(Canterlot) Mending Hearts (Ended)

Lux

30jk84h.jpg

Spin Tale nodded as Heart Healer summarized his emotional predicament; [colour=#ff6666]“Hmmm…. I guess that sounds about right,”[/colour] replied the curator. [colour=#ff6666]“Don’t forget about my bills and student loan payments too, eh heh heh.”[/colour] Truth be told, Dr. Tale wasn’t quite convinced yet that his dissatisfaction with his stalled career caused most of his stress. As money issues typically weighed on the stallion’s time more often than the lack of available professor jobs, Spin placed more of the blame on the former.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heart Healer upon hearing the stallion's response, realized that it wasn't the job that was the issue but the money, or lack thereof. although she wasn't a financial master, she knew psychologically how money could affect a pony.

[colour=#800080]"I see, so you are concerned not necessarily about your work but your issues with money. You feel that the job you have does not provide the funds you need to support your lifestyle and everytime you think about your job, no matter how fulfilling it is, you think about your financial situation and vice versa. Is that fairly accurate?"[/colour]

30jk84h.jpg

Dr. Spin Tale nodded more assuredly than last time. [colour=#ff6666]“That’s correct,”[/colour] the curator replied; [colour=#ff6666]“It’s not like I live at the poverty line or anything, but the Society ain’t one of those money-growing trees, either. I can’t help but think that all it takes is one accident or mishap, and suddenly I won’t be able to pay off my debts on time, anymore. Sure, I could probably just apply for debt relief of some kind… but it’ll go against everything I learned about fulfilling one’s obligations.”[/colour] Sighing, Dr. Tale concluded; [colour=#ff6666]“I don’t want to be anything like a moocher, you know.”[/colour]

Heart had hit the nail on the head. The stallion was indeed concerned with his finances, and this impacted his job.

[colour=#800080]"Well, first of all, there is no shame in applying for debt relief if it is needed. And this woud certainly not label you as a moocher. However, if you are still unwilling to seek funds tht way, then have you considered taking a second job? Even if it's not related to your history degree, it would be a way to gain extra funds as well as improve experiences that you can use for applying for other jobs.Keep in mind that your situation as well as the having two jobs would be temporar, a stepping stone to hopefully something directly related to your career."[/colour]

30jk84h.jpg

Dr. Spin Tale pondered Heart Healer’s words for almost a minute. He thought about applying for debt relief every now and then (only to every time disregard stooping that low), but Dr. Tale never considered finding a second job before. Then again, managing the Society and its museum took up much of the curator’s time. Some time passed, and Spin spoke again; [colour=#ff6666]“Well, I like the idea of finding a temporary job, but I’m not sure if I can find enough time for one. I keep my museum open every day of the week, as it is.”[/colour]

outside the clinic, Telki paced up and down.

Should she or should she not? Despite having taken to her travels with what she felt was the right mindset and as proper a planning as her knowledge allowed her; she still didn't know; something haad been bothering her, itching at the back of her mind.

"Maybe I should, it can't hurt and it doesn't cost that much" (OOC: Not sure if its a free clinic but I'll change this part accordingly). Telki thought. Despite her self reassurances, she had that nasty feeling that she had deeper issues with herself, something that had been repressed beneath this happy facade.

Taking a huge breath, she mustered her will and pushed open the door, after signing in, sat in the waiting room, trying to suppress all thoughts of backing out.

Dr. Spin Tale took a few minutes to ponder what Heart Healer had said. She hoped that her advice was something that perhaps he had not seen as an option, a possible soultion to the problem. Unfortunately money didn't grow on trees or rain from the sky, so a second job appeared like a reasonable answer.

[colour=#800080]"Well, I understand that you have a current job as a curator during the day, but you may want to consider doing something at night. It doesn't have to be every night, just enough for you to get some extra funds. The other option is to look for another job in place of the museum. It may not be an ideal one like being a priofessor, but at least something you can get more money from."[/colour]

30jk84h.jpg

[colour=#ff6666]“Hmmmm……”[/colour] For a few seconds, Spin Tale made clicking noises with his mouth before speaking once more. “I suppose I could take a night job or something like that. However, I have to tell you that frankly… leaving the museum isn’t an option… not at this present time.” Pausing yet again for a moment, Dr. Tale considered his next words carefully. [colour=#ff6666]“You see… after my father… suffered his uhhh injury, he wasn’t content to just sit there and receive veteran’s benefits for the rest of his life. It… it was actually he and my mother who founded the Canterlot Army Historical Society. When I entered college, I used much of my free time helping my parents transform what was basically an amateur-enthusiast operation into the… well, professional institution that it is today, museum included. My parents are now retired, of course; they pretty much gave me control over the whole thing when they learned of my hardships getting a professorship. In all honesty, I’d have no idea who could replace me if I quit my job as the Society’s president and curator-in-chief… and I don’t want to see what I and my parents worked so hard to build get abandoned to oblivion… or worse.”[/colour]

Heart Healer learned from Dr. Spin Tale's comments that the museum was not just a job. To him it was a family heirloom, a place built by his parents and then passed on lovingly to the next of kin. She felt the pride in being the museum's curator from him, and yet there was the fact that he did not want to abandon the place to somepony who would not take care of it.

[colour=#800080]"I can see now that you want to find a means to get more money in your life and yet you want to ake sure that the museum is protected. I'd say that if you want to hold onto it, finding a second job would benefit you. When you do get a job as a professor, then I would suggest offering the museum to a trusted friend to run. You can even still be the owner nd have somepony manage it fir you."[/colour]

30jk84h.jpg

[colour=#ff6666]“Heh….. I wouldn’t say I personally know somepony that I’d trust to become my ehhh… successor.”[/colour] Indeed, Spin Tale’s number of close friends was very few these days. [colour=#ff6666]“When the time comes though, I’ll be sure to make sure that I’ll leave the museum in good hooves. Who knows? I bet loads of history graduates with Ph.Ds out there would beg for a chance to get a curator position, even for a small museum like mine…”[/colour]

Right then, a burst of inspiration hit Dr. Tale; [colour=#ff6666]“Of course! I should get students from the university to intern at the museum. Hahaha, why didn’t I think of it before? Usually I’d feel guilty about asking others for help, but with college students… they need work experience, don’t they? Hmmm…. so if they prove trustworthy enough, I can let them actually operate the place every now and then while I can earn additional money by other means. I get what I need, and they get what they need! With any luck, it will all work out.”[/colour]

Part of Heart Healer's methodology in counseling was to not just give advice to ponies but to also let ponies come up with their own solutions. In her office she had a plaque which read "Give a pony an apple, feed them for a day. Teach a pony to plant, feed them for a lifetime." She knew that Dr. Spin Tale had options to be able to pursue the thing he loved while not be worried about money. It was trick, but not impossible. When he offered the idea of having students from the university help him at the museum,Heart could feel like a storm cloud had been lifted away from the stallion.

[colour=#800080]"That sounds like an excellent plan, Dr. Spin Tale. That way you can, if you wish, pursue other occupations while insuring your family's museum is safe. And meeting ponies from a university can also help you to connect with professors there so when the time comes for you to apply atn the university, you will have references to use. Does this sound like a good plan to you?"[/colour]

30jk84h.jpg

[colour=#ff6666]“Yep, that sounds like a good idea to me!”[/colour] Spin Tale wasn’t exactly sure how much empathic magic Heart Healer actually used; at one point, the session felt more like an exercise in cold reading than genuine emotion-reading. Yet Dr. Tale couldn’t deny that right now, he felt more excited about the future’s prospects than he did when he came into the clinic. Sure, he still dreaded the possibility of financial disaster in the back of his mind, but at least he could do a little more about it now.

[colour=#ff6666]“Is there anything else you want to ask me, Ms. Healer?”[/colour]

Heart Healer thought about if there were any questions she had from Dr. Spin Tale, especially since he asked. She could feel that the stallion was in a much calmer and happier state than he was when first entering the clinic. Sometimes all it took was to direct a pony into thinking about all possibilities allowing them to make up their own decisions. Such was the case with Dr. Spin Tale who even though Heart offered advice to him he chose his own path.

[colour=#800080]"Well, I don't have any questions or you, and I can feel that you are now happier than before now that you have a plan. Is there anything that you wish to discuss beyond what we talked about before?"[/colour]

30jk84h.jpg

[colour=#ff6666]“Nope… I think that’ll just about do it for today.”[/colour] Spin Tale figured this was as good a point as any to end the session, which didn’t last as long as he thought it would. In fact, the curator still had most of the day to keep his museum open. Satisfied with Heart Healer’s service, Dr. Tale proceeded to thank her; [colour=#ff6666]“You’ve done a wondrous job today, Ms. Healer. I assume I pay over at the reception desk?”[/colour]

(Sorry about not responding)

[colour=#800080]"Well I am glad to see that you have a plan in mind. If you need anything else in the fiture, feel free to come back. In the meantime, you may see the receptionist at the front desk." [/colour]

With that Heart Healer returned to her desk to take the time to oranie some things. Her office looked like a tornado ripped through, scattering different papers. If she could manage to get some things in order, then maybe it won't turn into a problem in the future.

Telki saw the peach stallion walk out, taking a deep breath she pushed pushed the door open and carefully peeked inside.

Steated at a very messy desk was a pink unicorn that she assumed was the psychaitrist.

"[colour=#FF8C00]Um is this a good time? I could always come bac[/colour]-"

30jk84h.jpg

[colour=#ff6666]“Thank you for all that you done today, Miss Healer. Have a good day!”[/colour] And with that, Spin Tale trotted out of the office, but not before noticing a plaque stating “Give a pony an apple, feed them for a day. Teach a pony to plant, feed them for a lifetime.”

[colour=#ff6666]~Hmmm....... that's actually quite clever...~[/colour]

It didn’t take long for Spin Tale to pay the receptionist and make his way out of the clinic. First chance he’d get, he write up a job listing for Canterlot University’s job bulletin asking for an intern. In the meantime, the curator thought a bottle of grape juice was in order…

*exit Spin Tale*

(Thanks Bellosh)

Heart Healer was busy sorting when she heard a voice of another pony enter.

[colour=#800080]"Oh hello there," [/colour]the pink mare said getting up from her chair and trotting over to meet the new pony, [colour=#800080]"I am Dr. Heart Healer, but you can call me Heart Healer or Heart if you wish. ou must be Telki. Please have a seat."[/colour]

Telki walked gingerly over to Heart Healer's desk before hoisting herself up onto the seat which was obviously designed for normal height ponies.

"[colour=#FF8C00]Hi I'm Telki[/colour].." she said unconvincingly, as she tried to come to grips with the sensation of not knowing what to say or how to say it. "[colour=#FF8C00]Umm... maybe I can uh....help out with the papers before we begin[/colour]?" she said, horn glowing softly

The pony was certainly a helpful one, offering to help with the cluttered mess that was surrounding her desk. Heart pondered if she should hire an assistant to take care of organizing the files into some semblance of order. But now was not the time.

[colour=#800080]"Thank you for offering, but this is going to be an ongoing project for me I'm afraid. Also, I have to decline your help as much of this information is about prior counseling sessions. Patient confidentiality you know."[/colour]

Heart realized that when she told Telki to take a seat she did not specify which seat. Thus the unicorn sat on her office chair.

[colour=#800080]"Err... when I mentioned taking a seat, I was referring to the couch, but since you look comfortable there, I'll come to you."[/colour]

With that Hearl lifted her chair that she used for counseling and placed it on the other side of the desk. It was awkward sitting like this as Heart elt she was going for a job interview rather than meeting with a pony.

[colour=#800080]"Ok. Now I just want to let you know a few things before we begin. First, everything you say here will be kept confidential. Also, my magic ability is being an empaty, meaning I can feel your emotions. This helps me help you. I will only use this magic if you are willing. Do i have your permission to use my maagic?"[/colour]

Telki had never liked any magic that wasn't telekinesis. At least with telekinesis there was the sensation that you were in control and that it was like another, albeit invisible, limb(s).

Spellcasting is another thing altogether, it involved things she did not understand, things that weren't always so straightforward and logical.

Still she was here for help and if magic was the only way to get to the bottom of it, then so be it.

"[colour=#FF8C00]Ummm, okay........[/colour]" she said hesitantly

There was a moment of hesitation that was seen from the mare when Heart mentioned her empath ability. This wasn't unusual that ponies would be nervous. The earth and pegasus ponies, even those that worked with or were friends with unicorns, somethimes were anxious about new magic. Even unicorns that she counseled were unsure as her magic was rare. In fact the only pony that had an ability similar to hers was Princess Cadence, although hers was to project love rather than just feeling emotions. But Telki did agree, so with her horn glowing a pink aura, she began.

[colour=#800080]"Don't worry. I can assure you that you will feel nothing with this magic, and if you do feel any discomfort, pleast let me know immediately. Now then, how about you tell me about yourself starting with when you were a filly."[/colour]

[colour=#FF8C00]"Well...I wasn't the most popular filly in my class"[/colour] Telki began [colour=#FF8C00]"Sure everypony was friendly towards me during class. Maybe its because I was the smallest, but most of the other foals didn't really invite me to join in their games after class. At least there was Daddy's bookstore to pass the afternoons...."[/colour]

Turning to glance at her cutie mark, Telki sighed. Time to rehash those painful memories.

"[colour=#FF8C00]Well there was this time they invited me to help decorate the school gym.....[/colour]" Telki's voice choked as she stopped adruptly. Not daring to continue should the memories overwhelm her.

With her magic and listening to her words, Heart Healer was able to see the issue with not being very popular and the limited interaction with foals in hr school. Foalhood was the foundation for a good future. Being with others a pony's age help to teach impoprtant things like sharing and friendship and compromise. It also instilled the bonds of future lasting friendships. With Telki not having much of this, it was an issue.

Heart was going to proceed with the part about the school gym, but she sensed some great distress in the pony with that event. She decided to take another route.

[colour=#800080]"We'll go back to the event in the gym later. Right now I would like you to tell me about your family life. Did you have one or two parents? How did they treat you? Things like that."[/colour]

[colour=#FF8C00]"Well Daddy and Mommy used to work long hours teaching at the Manehattan Institute of Tradesponyship. Usually my brothers would take turns foalsitting me. At least when Daddy retired to open up his bookstore I could go there to read and we could keep each other company."[/colour]

[colour=#FF8C00]"If Uncle Jazz Brass wasn't on tour I was always welcome to visit. He's our next door neighbour". If Daddy was away on business or I didn't feel like going to the store I could always stop by and watch Uncle Jazz practice."[/colour]

Telki's mind had begun to wonder if she was going off on a irrelevant tangent. She could vaguely remember reading somewhere that as a counselor Heart Healer was supposed to ask about her family and her parents, but she didn't think those were really a problem. Her parents did love and make time for her afterall, they were just...busy the rest of the time.