Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

Screw raindrops on roses (not you Rosie, I mean the flower :P)

Have some raindrops on spiders!

http://www.wired.co....!image-number=1

That spider has mad skillz. XD

I found something pretty funny on the interwebs. This person is making comics based on real facts about insects.

Here's one that relates to the house fly:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs39/f/2008/315/5/0/Insect_Comic_5_by_rongs1234.jpg

I think the main concern with botfly is there is no real way to spotlight them here that wouldn't earn you a warning. Certain stuff isn't welcome on this forum.

Bugmaster, I'm still waiting for the next one! :smirk:

I know, I've been lazy. I'll have the next one up soon, I promise.

Okay, post birthday bug highlight is a go! Some people might not consider crustaceans as bugs, but they are arthropods. In the Bugmaster's eyes, they are the insects and spiders of the sea! And the occasional freshwater habitat as well. I want you all to give a big, warm welcome to the Peacock Mantis Shrimp!

tumblr_m3djygkKEE1ruqes2o2_500.jpg

Peacock_clown_Mantis_Shrimp2.jpg

The PMS, (Did you really think I would spell out it's whole name each time?) is quite the creature, both in appearance and action. It has the body shape of a Shrimp, the vivid coloration of a Peacock, and the raptorial claw like forearms of a Praying Mantis. They can be found in the Indo-Pacific from Guam to East Africa and range from 1 to 7 inches in length. They like to dig and reside in U shaped burrows within the loose substrate near corral reefs.

One of their most incredible features are their incredibly powerful forearms. PMS's are predatory creatures, and for their size, most formidable hunters indeed. PMS's are smashers and use their club like forearms to repeatedly smash open the shells of crustaceans and bivalves to eat away at soft tissue underneath. These are their favorite food, second to gastropods (No shell = No work) How hard do they hit? Try the speed of 50 miles per hour and a force created of 200 pounds per punch! This is a stronger impact than the shot of a 22. caliber handgun. I am not kidding folks, these guys are amazing.

They can also grow back any of their limbs should they fall off.

It doesn't stop there. The PMS also has vastly superior eyesight, Often exclaimed as the best in all the animal kingdom. For starters, their eyes are attached to mobile stalks and can move independently of each other. They also posses what is called ‘trinocular vision’ which means they can see just as fine with one eye covered/gone then with both, unlike humans and almost every other mammal. They can also perceive a wide array of colors that most animals can't thanks to their complex eyes. I won't go into detail of stuff that neither you or me will quite understand but the midsection of each eye consists of six parallel strips, each containing different light-sensitive cells called photo-receptors. The things they can see that we can't include infrared, ultraviolet, and polarized light.

This amazingly versatile animal also commonly finds it's way into aquarium tanks, both in expected and unexpected ways. A good deal of aquarium enthusiasts have gone to the pet store to stock up of various sea life, substrate, suitable water, decorations and other supplies to fill their tanks with, only to wake up the next morning to find all of the tanks inhabitants dead or missing. All but one that is. You see, the coral pet stores sell often comes straight from the ocean and sometimes, with a certain colorful stowaway. PMS's aren't too fond of neighbors, and will readily kill all other occupants of the tank until only he remains. As bad as this sounds, it could turn out even worse. Sometimes, owners will leave the tank unsupervised and come back to find it right out shattered. When the PMS digging it's burrow and comes across something that isn't easily moved, in this case aquarium glass, it's first instinct is to try and smash through it if he feels his burrow isn't big enough yet. With their strength, a regular old fish tank doesn't stand a chance.

As problematic as the above scenarios sound, PMS's also often find their way into owners tanks, but with welcome arms. That's right, the PMS by itself makes an excellent pet! The are very intelligent and curious and can even interact with their owners. One way you can do this by sticking a a piece of food on a stick and let your PMS chase it around playfully. They also spend a fair amount of their time peering out of their lairs at whatever is happening outside the tank and will trace your movements. With their suburb eyesight, I would be willing to bet that they could recognize the face of their keeper. They have a decent lifespan as far as aquatic pets go, being at least 4 years and more depending on how well you care for them. However, speaking of care, you should treat PMS's a bit differently than other aquarium pets. Firstly, any other inhabitants should be intended as food, since they don't like room mates as mentioned above. Their punch is easily more than enough to break your finger, so don't go sticking your hand in the tank. I heard that a PMS will hold back a punch on their owner and as amazing as that sounds, I definitely wouldn't try it in person.

I really hope that some of this doesn't come off as far fetched due to my love of this fantastic creation of mother nature. I've done an extensive bit of research on these guys, so as far as I know, every bit of this is true. Should you choose to do some research yourself, feel free to post your own findings on the marvel that is the Peacock Mantis Shrimp.

Oh yeah?! Happy Birthday, Bugmaster! May all your buggy dreams come true!

N9VkR.gif

Errrrr.....I really like the highlight, but now I'm craving shrimp cocktail...

Plus, Happy Belated Birthday! :D

Thank you gals :)

That shrimp is something crazy! So pretty, too! You just had to call it a PMS though, huh? :green:

You know rosie... I had to hold myself back from making a joke about that... and you just HAD to do it anyway... didn't you?!

Monsieur Bugmaster, could you do me a favor? I request an identification and spotlight on this little blighter. It eats all my pomegranates, and I have never seen it anywhere else in my area, just my pomegranate tree.

0718121203a.jpg

I apologize for the out of focus image, but my phone camera is a herpaderp and cant seem to autofocus properly.

All I can tell you is that its about 1 inch long, maybe shorter, and uses a proboscis to pierce the pomegranate.

Monsieur Bugmaster, could you do me a favor? I request an identification and spotlight on this little blighter. It eats all my pomegranates, and I have never seen it anywhere else in my area, just my pomegranate tree.

0718121203a.jpg

I apologize for the out of focus image, but my phone camera is a herpaderp and cant seem to autofocus properly.

All I can tell you is that its about 1 inch long, maybe shorter, and uses a proboscis to pierce the pomegranate.

Heh, you may be in luck. Out of the few gifts I got for my birthday, one of them is a North America insect and arachnid field book for identifying bugs! I'd be glad to take a shot at it as soon as I get back to my mom's house. If you can snag a higher quality picture and upload it, I'm sure that would help too.

0718121203a.jpg

I have you beaten, Bugmaster! That is a Leaf-Footed Plant Bug (Leptoglossus phyllopus). Source.

Requesting spotlight immediately.

Also I totally believe you about the PMS thing! Hilarious! :D

I have you beaten, Bugmaster! That is a Leaf-Footed Plant Bug (Leptoglossus phyllopus). Source.

Requesting spotlight immediately.

Also I totally believe you about the PMS thing! Hilarious! :D

Well I'll be a son of a gun... Not only do I have followers willing to do the light work for me, but they're actually competent at it. Perhaps my arthropod army could use a few non arthropod lieutenants. You interested Rosewind?

As for the highlight, I stayed up all night doing stuff. Maybe when I get more sleep.

Actually, never mind. I don't think my soldiers would be too fond of being served freshly baked treats made from their own kin.

What about the arachnids? And wasps? Praying mantis too! There are plenty of bugs that eat other bugs!

The loyal soldiers of the Stonetribe empire are big as humans, talk, and are sentient. They are above the barbaric act of eating one another to survive and- oh hold on a second.

"What? Well yeah I know your different then regular bugs but..."

"But their your own kind!"

"In a, like a spiritual connection-"

"Yeah but I-"

"No I'm not saying we can't eat meat at all I'm just!"

"But-"

"Alright, alright fine!"

Bake your stupid cupcakes Rose...

"Now what?"

"Oh you big babies, alright I'll tell her!"

Make sure the have pink frosting.

So um, what kind of bugs would go good in cupcakes? Crickets are out -- they have a shrimp-like flavor that would not go terribly well in pastry. I'm thinking like ants! Cinnant cupcakes?

I hear that people put caterpillars in their salads in Greece. Maybe the same can go for cupcakes?