Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

If you've visted my intrduction page, then you probably saw that I have a huge interest in all things arthropods. I like to make this thread on forums I actively visit to indulge this interest of mine. What happens is that I do periodic "highlights" where I'll talk about a certain insect, listing off various information about them including how big they are or where they can be found to more interesting facts that set them apart from other bugs or any other creature for that manor. The point of this thread is to have fun learning cool things about these fascinating creatures, so please refrain from talking about how you hate all things that have more that 4 legs. Please keep videos of forced bug fightinh off here as well, thanks. I'll do my first highlight later tonight, so feel free to check back later if your interested.

• Like 1

awesome, I'm really looking forward to this thread :^D

I find insects and such fascinating as long as they're not on me, or likely to jump at me. I always try to hide bugs when I find them because I don't want other people killing them XD

• Like 1

I think I'll start of with quite what could be possibly my favorite insect of all time.

This is a specific species of ant know as Argentine ants.

The biggest thing that sets Argentine ants apart from other ant species is there incredibly nonviolent behavior towards other Argentine ants of a different colony. You see, if any other species of ant came across another ant, regardless its species, of a different colony, they would most likely fight to the death if one thought the other would be a threat to her colony. Argentine ants however, can peacefully coexist and mingle with argentines from a different colony, and will often communicate with one another to actually combine both of their colonys into one. Because of this, they are extreamly succesful as a species. In fact, it was discovered that 3 supercolonys of argentine ants from America, Europe, and Japan were genetically related! Speaking of which, Argentine ants can be found in almost any part of the world. This is because they often stow away on boats or other large vehicles, which is the main reason why they have become so wide spread in the first place. Argentine ants are small, roughly 3 millimeters. But what they lack in size they make up with streangth in numbers and teamwork. Much more so than other ants, which is allready alot to begin with. Another trait that makes them so successfull is that they dont have just one queen. Argentine nests can usually have up to a dozen queens or more. A queen can be reconized by having a notable dot their back.

In my opinion, an argentine's sociaty is much better than our own in many, many ways. They never quarall amongst one another, they always work for the benefit of the whole, and they never hesitate to help a fellow argentine in need. Just try to imagine what human life would be like if we all shared these traits. 

hum5.jpg?w=400&h=389

Ok. That's my first highlight. Feel free to go ahead and tell me what you think.

• Like 1

*snaps her hooves* Darn...

I've always liked how mantids court each other. Too bad it doesn't work out well for the male.

Things like a forced fight of two spiders put in the same small cage need to stay out. But videos of insects preying on or defending themselves in the wild are just fine. Here's an example while were on the subject of ants.

I'd also like to say that the case of a female mantis eating the male after mating is actually rather uncommon. Breeding makes the female rather hungry so she'll only try to devour the male if she hasn't eaten relatively recently.

• Like 1

I've never been an insect person, mostly because i can't really handle things with more then 2 eyes, but i don't exactly mind them, considering the fact they're everywhere in my house. however, to respond on your opinion on argentine ants, i can't exactly agree with you on that. Ants are a hive-mind, and if that's correct, then that means everyone follows one person blindly, without question. with insects this can work, since they naturally work for the best, but with humans, not so much. I don't want to get into a philosophical debate unless that's the subject though, so ill leave it at that.

I've never been an insect person, mostly because i can't really handle things with more then 2 eyes, but i don't exactly mind them, considering the fact they're everywhere in my house. however, to respond on your opinion on argentine ants, i can't exactly agree with you on that. Ants are a hive-mind, and if that's correct, then that means everyone follows one person blindly, without question. with insects this can work, since they naturally work for the best, but with humans, not so much. I don't want to get into a philosophical debate unless that's the subject though, so ill leave it at that.

I know exactly what your trying to get across. The biggest thing that limits us is human emotion and desire. We could ignore our petty differences in order to progress, but often choose to take action for some other, trivial pursuit. Sentience is both a blessing and a curse. It's that very lack of thinking that makes argentines so successful. I can't help but wonder how they would behave if the slowly started to evolve and become smarter. Would they follow in the wake of humans and have a history similar to ours? Or could they manage a society where each individual could think for themselves, but will still always work together to benefit the race as a whole? I'm very much for philosophy so feel free to talk to me if your in the mood. But let's keep the discussion here about bugs.

An ant mock war? I can't say I'm familiar with that.

I read somewhere about a species of ants that when they have hostilities between colonies, they would assemble forces within sight of each other, then the ants would start posturing, and generally try to look the toughest, and fights were determined that way. Also, some ant species often take slaves of their defeated enemies.

Can't say I've heard of ant fake battles but I am familiar with the latter ants who enslave others. It's actually quite interesting. You see these kinds of ant's mandibles are so adapted for combat, that they can hardly perform other tasks like digging or even feeding themselves. To compensate, the will raid other colonys, killing as many inhabitants as needed, and steal their eggs. Afterwards, the raise the newborns to do any of the things they can't on there own. What seems like a cruel endeavor is actually an incredible evolotionary learned instinct!

Sometimes, yes, that will occur. But I think the whole mantis sexual cannibalism is a bit too exaggerated then it is in real life. Don't be fooled though. There's a reason why male mantids approach females with much caution when they intend to mate.

I wish human males did that.

So Stony, out of morbid, burning curiosity, have you played Pokémon before, and if so, can I venture to guess what your team looks like? :blah:

As far as killing bugs goes, I have a policy I call the Rule of Dominion. I will not intentionally take the life of a creature unless I mean to eat it or it's threatening me. Inside my home, however, it's fair game. :mad:

• Like 5

As far as killing bugs goes, I have a policy I call the Rule of Dominion. I will not intentionally take the life of a creature unless I mean to eat it or it's threatening me. Inside my home, however, it's fair game. :mad:

funny. I have a similar rule to abide by with bugs. I'm cool with you being around as long as you dont touch me, my food, or anywhere I lounge. However violation of this pact is grounds for immediate Execution by means of Squishification by hand or book/Flushification depending on size and species of said insect in violation of aforementioned pact. (not gonna squash a big ole centipede on my arm, and certainly not one of those pesky invasive chinese stink beetles either.)

I wish human males did that.

So Stony, out of morbid, burning curiosity, have you played Pokémon before, and if so, can I venture to guess what your team looks like? :blah:

Ha ha, yes I do enjoy pokemon from time to time. However, I only tend to start raising an all bug type team untill after I have beaten the main game, when I have more resources. It's too bad that most bug types tend to be weaker canditates for combat and thus, are harder to raise. But then again, that might be part of why they apeal to me. As for killing bugs, I can't ask you to not do so. But I will at least encourage you to think twice before grabing a newspaper. Spiders for instance, eat all sorts of critters that actually areharmful to you like moisquitos. Don't be afraid of them biting you, they would only do that if you were provoking them like an idiot, and even then they would almost always rather just try and run away. Almost all living things have the basic survival instinct of knowing that "big things eat little things". Think about it like this, If you saw a giant creature the size of a skyscrapper, are you gonna run up and stab him in the toe? Or are you gonna keep your distance or at the very least, just leave him alone? That's what most bugs are thinking when they think your paying attention to them.

So are we done talking about ants? It didn't seem like much but if we are, I'll move onto a different insect for now.

Ants are awesome -- they're one of the most successful and organized species to roam the Earth, and they're almost all female. What does that say?

That male ants have found the perfect way to get the female ones to do all the work. :smug:

• Like 1

Ants are awesome -- they're one of the most successful and organized species to roam the Earth, and they're almost all female. What does that say?

In the animal world, it seems that females tend to play more dominent roles than their male counterparts, and this goes doubley for bugs. In an ant colony, females are born much more adapt to do anything that needs doing while males are merley drones used for reproduction. For a lot of bugs, more often than not, the guys serve little more than sex slaves, often dying after that use as been sought, while the girls get to have all the glory. Don't you just love nature?

Ants ! I don't like most bugs, but I like ants. There's always so much interesting stuff to learn about them.

I don't have much to contribute, however. I just like your thread Stonetribe !

On the killing of insects or any creature, I don't believe in needless killing. Basically, if there is a pest, no matter the size, I strive to capture and release. There are of course exceptions... If a creature can or will harm me, it's fair game. And if I am to kill anything of my own volition that does not pose a threat, it will be for my own survival.

It is a shame that the creatures we look down upon are often more civilized than ourselves. I've never heard of a predatory animal killing for fun, and conflicts within the animal kingdom are usually contained. Insect not so much as they can have territory wars if I recall correctly. But within society they are more civil than any human society.

Also, as much as I don't mind ants, I recognize that they are becoming on the pest level in some areas, disputing the food chain because they were introduced through shipping or traveling. If anything they are too organized...

On spiders... I love them. I do respect them just as much however, whether they are venomous enough to kill me or not. Besides, spiders are cool. Have you seen their webs? Totally awesome.

The only insect that I have issues with are the wasps known as yellow jackets. All other wasps seem to be content with killing insects or small creatures, but yellow jackets seem to like our food. And due to that they interact with humans and thus are more likely to sting. I generally consider yellow jackets evil for this reason.

Oh and mosquitos... But they don't seem to bother me as much anymore (as in they don't seem to bite me as much, and this is despite being O type blood which i have read is their preferential human blood type. However, that is the only creature I have killed in recent memory, and it was more reactionary than anything.

Though I suspect, in research, I may have to do animal studies in the future... Though I'm not there yet, I'd prefer to remain on the microscopic level and not do harm to a creature. However if doing so means I can cure a disease, I'll do it for the greater good and science. I had to kill mutated fruit flies in the past, but that was for the greater good, as those mutations would have been more destructive.

Apologies for rambling...

On the killing of insects or any creature, I don't believe in needless killing. Basically, if there is a pest, no matter the size, I strive to capture and release. There are of course exceptions... If a creature can or will harm me, it's fair game. And if I am to kill anything of my own volition that does not pose a threat, it will be for my own survival.

It is a shame that the creatures we look down upon are often more civilized than ourselves. I've never heard of a predatory animal killing for fun, and conflicts within the animal kingdom are usually contained. Insect not so much as they can have territory wars if I recall correctly. But within society they are more civil than any human society.

Also, as much as I don't mind ants, I recognize that they are becoming on the pest level in some areas, disputing the food chain because they were introduced through shipping or traveling. If anything they are too organized...

On spiders... I love them. I do respect them just as much however, whether they are venomous enough to kill me or not. Besides, spiders are cool. Have you seen their webs? Totally awesome.

The only insect that I have issues with are the wasps known as yellow jackets. All other wasps seem to be content with killing insects or small creatures, but yellow jackets seem to like our food. And due to that they interact with humans and thus are more likely to sting. I generally consider yellow jackets evil for this reason.

Oh and mosquitos... But they don't seem to bother me as much anymore (as in they don't seem to bite me as much, and this is despite being O type blood which i have read is their preferential human blood type. However, that is the only creature I have killed in recent memory, and it was more reactionary than anything.

Though I suspect, in research, I may have to do animal studies in the future... Though I'm not there yet, I'd prefer to remain on the microscopic level and not do harm to a creature. However if doing so means I can cure a disease, I'll do it for the greater good and science. I had to kill mutated fruit flies in the past, but that was for the greater good, as those mutations would have been more destructive.

Apologies for rambling...

No need to apologize, that's just the kind of discusion I want to see here. I do like bugs, make no mistake, but if it becomes a pest like ants raiding your pantry or termites living in your house, by all means, they have got to go. I love insects, but not to the point where I'll let them slowly destroy my house, that would just be stupid. Like I said before though, when I look at an argentine colony, I see a civilization that's better than our own in many ways. Also, the idea of being a drone ant, existing soley to mate might seem apealing, but there not like humans. Their life can be sumerized by being born, kept in a room for whenever you are needed to mate, in which doing so consists of a matter of seconds, and then either being eaten, or dieing naturaly as many male insects do after mating. Not very glamorous if you ask me.

It is a shame that the creatures we look down upon are often more civilized than ourselves. I've never heard of a predatory animal killing for fun,

Many species in the cat family, especially the domestic household cat, hunt and kill even when not very hungry.

Many species in the cat family, especially the domestic household cat, hunt and kill even when not very hungry.

I've actually only heard of the domestic cat doing that... If you could cite examples of other species of cat that hunt for fun it would be appreciated.

My theory is this btw... Domesticated animals are likely to hunt and kill for fun because they don't need to hunt for survival. Same as humans. Wild animals hunt to survive. They can't just waste a kill.