skipped, and she promptly fell off the other side of the narrow ledge she was still standing atop, collapsing face first into a similar shallow pit. She didn't even feel the pain this time though. Her head wasn't working right, or much at all for that matter. After a few seconds she forced herself up and slowly her mind started to move again.

She hadn't been expecting that. Not yet, and not delivered so suddenly and recklessly. Those just weren't words Snowfall heard very often, so they held an undeniably weight with her. She had been entirely caught off guard. Even moments later, she wasn't sure what to make of this revelation. How did she feel about Pathfinder? Could she say she returned her feelings? Was she expected to? Soon her mind went from completely stopped to racing rapidly.

Then she remembered she was still standing in the middle of a hole with Pathafinder no doubt staring at her. QUickly she limbed up onto the next ledge and gave an awkward laugh.

"I-I'm okay..." she said, blushing. "I just... I just need to regain my footing and I'll be fine."

She shook her head and gave a cough, trying to regain her focus. She wouldn't be able to complete this course if she didn't focus, and even though the prospect of Pathfinder carrying her was tempting, she really wanted to complete the course by her own power. For Pathfinder, this was easy stuff, but for her, it was proving something.

"Feel free to take the lead, I'll follow right behind!" she said in a confident voice

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder didn't need to be the smartest pony in all of Equestria to know what had just happened and that it was mostly her fault. As Snowy fell into the pit again, Pathfinder facehoofed. She was stupid. Very stupid. Unbelievably, almost inconceivably stupid. Not only to believe what she said but to say it so quickly. She racked her brain for superior options; were there any?

Of course!

She let out a great sigh just before Snowy pulled herself up. Of course, it was so simple! And here she was, calling herself an adventurer. Admissions of love were only supposed to come when you were in mortal peril, duh! That was the only way it worked. The fact she had forgotten it made her ashamed, as Daring's sister Derring had done it that exact way to Bravado in The Platinum Crown. She had written the stage version of that piece of art and she couldn't even remember one of its most important moments?! The shame!

"I-I'm okay..." Snowy said, blushing wildly, "I just... I just need to regain my footing and I'll be fine."

Pathfinder smiled and looked away, her own butterflies taking their cue. It was mostly about how embarrassed she was regarding the scene with Derring and Bravado in the underwater cave, but in the end it didn't matter as she noticed both of their cheeks had the same hue. Cute.

"Feel free to take the lead, I'll follow right behind!" Snowy said, her voice having regained its confidence.

Pathfinder nodded as she herself regained her composure. There was a time and place for more stilted and awkward flirting and eye-catching, and that time and place was called 'soon' and 'out of touristy-safe danger'. She saluted Snowy.

"Ay-ay, cap'n!" She said before leaping across the hole and, taking her time to insure that Snowy could follow closely. The following hurdles and gaps were of no great difficulty and after a few more minutes of what Pathfinder would term warm-ups, they were back on solid ground. Pathfinder trotted ahead...and the silence was deafening.

"So...wassup?"

"Ay-ay, cap'n!"

Pathfinder said with a salute as the deep blush Snowfall had only just noticed on her cheek's quickly vanished. Pathfinder had evidently noticed what she had said and connected it to Snowfall's little fall. Well that was kind of awkward. She was kind of glad that the other pony began to quickly run the course.

"Right! Here I go," Snowfall started, ready to leave the awkwardness of that one particular ledge behind for good. She made the first jump after Pathfinder and followed behind her closely. The course was good for her. The jumps and hurdles were just difficult enough for her to need to concentrate on them. She needed to focus on the course, so she had little time to think about what had just happened.

Keeping one eye on the course and one eye on Pathfinder a short distance ahead, Snowfall made short work of jump after jump. She found a nice groove, and built up considerable momentum. Maybe her jumps weren't as perfect as Pathfinders, but for a business mare from Stalliongrad, she was doing pretty good she had to say.

Soon, Snowfall could see the end of the section in sight. About time. The course was fun, but it was also demanding and exhausting. She was happy to see it end. She watched as Pathfinder landed at the end and prepared to do the same... Then she tripped at the last hurdle. She gave a low grunt as she tried to collect herself and then pull herself over, not an easy feat, since this particular hurdle was a higher one. Eventually, she got over and jumped toward the finish.

"I'm here... sorry... I..." Snowfall said, as she tried to catch up with Pathfinder, who she had ended up making wait a little longer than she would have liked.

She gave a sigh. "That section was a lot harder. Kind of glad it's done..."

She laughed as she realized Pathfinder probably hadn't even broken a sweat at something like that. The difference in skill was definitely evident. "Though for a seasoned adventurer, that was probably the same as a light stroll." She shook her head. "If I ever went on an adventure with you, I don't think I'd make it..."

Pathfinder.png

There was a momentary delay to Pathfinder's previous question, which for the briefest of moments panicked the mare. Snowy may have been so offended, scared, or creeped out that no words could escape. She may have started going back from whence they came in an effort to flee the crazed, immature adventure. The better part of her psyche scoffed at such notions, but the sheer fact they crossed her mind was enough to justify a look behind. Quickly, she snapped back to take a glance.

What she found was a far better alternative to Pathfinder's fear. Snowy had just had a minor problem with the last hurdle and was just now pulling herself up. It was to be expected, especially of a Pegasus who normally wasn't doing anything entirely too physical. Pathfinder's mental state let out a sigh, then berated itself for being silly enough to entertain decidedly un-adventureesque thoughts.

"I'm here... sorry... I...that section was a lot harder. Kind of glad it's done..." She said as she got her bearings, taking a deep breath and sighing. That section had been quite the doozy for a tourist trap, which led Pathfinder to think that the next phase was likely mental more than physical. Suddenly, Pathfinder wasn't feeling so confident!

Snowy gave another of her light laughs that made Pathfinder slightly more smitten every time she did it. "Though for a seasoned adventurer, that was probably the same as a light stroll," Snowy shook her head, which Pathfinder found herself doing as well almost in-sync. "If I ever went on an adventure with you, I don't think I'd make it..."

Pathfinder considered it. Maybe she had a point as she wasn't exactly the most stunning example of physical preparedness. For an rich executive she was marvellous but, well, lacking would be a kind descriptor for her as an adventurer. Then again, Pathfinder thought to herself as she stopped the robotic shaking of her her head with a hoof, some had called her a poor physical specimen as well.

"Nah, you'd be fine! There aren't any rules against flying in an adventure, except maybe traps designed to take out pegasi specifically. But really, it's all about just dustin' yourself off or pulling arrows outta your wings and just pushing on. Some say that when your hoof has been cracked open or your wing has an arrow in it that you need to get out. Well, yeah, if you aren't an adventurer. You know how many times I've failed a jump or set off a trap or generally just screwed something up? More than I can count and I keep on doing it. Every time I've been hurt or put into danger has been my own fault. But guess what? I power through it, and that's all it really takes is that willpower! And you have awesome, incredible, cute willpower so you'd be a very good adventurer, I think!" Pathfinder said before striking a dramatic pose, her own version of a pep talk being almost entirely animated with her hooves.

"Nah, you'd be fine! There aren't any rules against flying in an adventure, except maybe traps designed to take out pegasi specifically. But really, it's all about just dustin' yourself off or pulling arrows outta your wings and just pushing on. Some say that when your hoof has been cracked open or your wing has an arrow in it that you need to get out. Well, yeah, if you aren't an adventurer. You know how many times I've failed a jump or set off a trap or generally just screwed something up? More than I can count and I keep on doing it. Every time I've been hurt or put into danger has been my own fault. But guess what? I power through it, and that's all it really takes is that willpower! And you have awesome, incredible, cute willpower so you'd be a very good adventurer, I think!"

Snowfall grinned through the other pony's entire speech. It was a major confidence booster. It seemed really honest and upfront too. More than anything it was triumphant and just entirely true to who Pathfinder was as a pony.

"You really are incredible, Pathfinder. You inspire. I'm almost envious of how effortless you make it all look," Snow said in a low, warm voice. "And I'm not talking about the physical stuff here, even if that is every bit as incredible."

Snowfall giggled and shook her head. "I suppose I will have to accompany you some day then! Sure, after what happened to my father, it will set of red flags with every single member of the board at my company; it might even damage my reputation as a whole. But so what? It sounds amazing."

Pathfinder.png

The first sign that Pathfinder had done well enough to keep her date invested in herself and thus in the adventure was her sugary sweet smile. Mentally, Pathfinder sighed when she saw that.

"You really are incredible, Pathfinder. You inspire. I'm almost envious of how effortless you make it all look," Snowy's voice was barely above a whisper and yet packed hot with emotion. "And I'm not talking about the physical stuff here, even if that is every bit as incredible."

Pathfinder could only blush as the praise was hoisted on her. She wasn't deserving of any of it- she had more or less learned her lessons from Daring Do, after all. All rights and credit were deservedly the author's. She had just more or less paraphrased who Daring Do was though, admittedly, it was all an apt description of Pathfinder as well. Success was hers.

"I suppose I will have to accompany you some day then! Sure, after what happened to my father, it will set of red flags with every single member of the board at my company; it might even damage my reputation as a whole. But so what? It sounds amazing." Snowy said with a giggle.

Pathfinder immediately brightened up and bounded toward her date. Without thought, she gave her date a quick peck on the cheek and then turned towards the dark.

"OH YAY! That'd be so much more fun than just bopping around this non-adventure stuff! Why, there are several abandoned mines and caves in the area that I haven't checked out yet, plus the one with the mutants! I am pretty sure they're all clear, but you never know of some sort ancient lost gem! Ooh! Ohh! We can always check out a mountain nearby, 'cause they tend to have really interesting creatures and stuff inside. WHATCHA SAY, HUH?!" Pathfinder said as she stuck her face more or less into Snowy's face, no more than a few inches away with the widest grin possible.

As Snowfall finished speaking, her date suddenly jumped toward her and placed a quick kiss at her cheek. It made Snow blush a deep red and smile. She giggled some more. She was a little more used to how this pony could make her feel with these sudden moves.

"OH YAY! That'd be so much more fun than just bopping around this non-adventure stuff! Why, there are several abandoned mines and caves in the area that I haven't checked out yet, plus the one with the mutants! I am pretty sure they're all clear, but you never know of some sort ancient lost gem! Ooh! Ohh! We can always check out a mountain nearby, 'cause they tend to have really interesting creatures and stuff inside. WHATCHA SAY, HUH?!"

Pathfinder said with great enthusiasm after the kiss. She stayed there as she spoke, hovering just inches from Snowfall's face as she said it all. The closeness was too much for Snow to ignore. She pondered for a moment how to respond to that closeness. It gave her the perfect chance to reply to the kiss she had just received. Did she dare escalate things further? Or did she just reply with the same sort of kiss? It was a serious debate, but ultimately Snowfall decided that it was time for her to take the lead for once.

As Pathfinder finished speaking, she giggled again and then suddenly moved her head just forward enough to close the small gap between them, placing a gentle, brief kiss at the other pony's mouth. She then pulled back with playful quickness and giggled before pulling back entirely. She smiled as she looked at Pathfinder.

"There's only so much a pony like me can take in one day," Snowfall said, still smiling playfully. "Maybe this wasn't much for you, but I'm pretty sure I'll collapse from exhaustion if I go exploring mines and caves after all of this."

"However, for the second date, I think I'm open to just about anything," the mare added with a fond laugh.

Pathfinder.png

Snowy returned Pathfinder's kiss and the young mare could do little more than fall on her flank and throw her front hooves up to her snout, her legs kicking out and wiggling of their own accord as she let out an entirely immature giggle. Her cheeks went out into a deep red and her giggle continued for some time, her eyes closed. It felt good. Pretty good. very good. Kisses were the best. That's why she gave them to ponies she cared about and her mind was drawing a blank. The first time she had been kissed, she had been but a little filly. Then that stallion not long ago and now- well, this felt different. Plus, Snowy had something, probably gloss, on her lips.

"There's only so much a pony like me can take in one day. Maybe this wasn't much for you, but I'm pretty sure I'll collapse from exhaustion if I go exploring mines and caves after all of this. However, for the second date, I think I'm open to just about anything," Snowy said, her playful smile and laugh adding the emotion that Pathfinder had a hard time hearing because she was too busy being overwhelmed by sheer bliss at being kissed.

Pathfinder got back up to her feet and tried to suppress her smile. She failed. She tried again. She failed. She tried again and then failed. Trying to keep composure when your heart was completely playing tiddly winks with your mind was near impossible. She raised her hoof to her mouth and brought it across, taking a deep breath as she replaced her wide smile with a very slight, contained grin.

"Well, I guuuuueeeesssssss we can do something for our second date. But to get there, we have to get past this. Huzzah!" She yelled, leaping away gailly from Snowy as she skipped into the black.

Pathfinder really could be so very cute. Snowfall had expected a cute reaction, but what she received was a little more than expected. Pathfinder was bouncy and smiley, and completely unable to contain herself. Snow giggled some more. She had made the right call. The Stalliongrad mare couldn't help but feel a soaring warmth and fondness as she watched the other pony gleefully skip about, after having initially collapsed outright.

"Well, I guuuuueeeesssssss we can do something for our second date. But to get there, we have to get past this. Huzzah!"

Pathfinder said when she was finally able to say anything. She skipped right ahead, not wasting a moment. Snow followed after her.

"Indeed, we should probably finish the remaining stretch of course before we discuss what's next for us," Snowfall said, still all smiles.

"So what is next for this thing anyway?" she found herself asking as she stared ahead. In the kisses and fond thoughts, Snowfall had taken her mind entirely off the obstacle course. She didn't know what to expect at all for the next part. If the progression so far was any indicator though, it would be the most rigorous stretch of course yet.

Pathfinder.png

"Indeed, we should probably finish the remaining stretch of course before we discuss what's next for us,"

There was a great amount of sense in those words, Pathfinder couldn't deny. On more than a few occassions she had been guilty of doing just that, charging forward without taking care of previous challenges left unconquered. In an adventure that could either be a minor footnote during the escape, or it could be an incredibly dangerous mistake that imperiled both her and the success of her mission. While there was no danger of death in this situation, the terrible possibility of being dishonest and dishonorable on a date was terrible. She nodded to her Snowy and continued to trot, deciding against opening her wings and flying away against the rules so as to get past the easy stuff.

"So what is next for this thing anyway?"

Pathfinder thought long and hard about this as she continued trotting in the dark, her hooves making the distinctive clop-clop as they echoed. What could they have in store that would be nullified by wings? What-

-Her hooves were stuck in the ground, and with every movement to try and move them, she sunk deeper.

"Ahh, cool. Artificial quicksand!"

As they continued forward into a dark stretch of rocky terrain, Pathfinder in the lead, suddenly the adventurer stopped moving forward. Snowfall could see her body start to sink slightly. She gasped in surprise, certainly not expecting this development. She herself stopped at the edge of the quicksand pit, opting not to follow her date into its depths.

"Ahh, cool. Artificial quicksand!"

Pathfinder seemed more mildly impressed than any sort of worried. Made sense. This pony surely encountered the genuine article on a regular basis. Artificial quicksand, surely with a safe bottom underneath it wasn't anything for her, but something that was cool.

"Hmm... so how do these scenes go for Daring Do..." Snowfall said as she tried to think back, laughing as she thought back to her fillyhood reading material. "You don't struggle against it or it pulls you in deeper. Instead you have somepony pull you up by force, right?"

"But what should I use to pull you out?" she asked, a little puzzled. "I don't think I have any rope or anything..."

Pathfinder.png

"Hmm... so how do these scenes go for Daring Do... you don't struggle against it or it pulls you in deeper. Instead you have somepony pull you up by force, right? But what should I use to pull you out? I don't think I have any rope or anything..."

Pathfinder nodded as if a proud momma, as her date was quite right on both counts. These things were commonly used earlier on in the Daring Do novels, each with a variation. It eventually became difficult to come up with a scenario where she couldn't use a rope or wings to power her way out and it ended, but it was a re-occurring fan device, especially one powered with unicorn magic that could cause some sort of distortion field. Pathfinder had a re-occurring villain, Neighdowell, use just that in several instances to fix Daring Do in place. Then it usually detoured swiftly into more carnal territory she'd blush at and then have to keep to her private journal. Pathfinder shook herself to re-purify her thoughts, which worked well enough mentally but had a rather foolish physical setback.

She sank a little faster. Okay, it was really artificial- she wasn't struggling anymore and it still pulled her down! For all the money they sunk into this place, couldn't they have invested more into their fake traps? Pathfinder sighed.

"I'm not even moving and its still sinking. This is very lame Snowy! You'd think they'd at least try to make it realistic!" She pouted as if a petulant child, desparately wishing she could paw her way out of the quicksand so she could forget such a rapid disappointment.

Pathfinder racked her brain trying to find a solution without wingpower and without the contents in the saddlebag, as she needed them for real adventures. She continued to sink until she was buried up to her stomach on all fours. The fact she was still stinking caused her to lower her head in shame-

-Directly into the artificial quicksand. The realization she had basically dunked her head into the mixture had come too late to the disappointed pony, and her efforts to free herself fell short of successful. The pressure was intense and ear-splitting as the artificial mix poured into every available crevice. A moment's panic set in before Pathfinder's more steeled backbone kicked in, unwilling or unable to admit the danger. She could feel it rising; she had maybe ten seconds before her wings would be inoperable. If Snowy couldn't figure a way out by then, she'd have to wingpower her way out. It may have been dishonorable but she'd take that after fainting in this stuff.

Well, that assumed she had enough oxygen! Ooooh, this was becoming fun! Hear heart started skipping and if she could have smiled, Pathfinder's grin would have been broad.

"I'm not even moving and its still sinking. This is very lame Snowy! You'd think they'd at least try to make it realistic!"

Pathfinder complained as she started to sink into the sand. it seemed like she was more upset with the inaccuracy of the obstacle than the peril of sinking into sand. That was so like her. Snowfall had to giggle. This pony continued to be incredible.

Or, maybe "incredible" was an odd choice of words. Just as Snow had those thoughts, Pathfinder lowered her head-- and it sunk into the sand like the rest of her. The fake quicksand was pretty harmless Snow was sure. A pony being deprived of oxygen changed that, however. Pathfinder had unwittingly changed a fairly harmless, fun obstacle into something that might prove kind of dangerous, especially if she couldn't get the right thrust on her wings.

Snow stiffened up, suddenly a bit panicked. She wasn't sure what to pull Pathfinder out. There didn't seem to be much to use nearby. No ropes, no vines, nothing, just high rocky walls and a lot of darkness. Snow was unclothed and had little on her being. The only thing she did have was a single saddlebag. There was nothing in it that would help. It contained her rather full bit purse, identification, business cards, some cosmetics and not a lot else. It however was durable and had a fairly long strap to it. She undid it quickly and held it out by the end of the strap.

Snow nodded. She hoped the pony could still hear her well enough. She spoke loudly, just in case. "Pathfinder! I'm going to throw my bag toward you. Try and get a hold of it and I'll pull you up!"

She did just as promised, throwing the bag onto the sand just in front of Pathfinder, still holding the strap firmly in her mouth. She hoped this would work. She wasn't sure Pathfinder would be able to get a good enough grip or even find the bag in the sand.

Pathfinder.png

"finder! I'm going to-my-you. Try-a-of-you up!"

If only Pathfinder could understand what her date was saying, she guessed it would be a lot better. In an adventure story, usually the hero would miss out on some important detail in this scenario. And this was turning into some sort of adventure story, if a little silly and un-exciting. Better than before, but still, somewhat boring. She tried shaking her head to clear her mind, but found that movement rewarded her with the awareness that she was close to drowning in fake quicksand. Disconcerting and entirely without any sort of excitement, as she doubted books would be written about the awesome adventure who was killed by a tourist trap. Well, that was just one possibility.

The saddlebag slammed close by, and Pathfinder pieced together the plan. It wasn't the best, but they had little else. Great exertion of effort led to her launching the saddlebag under her chin. She then did what was one supposed to do when in quicksand: Wiggle the legs as slowly as possible in order to reduce viscosity, slowly spread her arms and legs far apart and lying prone to increase her surface area, which should allow her to float. And if that failed, her wings would help. She smiled, though that let a little of the decidedly cinnamon texture to seep into her mouth- she'd allow Snowy to try and rescue her first.

Why, she was starting to get so excited, she was completely ignoring her increasing lack of oxygen!

Snowfall didn't get any response, and quite frankly she wasn't sure it had worked. She was beginning to get terrified and considering taking flight to go get help from one of the officials who ran the place, but just then she felt a slight tug at her bag. Had Pathfinder gotten a hold of it? She sure hoped so.

Pathfinder was the most genuine and wonderfully free pony Snow had ever met. She was the sort of pony Snowfall had always hoped to find. Now that she had found her, she risked losing her like this after only a few moments in each other's company? She wouldn't stand for that.

"Hold on tight! I'm going to start pulling now!" she shouted, a little frantic, as she started to pull the bag up by the strap.

She still wasn't sure how well it would work, but she was committed to seeing the other pony safe. She pulled tautly at the bag, even taking to wing and flying a small distance off the ground to give her added leverage. She couldn't tell how it was working. She hoped Pathfinder had found a firm grip. She wouldn't last much longer at this rate.

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder could hear nothing but the increasingly frantic pulsing of her own blood through her oxygen deprived brain, and felt nothing but the soft granulites of the artificial quicksand pourously rushing over and under her body. They sure had gone to the trouble of making it feel right, even if it didn't work right. You know what would have been better, Pathfinder thought to herself as she felt the first harsh tug of the saddlebag pulling her head up.

After a few more tugs, her face breached the surface and she took in a huge breath of twelve, her eyes boggly and swirly as oxygen rushed back into whatever available opening there was. Snowy may not have been the strongest of all the mares, but she wasn't weak. pathfinder appreciated that. Oh yeah, and she liked being alive. As Snowy continued doing what she did, Pathfinder's back hooves touched the ground. Soon, Snowy had pulled Pathfinder right side up and she was standing on her back hooves awkwardly.

"Good job, Snowy! You can stop pulling now!" Pathfinder said with all the proud momentum of a momma bear to a cub.She shrugged off the saddlebag and slowly but surely made her way across the quicksand. It had been built with four hooves in mind, not two, and as she stood high above on her two back hooves, she could only imagine how awkward it looked. It certainly felt awkward as she slowly made her way across the quicksand and finally over the other side. She took a few deep breaths before her head perked back up.

"Whew! Well, that was a LOT more fun than it was gonna be, for sure! Okay Snowy, all you gotta do is take it all very slowly, and then you won't sink as fast. Don't stop, it tries to sink you if you do that, too," Pathfinder said, chuckling as she started brushing off the caked on quicksand.

"Good job, Snowy! You can stop pulling now!"

Snowfall smiled ecstatically as Pathfinder finally surfaced. She let go of her bag, which Snowy shook off on the other side of the quicksand pit as she made it across.

"Whew! Well, that was a LOT more fun than it was gonna be, for sure! Okay Snowy, all you gotta do is take it all very slowly, and then you won't sink as fast. Don't stop, it tries to sink you if you do that, too,"

Snowfall giggled at Pathfinder's disposition after what to her had been a rather frightening ordeal. Honestly, just what sort of life did this pony leave where nearly drowning in quicksand was something she considered fun? She wondered what things this pony was actually scared of, or if there even was anything.

"After all that, I'm half tempted just to fly across..." Snowfall admitted through a sigh, finally letting herself calm back down. "But that would be the easy way out..."

Snowfall nodded and started to trot forward, into the quicksand. She couldn't cut corners, not with Pathfinder watching her. She would conquer this quicksand no matter what. It felt strange on her hooves, which she could feel sink slightly. She started tread through it very slowly, all the while looking at Pathfinder. She was moving laterally pretty good, and not sinking much, but then, when the end was just in sight, her body started moving just a little faster. She sank considerably more, panicked and came to a stop, which only made her sink more. She pushed against the quicksand, but that didn't help things.

She pushed herself slowly to the end, eventually even getting her front hooves free from the sand and onto safe ground, but at that point, she was pretty deep into the sand and couldn't force herself all the way up. She looked upward at Pathfinder, feeling more embarrassed than actually afraid.

"Sorry... I.. guess I couldn't make it all the way across without--" she started, her head still entirely above the sand. "You think you could help me up somehow?" she added with a shy smile.

Pathfinder.png

"After all that, I'm half tempted just to fly across...but that would be the easy way out..."

How very true! It was the easy way out. And the smart way out. Contrary to popular belief, adventurers weren't dumb. If this was a real trap, Pathfinder would have advised her to just fly over. Luckily, this was all fake and therefore the only trouble would be if she messed up. Like Pathfinder had messed up. But then again, that was fun so maybe it'd be fun of Snowy messed up? Nah, because then she might get scared because she wasn't as experienced and Pathfinder was sure fear was supposed to be delayed until at least the fifth date. Or was it third? She wasn't sure about the etiquette of adventurers and dating, to be honest.

As she was contemplating the facets of a dating adventurer's life, Snowy moved well through the quicksand. Until the end, when a moment of panic ended her near-perfect run, her front hooves extended over to open ground.

"Sorry... I.. guess I couldn't make it all the way across without- You think you could help me up somehow?"

Pathfinder looked at her date for a second blankly, before settling on a somewhat mischievous grin. She patted Snowy on the head.

"Well, I'm not so sure I shouldn't just let you pull yourself out. I mean, it isn't like you did anything for me!" Pathfinder added at the end of this her tongue sticking out of her mouth, followed by a giggle as she turned away from Snowy dramatically for a moment. She then wrapped her tail around Snowy's front hooves and pulled with all the strength she could for a few seconds.

"I'll get you out now, but now you take the lead!"

"Well, I'm not so sure I shouldn't just let you pull yourself out. I mean, it isn't like you did anything for me!"

Snowfall gave a little pout. Hadn't she just helped this pony out of her own quicksand related ordeal? No wait, Pathfinder was just being silly with her. She had to shake her head. This pony was just acting difficult to get to Snow. The feel of her tail wrapping firmly around Snow's hooves made that clear.

"I'll get you out now, but now you take the lead!"

Snowfall smiled as the other pony began to tug her up and out of the sand. It worked, and soon she was able to climb up and out. As she came onto solid ground with Pathfinder she giggled a little.

"Maybe you're onto something. That actually was kind of fun in it's own way," she said with a smile. She then stepped up and placed a soft kiss at Pathfinder's cheek. "Thanks for saving me..."

Snowfall gave a short laugh as she looked down. Some sand still stuck to her. My, she couldn't remember ever being this dirty. It didn't feel that bad however. She usually kept herself immaculate not because she had some hang up about cleanliness but because she wanted to set the right impression. Here with Pathfinder, not being afraid to get a little rougher and messier was definitely the right impression to send.

Speaking of coated in sand, Snowfall looked down at the saddlebag she had used to help Pathfinder, which she had since recovered. It was pretty well ruined, which was a shame considering it was one of a kind, made for her by a celebrated designer in Trottignham and had come at great cost. She shook her head and then laughed. It had been put to good use at least. She could be satisfied in that.

"Okay," she said, preparing to take the lead as Pathfinder had suggested. "Here I go!"

Snowfall started to gallop ahead until the course opened up a little more, allowing more light. There didn't seem to be much in the way of obstacles for a while, that was until the course ended in a dead halt. Snow stopped in her tracks, not understanding at first. There was nothing there but a rocky wall which reached high into the sky, going almost straight up. She didn't get it at all until she noticed there were hoof-sized notches in the wall at irregular intervals. The next obstacle was for them to climb this high cliff.

Again, this was the sort of obstacle that in practical situations would hardly be a hindrance as they could just fly to the top. Here in this monitored course, that wasn't going to work though. They had to reach the top through nothing but their own hooves. Sure, they had wings to fall back on if they did fall, which lessened the danger, but it still seemed quite physical. Nodding, Pathfinder started to scale the steep cliff from the bottom, her hooves slowly moving from ledge to ledge, bringing her higher and higher.

Pathfinder.png

"Thanks for saving me..."

Pathfinder gave a little bow. She had saved more than a few mares and stallions in her lifetime, often from perils she had a hoof in creating, but didn't really count this amongst one of them. After all, she wasn't in any real danger. Still, pathfinder would take any morsel of gratitude given to her.

Snowy's fierce gallop surprised Pathfinder, who expected a modicum of stillness from her date. She had, after all, just been sucked in by quicksand. Pathfinder could only guess that it was a better outcome than even the best board meeting. Within a few minutes, they had reached the final(likely) obstacle of the set, a rock climb. Pathfinder had never climbed up a wall before, seeing as how she had wings and would fly over. Still, no trepidation- as Snowy climbed up the rock face, pathfinder knew she couldn't lag behind.

She placed her right hoof into a indent, then her left, and started pulling herself slowly. In fact, she was even slower than Snowy, much to her own personal chagrin. She grimaced as she pulled herself up. It wasn't that she was slow or that Snowy was faster, it was that she was the adventurer and Snowy the CEO. It was emberassing. She felt flustered by her lack of success. Maybe she could blame it on her lack of sleep, her hoof hurting from the rope, her lack of oxygen. Maybe. Or maybe she was being lazy. She redoubled her efforts.

"Hey, have you ever rock climbed before? You sure look good!" Pathfinder asked with a laugh, thouugh a smidgen of bitterness flavored her. Hoof after hoof after hoof after hoof, up and up, hoof after hoof after hoof. Sweat. Hoof after hoof. She started moving faster. Hoof after hoof. Faster.

She missed an indent and her hoof smacked against the wall, Pathfinder losing her balance and falling off of the rock face. Immediately, her wings opened up and she hovered in place for a moment, her hat nearly falling off. She re-adjusted it and gave a pout, crossing her hooves in front of her and gliding to the top, landing with her back to the top of the rock face for a second.

"Stupid thing, stupid obstacle that doesn't make any sense, can't fly even though that doesn't make sense, stupid thing isn't at all realistic, stupid thing is...stupid..." She whispered in an increasingly frustrated tone until she gave a sigh, silent for a few seconds. She then turned around with a plastered smile over the side.

"Haha, well, I seem to have fallen. Come on up and catch up!"

"Hey, have you ever rock climbed before? You sure look good!"

Snow could hear Pathfinder call up to her as she began climbing up. Snowfall was kind of surprised that she was making the progress she was. She had patience to spare though, and that seemed to be the trick. Testing your hoofing, making sure each step was secure and moving slowly. It was simple enough. It did take quite a bit of strength, but Snow didn't think it was that bad.

"No, this my first ti--" Snow started to reply to her date below. She cut herself off suddenly when she noticed some aggravated sounds followed by the distinct flapping of wings. She watched then as her date flew to the top of the cliff.

"Stupid thing, stupid obstacle that doesn't make any sense, can't fly even though that doesn't make sense, stupid thing isn't at all realistic, stupid thing is...stupid..."

Pathfinder was clearly quite frustrated. Snowfall had to giggle a little, finding it kind of cute. She supposed this was the least practical obstacle in the entire course. Why would a pegasus ever have to climb a mountain by hoof, after all? Well, perhaps in the case that her wing was damaged in a mountainside crash or some such situation, but even then it seemed highly specialized.

"Haha, well, I seem to have fallen. Come on up and catch up!"

Snowfall continued up at her same gradual pace until she finally reached the top. She then pulled herself up and over onto solid ground and smiled at Pathfinder. She wasn't sure what to say. She felt accomplished for doing something Pathfinder wasn't able to, but at the same time, teasing the other pony too much about it might make her kind of angry. She didn't want to make things too awkward by ignoring it either.

"Not a lot of rock climbing in a seasoned adventurer's life, I take it?" she chimed with a small giggle and a warm smile. She then started to look ahead. "So what's left? Is that it?"

Pathfinder.png

"Not a lot of rock climbing in a seasoned adventurer's life, I take it? So what's left? Is that it?"

The feathers on Pathfinder's wings shot out a little as she gave an exasperated sigh. She souldn't be this upset but by Celestia's dear grace, she was. No, she didn't climb up cliffs. She flew over them. Or used ropes. Not her hooves. They weren't designed for it! They were designed to...well, for a pegasi, maybe only relief from flying. Which wasn't allowed here. Which made her a little miffed. She shook her head and tried to put on a brave face, but her severe annoyance was clear.

"No, not ANY rock climbing. I use ropes or I fly. A pegasi doesn't have to climb anything!" Pathfinder added with a joyless laugh, shaking her head again and again. She was miffed. But that wasn't Snowy's fault. She perked her ears up and started trotting forward.

"And I think so, Snowy. I have a hard time imagining that they'll have much else!" She shot into the dark, which was seemingly gaining in imperceptibility. For a course that was supposed to end, it sure didn't act the part.

"No, not ANY rock climbing. I use ropes or I fly. A pegasi doesn't have to climb anything!"

Snowfall forced herself not to laugh or smile too much. Pathfinder was clearly legitimately angry at the course and her failures. Snowfall found it kind of cute in a way, but she didn't want Pathfinder to think for an instant she was making light of her frustration. Instead, she decided to mostly be quiet and give Pathfinder her space. She'd be there for the other pegasus when she calmed down. She just followed after her date as she started trotting ahead.

"And I think so, Snowy. I have a hard time imagining that they'll have much else!"

Snow wasn't so sure there wasn't at least one more obstacle in store for them. Sure, the quicksand pit and the rock wall were far more rigorous and time consuming than any one thing in the first three sections, but still just two obstacles in this last stretch seemed a little light. Furthermore, they were keeping it dark again, which made her all but positive there was one more surprise. A rigorous climb, though difficult didn't have the punch she'd expect from a final trial.

"I wouldn't be so sure," Snow said cautiously as she followed closely after Pathfinder. "I think there might be something le--"

Snowfall cut herself off when she realized the darkness had only gotten worse. The path had led them into some manner of tunnel or cave where no sunlight penetrated. Snowfall could barely see the pony by her side, much less her surroundings. She had no clue what to expect, but she soon grew anxious. She hoped Pathfinder used caution, even in her indignant state.

"Let's move carefully..." she said, worry just audible in her voice.

Pathfinder.png

"Let's move carefully..."

This was always solid advice on an adventure, and triply so in the dense darkness that seemed to be pervase in this obstacle course. She wanted to try and ignore the possibility of anything else embarrassing her, but as usual Snowy was right. Was she ever wrong? Some part of Pathfinder really wished she would say just one thing that made little sense. That would have made her feel ten times better. sadly, she doubted that would happen.

They wandered into the darkness for more than a few extra moments, pensive hoof after pensive hoof as they probed it with touch. Nothing else was working, the well-mannered smells and sounds of the course melding into a well-defined nothingness.

Until Pathfinder stepped on a tile. The path ahead, the whole thing, lit up in an eerie blue and red pattern of lights, revealing that the next fifty feet was made up of interlocking tiles and panels, various shapes inscribed on them. On the walls were hundreds of open holes and underneath them, some sort of water source opened up- in between the microscopic cracks in the floor, a cool draft of air.

"Aha! Appears I was wrong, Snowy,"

"Aha! Appears I was wrong, Snowy,"

Pathfinder said, as Snowfall stared ahead, unsure what to make of what lay before them.

"Now this looks like some kind of complicated trap right out of a Daring Do book," Snowfall started, her mind immediately going to the animal tile puzzle in the first Daring Do novel. The cool air coming from below made her pretty sure it water beneath them rather than lava however.

"Hmm, so, if we step wrong, the floor will probably open up and drop us in a pool beneath," Snow said, as she looked around the room. "Something might come out of those holes as well should we mess up..."

"I would assume the puzzle has something to do with the shapes on the tiles or maybe the colors?" she started with a nod. "What does our expert adventurer think?"

Snowfall smiled. Pathfinder should be good at this. She was such a Daring Do enthusiast and had been to real ruins with real traps. Surely she would be able to figure this one out and recover from her rock wall related frustration.