Equestia/Canterlot Historians

flutterscotch

I just had an idea (springing from the thread Sleeps made). *grabs Twilight's Clipboard*

In an effort to help the mods here, who have way too much stuff to do and no time to do it, people who are not helpstaff on the forum should be appointed Historians in an effort to keep holes in board canon with regard to show canon to a minimum. (I personally like Verisimilitude Inspector better, but I am weird.)

Historians would be broken up into teams of 2 per topic so that they could collaborate and look over each others' work. Topics would include, but not be limited to flora, fauna, technology (which could further be broken down into electricity, steam, etc if needed), weather, geography (natural and political)

A Historian's job would entail:

• Recording what is shown on-screen in each episode in their given topic.
  • Comparing it to real-life analogues (with links to sources so people can read more if they want to know more, but do not necessarily have to make the summary too long)
  • Organizing this into an easy-to reference format for everyone to follow, but their full report can and should be more detailed.
  • Posting their findings on the forum in a way that is consistent for all such reports so that it can be additionally peer reviewed so that questions can be asked, or inconsistencies pointed out before it becomes board canon. Play devil's advocate in those threads all you want so that huge discussions aren't overtaking official rules threads.

All of this without speculation (at least in the main body of the report, a section at the end can be for speculation) . Just a thorough examination and report of what we see in the show so that it can be integrated into board canon.

Technically, I guess this should have been in the RP section. Sorry!

I'm just brainstorming on this but, what if we did what you suggested, but we use a wiki as a platform to do it? That would make editing for everypony really easy, and it would serve as a dependable source for linking and referencing material in regards to Canterlot RP, canon, and beyond.

It would be a monstrous task, but I think making it easy for our members to edit, discuss, and publish the material would be of great benefit to the game and community as a whole.

The only problem (which is also one of its benefits) with wikis is ANYONE can edit it. Which can, if being used as a source for canon, be manipulated for EVIL! :D By limiting the input to appointed people and then having anyone comment of play devil's advocate you pull the "snipe-editing because you want to get your way" out of the equation.