Gmail Vs Hotmail

I use a mixture, these days.

It used to be that I exclusively used Microsoft Live's email (It's just hotmail, I don't really know if there's any difference) and it works fine for me, but I had two or three overall problems with their service.

1. Like any email address, over the years the account became flooded with a lot of stuff I don't particularly care for anymore. (I don't need your weekly newsletters, DAZ 3D.) - Granted, that's not their fault.

2. Their website is abnormally slow and clunky, forcing me to go through two links to reach my inbox, and taking a little longer than I was happy with, since I don't tend to like checking my email to begin with.

3. Windows Live Messenger (MSN messenger) only opens email notifications in Internet Explorer. I do not use Internet Explorer. I hate it.

Which led me to start using Gmail's service instead, using one of my domain names in replacement of @gmail.com. For me, Gmail loads faster (One click from my browser of choice - chrome - and I'm in my inbox), and it's different, yes, but not hard to get used to. One feature in particular that I love is the inbox filter - it's like a spam filter, but you get to tell it to directly look for specific lines of text in the body or header of messages you get, and then automatically archive, delete, or send them to the spam folder.

That last feature there is pretty awesome, because using that, I've set up my @live.com email to redirect to my Gmail inbox, which filters and deletes the stuff that was there before that I couldn't be bothered to clean up. This way, I still get my email from hotmail, without getting the spam from hotmail.

Granted, I'm sure hotmail has a similar feature to that, but I'd never run across it through the years, and it was easy to find with Gmail.

As for Messenger, I don't really need to worry about those email notifications, because popping open my Gmail account in chrome is so easy that I just check it daily. I turned those notifications off.

Well there is way to fix 2 of your 3 problems

The news letter problem:

There are 3 options to handel them:

1.) You can mark an e-maiul example the canterlot forum notification and choose the option to the mails from the sender go to a folder you made. The only problem is the windows live messenger will only show you the numer of mails in your inbox but not the numer of mails in the other folders you made when you firs sign in that day. It means that when today I fiurst signed into my computer and to my windows live messanger than it show me that I had got 5 mails in my inbox but it didn't show the nother 5 e-mails which were in my Canterlot folder where my notification e-mails come in from this forum, but once I signed in it always show when I got e-mail from the Canterlot forum.

2.) Hotmail now has got an unsubscibe option for new letters and notification mails unfortunetly if you use that it won't stop the news letters to come but they'll automatically arrive to the spam folder

3.) There is a nother option for newsletters where you can choose that news letters that are older than example 7 days should be automatically deleted so you'll only see tin your inbox the newsletters which are not older than 7 days.

Well I chose Firefox to my webbrowser and hotmail onens in firefox if I cliuck on the e-mail notification widow that pops up from windows live messanger.

Well there is way to fix 2 of your 3 problems

The news letter problem:

There are 3 options to handel them:

1.) You can mark an e-maiul example the canterlot forum notification and choose the option to the mails from the sender go to a folder you made. The only problem is the windows live messenger will only show you the numer of mails in your inbox but not the numer of mails in the other folders you made when you firs sign in that day. It means that when today I fiurst signed into my computer and to my windows live messanger than it show me that I had got 5 mails in my inbox but it didn't show the nother 5 e-mails which were in my Canterlot folder where my notification e-mails come in from this forum, but once I signed in it always show when I got e-mail from the Canterlot forum.

2.) Hotmail now has got an unsubscibe option for new letters and notification mails unfortunetly if you use that it won't stop the news letters to come but they'll automatically arrive to the spam folder

3.) There is a nother option for newsletters where you can choose that news letters that are older than example 7 days should be automatically deleted so you'll only see tin your inbox the newsletters which are not older than 7 days.

Well I chose Firefox to my webbrowser and hotmail onens in firefox if I cliuck on the e-mail notification widow that pops up from windows live messanger.

I don't really have any problems anymore, per-se. The setup I'm working with as described in my last post does fine for me. I personally don't prefer using browsers such as IE or Firefox. I prefer Chrome, and Messenger doesn't recognize Chrome as my primary browser, leading to it always opening in IE.

In addition to that, MSN used to be a lot better than it is these days. Nowadays, you have to visit a webpage to change your display name. Something you used to be able to do inside the vanilla client a while back. They removed the feature to force you to use their website - and being that it forcefully uses IE instead of a half-decent browser, I refuse to put up with it.

The same issue with it opening IE is present when I wish to check my mail from the MSN client, making MSN just about entirely useless to me, as most all of my remotely sensible friends stopped using MSN years ago in favor of Skype.

Now, as for the unsubscribing to newsletters - from my understanding, you're not actually unsubscribing unless you directly visit the webpage of the sender, log into your account with them, and untick a box about emails - depending on who it's with. I don't really feel motivated to do this for multiple, especially when some of them I never even signed up for, and they've just stuck me on their newsletter list just because they had my email - without giving me a way to unsubscribe to it. DAZ 3D's weekly newsletter is an example of this. I never asked for them to email me weekly.

Like I also said, I'm sure hotmail has it's own way of handling this, there's likely some doodad that allows you to hide or relocate emails by sender, or something. That's what you're implying, at least. Admittedly your post was a little hard to understand. Either way, Gmail does a fine job of handling anything I don't want.

Like you said about hotmail, I can direct incoming mail into specific folders too. It's all handled with simple filters where I can decide exactly what's done with the email when I receive it. Move it to a folder, archive it, delete it, redirect it, anything I really want.

Another feature of Gmail that I like that I didn't mention before is the "threaded" conversations. It's a matter of preference, but I appreciate it as when I do get multiple emails from a single source, they all go into the same thread, keeping my inbox more easily sorted. There's less clutter, because repeat emails from say, Twitter, all end up in the same place by default.

The short answer: I use both. Hotmail is where I have all of the spam email sent to, and Gmail is where I have it filtered out.

Is it efficient? Probably not. If I had much of a choice in the matter I'd exclusively use Gmail. Does it work? You bet.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I could open the Live side net blog's page so I can link you the entry with the screenshots from the planned metrostyle for hotmail:

http://www.liveside....hotmail-leaked/

http://www.liveside....now-in-english/

It still seems more clear than the Gmail I hope there will be some themes to drop it up.

Well I guess we get answer to this question very soon since a lot of info came out from the Outlook which will be the new hotmail and I read on the hungarian msn portal this morning it has got alredy more tha 1 billlion users since yesterday.

You can find more infos here:

http://www.liveside.net

I use Yahoo religiously. I have a Gmail account, but I just don't like it. Though admittedly, I'm very averse to change. I'm still using an older version of Yahoo because I don't like the new look (I'm actually probably a few versions behind at this point). I don't use the spam filter because I don't want to check for emails I may have missed to it.

Hotmail is rapidly losing favor with people because of their spam filters and not receiving all their mail properly because of it - I still see lots of websites, etc that have to give specific instructions for Hotmail users.

I have never used Gmail or Hotmail on a regular basis. I use Outlook Express for essential email purposes and Yahoo as a dumping ground for online registeration junk.

• 11 months later...

Both are good, but Hotmail barely edges out Gmail. While I do like some of Google's extra features such as Google Drive and its direct connection to YouTube, Hotmail is more professional, more organized and neat. It's file sharing is much easier to use. And the privacy is better on there.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the time has come, when I'm working, I hate Yahoo tend to be not responsive when it comes to open up the user interface and sometimes cannot upload the attached file for me to send. That's just pathetic when it's business around here, so I'm using Gmail. First time using it and also how so much easier when also go along with the Play Store.

• 1 month later...

Have you guys saw that video on YouTube which says that Google is monitoring the incomig e-mails in Gmail (Scroogling) and recommending Outlook.com (ex hotmail) to use? Well it seems that wasn't just a Microsoft campaign and Google seems to be in Trobule:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/technology/google-accused-of-wiretapping-in-gmail-scans.html?_r=0