Name: Partheus

Sex: Male

Species: Human

Eye colour: Light blue

Skin colour: White

Hair colour/style: Dark brown, short ponytail

Physique: Thin, but well defined

Cutie mark: None

Origin/residence: Born in Hominopolis, temporarily staying in Twilight's house, may move to Canterlot some day

Motivation: To protect Equestria and his new-found friends with his last breath

Likes: Being outdoors, learning about new things, eating feed

Dislikes: People touching his satchel, other humans, eating hay

Character summary: Partheus was born and raised in Hominopolis, a large walled city that is the human equivalent of Equestria. Humans are normally cruel creatures that have no concept of friendship, and would rather stab their fellow man in the back than help them out. But, Partheus was different. He knew there had to be something more to life than selfish pursuits. He spent his childhood being taunted and ridiculed by people his age for thinking differently, and his parents refused to do anything about it. They hated him as much as the kids did, thinking he was some lazy daydreamer who didn't have a clue on how the world really worked.

At the age of 11, Partheus was given a choice between manual labour for the rest of his days, which guaranteed money and a house of his own once he was old enough, or higher education, which didn't. Most people his age picked manual labour, so out of defiance, Partheus picked higher education, much to the disapproval of his parents, who were both manual labourers. He hoped that he would finally break free from the oppressive cycle of bullying and find solace in knowledge. Sadly, for the next five years of his life, he was once again reduced to being the local idiot for dreaming of a better world. This tragically led to him beating one of his tormentors within an inch of his life, excluding him entirely from higher education. This experience set in stone Partheus' hatred for other human beings, viewing them as unforgiving monsters.

At the age of 16, a drop out from school and hated by all, he was given another choice; manual labour or the Human League, the military force of Hominopolis. Still wanting to avoid the life of mediocrity that his parents were beset with, he chose the Human League, as a last-ditch effort to escape the perpetual nightmare society had crafted for itself. The Human League was harsh, but unlike the other tormentors Partheus had met all throughout his life, the torment was cathartic in nature; there was a point to the suffering, and it made Partheus stronger both physically and mentally. After a gruelling year's worth of basic training, he chose to become a messenger, delivering letters to and from Hominiopolis and other places in the Five Realms, the five continents that make up the world. Finally, he could fulfil his childhood dream and discover what was really out there.

He spent the next ten years of his life serving Hominopolis well, travelling all across the Five Realms, from the swampy jungles of Eden, to the fiery depths of Draconia, to the icy wastelands of Tundra, and even making brief stays in the mysterious and haunting Tsua Fei Islands. He was given his own house, in the countryside of Taiga, the central Realm. That way, he could be on the move faster than if he lived in Hominopolis, and he was completely isolated from humanity, whom he had grown to despise. One night, while delivering a letter from Draconia to Hominopolis, he was attacked by bandits. He managed to fight them off, but he was badly wounded, and needed to make an emergency stop in the nearest settlement.

Hominopolis was too far away, so he had to make a detour into uncharted territory, and hope for the best. This uncharted territory turned out to be Equestria, who had not sighted a human in over 2000 years. He made his way to Ponyville, before collapsing in Sugarcube Corner. While recovering in Ponyville Hospital, he met and befriended Twilight Sparkle, and while he was a little thrown by the concept of talking horses, he slowly became accustomed to it. Twilight gave Partheus a basic overview of Equestria and how things worked, which left him with an insatiable appetite to learn more. When he could finally walk, he decided to travel across Equestria, using Twilight Sparkle's house as a hub to return to once in a while.

Partheus is a fairly friendly man who tries his best to befriend others, but often fails due to his darker, more human tendencies. He is currently in the process of learning what friendship means from Twilight and her friends, absorbing various morals and lessons as he makes his way around this new country he had found himself in. However, the hatred and anger that has accumulated within Partheus throughout his life has taken the form of a powerful but unstable energy source within himself. If someone or something gets him angry, this energy is released as a strange red lightning that courses through his body, granting him superhuman strength and speed, at the cost of his ability to reason or think.

As he learned more about friendship, it formed a more stable energy source within himself. This means that he can use it to cast magic, which is something no human has ever been able to do before. Twilight Sparkle tries to teach Partheus magic, but he often fails, leading to many accidents within her house. He normally carries a sword when on duty in the Human League, but when travelling around Equestria, he chooses not to, for fear he will scare citizens who will be already unnerved by the sight of a strange creature walking among them. However, if the opportunity arises, he will use one. He wears a satchel, which contains various tools, potions, and items that come in handy when he is travelling. It also contains the letter he was meant to deliver to Hominopolis, so if anybody tries to touch his satchel in any way, it'll get him very angry, very fast.

I really like this character description. A lot of the stuff I already knew from our RPs, but hearing about his childhood is especially interesting. I find it fascinating that you focus on the humans as being selfish and unfriendly, in contrast to the ponies. Interesting dynamic in your headcanon. :)

Human characters are only bad if they are done badly.

I'll admit, I hate most human characters in Equestria, partially because they are often self-inserts of the author, and partially because they simply don't fit the context of the show at all. For instance, most of them are just lazily magicked into Equestria with some nonsense science-fiction, with no real reason to be there. And, hardly any of them tackle the various philosophical and political issues this would raise. How would the citizens react to a strange creature like a human? How would they cope with the clash of ideals the human possesses? How would the human cope living in a world vastly different to his own, with vaguely recognisable features, but utterly alien concepts, such as talking horses?

For one thing, Partheus is nothing like me as a person. He's the polar opposite of myself; instead of being an isolated individual who could make friends, but chooses not to, he is an out-going individual who can't seem to make many friends due to his human tendencies. Also, I have crafted a world figuratively and literally around Equestria, to give Partheus a well-justified reason for being there, and a chance to expand upon the tired old concept of "big monster threatens Equestria, Mane Six blast it with Elements of Harmony, rinse, repeat". Additionally, Partheus tackles these issues frequently in the RPs he is in.

So, to the best of my knowledge and ability, Partheus is a human character done right.

Yay! My character is legit!

(Wait, wasn't I already legit before?)

No, you weren't. You were a stowaway. And how are we talking?

(No thanks to you and your fetish for drama, I'm used to being in places I'm not welcome in. And, we're able to talk because Pinkie Pie broke the 4th Wall... again... One moment, I'll go get the Duct Tape...)