Dark Star: Tale of a Broken Stallion

DarkStar

Mom and Dad... those two names were the only ones I knew for my parents as of then and now. I hadn't really bothered to remember names and faces lately. But I do know at least how I always addressed my parents. I used to live on an old farm in Aquestria... a part of a town that I don't even remember, either. Those memories should be long forgotten... but I'll never forget the day that I left home. I had no choice... and I never wanted to go back.

I was the feeder of the crew as a small pony. Feeding and tending to the animals was a skill I've learned and developed at a fast rate. It's one of the attributes to my talent... intelligence. I could learn almost anything in a rather short period of time. I loved my parents to death. My dad was my philosopher... he taught me about almost everything. My mother was simply an awesome companion. Just thinking about spending time with my parents actually makes me feel happy for once... but sad at the same time.

One night... I was sprawled about under the stars at night time. Feeling the fresh breeze... leaves blowing and flowing in the breeze, and the beautiful bright stars shining and twinkling in a symphony of light. My mother was with me at the time... “What do you think is up there, Mommy?” I asked her, and she simply smiled at me.

“Who knows? Maybe there are other planets out there.. maybe ones with ponies, too. Like you and me! Maybe with more special talents than us...” she sighed, then rolled over to tickle my belly a little with a warm hoof. I was a kid... so how could I not giggle? “...But they'll never be as special as you, Star.” she said with a loving tone and smile... nuzzling me as she said it.

“I love you, Mommy...” I responded, as I cuddled into the mare that had given me life. I loved her so much, and Dad too. We cuddled that night as she spoke back.

“I love you too, Star Bright.” ...that was my birth name. I was said to be as bright as the sun, and my previous white coat gave me a visually bright feature. Aside from my previously black mane, of course. It stood out like a sore hoof, but the rest of my white coat had outweighed the darkness.

That was the best night I had ever spent with my parents... I probably haven't cuddled into my parents the way I did in quite a while until that one night. Dad came over too... and he didn't hesitate to snuggle with us as we spent the night outside. Not even thinking or worrying about anything, and just enjoying the time we had then in the best and last parent-child relationship we had. My father always encouraged me to be a little less sentimental like that... but I just couldn't help it that night. I don't think he could, either. I know that he loved his mate and me more than anything in all of Aquestria, and I don't think even a tough stallion like him could resist showing at least some of that love.

I never would have thought that would be the last time I'd ever show their son's true love that way again...

It was sometime early in the morning... I remember I was playing with one of my best friends. I don't remember her name... but we would always play out on the ranch together. That morning in particular, we were being typical playmates... chasing each other around on the wide open field. Placing what little obstacles there were between us as we ran around without a care in the world. The sun was a few inches above the horizon, the sky and clouds were absolutely gorgeous every time I would look up... the wonders of our environment sometimes distracted me when I was supposed to be focusing on something else. As I looked up at the sky, I ran into a thick trunk of a tree... followed by the falling of a few apples and an antagonizing headache. Until she decided to tackle me and drive me further into the ground. There was never a better filly I've seen that could round up a bunch of apples the way she could... it was one of the main reasons I highly respected the young filly. I don't remember much about her... other than the fact that she was a worker like no other. Even if she were tired... she never gave up until the job was done.

I don't remember exactly what she looked like...

But I wish I at least remembered her name...

Later that day, I was with my parents, mainly so I could gain experience in gathering for the family. Knowing it was the natural responsibility to supply our hometown with food so that we can all survive. Like my friend... I was going to be in charge of gathering apples most of the time. It was a beautiful walk for being miles away from home... the trees were filled with rich and ripe apples just begging to be bucked down. … Until they came.

Suddenly... we saw this massive stream of energy descend from the heavens. We had no idea the purpose of this enormous stream that seemed to originate from the sky. Until we saw something huge... something of such a great size that it was intimidating just to look at from a distance. As if the large and flexible hollow energy stream allowed enough room for just one of those things! As we saw a huge... massive city. A city on wheels, headed straight for our town! As soon as the damned thing landed... it was destroying everything in its path, and started sucking up every natural item below it! Kicking up massive dust clouds and going slower than expected... as if it were taking its time in destroying everything in its path!

Our shock and awe was soon broken... as what appeared to be a sort of scouting party was headed our way. Their wicked and insanely twisted laughs are still clear in my mind as of today... I've never seen lifeforms quite like these. The only bare skin showed was their blue skinned, red eyed heads. Their language sounding like gibberish to me as they seemed to communicate with one another... their torsos and limbs looking almost machine like. It was either me, or it was their armor that looked machine like, and I knew there was something organic behind those bodies of armor...

Weapons of a sort I could see on each of their right arms. I had no idea what they did until they started firing at us... slow moving, but destructive orange energy bolts flying at us. Snapping me out of it, my father had pushed me to the side as we both dodged away, though the explosion caused by the energy bolt... it sent us both flying away. I hit my head against a large, thick brown tree trunk. Knocking myself completely out cold. Everything went black, and I have no idea how my parents held out after that...

I guess it doesn't matter... they never made it anyway.

Slowly coming to... I found myself in mid-air. Having no idea I was being carried by another filly... I heard the sniffling of another as I turned to my side... away from the rainbow trail that caught my eye as I seemed to soar through the sky. As if the poor filly had heard something absolutely awful... I felt sorry for whoever it was that had to carry me away from that terrifying situation.

Just then... we were immediately being followed. As more of the extra-terrestrials were tailing us on their high-fly hover boards. I've never seen a more agile pegasus than this one... she could really turn on a dime. She literally dodged every single shot they fired at us in a desperate attempt to escape, while the members of the invading alien race... they were taunting us as they fired at us. It was humiliating... I couldn't understand what they were saying, but I had every reason to believe that they were trying to taunt and be obnoxious as they tried to take our lives!

It was this that kept me looking forward... gaining more and more trust for the pegasus that was trusted to carry me away from these aliens... she suddenly started to go faster, and we were intentionally going higher and higher into the heavens! I've never experienced such a rush before... the air passing through my mane like a hurricane force wind! I'll admit, it was hard to breathe... but it was an experience of a lifetime after this one pegasus had reached a certain speed... there was literally a bubble forming around us. A bubble of visible air that soon grew thinner and thinner, until the bubble around us started to change colors at an alarming rate...

BOOOOOOM!

The bubble had broken... and rainbows had exploded from us! As we seem to have broken a sort of barrier as we reached an ultimate speed... we were going so fast that the aliens had no hope for catching up to us... everything raced by so quickly... at such an alarming rate that I thought my coat was going to peel off from this speed... suddenly I couldn't breathe. Neither one of us could for a brief moment, and in the next moment, I had instantly spotted the object we were headed for... floating just above our planet's atmosphere.

We flew at it so extremely fast... and being in space, even my helper hardly had any control over where she was floating. Though she seemed to have timed everything perfectly... as we seemed to fly right into an airlock of the space station. A very soft mattress like surface catching us, as the airlock doors close, and the room is suddenly filled with breathable air...

And so began the rest of my life... no way do I ever want to go back.

Soon after my arrival at the space station, I had received word from below that the whatever-it-was tank thing had been destroyed... a minecrawler it was called. Only close to a half hour had passed since I had arrived, and it was declared safe to come back down... but no matter how much the other filly had demanded it, I never followed... not after hearing that there were also two civilian losses... I knew exactly who they were. I had no where else to go... even now, I have no where to go.

I mean... look at me. I'm not even Star Bright anymore... over the years, my coat had changed. As of now... I'm as black as the night. The only thing white on me are the whites of my eyes... and my mane. At least my cutie mark hasn't changed... or my eye color. But I can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore... I was frail. I was weak... I couldn't even stick up for my own parents. I'm a disgrace... I can't ever go back...

I decided to continue the rest of my life on that space station, with a new name... Dark Star. It made a lot more sense to me... and the only reason I ever fall back down to Earth is to resupply, and it's straight back to the station... utilizing a little piece of technology on this station that I modified to my liking. Now it's to the point where outer space is now my new home... not like anypony down there is waiting for me...

They wouldn't like me, anyway...