Summer of Pony ~ Session I [S1E01-3]

VGnaS.png

Summer of Pony '12 ~ Session I ~

Introduction/Schedule

Friendship is Magic Parts 1 and 2, The Ticket Master

Welcome welcome welcome, a fine welcome to you! Welcome to the Summer of Pony '12, a mini-event dreamed up by Weesh and Rosewind to combat the dead season before S3 starts, with a goal to celebrate an extended mare-a-thon of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic! It is our sincerest hope that you'll watch the episodes along with us, chat with us about episodes you might have missed the first time around, share your thoughts, show off your cleverness and talents to us, and most importantly, have a lot of fun! This is so exciting I could just bake a whole mess of cupcakes! :mad:

Over to you, Weesh:

One of my earliest memories was getting a bath when I was three years old. I noticed that sometimes the world didn't sound right. And the beautiful anomalies coincided with my mom pouring warm water over my head. I was able to reproduce the phenomenon with the same pail. It occurred to me that two things were happening. First, the water was briefly covering my ears. And second, that in such a state, rushing water sounded wonderful. Nowadays, I will occasionally plug my ears while taking a shower to listen to other-worldly sounds of the stream spilling over my head. It takes me back to the first experience.

I encourage you to revisit your first experience with these three episodes as you watch them again. Don't just look for the things you missed. Revel in the things that grabbed you on your maiden voyage. I am excited to hear you share your unrefined and raw thoughts of the beginning, as we start this journey together.

What you need to get started:

1. Yourself. Done. Check. (Double check the list to check the list that was checked if you're a fan of Twilight.)

2. Watch Episodes:

Friendship is Magic Part 1 - Original Airdate: October 10th, 2010

When Twilight Sparkle learns of the evil Nightmare Moon's return, Princess Celestia sends her to Ponyville to check on the decorations for the Summer Sun Celebration. There she meets Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Applejack for the first time.

Friendship is Magic Part 2 - Original Airdate: October 22nd, 2010

After Nightmare Moon's prevail of eternal night, Twilight Sparkle, with the addition of her new friends, sets out to find the Elements of Harmony in order to defeat Nightmare Moon. Twilight also learns an important message of friendship in the process.

The Ticket Master - Original Airdate: October 29th, 2010

When Twilight Sparkle receives two tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala, her friends' excitement about the extra ticket only causes problems as each friend tries to prove why they should be the one to go.

Due to Canterlot policy, I'm afraid we can't publicly assist with viewing episodes. Check out iTunes and support the show! (Most of you should know how to watch an episode of FiM by now, I hope!)

Watch them. Go ahead! Shoo.

Are you back?! EXCELLENT!

3. Discuss! What inspired you about the pilot? Did you see the pilot first, or did you get hooked by another episode and watched it out of order? How do the characters seem to you now that we've had two seasons of character development? Was there anything you liked about these episodes that stood out, or anything you didn't like?

Bonus Game:

Compose a short poem or Haiku relevant to the first three episodes and share it with us here! (Remember a Haiku is 3 lines with syllables that match 5-7-5). Example:

Starswirl's beard has fleas

Quick, give him a bath with soap

Goodbye for now, fleas!

Weesh and I will be picking the most clever and awesome ones and featuring them in Session II!

If you have any PMVs related to these episodes, music, artwork -- from the net or wherever -- please post them up here!

VHNq8.png

Let the journey begin...

• Like 1

Overwhelming Joy

Such sweet forgiveness is shown

Family made whole

I remember being completely overwhelmed by these first two episodes. There were a few moments when clear thought happened, but mostly, I was trying to absorb an entire world in 40 minutes.

I remember the opening just blew me away. The dreamy balloon and the callback to the theme of the original MLP that I remembered, then the pan with Rainbow Dash flying into Ponyville. It really was breathtaking!

I read a gorgeous disambiguation of the opening title sequence here that describes the differences in both seasons, and why it's so fantastic. Give it a read, it's very interesting!

Want some popcorn? Ha. Lookit this! So pretty!

<balloon>

Nice. I read that article you posted, which suggest the opening sequence is twilight moving all of her stuff into town. That picture shows a bunch of boxes!

Also:

Applejack, Pinkie

Rarity, Twilight Sparkle

Rainbow, Fluttershy

Organized in haiku by type...