Does anyones Parents know they are a Brony?

Dash91

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I get a free pass because my parents (my mother mostly) know that I had them as a child and grew up collecting them. She even helped me keep up with my collection from then up until mid-way through G3. (I totally missed out on the G2 toys though. Their bodies bothered me back then, but now I think they're not that bad and am regretting it a little.)

My parents also know that I'm a former animation student and an addict for all things cartoons. If they found out I liked this show I'm sure they wouldn't be all that surprised. Being an adult, I don't live with them anymore so I don't need to worry about it. My mom still has my collection in storage though because we both know it might just fetch us a pretty penny on ebay one day - we still talk about it sometimes.

Funnily enough, I haven't collected any of the G4 toys other than blindbags. I just enjoy the show.

My mom knows. She saw me watching the show, but didn't think anything of it. But when I started buying posters, random pony-apparel, and began drawing MLP pictures...she gave me a weird look and asked: "Aren't you a little too old for this?" wich I responded: "You can never be too old for ponies and friendship, mom!" She just shrugged and rolled her eyes at it. :lol: Ever since then she's been really supportive of my pony-related art :D

Buuuuut...most of the time it's easier on the girls anyway. :kissy:

I'm sorry guy bronies... :sniff:

My mom knows. She saw me watching the show, but didn't think anything of it. But when I started buying posters, random pony-apparel, and began drawing MLP pictures...she gave me a weird look and asked: "Aren't you a little too old for this?" wich I responded: "You can never be too old for ponies and friendship, mom!" She just shrugged and rolled her eyes at it. :lol: Ever since then she's been really supportive of my pony-related art :D

Buuuuut...most of the time it's easier on the girls anyway. :kissy:

I'm sorry guy bronies... :sniff:

Good story I liked it alot.

Well, my family knows, and some of my friends do as well. My family found out when I posted

as a reply to something I said to my sister on FB, who was wondering if she was going to become a crazy cat lady. Turns out my aunt knows about bronies. Next family gathering, she said "It's my favourite brony!" And I said, "I bet you only know one." Turns out I was right. That's okay though, because my parents tell me I'm their favourite son all the time, and I'm the only son they have. Anyway, after my aunt's outburst, one of my sisters asked about it. I said it was entertaining. Then we started talking about the Legend of Korra.

My parents haven't mentioned it at all, but I doubt they care. It probably helps that I live on my own and I like all sorts of cartoons and things they don't understand (read: computers and internet). And I am pretty sure they don't think I'm gay for it, because they spent a year and a half freaking out over me dating a girl (who I was seriously involved with).

Not all of my friends know because I haven't told them. I don't see any reason to. They aren't the sort of people who are interested in cartoons, and that's okay. I won't lie if I'm asked, but I'm not going to just start talking about it. I don't like to shove what I enjoy in people's faces.

Except KotOR. That's the best game ever. You should play it!

Well, my family knows, and some of my friends do as well. My family found out when I posted

as a reply to something I said to my sister on FB, who was wondering if she was going to become a crazy cat lady. Turns out my aunt knows about bronies. Next family gathering, she said "It's my favourite brony!" And I said, "I bet you only know one." Turns out I was right. That's okay though, because my parents tell me I'm their favourite son all the time, and I'm the only son they have. Anyway, after my aunt's outburst, one of my sisters asked about it. I said it was entertaining. Then we started talking about the Legend of Korra.

My parents haven't mentioned it at all, but I doubt they care. It probably helps that I live on my own and I like all sorts of cartoons and things they don't understand (read: computers and internet). And I am pretty sure they don't think I'm gay for it, because they spent a year and a half freaking out over me dating a girl (who I was seriously involved with).

Not all of my friends know because I haven't told them. I don't see any reason to. They aren't the sort of people who are interested in cartoons, and that's okay. I won't lie if I'm asked, but I'm not going to just start talking about it. I don't like to shove what I enjoy in people's faces.

Except KotOR. That's the best game ever. You should play it!

Ok that's a pretty cool story.

Being a girl, it's easy and no problem really. I've mentioned it to my mom a few times and she doesn't seem to pay much attention. She already knows that I love cartoons and frankly she prefers me watching MLP to stuff like Family Guy and Drawn Together. I watched a few animes back in grade 7 and stuff too which my mom was wary of due to her traumatic anime experience in Japan as a child XD Anime gets boring really fast~. -_-

I don't know if my dad knows or not, but mehh if he did he'd probably just say, "If you were a boy, I would think you're gay." He's said that about other stuff I like before XD.

Some people I know at school really like the show. They kind Some of my friends are like "wait what why~?" but don't bother me over it. My gay best friend loathes the show though XD

Great story Hobbes! I have an update on my end as well!

My grandmother questioned me again about why I watch it when I showed her my Fluttershy blind bag keychain. I told her I watched it for the characters and the writing. Plus my sister backed me up and said it was a pop culture thing too and supported me.

Great story Hobbes! I have an update on my end as well!

My grandmother questioned me again about why I watch it when I showed her my Fluttershy blind bag keychain. I told her I watched it for the characters and the writing. Plus my sister backed me up and said it was a pop culture thing too and supported me.

Ok cool

I imagine Bronies with sisters might have it alright.^^ It seems nice for some reason lol. Bronies with other brothers that aren't into the show and think its gay might have a hard time though >.>.

Yeah although I hardly ever talk about the show or fandom around my older brother when I do he likes to joke around with me about it sometimes and once said that me and all other bronies are gay, my mom and dad don't reallly care what I watch as long as it's not innapropriate plus i've always and still do like cartoons so yeah.

My mum is the only person, from my family or immediate circle of friends, that knows about my Brony life. She accepts it as one my many quirks, just as she accepted my heavy obsession with video games. My mum is awesome.

I just don't talk about it much. If I jabbered on about it like my video games or anime, she'd probably be less tolerant, but for now she's absolutely fine with it... and she even doesn't give two hoots about the older fanbase. "If they want to watch it, what right do I have to tell them no?" she usually says, "I don't watch it, but it doesn't bug me that people do. Do what makes you happy."

My mum is the only person, from my family or immediate circle of friends, that knows about my Brony life. She accepts it as one my many quirks, just as she accepted my heavy obsession with video games. My mum is awesome.

I just don't talk about it much. If I jabbered on about it like my video games or anime, she'd probably be less tolerant, but for now she's absolutely fine with it... and she even doesn't give two hoots about the older fanbase. "If they want to watch it, what right do I have to tell them no?" she usually says, "I don't watch it, but it doesn't bug me that people do. Do what makes you happy."

Ok

I... honestly just don't see the point.

If I said something along the lines of "Mom, dad, brace yourself. This may be hard to take in.... But I'm a brony..." They'd probably just laugh in my face. XD

Our schedules are divided to the point where I could be building nuclear missiles in my free time and they'd be none the wiser, so they're not going to notice me watching the show or drawing ponies.

It's a television show, not a faith or a sexuality.

My parents definitely know of my bronyness... I'm definitely glad that they're not very hostile toward it at all. Nor do I really regret having gotten into the franchise in the first place...

However, at first, my father was greatly in question as to why I like the series so much. A lot of modern cartoons these days such as on cartoon network and such cartoon channels, he finds them quite... questionable. To the point where he thinks of them being stupid and without any real meaning or purpose to them other than probably just taking up time on a network or something.

Though I explained to my father one day, because an ex-girlfriend of mine decided during a skype call one day, that she would just blurt out the fact that I'm a brony... of course, my father isn't very up to date on modern internet terms and such, so he had no idea what 'brony' even meant at the time... and she just had to blurt out what it meant as well, and of course, my dad was at first highly disappointed in me, and wondered why I would take interest in what occurred to him as a stupid cartoon designed to be watched and liked by little girls only.

But then, one day, when riding in the car with him, I actually explained to him why I like the show so much. I don't just like it in fact, I love it! It's definitely a lot better and very different than what I've seen so far in cartoons. That it's not really following the common jist of things such as movies and other types of media. It focuses on... well, the magic of friendship, of course! At least, that's how I see it. If you think about it, it's actually quite unique for these days... with the movies you see about violence and the government trying to kill the main character or something, then of course, think about the news you might have read or heard on television. It's thrown into our faces every day... so and so was murdered today, a statistic massacre, a violent riot, a child is deemed missing and possibly worse than that, and a lot of other negative things you see on the news these days... I don't mean to sound graphic or anything for this place, just making an example. But yeah, that's usually what you hear about today, and I absolutely hate it... from my point of view, it's as if the whole human race is treating things like friendship, love, compassion, everything that's good in the world... and a huge majority of people just seem to treat it like the worst disease mankind has ever exposed himself to. I ask myself often... why? Where did all the love go? Why can't married couples stay married and not just get divorced a year or so later? Why can't a couple of big kids give the new guy a warm welcome instead of bullying and traumatizing him?

Then I hear about something like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic... I'll admit, at first, I thought not too much of it, but then I understood as soon as I started the series why one would like this show so much... it's so different. There's no war, hardly any hate, and has nothing terrible in it by any means... and it actually teaches us a lesson or two about being a good friend. Now THAT is something! I just wish I had known about something like this sooner... I'd almost lost hope in others before this, and now I can never look back! I even explained this to my father, about the very things that the show has, and the people that like it... well, you guys are just awesome. He now understands this, and has a whole new outlook as to the possible meaning of the series... and he doesn't hate the concept one bit. In fact, he likes the idea that something like this even exists...

Love and tolerate, you say? ...... COUNT ME IN! :D

My brother knows cause he is one as well....and I guess my sister knows as well*or she has guessed after me and my friends spent time talking about the show* But my parents don't. My family is very open minded but...I guess I just don't want them to know cause....well I don't know. Cause I just don't want them to know.

I don't bring it up or hide it.

Pretty much me.

I actually find it really really silly when I think of parents disowning their kids for watching a friendly cartoon.

Though... I guess if people have seen the...'other side' of the fandom, I guess I can see parents concerned, but, other than that I don't really feel it's any of my parents business what I watch on my spare time.

But that's just me...

My parents definitely know of my bronyness... I'm definitely glad that they're not very hostile toward it at all. Nor do I really regret having gotten into the franchise in the first place...

However, at first, my father was greatly in question as to why I like the series so much. A lot of modern cartoons these days such as on cartoon network and such cartoon channels, he finds them quite... questionable. To the point where he thinks of them being stupid and without any real meaning or purpose to them other than probably just taking up time on a network or something.

Though I explained to my father one day, because an ex-girlfriend of mine decided during a skype call one day, that she would just blurt out the fact that I'm a brony... of course, my father isn't very up to date on modern internet terms and such, so he had no idea what 'brony' even meant at the time... and she just had to blurt out what it meant as well, and of course, my dad was at first highly disappointed in me, and wondered why I would take interest in what occurred to him as a stupid cartoon designed to be watched and liked by little girls only.

But then, one day, when riding in the car with him, I actually explained to him why I like the show so much. I don't just like it in fact, I love it! It's definitely a lot better and very different than what I've seen so far in cartoons. That it's not really following the common jist of things such as movies and other types of media. It focuses on... well, the magic of friendship, of course! At least, that's how I see it. If you think about it, it's actually quite unique for these days... with the movies you see about violence and the government trying to kill the main character or something, then of course, think about the news you might have read or heard on television. It's thrown into our faces every day... so and so was murdered today, a statistic massacre, a violent riot, a child is deemed missing and possibly worse than that, and a lot of other negative things you see on the news these days... I don't mean to sound graphic or anything for this place, just making an example. But yeah, that's usually what you hear about today, and I absolutely hate it... from my point of view, it's as if the whole human race is treating things like friendship, love, compassion, everything that's good in the world... and a huge majority of people just seem to treat it like the worst disease mankind has ever exposed himself to. I ask myself often... why? Where did all the love go? Why can't married couples stay married and not just get divorced a year or so later? Why can't a couple of big kids give the new guy a warm welcome instead of bullying and traumatizing him?

Then I hear about something like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic... I'll admit, at first, I thought not too much of it, but then I understood as soon as I started the series why one would like this show so much... it's so different. There's no war, hardly any hate, and has nothing terrible in it by any means... and it actually teaches us a lesson or two about being a good friend. Now THAT is something! I just wish I had known about something like this sooner... I'd almost lost hope in others before this, and now I can never look back! I even explained this to my father, about the very things that the show has, and the people that like it... well, you guys are just awesome. He now understands this, and has a whole new outlook as to the possible meaning of the series... and he doesn't hate the concept one bit. In fact, he likes the idea that something like this even exists...

Love and tolerate, you say? ...... COUNT ME IN! :D

Aww that's a sweet story dear.^^; Can't say much else other than yeah, I agree it's a nice message that show brings. I believe that people like shows with things they desire, lack, or favor among other things. In this case, it's friendship which is really nice.

I've had many moments in my life where I lose trust in people and I don't believe in friendship much, but , stuff like MLP just lightens things for some reason at times.^^;

Well the only two in my family that know are my little brother who i told just so i could talk about ponys around him, and my stepdad who teased me then stopped caring. All my friends however know im a brony, but im worried that if my mum found out shed act like i had a problem and try and fix it in her messed up way. I honestly dont know why i havnt told my dad i could probably convert him but ive just tried to keep my family from thinking im any more weird than they already do.

Nobody in my family knows I'm a fan of MLP... not even my openly-brony teenage cousin. If I told my parents, my dad would probably use it as additional joke material at my expense, but my old folks won't bother making a big fuss about it. Regardless, I don't plan on coming out of the closet barn anytime soon.

Archived