Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

A wolfy spider decided to get a little too friendly last night and tried to run up my leg! Why do spiders love me so much?!

It didn't live long. Sorry Bugmaster! Not many things can run up my leg and survive.

Don't worry Rosewind, no one can blame you for swating off a spider crawling up your leg in the midst of panic. I know your already making a conscience effort to keep as many bugs alive as possible. That's good enough for me.

Ha, HFS means "hidden fun stuff" for me, that's the spoiler tag for when you reach hell in one of my videogames. What's the real name for that spider ? Is it really "happy face spider" ? :D

And oddly enough, what I find most interesting is not the happy face (that's just human imagination ...) but the fact that it looks vaguely transparent. Cool.

Ha, HFS means "hidden fun stuff" for me, that's the spoiler tag for when you reach hell in one of my videogames. What's the real name for that spider ? Is it really "happy face spider" ? :D

And oddly enough, what I find most interesting is not the happy face (that's just human imagination ...) but the fact that it looks vaguely transparent. Cool.

It's scientific name is "Theridion grallator" but "happy face spider" is the common name.

• Like 1

It's scientific name is "Theridion grallator" but "happy face spider" is the common name.

So what is Swirly's scientific name? Swirlus Beardicus? Swirlus swirlus?

One of my favorite animals has to be the Mephitus mephitus. I actually like the smell of them, atrocious as it sounds!

I wish to place the Human Botfly in the line of awaiting bugs. :3 I've been looking at bugs in a good way now, after reading this topic. And one day, I wish to start an army of dangerous bugs and take over the world! WE WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!

I wish to place the Human Botfly in the line of awaiting bugs. :3 I've been looking at bugs in a good way now, after reading this topic. And one day, I wish to start an army of dangerous bugs and take over the world! WE WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!

Sure thing. If there is any insect that would make someone squimish, it would be the botfly. Also, I've already beaten you to the idea of an arthropod army like, 5 years ago.

Sure thing. If there is any insect that would make someone squimish, it would be the botfly. Also, I've already beaten you to the idea of an arthropod army like, 5 years ago.

Yes, but by July 23rd, I would've already gotten 3/4 of Korea, and if I'm estimating right...17/20 of Canada as putty in my hands. MWAHAHAHAAAAA! XD

Your trying to take over Korea and Canada? You don't know anything about being a dictator! I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate that bug army of yours. I can do that, I'm the Bugmaster. Think about what you did wrong while I do a highlight on Roly Polys.

rolypoly.jpg

Pill Bugs or, Roly Polys, can be found in just about any temperate forest, rain forest, or grassland. Despite being almost always assoiciated with bugs, Roly Polys are actually terrestrial crustacians. A pill bug's head and abdomen are respectivly the frontmost and hind segments, with the thorax being made up of the seven segments in between. The Roly Poly gets it's name from it's defensive behavior of curling up into a tight ball when disturbed. Though they are the only species of crustacean that can live on land entirely with out the need of a body of water, they are still very suspectible to drying out and must often inhabit cool, damp areas to survive. Pill bugs are eaten by many animals bigger than themselves such as birds and insectivorous mammals. At the same time however, they are passed up as prey by many arthropods as they may be deemed too small to bother with. Roly Polys are very effective decomposers for the ecosystem, as they eat decaying plant and animal matter and eventually return it to the soil, enriching it with nutriants that betters near by plant life. Their habbit of being turned down as a meal because of their size combined with their scavanger eating habits make owners of tarantulas, scropions, and other like pets sometimes put them into their terrariums to act as living cage cleaners that can peacefully co-exist with their other inhabitants.

There's another one for you Rosewind, I hope you liked it. The next highlight will be for Chocoswirl on Botflys. And don't think that me doing a highlight for you means I'll be giving you your bug army back anytime soon. From the looks of things, you have a long ways to go before I even consider it.

Your trying to take over Korea and Canada? You don't know anything about being a dictator! I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate that bug army of yours. I can do that, I'm the Bugmaster. Think about what you did wrong while I do a highlight on Roly Polys.

The next highlight will be for Chocoswirl on Botflys. And don't think that me doing a highlight for you means I'll be giving you your bug army back anytime soon. From the looks of things, you have a long ways to go before I even consider it.

*mutters something inaudibly while making the word "poopyhead" quite clear*

ಠ3ಠ

Is there any way to remove a cluster of doodle bugs/roly polies, roaches, and centipedes from an office without killing them all?

While I appreciate the will to not harm them if possible, I can't fathom any practical method of removal in that they end up alive and well. Out of those three however, the cockroach is the only thing that can cause any harm, and almost all of that can be prevented by properly sealing food and using waste cans with lids. Pillbugs are harmless, and centipedes will eat other creatures that actually are harmful to you.

Okies Bugmaster, I have an open request. I want you to spotlight what you think is the deadliest, most venomous insect in the world.

Are you trying to deter me from the botfly highlight?

Oh god Australia XD anyone ever seen the mini-series of this Australian guy catching spiders in his house with his 6 year old daughter it's just funny XD.

Ummm so I'm terrified of centipedes but at the same time they are soo fascinating! =D They used to come into my house a lot when I was a kid cause we lived by a forest and oh god it was like the scariest thing ever! >.< One time, there was one on the ceiling above my head! :-| But anyway it's crazyy~! They can live in almost any type of environment and there are thousands of different species! I wonder too what exactly caused them to evolve into something that needs all of those....legs! .>> So scary, but interesting too. Sometimes I can watch videos of them without squealing out of fright, but if it's like right in front of me it's over >.> I would try to run away while screaming and taking pictures of it XDD.

Alright, with Chocoswirl's permission, I have decided againts the botfly highlight. Have a common house fly instead.

640499324_74e2182964.jpg

I don't feel like I really have to tell you what a fly looks like but... House flys are usually about 1/4 inch in length. They have relatively large compound eyes, which can make them a rather difficult thing to swat, as well as short antennae which they often groom along with their forelegs. There color can range from a simple black to a more shiny green appereance as seen above. They have 2 pairs of wings which often overlap. Flys have short lifespans, being as short as 15 days to a little less than a month. Despite being known as a nuisance to picnics and other outdoor gatherings with food, Flys largely contribute to the enviroment as scavangers, an animal that feeds mainly on dead and decaying matter. A fly's spongey mouthpart is only capable of ingesting liquid food. In order to eat solid matter, a fly must first regurgetate acids from it's stomach to digest it before laping it up. Without scavangers like flys or decomposers such as fungi, dead animals and plants would never dissapear and planet earths surface would become covered in corpses, not a preatty picture to think about. Don't think that just because the fly is natures garbage man means that it is entirely good for humans. As most people know, while they go about eating dead matter, they can pick up all sorts of harmful bacteria and can unintentionally transfer it to your slice of pizza it just landed on. So by all means, shoo that fly away so he can get to work on making your backyard cleaner.

While I appreciate the will to not harm them if possible, I can't fathom any practical method of removal in that they end up alive and well. Out of those three however, the cockroach is the only thing that can cause any harm, and almost all of that can be prevented by properly sealing food and using waste cans with lids. Pillbugs are harmless, and centipedes will eat other creatures that actually are harmful to you.

Well, that's all well and good, but the problem is it's not my office; I was just looking after it for the week. Pillbugs and centipedes don't bother me really at all, but the owner is quite squeamish and it was vital for me to get rid of the insects. Unfortunantly, only the pillbugs survived, and I let those free in the backyard. :[

I attempted to just capture them all with a disposable cup, but roaches and centipedes move too fast to catch, and I couldn't let the owner discover them later.

EDIT: That was a nice spotlight, very interesting to read. Thanks a ton for not doing botflies. Seriously, I've seen enough trypophobia inducing images to know everything I care to about those things.