[Bareback Gulch] A Stop at the Rhinestone

Martini Paradise cheerfully returned the warm smile her orange unicorn patron gave.  It was nice to see him in high spirits again.  It may seem silly to others, but she sincerely desired all her patrons to leave the bar a little happier then when they arrived, and not just because of the drinks either.  It was a personal goal of hers, the most important thing about her job - making people smile.

Maybe it was the image of her home that got him to smile, not that she could blame him.  She really did miss the island, and regretted having to leave, but someday ... someday she would return.  "It is nice ... The nicest place you can imagine when its home", she sighed a small but happy sigh.

Upon hearing him talk about Rockington, her ears perked a little, it was the first time any patron described it to her.  "I never been to any of the griffin lands.  I guess no matter how desperate I was for a job, I never contemplated going there - not sure I'd be welcomed at all!  At least they welcomed you, just goes to show they definitely must have seen potential to let you study there," she winked, hoping to boost his confidence as well as his mood.  "I am sure you have all sort of interesting tales to tell about the Griffin lands".

Upon hearing him asking her recommendation for a drink, she thought for a few seconds, he seemed like a healthy, good size stallion, not tipsy at all.  "Hard to go wrong with a classic! Whiskey on the rocks with a twist. Or would you like something lighter, hon?"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh no. I was born there." Ashton corrected. "My Mother, Sister, and I were all born in Rockwington. It was my Grandfather who did all the respect earning." He thought for a moment. Maybe that wasn't all true. He supposed he had earned a small part of it too.

"That would be fine." He didn't really know the much about drinks so everything sounded equally foreign. He continued talking while she prepared it. "Some Griffins are pretty accepting though. Some of the Diamond Dogs are pretty nice too, if a little rough. And the rest of them aren't exactly mean. Most of them just don't think much of Ponies." It was a tricky subject. Hard to understand and harder to explain.

"Which is too bad really, we could learn a lot from them. See that parasol Miss Lola has?" he said pointing back to the table he started at. "Shoots lightning. Its amazing. And anyone could use it. No complex spells or anything."

Martini Paradise's brow raised in surprise when she heard a good chunk of the unicorn's family was born in a griffon city. Considering the historically cold relations between ponies and griffons, she had hardly ever met any pony who lived there, and she had never even considered the possibility of a pony family living for generations in the center of griffondom. She was both slightly taken aback and curiously excited at what she saw as his exotic upbringing. "That had to be different, growing up among all those griffons! I'm glad to hear that not all of the stories about them not caring for us ponies are true. I have to admit, I have always been a little frightened of them, with them being such big and powerful predators and all."

Martini normally didn't like to admit to her lingering biases, as it wasn't usually good for customer relations, but she sensed that he was the understanding sort, living and working with so many different species. Griffons and Diamond Dogs did he say? Now she was even more curious! She had never even met a Diamond Dog! She wondered what they were like.

She kicked the liquor cabinet behind her, hiding the way her telekinesis bumped the bottle of whiskey down, making it look like she knew just the way to kick the shelves to shake it loose. She caught it on her forehoof, setting it spinning in a circle as she floated a tumbler down to scoop up some ice. She tapped the mouth of the bottle on the rim of the glass to stop the spinning and start the whiskey pouring, golden and wonderful, into the glass to cover the ice. She tossed the bottle up into the air in a graceful arc, her telekinesis giving it a 'nudge' of assistance to make it thump impressively back into place on the shelf, and drew a small spiral of a lemon peel from its cup, with her hoof. She rubbed the twist of lemon peel around the rim once, twice, then dropped it into the glass and slid it across the bar to the stallion.

Listening more intently to his extraordinary tales of other species, she was more surprised when he mentioned that the pink, feathered griffon's parasol somehow shot lightening, but without magic! Martini eyed him suspiciously, but he seemed completely serious, no matter how far-fetched it seemed. It was built with lightening inside or made it somehow? She cocked her head slightly to the side, trying to figure out how that could possibly happen. Looking back at the orange unicorn more intently, her smile curious as she laid her front hooves on the countertop, she said, "Hon, those are some bizarre and astonishing things you are telling me. I'm curious, what are Diamond Dogs like? And how can a parasol possible hold and rain down lighting? Without magic even! You really have me confounded!" She chuckled lightly, as these were, without a doubt, the best stories she had heard for a long time at any bar.

sterling.png

Sterling, ever the perfect hostess, offered a charming smile in response to Lola's agreement to see about staying here the next time in town and gave no reaction to the smug expression the griffin offered following the statement. The pony offered a slight shake of her head in quiet response, no - no business rivals, but that should have made some sense, the few griffins that passed through here were not "business" or "professional" types, at least not usually, in fact it comes to some surprise that Lola was stopping in to the owner.

As the griffin went on to details Sterling listened both out of curiosity and courtesy. Sterling seemed to glance away, recalling the time that Lola spoke about and the strange darkness that had settled over Equestria.. "I'm afraid I'm very much out of the loop on that story myself, I've not had travelers from out that way in quite awhile. News doesn't travel quite as fast out in these parts when their aren't ponyfolk to pass it along. Truth be told you'll probably learn more about it once you head on your way - I assume you are headed in that direction if you are coming through the Ridge?"

Between this brief pause in conversation Sterling cast only a quick glance over her shoulder back to her barkeep and the other guest and smiled in satisfaction. This is was perfect! It was so nice having the chatter in the background, knowing the saloon wasn't empty as it had been for the past few weeks.

"Ah, I understand. And yes, actually, I was heading straight to the source itself, as it were. To Canterlot, the city of magic and whatnot. Though I'm not just seeking news of current events, I'm heading there to research magic. If I can find a way to replicate some of the more unique effects of unicorn magic through technology, it could revitalize the whole griffin empire, not to mention put my clan at the top of the pecking order."

She smiled. "Of course, it's not just us who would benefit either. I also wish to strengthen relations between our countries and increase trade between us. In fact, if I'm successful, you may find yourself with significantly more travelers through here than you are used to."

"Oh no. Its true. At least partially." he tapped his chin with his hoof. "I guess its more a difference in attitude. I can't really explain it. I've only seen it from my side myself and my friends tell me I'm pretty much half Griffin." He smiled. He assumed his friends were exaggerating but he felt like he got treated fair enough in town. "I suppose that's partially because my Grandfather insisted I go to school with them. My sister and I were the only ponies in the class. We didn't just learn how to think like Griffins we learned to be Griffins. Er. So to speak."

He stopped for a moment when Martini started making the drink. It was impressive how she could maintain her balance while preforming magic like that. Whenever Ashton wanted to do a spell he pretty much had to stop moving and close his eyes. Being able to not only move freely but also to spin a bottle on her hoof was nothing short of amazing to him.

"Wow." was all he could manage when she set down the drink. He tried taking a sip and coughed a little. Very different from what he just had. "I've never seen anything like that."

"Too bad I never learned anything like that in class but I guess Griffins aren't know for Magical prowess." he sighed. Sometimes he thought it would have been nice to go to a pony school instead. Sure he learned a lot more about technology but maybe he would know more about magic if he had proper schooling.

"Miss Lola didn't explain it to me. You might have to ask her. It could be somewhat secret for all I know. I'm guessing it stores the electricity and then somehow releases it when its triggered. It must be really new though. She's a Silverbeak and a scientist, she's going to have some things I've never even heard of."

"Diamond dogs are a bit mix. Many are very pleasant. Two of my best friends are Diamond dogs. Others just want to keep to themselves. Some however, will use their knowledge of the tunnels and extort a 'toll' or worse." he grimaced a little. He had been caught more than once and forced to give up all of his gems that he had found. "Those types usually stay underground and don't go far from the caves. If you run into any in town they're probably friendly or just want to do some business."

"Some can be a bit weird but the nice ones are pleasant enough. I do more working with them than Griffins. If I take both my friends with me we find so many more gems. Even after splitting it three ways we're each probably taking home more than four times what I could dig up on my own. The guide me through the tunnels, I find the gems, and then we dig. It works out well for everyone." Ashton beamed. He took a lot of pride in this arrangement. He could even bring home more gems than his Grandfather with this arrangement.

Martini Paradise smiled warning listening to the orange unicorn go one about his life among the griffins. He seemed sincerely content talking about the subject, and it was clear it brought back some positive memories for him. "if you say you're practically half Griffin, then they must be nice as you're a real sweetheart of a stallion", she winked, being a little playfully flirty, partly to help make him more relaxed, partly because she just wanted to flirt with him.

She blushed slightly at the compliment he made over her skills as a bartender. It was her specialty of course, mixing drinks, and she was very confident in her abilities. Still, it was always a thrill to hear the astonished gasps and appreciative calls from the audience, no matter the size. "I never went to any sort of magic school for this hon, I'm just self-taught. Every pony has a special talent of some kind, and this is mine. It took years and years of practice to do, ever since I was a little foal at my parent's tropical stand." She felt a little introspective, and tapped her chin with her hoof, "actually, I never had any real schooling beyond foal age really, so I'm happy to hear you managed a full education. You're likely a much smarter pony than I."

She continued to listen to his stories, looking a little confused over the parasol that his griffin companion had, not entirely understanding what he meant no matter how detailed he explained it. The idea of some device making electricity without magic was just so alien to her. She was sure he was telling the truth, she just couldn't wrap her mind around the concept and looked visibly bewildered.

What really got her in rapt attention was his tale about the Diamond Dogs. It fascinated her; she had never met a single one and had heard only legends, mostly by drunk prospectors who preferred tall yarns to any truthfulness. Their inebriated stories were so farcical that everypony in the bar knew it was just fibbing. She noticed something else too - how he mentioned he seemed to do extremely well at collecting gems with the Diamond Dogs. The glow of pride spread over his face - the first self-confidence she'd seen in him tonight. Perhaps therein lay his special talent and ability. "So, how do you find the gems for them? You must have some sort of special skill for that?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Uh, Thank you" he replied as he felt his cheeks reddening again. "It's easier when you have such a charming bartender." he never really had anyone chat him up like this. Nobody really in his species range back home. It felt a little awkward but he couldn't say he completely hated it either.

"Griffin schools do go on a bit longer generally. I think basic pony schooling stops a year or two sooner. Still, I bet there are a lot things you know that I don't. Griffins tend to pass over the topics of magic and cutie marks." Sure he got a little home schooling in the subjects but he sometimes felt that neither of his parents were particularly good instructors. "So I'd say we're about even."

"Special? Maybe. As far as I know my Grandfather tweaked a gold finding spell so it could find gems as well. As far as I know our family is the only one who uses this variation. Though I suppose there are other spells out there." he had heard of a few other spells before. Usually when his mother was trying to scope out new places to sell their products too. Though many unicorns carefully guarded their signature spells. It wouldn't make sense to just give those to the competition. "I'm not that great at the spell but since Sienna knows where the best tunnels are and Jill is great at digging it still works out. But I'm pretty sure my special skill isn't organization or anything like that. It just naturally came together since we were already friends."

• 2 weeks later...

Martini Paradise visibly blushed at his kind words. She really enjoyed this part of her job - chatting with the customers, getting them to feel more comfortable, more at ease. The orange unicorn was no exception; indeed, it seemed more paramount to her to make sure he could relax, as he seemed not entirely comfortable around other ponies. She'd never seen anything like it before.

"Well I remember the lesson on cutie marks, although I don't think it actually helped any of us foals get one." Martini tapped her hoof to her chin as she thought about it. "Mine actually came to me one day when the folks forgot to open our tropical beverage stand on the beach, and I had to run the place all alone for the first time." Martini chuckled, "can you image, this little foal with barely any magic running around behind a counter trying to mix drinks for everyone? I'm sure it must have been quite a sight for the tourists! Scary as it was for me, it was also exhilarating!" Martini closed her eyes for a moment, reminiscing. "I was so busy, and having such a good time, that I didn't even realize I'd gotten my cutie mark until one of the customers pointed out to me! I think I even cried I was so happy, it was soooo embaressing!"

Opening her eyes, she smiled warmly again, "So, I guess what I may have been saying, going off on a tangent like that, is that cutie marks aren't something you really study. Nothing they tell you in school about them ever really helps in getting one, it just comes to you." Martini snickered, "Oh listen to me, trying to be all philosophical! I guess my point is it's always special, but you know all that already," she winked.

"I guess it's a lot like magic, and that is why you should be proud of your ability to find the best gems! You say its easier because of your friends, but in a way, that is magical too, you all rely on each other to bring out each of your unique strengths! I think that is just wonderful, don't you?"

Ashton nodded and took another sip of his drink. It was a nice story. He couldn't fathom having to run a beach stand on his own. In the jewelry shop you were lucky to have a dozen customers each day. At a drink stand he estimated you would get a dozen each hour if not more. He had never been to a real beach before he could only really speculate.

She seemed to be missing the point a bit. "Thats not exactly what I meant. I mean that all my classmates, except for my sister, were griffins. I couldn't really." he paused. He didn't really want to talk about it. He wasn't even sure if there was anything to talk about. "You know. Nevermind."

'like magic'? That's a really strange and saccharine way to put it. Friendship isn't magic. It wasn't magical that they worked together. They had skills that worked well together. The way she put it was just... too sugary. He hoped all ponies weren't like this. "I uh. Never thought about it that way. I'd say we're just good friends and we know each others skills. It more logical than magical."

• 2 weeks later...

It was about this time that another Pony made their way into the bar...as the doors swung open hard, and Brazil Nut, esteemed Pony Archeologist and all round exploring pony made his way into the bar with a grin.

" Well, howdy Everypony... " The adventurer crooned, sidling his way up to the bar, despite the rolling of eyes from various ponies nearby...he had no time for ponies who couldn't appreciate his presence, after all. He knew that no matter what he did, he wasn't always going to win over all the crowds - was just easier to barge on through and do things his own way!

" It's sure great to be home, I tellya!"

He'd been away on a dig near Canterlot for the last few months - for a good three months, to be exact - and for the most part, nothing new had turned up and they all gotten all ready to get back home until Brazil had inadvertantly stumbled across a small unseen chamber that they hadn't found by following the pre-existing plans they'd all drawn up in advance.

Brazil was usually pretty good at finding the unfindable on a digging expedition, and this time had been no exception.

Using a hoof to tip his Hat back a little on his head, the pony practically dances his way towards the bar and gives the barmaid there a small smirk, sitting down and clearing his throat a little. "I'll have a Whiskey, Miss Martini - good t'see ya by the way!"

He looks around the bar a moment and gives a small grin - he'd missed the atmosphere of this place...it was good to be back!

Martini Paradise just smiled. She hoped she wasn't being too sappy and open - she just wanted her customer to feel at ease and comfortable. He just gave this vibe of being high-strung and nervous, and she hoped to calm that, even if just a little and for only a little while. "You have a lot of experience that is pretty unique to a pony, hon. All that knowledge and intimate understanding about griffins is really valuable! Most of us really have a hard time talking to them, you know. I guess, to us, they're just a little intimidating." Martini hoped she didn't come off as sounding unfriendly towards griffins -she didn't have anything against them. It was just that, as large apex predators, they could a bit overwhelming to be around sometimes, if one wasn't used to them.

Martini smiled again to defuse any possible concern. "Oh, I know it isn't literal magic when you or your friends find gems, I guess it is just in a way magical that you all work so well together and are good friends. I guess I am just being a bit too sappy!"

The door swung open, and in trotted a new customer with an exceptionally strong aura of confidence about him - a very familiar pony indeed. That was perhaps her favorite thing about Bareback - the large number of adventurer ponies, pioneers, roughnecks, vigilantes, explorers, miners, and other ponies of action that frequented this place. In this case, an archaeologist adventurer, and a mighty fine looking one at that! Martini smiled warmly as he approached the bar and tried not to blush ... well, too much anyway. She started to gather the ingredients, "howdy there Doctor Nut, find anything interesting?"

It was time again to razzle dazzle!

Her horn glowed softly as she snagged a tumbler from behind the bar and dragged it down along the smooth, waxed wood to her. At the same time, her hoof kicked at the shelves behind her, and a bottle of whiskey fell off the shelf. She caught the bottle on a hind hoof, and hopped it up, flipping end over end to land on her forehoof, and the unicorn tipped it over towards the bar. The tumbler slid into place just as the whiskey spilled from the small opening, splashing the dark liquid over the base of the tumbler. One, two, three splashes, to just cover the bottom of the glass thickly, and then she was righting the whiskey bottle and pushing the tumbler across to Brazil.

Brazil watches the female making her display of Bartending at it's finest, a grin on his features as she served up the liquid gold - no doubt she was the finest bartender he'd ever come across, and he had no qualms in making that point known.

"Truth be told, Miss Martini..." He says, tossing over the few bits the drinks would cost as he glanced at the female with his daring smirk. " I'll tell ya somethin' - No treasure I dig up could be as awesome as your skills here in the bar! "

Oh, it was a coy little flatterers line - they both would know that, and Brazil knew that the female dealt with more types throwing down desperately cheesy lines on a regular basis...and the Doc' knew that it wasn't going to be any more effective.

Instead, the question she'd posed about his discovery this time was something he could probably do better with!

"Glad you asked, ma'am!" he says, taking a sip from the glass and enjoying the rich flavors a moment.

"I was called to Canterlot on a fairly light expedition idea, we were looking for something the historians have described as an important foundation...an old Building there from years ago, supposedly an old secret room diverted from the castle in case the Royals ever needed to escape in a hurry, real quick - None of us thought much of it, though, to be honest! "

He carried on, stretching softly as he brought up more of the discussion...simply enjoying this small moment.

" After a while of digging and scratching around, We found a few bones an' some articles of clothing...the Testing unicorns couldn't PRECISELY date 'em, of course, but they did say that they were at least 100 years old, maybe more. The interesting thing is that the clothes we found...well, they bear the mark of the moon, and not the sun! "

The adventurer says, lowering his tone conspiratorially...as though sharing a great secret.

" Given the findin's, Miss Martini, We now believe that these are the robes of an old Moon-worshipping service...the remnants of an old group who used to worship the moon god as if t'were the sun itself. I know that there are fans of the Moon even now, but...in a hidden castle chamber, with their own symbolism no less. A lot of people have dismissed the argument that anypony TRULY worshipped the Pony we dont really like to talk about around here...Nightmare Moon 'erself! "

He took a deep breath and pauses to drink of the liquid refreshment before him, aware that he was openly talking business with the bartending female pony, and he didn't care one bit...he hadn't had a good chat ages in to anypony like this!

((OoC: I might be wrong but I think Lola, Ashton, Brazil and the staff are the only ones in at the moment. I got the feeling that we were in a kind of early afternoon Lull. After all the ponies there for lunch left but before anyone showed up for evening drinking.))

"A little, yeah." he replied. All the things she were saying we special seemed normal to him. Talking with Griffins, digging with dogs, it was all basic stuff. He figured anypony in Rockwington could do the same. Most just preferred not to.

He considered maybe sharing some of his fathers tips for dealing with Griffins but paused when the regular came in. He stayed silent while the other two talked. He could wait a bit while she served up a drink and they caught up. Maybe he would overhear something interesting. If he was just in the Canterlot area digging he might know a bit about the area. Still it looked like it would be hard to find an opening in the conversation with the way this pony was talking.

Martini Paradise snickered at the orange unicorn’s acknowledgement of her sappy attitude towards his stories; she just felt there was just something special about how friends worked together so well, even if he thought nothing of it.  "Well.. there isn't anything wrong with being a little sappy", she winked.  "Besides I gotta show us ponies' best side since you'll be seeing so many more of us in Canterlot!  I wish I could visit there myself!"

Turning to the charismatic earth pony explorer, she watched him take his drink and toss down a few bits, snickering while shaking her head at his oh so corny line.  She wasn't even sure if it was a transparent pickup line or an equally cliché compliment; either way, it was so hackneyed - exactly what she had come to expect from him as an opening.

Not that she would mind some genuine smooth pickup lines from him.

Of course she listened to his latest adventure, it was her job after all to listen.  Well, to serve drinks first and foremost, but listening was a close second.  But it was also a pleasure.  What she heard certainly had her rapt attention - a secret room, artifacts found, but really made her gasp in astonishment was what he felt it all meant.  "Wait!  Nooo...  Really?"  She couldn't believe it.  She knew Nightmare Moon was real, at least for a night, but before that she was sure, like every other sane pony, that the story of the Mare in the Moon was some kind of old pony's tale to scare foals. 

"Well ... I guess if Nightmare Moon ... was real, then perhaps some ponies knew that beforehand and were crazy enough to actually revere her", Martini said with a mix of revulsion and confusion ... she just couldn't understand why anypony would worship a being who wished eternal night on everypony.  Still, it was just too fascinating in its own macabre way for her not to be curious about more, especially since such things always sounded dangerous.  Not that it made such an adventurous stallion more attractive... not that ... well ... mmmmmmm... yes it did.  "So ... Did you find anything more?  I mean ... are you sure that is what they were doing?  Was there anything ... Dangerous in there?"

Brazil could see a few of the cogs in the females head turning a little as he spoke, knew that she was hanging on his every word like a fly on a spiders web...the prospects of danger and Intrigue always garnered similar reactions, and this was what he loved most about his line of work. Intrigue and Danger was part of his lifestyle. He thrived on living to retell the tale!

"Well, it wasn't an easy one to locate to start with...there wasn't as much a map as there was a mystery, a lost hint that something was up with a particular bunch of trees on the dig site. " He resumes his story eagerly with a grin.

"Double checking some references to old paintings I once saw of the area...beautiful, by the way, but not easy to find nowadays...I realised that one of the trees had a peculiar difference. One knothole was actually missing in reality when I went to investigate - Upon further checking, low and behold, it turns out that this one Knothole had been sealed over using a peculiar masking enchantment...I honestly couldn't believe how this thing had remained so well hidden all this time.

What we discovered was a secret backdoor into this passage...not even on the original Blueprints - Entirely built in secret! "

Brazil was definately quite enthusiastic about this particular tale - the findings had all the major elements that worked to be the stuff of legend...secret cults, hidden passages, unfindable royal treasure - Everything any adventure needed!

He paused a moment to take a breath and a small sip of his delicious drink, giving the female a small smile.

"Maybe I should track down one of those pictures for ya...you'd appreciate it more than my associates apparently do!"

He pauses to look at the other pony a moment, nodding in acknowledgement of his presence as he takes a moment to regather his thoughts...and perhaps to let the other pony speak up if needs be.

" Apologies, Sir, Maybe I get a little carried away - didn't intend on stealing her attention from you. Please, carry on! "

"No no, it's fine." Ashton replied waving his hoof. He actually had no idea what they were talking about. Some mythical pony he had never heard of. Living in Equestria was certainly going to be an experience.

"It does sound interesting. Being able to recognize the difference between the paintings and the landscape I mean. Everyone else must have overlooked it all these years." he had always considered himself to be pretty good at spotting details but spotting a missing tree in dozens of pictures. He'd never be able to do something like that.

"And you were in Canterlot, right? I'm going to be going there myself. I don't suppose you know a good place to stay?" he asked trying not to sound like he was prying too much.

He took a drink of his own whiskey Martini had poured earlier.. He couldn't say he exactly cared for it. Maybe next time he would just order some kind of juice. It would make sense for them to have a better selection here than back home, being closer to orchards and all. He had always wanted to try something more exotic, like pineapple or mango. Anything other than Apple was exorbitantly expensive. His hairs stiffened as he remembered something. 'Woah. Money. Those weren't Griffin coins he had tossed on the table earlier.' He tried to think if he had any pony money in his bags. His sister had sent him a few coins a while back. How much was it worth though.

He tried to sound casual. Though for his efforts he didn't do a terribly good job. His voice was quite shaky. "Uh, Miss Martini. How much do I owe for everything? So far, I mean."

Martini Paradise just looked stunned at first. "You couldn't believe how it stayed hidden? I can't believe anypony could notice the difference that small while looking at a painting of a place they just happened to visit once! It'd take somepony really special!" She gave a rather flirtatious smile and a wink with that last statement. Oh Celestia.. I hope that wasn't too obvious! She normally didn't flirt too much with the customers - just a *little* flirting was part of the job, but she was feeling flirtier than usual. Somehow, he just drew it out of her, and now she worried about sounding a little too transparent, even if she was being genuine.

How embarrassing, and the way he kept smiling back didn't help - she wasn't sure if he was being similarly flirtatious, truly interested, or just sort of being ... Brazil. Hearing him offer one of the paintings, though, was a relief and a shock; relief that it look away from her awkward flirting, but surprise that he would do such a thing for her. "Oh hon ... I ... I couldn't! Where would I put such a fancy painting, anyway? All I have is a little two room apartment over a store, and who knows how long I'll be living there before I have to move on?" Martini looked a little crestfallen while saying that - it wasn't that she didn't want it, and it was such a nice gift, but she knew she had to live sparsely - she'd had to leave too much behind, too many times, before she'd learned that lesson.

Turning her attention to the orange unicorn, she noticed he seemed to have a little trouble with his drink; perhaps it was a bit strong for him and he wasn't used to anything with such a kick. At least she hoped that was it, and not that she'd made a bad drink! Celestia forbid such a thing! Her eyes widened slightly in attention when he awkwardly asked how much all his food and drink cost. "Oh! Umm..", she tapped her forehoof to her chin and tapped for a few seconds, calculating how much this all was. "Oh! That'll be six bits!" She smiled with her eyes closed warmly; surely a Canterlot traveling unicorn had a whole mess of bits with him.

Brazil sipped on his drink, watching the Bartender unicorn do her thing - he couldn't help but shoot a smile as she conducted business with the other pony...she was sharp, well-spoken, and had a soft attractiveness that could melt even the coldest of pony hearts and entice them into the place for a drink. He gave a slight chuckle, shook his head a little and mulled over his thoughts a little as he looked into his glass with an absent glance...regardless of everything Brazil had gotten involved with in his career, and every filly he'd engaged with in either conversation or more, Martini had been one of the few constants in his residing in these parts - and constants were the one thing he knew to keep that way.

However, he had no intentions of making any bold moves on the filly just yet...but he always liked to ensure that she knew he certainly didn't mind keeping an eye out for her. Perhaps one day, he thought, it would be something to dig further into!

For now, however, he looks back to the other pony in the bar with a small glance, knowing that he should probably answer the questions posed to him...it was, after all, only the polite thing to do!

"Well, if you want a l'il luxury...the Hoof and Shoe inn are always a good start - they aren't the cheapest, but if you can afford it I recommend them entirely. I've had employers who've paid for my staying there before, and I'll say the service is top notch! " the pony adventurer replies with a sage nod. " But if you're on a budget, then there's always the NightStables - they may not have Grade-a service, but I've spent a good few nights in one and can say they provide a decent service...so long as ya aren't expecting breakfast in bed or service with lotsa smiles...no questions asked accomodation, really. "

He was watching as they dealt with the payment - Brazil raised an eyebrow as the other pony looked distinctly unsure about his coinage. Perhaps this was a good time to say something that might loosen things up a little for the Pony.

" Oh, and It's okay, Miss Martini... " Brazil says to the female with his normal coy smile in full view.

" You can stick that on my tab - I'll pay for his drinks, I figure that's the best way to show hospitality around these parts anyway...I may be many things to many ponies, buuuut I'm not one to let anypony have troubles here! "

Six? I can handle six. He wasn't exactly sure how much a bit was worth. Ashton pulled a small pouch out. He quickly declined the other pony's offer. "I'm sorry, I won't be in town for all that long. I probably wouldn't get the chance to pay you back." The bag appeared full but when he opened it only a few bits were visible. Most of it was filled with Griffin money and small gemstones. After a little picking through it he came up with enough to cover his bill with 2 left over. He slid the coins across the bar to Martini.

"But thank you for the information. I'll probably end up staying at the Night Stables or someplace similar. I'll only be there for a few days or so." He didn't seem overly concerned about his lack of funds. He had a few plans to earn a bit while passing through Ponyville and Canterlot. And if things didn't work out one or two nights under the stars wouldn't kill him. From what his parents told him the weather was always pleasant in Canterlot even in the middle of the night.

Martini Paradise smiled warmly when she heard Brazil offer to take up Ashton's tab - such generosity was rare around these parts. Most of the ponies here were trying to find their fortune, with the key word being "trying." Most managed to strike out rather than strike it rich. They would land some sort of mining, survey, exploration, or manual labor job, and promptly frittered their bits away on drinks and games of chance. Bareback wasn't like Inner Equestria - folks around here were certainly more individualistic and guarded.

The orange unicorn, though was insistent on paying for his food himself, and finally managed to find some bits among the strange coinage and beautiful gems. Martini, though, smiled and politely pushed them back. "You don't have to worry any about having to owe or pay back Doctor Brazil Nut here, hon. When he says it's on him, he really means it!" She winked kindly and smiled, even blushing a little. It wasn't that he needed the charity, she just wanted to show how some ponies could be generous, and she hoped Brazil felt the same way.

It was only then that the impact of what she'd seen in Ashton's bag struck her. There were the strange coinage, to be sure, but also a stunning collection of various gems. A mix of curiosity and appreciation of the sparkly gems came over her. "Oooh, where did you manage to find all of those stunning gems? Where they from those expeditions with your griffin friends you told me about earlier?" Gems weren't as valuable to ponies overall as to perhaps griffons, let alone Diamond Dogs or Dragons, but they still were of value, not to mention beautiful, especially to somepony as poor as Martini. Besides she was curious why he carried them with his money, enough to ask a followup question, "are they used for money where you come from?"

Brazil shoots the bartender his normal sly grin, as he tosses a couple of bits onto the counter for her to tend to...he wasn't about to simply withdraw his offer of kindness - after all, it certainly had made Martini look impressed!

" Of course, m'dear, I'd never expect repayment for something as trivial. " the earth pony says, chuckling lightly as he glances towards the other pony with a nod. Truth be told, he hadn't seen Griffon money in a good while, and it was always interesting to see somepony carrying it with them. His innate curiosity started to poke at him...

" So, just what goes on around those parts these days? " the archaeologist enquired with a raised eyebrow and a curious smile. " I haven't been around Griffon territory for a while...it's an interesting part of Equestria, and the histories aren't as dissimilar to our own as you'd think. Although these days...it can feel like keeping good relations with the griffons themselves can be a harder task than getting some of the weather pegasi to work on time from what I hear! Whats your thoughts on it? "

In all honesty, he was most certainly interested - Griffons had always been a great source of history, but at the same time they were often a lot more brash and liable to being a lot less considerate when dealing with ponykind at times.

And besides, t'was the nature of bar conversation to be both a little inquisitive and challenging sometimes!

"Oh?" questioned Ashton a little confused. He wasn't expecting charity from a stranger. He took another glance at Brazil Nut who seemed quite earnest. He gathered his coins and placed them back in the pouch. "I... Thank you." Again he was startled by the differences between here and Rockwington. Should their places have been reversed he wouldn't even of thought of just giving him the money even though he was a pony. It sure was different.

"The gems? No it was Jill and Sienna who helped me find ones like these. And are they used for money? Well kind of, Diamond Dogs use them that way but its hard to put an exact value on a gem. Still you can get some good information if you're willing to trade a few. Like where you might find denser deposits or if there have been any cave-ins in the area. Or if you're unlucky you may be 'asked' to pay a 'toll' for using certain tunnels. So its nice to have a few polished ones just in case."

"You could have a few if you like." He slid her the bag. "I'd recommend a moonstone but I don't think I have any in there. Perhaps a pair of sapphires for earrings? I'm afraid I can't make you anything though." he added a little deflated. All of his tools were tightly packed away in the balloon, underneath all of Lola's belongings. "You too Doctor Brazil. Emeralds might suit you but I'm afraid I don't have too many of those." he was glad he was able to share his gems. Sometimes he forgot their value since he worked with them all the time.

At Brazil's query he paused again. He figured he would be the type to get along with Griffins better. "Oh, you've been there? Not too much has changed lately. Talonopolis is still pretty strict about not letting in any ponies. I have heard a rumor though that the Goldplumes are trying to push for a small market outside of the city that other species could visit. I suppose that might be an improvement but it would still mean walking back and forth each day or trying to camp out in Raptorclaw." then again Mido's information wasn't always the best but it was an interesting idea. "And the University in Rockwington is adding on a wing. I forget what for though. When did you last pass through?"

Martini loved to listen to these sorts of conversations - after all, her knowledge of Griffins was just what the average pony knew, little more than rumor. She was happy to listen, just to learn, but was drawn back to the conversation by a request for a story of something peculiar. Martini thought to herself as she collected the bits with her forehoof; she hadn't been working here long enough to know what was outside of the norm, but there was one incident which surely must qualify...

"You know, I remember one weird incident just the other day". Martini rolled her eyes and chuckled softly, "There was this eccentric earth pony - I believe he was an explorer just like you Brazil! Well not quite like you, he was more outlandish and not nearly as dashing," Martini winked, figuring a little innocent flirting during her story couldn't hurt. "He was also a doctor, at least that is what he said, and he just ran into the bar, asked for water, peanuts, and a banana daquiri. He drank the whole glass of water, and put the entire bowl of peanuts into his mouth, swallowed them, and then asked the most peculiar question." Martini looked a little perplexed as she recalled, "he asked if I had seen any flying cacti! Isn't that the weirdest thing? He wasn't drunk or delusional with thirst or hunger, he was straight up serious! When I told him I hadn't, he assured me that was because they weren't real ... but with the same tone of voice as a dam telling her foal that Nightmare Moon isn't real." She stopped and thought about that. "Although I guess she *was* real, after all ..."

Martini paused in regaling them with her story, feeling a little surreal just thinking about that moment, and about the fact that the foalhood boogypony had been real ... then laughed and shook her head. "It's probably nothing, really. I mean, flying cacti! Who's ever heard of such a thing?"

Ashton's offer took her by surprise. He was so kind to offer her some gems! Most gems weren't really all that expensive in Equestria, but they were valued for their beauty, and very fashionable right now - especially with Sapphire Shores' new look! Martini herself hadn't been 'fashionable' in quite a while, not having enough spare bits to spend on the latest clothes. Her reluctance was from the same place as her reluctance to accept a painting - but two small sapphires were were small enough to easily pack and carry with her. Martini blushed as she shyly levitated two small sapphires from the bag and placed them behind the counter. What a tip! She gave a sweet and suddenly bashful smile to Ashton, "t-thank you, and its okay that you can't do anything with them right now - they're beautiful as they are, especially knowing they were such a kind gift."

Having listened to the story intently, Brazil gave Martini quite the odd look - this explorer earth pony sounded quite the character, but Brazil couldn't really place where he'd heard tale about such a pony before...an odd earth pony who was seen here and there with equally odd tales and stories about his escapades - an odd pony simply known as 'The Doctor'...

He tore himself away from his pondering long enough to look at Ashton with a small nod - the goldplumes rumour was one he'd heard of briefly...the idea of a neutral zone had been discussed many a time, and Brazil knew that a good starting point was to establish a little trade and business between ponies and griffons as a way to open up relations properly.

He had hopes that if such an idea went through fully, real attempts to get along with one another would soon follow.

" I suppose all we can do is keep our ears to the ground and hope for the best, hmm?

" He says as he finished up his drink thoughtully...watching Martini for a moment, shooting her a playfully teasing grin.

" As for me, I suppose I'm just thankful that I've got friends on the other side - There's a rich tapestry of history between Ponies and Griffons along with all the other little critters out there...and if there's one thing I've grown to love, it's helping to uncover the connections that have both kept us close...or apart, in some cases! " Brazil states openly.

" We should always pay a little respect to the history of this great nation of ours, because at any time something could just as easily take it from us...and what we leave behind may be the only record of us in the future - it's something a pony such as myself thinks about everytime I embark on a new journey into the unknown. "

He pushes his glass towards Martini, giving her a warm and coy smile - she looked so curious, so engrossed in listening to what he and ashton had to say that he could barely resist the temptation...and knew that perhaps it might be worth taking a crack at giving the female a little something to think about.

" Well, look at the time... " He says, chuckling aloud...standing up again with the boundless energy he was renowned for.

" I really SHOULD be going to talk to some ponies about another ol' muddy cave or pothole...but if you ever fancy having an after hours discussion, Madam Martini, I'd quite gladly set aside a little time - I know I could probably muster up a few ol' memories just for your amusement! Just drop by the office and I'm sure Survey or I will be there to arrange something! "

He gives Ashton a small farewell salute, before glancing briefly back at Martini with a smirk and another quick wink.

" See you around, Ma'am - always a pleasure to drop on by an' shoot the breeze anyway! "

He then turns around smartly, and heads on out of the bar with a renewed spring in his step...feeling distinctly refreshed!