Malediction

Tempest Rime

[ Pony Related Character ]

Name: Malediction (born Copper Key)

Species: Unicorn

Pelt Color: Blue, faintly blotchy

Mane/Tail Color & Style: Mane long and straight, combed to cover the scarred left side of her face, tail cropped short, both copper-colored with a metallic sheen.

Eye Color: Red

Cutie Mark: A black heart wreathed in green flame

Physique: A bit taller than average, lanky, and physically weak

Residence: Canterlot

Motivation: Take vengeance on the world for every misfortune she has suffered

Likes: Scars, piercings, violence, waltzes, curses, laughing at other ponies' suffering

Dislikes: Almost everything, with a particular hatred for candy, dragons, foals, artists, and anypony with more magical talent than her

Tricks:

Telekinesis - Decently skilled

Lockpicking - Drilled into her by her father, this is essentially just a skilled application of telekinesis

Hatefire - Her signature trick, she can conjure and manipulate ghastly green flames that burn cold and smokeless, reducing even metals into ash if they burn long enough.

Character Summary:

Copper Key was born to a locksmith in Hoofington. Her father always wanted her to succeed him and take over the family business, a desire made stronger by her parent's inability to have further foals. Copper, however, was more interested in learning magic in Canterlot. She managed to make it as far as the entrance exam due to her potential, but the only sort of magic she showed such potential in was purely destructive.

When asked to use her magic to hatch a dragon egg, she had no idea what to do. She used the only magic she knew, blasting the egg with green flame that burned cold. The hatchling inside died in agony, and Copper was unanimously denied entrance by the horrified judges. Never had a trial gone so poorly as to kill a dragonling before, and the news of her spectacular failure spread even to Hoofington. Her family was ashamed, and set out to move to Fillydelphia to escape the scandal.

On the train to Fillydelphia, Copper had a heated argument with her father, and in a fit of pique, she let loose her magic, setting the train ablaze with her unnatural flame. Almost everypony aboard was killed in the wreck, including both her parents. She got out alive, but rather than face responsibility for her actions, she fled into the Everfree forest. There, she encountered a hungry manticore, which was just desperate enough to consider her food.

The fight was vicious, the manticore took her left eye with a swipe of its claws, and a large chunk of her ear was torn off, but she called upon her rage and frustration to empower her natural talent for destruction. She blasted the creature with a lance of baleful flame that charred a hole straight through its heart. That was the day she got her cutie mark.

After that, she fled to Trottingham, where she was eventually taken in by an orphanage, where she earned a reputation as a bully and a problem foal. She refused to tell anypony her former name for fear of bringing the authorities investigating the wrecked train, so she began to go by the name Malediction, a word she had learned in her search for workable curse magic, something she felt she might actually have a talent for before her disastrous entrance exam.

Once she was old enough, she moved to Canterlot, setting up a small locksmithing business, as its the only marketable skill she has. She drives away enough customers that she's always got free time, but not quite enough to put her out of business. In her spare time she strives to increase her magical power, and she still keeps an eye out for anything that mentions the possibility of actual curse magic. She blames the world around her for her own failings, and her contempt for everything only serves to sharpen her skill with her flames.

Though she wears her hair over the more scarred half of her face, it's not as much out of shame for her appearance. Indeed, she's quite proud of her battlescars. It's much more enjoyable, however, to let ponies get close to her before flicking back her hair for just a moment, giving them the slightest glimpse of the claw-mark scars and lidless, empty eye socket. Let their imaginations do the rest. Her missing eye does serve to hinder her aim at range with her flames, but she generally compensates by applying it liberally, regardless of incidental damage she may deal.

Relationships:

Skye - "He claims he's got friends in high places, and he seems to be a good pony. That makes him the worst kind of dangerous."

Kira Darkclaw - "She's all talk and no action, but I wouldn't turn my back on her, just in case."

Champ - "This little twerp cracks me up. He's got some potential, if the social pressure of that cesspool of a town doesn't get to him and turn him into another worthless drone."

Tenderbloom - "She puts on an air of niceness, but she lives out in the Everfree and trains killer plants to do her bidding. She's somepony to keep your guard up around."

Dark Core - "I thought he was ok, but he sure turned out to be a nopony. I hope something awful happens to him."

Radiant Steel - "It's not every day that you find a guard who's so entertainingly easy to agitate."

Bonfire - "Regular fire? What a tool."

Zephyr Burst - "Why can't I stop thinking about him? It's driving me crazy!"

Scale Model - "Not quite sure what to think of him. He doesn't seem as intimidated as he should, but he's still helpful."

Dixie - "I can tolerate her, which is more than I can say for most ponies."

Saw Dust - "Naive. He's gonna get eaten alive out there."

Doctor Whooves - "What an irritating, arrogant, blowhard."

Trixie - "Kinda annoying, but she's got some power in her."

Lyra - "She's more capable than she looks, though with the way she acts, she probably doesn't even know it."

Maledictionscaled.png

This is a very disturbed pony! I actually feel sorry for her, too, though I wonder what sorts of troubles she might get up to. I find it rather interesting that she manages to stay in Canterlot without getting into trouble. But, I hope you have fun with her. Approved!

• 3 months later...