Chasing Shadows (Phil the Time Wizard and Sevofthesands)

Gentle was frozen in place with fear, but he did remember a story about what a local did when faced with one.

"Hello mister Manticore how are you are you hurt at all, do you need assistance?" he said as he slowly walked up to the beast "Please don't eat me ok?" he said as he went right next to the beast and checked there was nothing in his paw but the Manticore had not eaten him yet so that was good. "are you trying to tell us something." it growled in reply and looked in the direction of some strange ruins. "Something is in there?" it nodded and sat. it was the guardian of the place apparently as he suddenly noticed a collar of princess Celestia. "oh i see your here as a warning. well thank you for letting me up close mister Manticore." he walked back to the still frightened Ardent Fate "Are you ok?" he asked

"I am fine!" Fate started, taking a gulp and standing back up, her legs shaking visibly. In her fear, she had missed most of what the colt had said.

"I shall protect you from this fearsome beast!" she said, shaking he head and stepping ahead. Clumsily she unsheathed the heavy sword on her back and started wave.

"That's right, foul monster! Stay right there or I will show you my knightly strength!" Fate started as she finally noticed the manticore wasn't making an advance on them. Convinced she had intimidated it successfully, she turned back toward Gentle. "I trust you now see I'm not messing around here!"

She gave a curt nod and then stepped off in another direction deeper into the forest and away from the manticore. "Let's continued onward!" she called as she sheathed the sword once more.

Fate continued ahead without saying anything for a while. She was still a little freaked out by the encounter with the manticore and proceeded cautiously. The forest was entirely quiet now though. Almost too quiet.

Fate again turned to her all too non-talkative partner. She sighed. "So..." she started. He evidently hadn't wanted to talk about him ,but maybe there was something else to discuss. "Surely you're impressed with what you've seen so far. You must have all sorts of questions for me. Feel free to ask away!"

Fate gave a proud nod at the question.

"Well, my father was the best knight ever, famed for his skill with a sword. This was actually his," she said, indicating her sword.

"He never really taught me how to use it though. I kinda had to learn that on my own," she admitted quietly. Her sword skills were kind of not the best, from an objective standpoint, but she worked rigorously all the time to improve them. She was confident she'd be just as good as her father some day.

Fate looked down at the question as she considered it for a moment.

She shook her head. "That's not it! I'm sure he was going to teach me eventually! It's just.... I was still too young when he--" She stopped herself, emotion choking her up. "When I lost him..." she finished in a low voice.

Missed was the irony that she was still too young to be playing with large bladed weapons by most standards.

"I'm fine," Fate started, stepping ahead. "It's behind me now!'

She gave a firm nod. "I just need to press ever ahead, and hold this sword and the ideals of the Destrier order always close to me and his memory will be honored!"

That said, Fate started to walk ahead. "Let's continue. We must find that monster!"

Gentle Could have left her if he wanted but she was obviously helpless and it wouldn't be right if he left a filly in danger a helpless one at that.

"You would not be the first swordsmare i guess The great Roan of Arc was one of the best and she started as just a farm filly. so its not a stretch for you to become a great one either." more trying to convince himself than her.

Fate nodded. "Oh, I've heard of her. She wasn't a Destrier though. I actually don't know if there's been a filly in the order yet... dad never mentioned any at least..." she sighed. "I know the REA lets fillies in no problem... and I'm pretty sure that if I'm good enough, nopony will have any problem with me joining!"

"That's why--" Fate started. She stopped herself at the sound of movement nearby. There was something watching them. Something hunting them, perhaps? She readied her sword, anticipating danger.

• 2 weeks later...

Fate shook her head and collected herself. That's right, she had to protect herself and Gentle. This was probably the monster. Drawing her sword, she stared toward the rustling bushes.

"Foul beast, show yourself! Cease your cowardice and face me and my righteous blade!" Fate started in the deepest, boldest voice she could muster, as she waited in anticipation for the beast to show.

Finally, after waiting for several minutes, the bushes opened up and something hopped out, right towards them! Fate shrieked and instantly dropped her sword to the ground in reflex as she fell back onto her flank. Tentatively, she opened her eyes, only to find a small, cute bunny smiling back at her. Her mind went numb and her cheeks red as she felt like she would die from embarrassment.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about!" Fate stammered, still blushing profusely. "I'm not scared!"

"A true knight faces down his enemies boldly, with no fears or inhibitions!" she started, shaking herself off and finding her hooves as the rabbit bounced away. "I was just slightly startled is all. It happens to even the greatest warriors!"

• 2 weeks later...

Fate gave a huff. "Perhaps so, but I wasn't scared!" she insisted. "I am totally fearless! That's why I'll be the one to slay this monster!"

"Speaking of which," she started as she began to trot quickly deeper into the forest. "We must press onward!"