[Stalliongrad] Shadows and Snowflakes (Open)

ThatWhichIs

It was night in Stalliongrad, and clouds obscured the sky, a common sight in that cold city. Snowflakes drifted lazily through the air, twisting and spinning in beautiful spirals when caught by the gentle breeze, turning the streets of Stalliongrad into a crystalline world of black and white, pools of yellow light defying this natural order as they were cast from uncovered windows of the occasional store or local residence.

Grey Shade drifted down these mostly dark streets, a heavy cloak, white with mottled grey and black, wrapped around her body and the hood over her head. Having just arrived at Stalliongrad earlier that day via airship, she had found herself feeling surprisingly at-home in the icy city, so similar to her home. Much to her embarrassment, however, she had gotten distracted by that sense of familiarity, and had forgotten to find a place to stay for the night, leaving her to try and find an inn or some such as the sun went down. No matter how similar it felt to home, at night the place was a mystery to her, and she quickly found herself lost as she wandered the streets.

"Hey!" came a cry from a stallion a ways down the street, and Grey Shade reacted on instinct. One moment there was the fleeting impression of a cloaked pony stepping out of a pool of light, and the next there was... nothing. Simply a swirl of snowflakes, if perhaps a little bit darker than the surrounding area.

"What is it?" asked a second stallion, stepping around a corner to stand with the first.

"I thought I saw... nah, must've been nothing," replied the first, shaking his head. "I hate these night patrols."

"Maybe you saw a wendigo!" his companion replied, chuckling as he stomped his hooves. "And only a few more weeks before we're rotated back to day-shift..." Their voices trailed off as they rounded the corner and kept on going.

Letting out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding, Grey Shade dropped her spell, what little color there was returning to the world for her as she slowly faded back into view.

Verity's expression was even as she strolled though her all too familiar city. Stalliongrad was her home; it's cold air was refreshing to her. She preferred it to being out in the field. Luckily the Network currently didn't have any orders for her, so she was free to just enjoy her time around town, something which suited her just fine. She enjoyed her work as a top REIN operative, she just enjoyed her time off a little more.

Just because she was off duty didn't mean her eyes weren't working though. As the trained spy moved carefully down the streets by night, her eyes darted quickly to each face she passed. A distance down the street, she could see a scene that raised some alarm. Two stallion night shift guards seemed to be reacting to something that didn't seem to be there. "Seem to" was the critical phrase. To common ponies, even trained soldiers, there would be nothing there.

Verity Essence was a top REIN operative though. Her eyes had been trained to see things that others would miss. Passing by the clueless stallions was a pony shaped space that was just slightly darker than it around it. The density was different from regular air. it was a masking spell, similar to what Verity's usual partner, Steel Dagger used and not unlike an effect she could achieve with one of her mother's potions. It wasn't an easy skill, and it wasn't something very many ponies could do. It was definitely cause for interest.

Moving stealthily, Verity closed the gap between herself and the invisible pony, making sure she stayed completely in their blind spot. When the pony eventually stopped her spell, a white-maned, gray unicorn mare was revealed. Verity smirked, prepared to get the drop on her. She walked up right behind the pony and then tapped her right on the back with a hoof.

"Hey there," she said with a grin. "Nice little trick you got."

Grey Shade let out a startled yelp, jumping a few inches in the air as she pulled her magic in around her again. When her hooves hit the ground once more there was, again, an empty, pony-shaped space. It took a moment, but she managed to calm herself down from that fright, once more dropping her concealment spell. Turning to face whomever had spoken, she threw back her hood with a toss of her head. "Oh, hallo," she replied, a thick accent clearly indicating that she wasn't a local, or even from relatively close by. "Du startled me."

As she got a good look at the pony that had slipped behind her silently, her eyes widened and her head tilted to one side. This pony was the strangest pony she had ever seen, with her stripes of dark navy and tan. It was enough to give her pause for a moment, after which she blushed a bit. "Ah... danke schon," she finally managed to say after that awkward moment. "I must admit... I am not used to others zneaking up on me."

Another slightly awkward moment passed, Shade shifting her weight from hoof to hoof, carefully keeping her gaze from landing on the other... well, given that she didn't know of anything else she would have to call them a pony.

Verity raised an eyebrow. A lot of ponies around Stalliongrad had thick accents, but not like this one. This mare was from Germaney. More specifically, judging by the inflections of her words, Hoofenheim or the surrounding areas. How interesting.

The zebra gave a full laugh and shook her head. "Sorry for the scare," she said with a smirk. "But that spell of yours intrigued me. it's not exactly a common one. Had to get close while I could."

"The name's Verity Essence by the way," she said, offering the pony a hoof to shake.

Gingerly accepting the offered hoof, Grey Shade gave Verity a small, but friendly, smile. "I know," she agreed, releasing the hoof-shake. "No von elze could do anything close to it in meine Stadt. Und ich bin..." She frowned at her accidental slip-up, and gave her head a small shake, as if to clear it. "I am Grey Shade. It ist ein pleasure to meet du." Grey Shade gave Verity a somewhat calculating look-over, the faint gleam of interest and something similar to respect in her eyes. "Und I must admit... I am surprised that du noticed meine spell. No von has before."

Grey Shade? That just sounded like a name for some kind of spook. Verity had to wonder if this pony already had an affiliation. If she was REIN, she'd know her already. Dagger probably would have told her if somepony from his unit was up here too. Some other group maybe then? Maybe some kind of Germaney based organization? Or... Well, maybe she wasn't affiliated at all. Could just be a particularly skilled thief or something. Verity would have to observe closely to find out.

"Nice to meet you, Grey. Or do you prefer Shade?" Verity started as she shook the pony's hoof firmly.

She smirked and gave a small chuckle. "Let's just say I'm more perceptive than your average zebra. Not to mention a unicorn colleague of mine knows some similar spells," she said with a grin. "It's quite a useful trick."

"Either verks," Grey Shade responded, giving another small smile as her hoof was vigorously shaken. "Und... dis may sound rude... but... 'zebra'?" she asked, a questioning tone in her voice. It was clear she wasn't trying to mess with Verity... or she was very very good at hiding such things. "I do not believe I haff heard of ein 'zebra' before. Du... live here?" With a toss of her head she gestured at Stalliongard in general, currently serene under its blanket of fresh snow. A breeze blew snowflakes into her face, but all it did was serve to disorganize her mane a bit.

"Ve did not get many visitors in meine Stadt. De occasional griffon... but not much elze."

Wow. Never seen or even heard of a zebra before? Verity laughed. Suddenly she doubted very much that this pony could be tied to an intel organization. Unaffiliated then? Maybe she could be recruited? The REIN could definitely use a pony so skilled at making herself disappear.

"Yeah, I'm Stalliongrad born and raised. My parents, and most of us zebras for that matter come from a land far to the south across the sea called Unyasi though," Verity said with a shrug. "I suppose there wouldn't be many zebras in Hoofenheim. Kinda surprised to hear you say you got griffons. Aquelia's clear on the other side of the continent, after all."

"But that's part of what makes this city so special; it attracts all sorts, ponies, zebras, diamond dogs, griffons, and so on. We even got a decent dragon population, if you'll believe it," she said with a mild laugh.

Diamond dogs? Grey Shade had heard of them, but never met one. However, dragons were far more interesting. She made a mental note to look into finding a dragon in the near future, before smiling and nodding. "Ooo... I knew I liked dis Stadt," she said, a bit of excitement in her voice. "Und as fer der griffons... ein few lived in der mountains by meine Stadt." She shrugged, looking around the quiet street.

"Vould du know of ein place dat might be open at dis hour?" she asked. "As much as I love die shnow, I am feeling ein bit cold."

Verity nodded. She was getting pretty cold herself just standing there.

"Sure, let's see..." Verity said as she looked around, trying to determine where exactly they were. "We're at the edges of Kuznitza District. Not too much around here unless you want to chance some seedy bar. If we trot on over to Veya District we could probably find a nice, quiet coffee shop that has late hours."

She gave a shrug. "I'll leave it up to you, but yeah, I definitely agree. Too much of this cold is definitely not a good thing."

Grey Shade thought the matter over for a few moments. The 'seedy bar' would probably be closer, but she had never been one much for bars, and she wasn't terribly cold yet. So she decided to try for the coffee shop. The only problem was she had no clue where this 'Veya District' was. "Coffee sounds gut," she replied, nodding her head for effect. "I haff not had any zince I boarded die airship. I vonder iff dey make it as strong as back in meine Stadt?"

She had to admit, it was still a bit unnerving talking to a zebra, if only because less than an hour ago she hadn't known that such beings existed. And that strange feeling was amplified by the fact that this Verity seemed to be able to see through her stealth magic. At least, more so than other ponies could. It was all new to her, but she found that it wasn't as terrifying as she had imagined it to be.

Verity nodded. The expected decision, and to be honest her preferred one. She got enough of bars whenever she was sent out on missions with Dagger. Some place cleaner and quieter definitely sounded better.

"Great. I think I know a place. I'll lead the way," Verity said as she started to trot down the street. "It's really not that far."

Smirking a little, she decided to make some conversation with the Germane pony. "So... how long you been in town?" she asked. She figured it couldn't be that long if the pony hadn't even had a cup of coffee yet.

Looking over at Verity, Shade noticed the smirk, eyes narrowing just slightly."I arrived earlier today," she replied. "Around... three? But I vill admit, I found meine self drawn to vandering die Stadt. It reminded me so much ov home." She looked at the buildings surrounding them, still large and with a definite industrial tone to them. "Bigger, though. Much bigger. Und so full ov life!"

Shade fell quiet for a few moments, the only sound their muffled footsteps in the snow. "Though those ponies vandering die streets at nacht... those I am not familiar vith."

Verity nodded. A fresh arrival who had only just arrived today? How interesting. It was probably good Verity came across her for a number of reasons then. Stalliongrad could be a somewhat difficult city to navigate with all its many districts.

"It's a great city. Been all across Equestria and I can't think of anywhere I'd rather live," Verity said, giving a small shrug. "As for the ponies about at night, the Kuznitza District here is probably the roughest part of town. You got a lot of guards going around on patrol to keep the peace as a result, and such."

The zebra continued to trot ahead. They still had a distance to go so she asked another question. "So you just got here? You have a place sorted out to stay while in town yet?"

"Nein," Shade replied with a shake of her head. "I had planned on finding ein inn, or some such... und paying for meine stay vith either bits or verk. Ist not meine special talent, but I am decent at baking." 'Guard ponies,' she thought, giving a little internal nod. It made sense, but she still had no desire to go near them, much less be seen by them. As she had learned during her youth, sometimes it was just better to not be seen at all.

"Might du know ov sum place such as that?"

"Hmm," Verity started as she considered the question. "Well, there are places to stay all around town. I'd recommend heading up to the Rasya District in your case though."

She gave a steady nod before continuing, "It's a lot nicer and a lot safer than this part of town, but it's not super expensive like Ostrov or Vysokii. They call it the Artisan District, and it's really the place to be for small business owners in town. You could probably find both a cozy inn and a bakery to work for over that way if you want."

"In fact, I'm pretty sure I know a nice inn a few blocks from my mother's shop," Verity said with a steady shop. "I could give you the address..."

"I vould be in your debt," Shade replied, the hint of a smile on her face. "Und I must admit, the idea of being in ein bakery vonce more... it does sound appealing." The look on her face grew wistful for a moment. "Dere ist nothing nicer than die smell ov fresh brot in die morgen."

Grey Shade fell silent for a few moments, looking around the street they were walking down. She could tell of a difference in the style of building, less like industrial warehouses and factories and more like shops, though still with a utilitarian look to them. "Vould ve be getting closer to die... vut vas it... Veya District?"

Verity smiled and gave a chuckle. "Happy to help then. I'd be delighted to even show you the way."

She gave a shrug and a more vocal laugh. "And now that you mention it, some fresh bread or something does sound pretty good. Perhaps the coffee shop will have some baked goods for us or something. I could really go for a snack of some kind."

At the pony's final question she just nodded. "Yep. This would be Veya. There should be a place we can stop just up ahead."

"Gut," Shade replied, giving a small nod of her head. She thought she could make out the coffee shop ahead, but it could have been just another pool of light from some random building in the darkness for all she knew. Grey Shade was rather happy that she had run into the zebra, when she thought about it. "Eine pastry sounds vonderful."

As they approached the pool of light, she could see that it was in fact the coffee shop. Or at least a coffee shop. Opening the door with her magic, she let Verity in first before following, the door closing with a small chime. Approaching the counter, she ordered a coffee, as strong as they made it, and after a moment of browsing the small selection of baked goods, also bought a brownie. Paying for the food, Shade walked over to a table near the front window of the shop, her purchases floating behind her.

"I hope I do not sound rude, but I am curious," she said as Verity sat down after her own purchases. "Vut do you do here in Stalliongard?"

Verity followed the pony into the coffee shop. She ordered a cup of coffee not quite as strong as the one Shade and ordered and an apple turnover. She then followed the pony to the table and sat down. Almost immediately then she was hit with the question she had long been expecting. Usually for her this question was answered with a prompt but believable lie. In this case however, she wasn't sure that was the best option. No, Shade had a raw talent that if tapped could be useful to her organization. Verity didn't want to scare the pony though. Shade was a pretty cool pony so far; she'd be a good friend.

"Well..." Verity started, smirking. "That's kinda complicated."

"I work for a non-military government organization," she answered, her voice becoming quiet so as any stray ponies about wouldn't overhear. "The Royal Equestrian Intelligence Network, REIN. Perhaps, you've heard of it?"

"Basically I'm in the business of gathering and securing information, you could say," she said, nodding her head.

"Non-military government organization..." Shade echoed, tilting her head to one side ever so slightly, her eyes narrowing a bit. "Dat... zounds interesting." A smile curled up the corners of her lips, and her horn glowed dully. "Nein, I haff nevar heard of such an organization. But it does zound interesting." Watching Verity's reaction, she chuckled softly. She had noticed the clear drop in volume from the zebra, and had decided to play upon a hunch. "Und du don't haff to talk so quietly, Verity. Ve vont be overheard."

"Now... vould du be able to tell me more?" Picking up the brownie with a hoof, she took a bite of it, watching the zebra.

Verity smirked at the comments. Shade was clearly unfamiliar with REIN, which meant she was either a really good actor or was indeed simply not attached to any group she needed to worry about. Verity wasn't the type to do so, but in this case she was willing to give this other pony the benefit of the doubt. "Yeah, about that..." she said with a quiet laugh. "That's kind of the game. I make my way in listening in on conversations when others think they're alone, so I suppose I've become a little paranoid that others may be doing the same with me..."

She shook her head and sighed. "But you're probably right..." She nodded and then after a pause continued. "My work is why I noticed you. Working in intel, you're trained to notice things. Spells likes yours are especially something we need to watch for in the field. Most ponies who know such spells either work for us, work for our military affiliate, work for rival organizations, or just use them for rogue illegal activity. There are only so many uses for being able to hide your presence like that, after all."

"It's a fun job, so long as you don't mind a little risk and a lot of sneaking around. Pay's good. Lots of travel," Verity summarized with a shrug.

Shade took it all in, listening patiently, hiding her growing excitement. She even nodded her head once or twice, at the end of one of Verity's sentences. "Ja, I know," she said as Verity finished, making no effort to lower her voice from normal conversation levels. "I haff alvays vondered vat I vuld do vith meine 'special talent'."

"Und to verk with those who know vat du can do, und are not... concerned by it..." she trailed off, looking directly at Verity, her gaze calculating. "It vuld be a nice... change of pace."

Taking a drink of coffee, the corner of her lips curled up from the taste. "I vuld enjoy travel. Stalliongard ist nice... but it reminds me ein bit much of home. Und dere vas danger enuff in die hills about dat Stadt. Sneaking I am good at..." There were a few other ponies in the coffee house, one of them sitting rather close to Shade and Verity, but no pony seemed to even realize they were there. Come to think of it, the area around Shade and the table did look a bit... grayed out. "Und pay... ist eine small vorry. As long as it ist enuff to live comfortably."

"I'm glad to hear you're considering it," Verity said with a steady nod. "You'd need to be trained, but with your aptitude, you really could be an asset to us..."

"Of course, even if REIN is non-military, in a lot of way it does resemble REA service. It's a lot of following orders, and it can get dangerous at times. Not to mention that there can be a lot of secrets to keep," Verity said with a sigh. "It's definitely not as laid back as working at a bakery."

Verity took a moment to eat some of her pastry and enjoy the coffee, before adding. "if you are indeed interested, I could get you talking to the right ponies."

Shade followed Verity's example, taking a moment to eat a bit more of that delicious brownie, and drink a sip of coffee, thinking it over. "As dangerous as ein dragon attack?" she asked, before taking another sip of coffee. "I think... I can deal vith danger. Und using meine talents... no matter how 'dangerous' it may be... would be far more enjoyable den simply verking as ein baker's assistant."

"Consider meine interested."