Gmail Vs Hotmail

I have got an e-mail adress in both company and I have got own epperiences too but I would like to hear about your experiences too.

Actually I don't have a @gmail.com e-mail adress but the Gmail system runs at the free e-mail company (Mailbox.hu) where I have and e-mail adress for many many years. It means my Mailbox e-mail box looks and function just like a normal Gmail inbox. Actually I really like it and I really like the dinamic theme which I use there and which shows the outside weather but it have got two big problem with it.

1.) It's too difficult and uncrlear for me especially next to hothail. Many of the buttons are hidden especially the spam menu so I can't automatically see when a new message appeared into the spam folder which is very bad thing especially with my second big problem.

2.) The spam filter. Actually it is quite good because I rarely got spam messages into my inbox but unfortunately I have got the problem for years now that sometimes I got the messages into the inbox from the same sender sometimes I find them in the SPAM folder. Example since I went to a University we had got the NEPTUN informatic system where we got the inportant informations for our sudying and I asked notificiton to my Mailbox e-mail adress and sometimes I got the notification e-mails to my inbox sometimes into the SPAM folder. Ok I was too lazy to change the-mail adress where I asked the notifications but still the problem is problem.

I like my hotmail e-mail adress too because it's clear and I can see the SPAM folder too, but I haven't got any problem with it's spam filter like I have with the other's and I use the basic options in both e-mail adress.

I don't like thgat there are less theme in hotmail than in the Gmail and they are only on the top toolbar. I know the themes are not the important part of the inbox but it count's a lot for me just like my destop them in my Windows 7 operation system.

I read not long ago that Microsoft plan to change the hotmai to fit to the incoming Windows 8 which makes me a worry a bit about it will be more difficult and boring once it happening.

The biggest thing I enjoy in hotmail is the SkyDrive which is part of the hotmail and it's practical when example I would like to share with someone the phpotoes I made during the vacation ect because when I attach the pictures to the mail the system automatically upload them to my SkyDrive box and it only attach small negatives from the picture to the mail and the other one who gets the mail can see the pictures without they need to down load and they can decide which pictures they want to see in the original size and which ones they want to download.

The recent SkyDrive limit is 7GB whic is decreased from 25GB but it's still more tn enough.

I have used nearly all major free emails over the years, and long and by far Gmail was the worst, imo. Mainly because I *hate* the "threaded" message view. I suppose if you only have 1 or 2 conversations going at once it's useful, but I get so much junk that it gets lost in the shuffle. (Though I do like the integration with Google Voice and how it will sync to my android phone contacts without issue)

Personally, I use Yahoo mail (mail because it's unlimited storage and syncs with all my devices easily) but it's VERY sensitive to spam, I've almost never gotten a spam in my inbox but I've also found a lot of newsletters and website sign-ups in my spam...

I actually have both Skydrive and Dropbox, DB is more efficient and cross-platform, while skydrive gives me more space. I tend to use DB for documents and SD for photos/programs/etc.

• Like 1

I prefer gmail, then again I am very anti microsoft.

I've learned not to be anti-anything in these regards. I used to be avidly anti-mac (due to MacOS) but I jokingly got a macbook a few years ago that was dirt cheep to play with and it had OSX, likewise I got an iPod Touch. I'm actually now wanting to move to an all apple ecosystem...

I use what works for me, what doesn't work for me way work for someone else, can never tell.

I have used nearly all major free emails over the years, and long and by far Gmail was the worst, imo. Mainly because I *hate* the "threaded" message view. I suppose if you only have 1 or 2 conversations going at once it's useful, but I get so much junk that it gets lost in the shuffle. (Though I do like the integration with Google Voice and how it will sync to my android phone contacts without issue)

I need to agree with you in that the threaded message view can be a pain especially when mor than 1-1back and foward messages sent between two person. My social workar class (since I studied to social worker) had got a common g-mail inbox which means someone made an inbox and everybody in the class new the password to it and we asked the teachers to wrote there but it was used to communication between the members of the class too.

I prefer gmail, then again I am very anti microsoft.

Well I prefer the Windows and other Microsoft stuffs but I'm not aganist anything else.

I had a hotmail and a gmail, and, while I use my gmail the most now, I really prefer hotmail. Gmail is so hard to get around! It took me literally weeks to find my spam and trash folders. Hotmail, on the other hand, seemed overall to be a lot easier.

Plus, like Bright Glow said, I end up finding a lot of things that are important to me in my spam inbox, and it's so difficult to change what ends up going to where.

I had a hotmail and a gmail, and, while I use my gmail the most now, I really prefer hotmail. Gmail is so hard to get around! It took me literally weeks to find my spam and trash folders. Hotmail, on the other hand, seemed overall to be a lot easier.

Plus, like Bright Glow said, I end up finding a lot of things that are important to me in my spam inbox, and it's so difficult to change what ends up going to where.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only ho has problem's with Gmail's spam filter.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only ho has problem's with Gmail's spam filter.

Yeah...a lot of my friends are annoyed by it too.

I think if Google redid some things it could be a really good service, especially being with Google and everything. But as of now it could definitely use some work, that's for sure.

Finally I could open the Live side net blog's page so I can link you the entry with the screenshots from the planned metrostyle for hotmail:

http://www.liveside....hotmail-leaked/

http://www.liveside.net/2012/06/08/exclusive-even-better-screenshots-of-metro-style-hotmail-or-newmail-leaked-now-in-english/

It still seems more clear than the Gmail I hope there will be some themes to drop it up.

Hmm. Well, I may have to do some research on that.

Does anyone know about Yahoo? Kind of random, but my friend said that Yahoo is better than Gmail and Hotmail. Is it true?

Hmm. Well, I may have to do some research on that.

Does anyone know about Yahoo? Kind of random, but my friend said that Yahoo is better than Gmail and Hotmail. Is it true?

For my purposes, no. I have GMail set up perfectly for my needs. And neither Yahoo nor Hotmail can do that. Or at least they couldn't when I was deciding.

Yahoo is my second choice. If I had to switch to another mail service provider, it would be Yahoo.

I can't stand using Hotmail anymore.

I use yahoo all the time, outside of one issue I had with security (I kept getting hacked, turning on SMS verification solved that though) I love it, but then I went there back when it first started being unlimited so I've not used hotmail much lately, so I can't do a direct comparison... If you have a specific question thought I'll gladly try to answer it.

I use yahoo all the time, outside of one issue I had with security (I kept getting hacked, turning on SMS verification solved that though) I love it, but then I went there back when it first started being unlimited so I've not used hotmail much lately, so I can't do a direct comparison... If you have a specific question thought I'll gladly try to answer it.

Well, I just want to know more about the navigation and whatnot. I should probably just get one and play with it for a bit. :P

and what kind of services do you use next to sending e-mail and how sattisfied are you with them?

As I mentioned I use SkyDrive when I sending photos in big number but I like to use the hotmail's calendar because it's good and I like that I can add symbols to the events. Too bad there are only few symbols. :(

Well, to be honest for years i've used AOL as my main mail bin... now it's more like my trashbin... i get so much spam and so many newsletters fr omcrap i dont care about anymore it's just... blegh... I need to transfer all the important stuff to my new email...

Which is Gmail. I decided to use it since... well, google own EVERYTHING, so it syncs up to all my stuff... Google Drive, Googel Docs, youtube, etc. And although i get a lot of random chats from bots trying to sex chat with me, i dont get any email spam... So yeah, i'm enjoying it so far...

I use a mixture, these days.

It used to be that I exclusively used Microsoft Live's email (It's just hotmail, I don't really know if there's any difference) and it works fine for me, but I had two or three overall problems with their service.

1. Like any email address, over the years the account became flooded with a lot of stuff I don't particularly care for anymore. (I don't need your weekly newsletters, DAZ 3D.) - Granted, that's not their fault.

2. Their website is abnormally slow and clunky, forcing me to go through two links to reach my inbox, and taking a little longer than I was happy with, since I don't tend to like checking my email to begin with.

3. Windows Live Messenger (MSN messenger) only opens email notifications in Internet Explorer. I do not use Internet Explorer. I hate it.

Which led me to start using Gmail's service instead, using one of my domain names in replacement of @gmail.com. For me, Gmail loads faster (One click from my browser of choice - chrome - and I'm in my inbox), and it's different, yes, but not hard to get used to. One feature in particular that I love is the inbox filter - it's like a spam filter, but you get to tell it to directly look for specific lines of text in the body or header of messages you get, and then automatically archive, delete, or send them to the spam folder.

That last feature there is pretty awesome, because using that, I've set up my @live.com email to redirect to my Gmail inbox, which filters and deletes the stuff that was there before that I couldn't be bothered to clean up. This way, I still get my email from hotmail, without getting the spam from hotmail.

Granted, I'm sure hotmail has a similar feature to that, but I'd never run across it through the years, and it was easy to find with Gmail.

As for Messenger, I don't really need to worry about those email notifications, because popping open my Gmail account in chrome is so easy that I just check it daily. I turned those notifications off.