Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

I sense a hint of resentfulness from you. I'm a good sport about these things but my insect followers? Not so much. The water bugs said they would behave when I asked. But just in case, well I'm sure you take showers as apposed to baths right?

this legitimately scares me. I saw the twilight zone movie man! A dude gets eaten by a swarm of cockroaches in his bath tub! Dont screw with me on this! :eek:

The guy died of asphyxiation by cockroaches! You'd need a ton of them for that... a ton :-o I do not like it when bugs swarm. With maybe 10 I am fine, but when there are hundreds I feel uncomfortable.

I myself love it when bugs swarm. I have a firm belief in the power of many against one. I know I posted this video in this thread before, but I really love it so too bad.

I really...REALLY...dont care what you say about them being harmless the sight of a swarm of cockroaches going into and out of a guys mouth, forever ruined me for them. There was even an event at my school where we went to an assembly and got to handle exotic bugs, rhino beetle, awesome, stick bug SUPER COOL got to hold them both. then came the german cockroaches. I ran away and screamed about how they were going to eat my lungs .

also we need to stop talking about creepy water things now...Im a great swimmer, was on a team and everything, but the prospect of not seeing whats right around my legs and having a VERY vivid and overactive imagination makes for well...a lot of hesitance to tread in that kind of water as it is. Please stop.

I should find a clip of that scene from creepshow...

Heh, that water bug is creepy. Now I want to find one in real life :D

With all the requests everybody made, can I request something on moths ? They're the prettiest insects of the world, in my opinion.

Heh, that water bug is creepy. Now I want to find one in real life :D

With all the requests everybody made, can I request something on moths ? They're the prettiest insects of the world, in my opinion.

I'd be glad to :)

Things like a forced fight of two spiders put in the same small cage need to stay out. But videos of insects preying on or defending themselves in the wild are just fine. Here's an example while were on the subject of ants.

I'd also like to say that the case of a female mantis eating the male after mating is actually rather uncommon. Breeding makes the female rather hungry so she'll only try to devour the male if she hasn't eaten relatively recently.

Poor crab, must have been agony

Bugmaster -- since you've raised my buggy awareness, I've been less hasty to kill insects when I come across them in my home. Knowledge in the right place can truly make a difference.

I'm sure you're quite delighted to hear this!

(Saucy is getting big in her corner.)

Bugmaster -- since you've raised my buggy awareness, I've been less hasty to kill insects when I come across them in my home. Knowledge in the right place can truly make a difference.

I'm sure you're quite delighted to hear this!

(Saucy is getting big in her corner.)

I am very delighted to hear this! Knowing that my thread caused somepony to make an effort to not kill bugs is exactly the kind of thing that makes it worthwhile.

so do they carry any sort of diseases? I fell like something thats crawling around in still water all the time might

I always found this unfair... Every organism carries diseases or bacterium that could be potentially harmful to another. Yes, that includes humans. The question is, do you or the creature have the tools to destroy the foreign pathogens. When an insect is "disease carrying" all it means is that it carries a pathogen that is potentially harmful to you. However, humans carried over their diseases from Europe to the "new world" too. Killing the indigenous. In fact, the pathogens carried by most insects, save a few, have done relatively little to harm the humans as a species. The diseases that European travelers brought to the "new world" not only killed, but decimated the indigenous populations. There are two insect borne pathogens that have had such an effect on humans to my knowledge. Malaria, which is spread through mosquitoes, and The Black Plague, which was spread *initially* by fleas. Why did I put initially in asterisks? Well, that is because after they started it, HUMANS did the rest. We spread more disease than any creature on the planet. If you get sick, its likely because you came in contact with an INFECTED PERSON, not an infected organism. There are few exceptions to this, and almost all of them involve bacteria and airborne viruses. Think of the last time you got sick, chances are you were near a PERSON whom was coughing, not some insect that landed on you, or a cockroach that was chilling in your apartment eating scraps of food in your garbage.

Edit: In reference to the water bug. You are more likely to get sick AFTER it has bitten you and breached your skin from the BACTERIA in the water, that now can enter your system. But why blame the bug for that? The same could happen if you step on a sharp rock.

I always found this unfair... Every organism carries diseases or bacterium that could be potentially harmful to another. Yes, that includes humans. The question is, do you or the creature have the tools to destroy the foreign pathogens. When an insect is "disease carrying" all it means is that it carries a pathogen that is potentially harmful to you. However, humans carried over their diseases from Europe to the "new world" too. Killing the indigenous. In fact, the pathogens carried by most insects, save a few, have done relatively little to harm the humans as a species. The diseases that European travelers brought to the "new world" not only killed, but decimated the indigenous populations. There are two insect borne pathogens that have had such an effect on humans to my knowledge. Malaria, which is spread through mosquitoes, and The Black Plague, which was spread *initially* by fleas. Why did I put initially in asterisks? Well, that is because after they started it, HUMANS did the rest. We spread more disease than any creature on the planet. If you get sick, its likely because you came in contact with an INFECTED PERSON, not an infected organism. There are few exceptions to this, and almost all of them involve bacteria and airborne viruses. Think of the last time you got sick, chances are you were near a PERSON whom was coughing, not some insect that landed on you, or a cockroach that was chilling in your apartment eating scraps of food in your garbage.

Edit: In reference to the water bug. You are more likely to get sick AFTER it has bitten you and breached your skin from the BACTERIA in the water, that now can enter your system. But why blame the bug for that? The same could happen if you step on a sharp rock.

hey woah woah hey woah hey hey woah! I am well aware of all that! Of course everything has bactieria and microorganisms on them some of them beneficial! (reason I dont use hand sanitizer every hour) Either way my phrasing got the point across,you understood what I meant. So did Stoney. I was just curious if there was anything more to worry about something that was giving me the heebee-jeeebees! And yeah if I get sick Im not going to think it was a bug from the forest I went trekking in last week. Thats absurd, as you said there is a much higher chance I touched some disease ridden elevator button and then ate a sandwich without washing my hands, or some sick person sneezed on me. Sorry to set you off like that I really just wanted an answer :-( I have no bias against the buggies swirly.

Wow, that was a very good and well worded defense you made swirl. I've never really thought about people blaming creatures for their disease carrying potential, much less whether it was their fault or not. Bravo, I'm glad I have somepony like you who sticks around in my thread.

hey woah woah hey woah hey hey woah! I am well aware of all that! Of course everything has bactieria and microorganisms on them some of them beneficial! (reason I dont use hand sanitizer every hour) Either way my phrasing got the point across,you understood what I meant. So did Stoney. I was just curious if there was anything more to worry about something that was giving me the heebee-jeeebees! And yeah if I get sick Im not going to think it was a bug from the forest I went trekking in last week. Thats absurd, as you said there is a much higher chance I touched some disease ridden elevator button and then ate a sandwich without washing my hands, or some sick person sneezed on me. Sorry to set you off like that I really just wanted an answer :-( I have no bias against the buggies swirly.

Swirly is a scientist by trade -- don't confuse his passion for anything else but a friendly willingness to share his knowledge with you! It's very hard to tell tonality by words on an internet forum, and I know Swirly well enough to say he means you all due respect.

Since we had a spotlight on a water bug, I would like to request its much cuter cousin: the water strider! Please, O Bugmaster, share thine knowledge with us!

Swirly is a scientist by trade -- don't confuse his passion for anything else but a friendly willingness to share his knowledge with you! It's very hard to tell tonality by words on an internet forum, and I know Swirly well enough to say he means you all due respect.

Since we had a spotlight on a water bug, I would like to request its much cuter cousin: the water strider! Please, O Bugmaster, share thine knowledge with us!

There are actually a few facts about the water strider I do want to share, I think it will surprise a good number of people. But I promised to do a highlight on a moth first. Until then, can we hold off on the requests? I'm more than happy to do them, but I'd rather not have them pile up.

yeah kinda figured. Biologist right? I just felt a little accused was all. Sorry if I mistook your tone Swirly, no hard feelings :sad: