Fallout: Equestria - Desolation (Open to all who wish to join.)

NephoxVenom

Gadget began talking again, seemingly about his past. Tehengu shrugged it off, as it seemed he was the only one willing to share much of anything about their families. Shadow gave no information, and all Gadget supplied was that it had ended badly. The griffon didn't really mind though. He kept walking along, staying on the lookout for trouble. Sometimes he wished he had a pip-buck, for the E.F.S., if nothing else. It would certainly help in determining between friend and foe, though his instincts were doing a fine job of that already. Really, they would point out enemies he couldn't see, so that he would know they were coming. He knew Gadget had one, but he wasn't about to steal it off the pony. He was no raider or bandit, he tried not to steal things from people. That is, unless it was necessary or part of his assignment.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pony's blind gaze slowly trailed up to the sky. Once again observing it's strange mishmash of colors. And then glanced down to the ground. Oh how groggy he was starting to feel. The stallion pulled a canteen from his satchel, and quickly drank it. He heard the ticking sounds of the gieger meter. But he couldn't care at the moment. A bit of radiation never hurts, not to mention it gives him seomthing else to put his mind on other than the pain. His eyes flickered as he observed the warnings of the pipbuck. Oh good, he was already nearing the stages of basic radiation poisoning. Just a mere hair shy from it. But he was still theoretically ok! He'll have to give the scientist a nice big hug for giving an obvious borderline safe condition.

Oh not to mention his already terrible vision growing a bit dim. Curious though, was his wounds closed or still open and he's just not bleeding much out any more. The pony stopped for a moment to rear back and poke his wounds with his nose. No, there partially closed, but his dizzyness didnt assure him of anything.

"Shadow? Now I don't mean to ask this of you... but you wouldn't happen to still have that first aid kit would you? I believe I am starting get on my... ah... last leg."

Shadow looked at Gadget with a grimace, then got into his saddlebag. After searching around, he finally found the first-aid kit. He got Gadget to sit on his haunches, then proceeded to look over the blind pony. Shadow then began to work on Gadget, attempting to get some of the radiation out of his body. Shadow had rad-away, but there was only so much it could do. With the alert raiders and the herd of ghouls behind them, it'd take longer to get back to New Appleoosa than it would to get back to Tenpony Tower. Shadow believed that Gadget would be able to hold on until they got there, but it certainly would be a risk to take.

Shadow sighed, "I only have so much rad-away... with the ghouls and raiders behind us, it would take longer to get back to New Appleoosa. The ghouls have most likely spread out or they're heading in our direction. We could go around them, but on both sides of us are deep territories for raiders and the Steel Rangers. To the east of us is a Steel Ranger complex... they pretty much guard the surrounding area. You know how trigger happy those ponies can be... and to the other side of us is a much more dense population of raiders. We already know what's behind us... so, going around them isn't advisable. All we can do is move forward and hope to get to Tenpony Tower fast enough to get a proper radiation treatment."

Tehengu stopped and kept watch as Shadow began working on Gadget. It would probably be easier to get to the tower at this point than it would be to get back to the town they had left. Shadow seemed to agree, as he said roughly the same thing.

"Yeah, It would be easier to continue than it would be to go back." He said, sparing a glance back at the two ponies before continuing. "I'm ready to move on whenever you two are. Although, I wouldn't recommend sitting around too long with those raiders so close to us." He finished, going back to keeping a lookout.

"OW OW OW OWWWW," The pony whined after feelin the needle suddenly jab into his leg. The pony quivered a bit, till he felt the fluids ooze into him. The stallion's childish whines turned into a deep gutteral growl in discomfort. He could easily admit that the pony wasn't the best medic he had ever had in history. The ones back in Dodge junction were much gentler, with only a tad bit more of skill. Some were nice enough to knock you unconscious if it was severe enough. The pony did his best to remain still after being hooked up with a hypo. Oh how he really detested having things flow into him. It made him feel all icky and cold inside. The pony's eyes flickered a bit after the magical effects of the pipbuck told him... he was still virtually dead. At least he wasn't bleeding out anymore... or so dangerously irradiated.

"Wh-who... the buck taught you first aid..."

Shadow's face was indifferent and emotionless as always, "The Wasteland..."

He got up and stared over the horizon, a grimace upon his muzzle. This was going to be a hard couple of days, that much was for sure. He could have been a bit gentler, but truth be told, he wasn't exactly the nicest pony. Though, that much might be a bit obvious. He packed up the medical supplies and plotted the course to Tenpony Tower on his pipbuck. He couldn't help but be a bit amused by Gadget's complaining... it reminded him of... no, that stays in the past.

He turned back towards them, a small and genuine, not to mention rare, grin on his face, "Let's go face our doom, shall we?"

With that, he started walking towards Tenpony Tower.

Tehengu observed the smile Shadow gave. He was smiling somewhat himself, if only because those two had inadvertently reminded him of the past companions he had had most recently. Shadow reminded him of the impromptu leader of said group, if only because they were both unicorns running from their past. He pushed his memories out of his thoughts for now as he began to follow after Shadow, making sure Gadget wasn't falling behind while still keeping a lookout.

Gadget sighed to the answer he received. If it wasn't for the fact that this man literally learned medical on his own, he would have been indifferent to the treatment he was receiving. He couldn't notice the smile that shadow had shown them. His eyes could see things that were close enough to him, but everything was still a muddled mix of blotchy darkness, overly bright whites, and maybe a few blurry muddy colors here and there. But he was just about ready to throw in the towel at this point in welcome his last breath.

"Yaaaay..." the pony groaned as he now rose to his feet. The warning message still flashing in his gaze by the magical projection. "Welp! If I do die! Please do me the favor of delivering the collar I am wearing to dodge station. I don't know the reason though. Medical Malpractice, or if I trip over a stone."

Shadow sighed a bit as he realized that he was getting drawn closer to these ponies. He wasn't entirely sure if they were even remotely close to being his friends, but they were the closest thing he had. That was a bit sad, but it was the truth. Sometimes he wondered what it would be like to have friends... to have ponies that you could care about while they cared for you. His mother and father had been the only ones who did that for him. Now he didn't know what it felt like... all he felt was a cold emptiness.

Tehengu smirked slightly at what Gadget said, but otherwise gave no reaction to it. He simply continued on his way. These ponies were getting closer to being his friends than he thought they would get. He figured Shadow and him would have a more professional relationship, as their chosen professions weren't that far apart from each other.

It kind of scared the griffon, honestly. He'd lost all his previous friends, either through death or by parting on less than friendly terms. Making new friends... it wasn't something he was really prepared for. He didn't want to lose more of his friends.

Gadget's panting slowly died down as his body became numb. Most definitely a good sign! At least he can soldier on without worrying about feeling more pain! But, he could honestly say he had a perfectly good reason to not die now. Right now anyways. He has a brother who does care for him waiting back at Dodge Station, or where ever he was right now. But also a group of ponies he... can barely even describe with the word friend after that last little insult they tossed. He had contemplated killing them for such a foolish choice of words, but now he had actually grown to tolerate the two. Least he could trust them to not kill him.

"Well. Long as I am in this state, I should go ahead and confess. Mmm... my family. I have a brother who's black and white. But he wasn't born with me," The pony began, as he fought through his dizzyness. "Wonderful days were had if I remembered things correctly. It's funny what your mind will suppress... but it always manages to break through, and pulls a chord in my heart. The raiders whom found our peaceful little home. Armed with only a rusty pitchfork, and a five shot revolver, and decided to play a game! They carved up my eyes, for my defiance. With a spoon. Logic was a spoon was sharper than a knife. I don't know about that. But it hurt... pretty badly. And broke me. Little ole weak me........ was forced to take their lives. And little ole me... was given a way to remember them. Inside me. Quite literally actually as they forced the remains......." The pony stopped for a moment. His eyes flickering for a moment as flash backs came back. His smile twisted. Both from delight enduced from his loss of sanity, and regret from what little of his younger-self remained. "Mmm.... I should stop there. Anyways, that's when I met my brother. The Zebra." The pony paused once more. And thought to himself. "I don't feel any better. I just hate myself now. Yeaaah... so anyways. Assuming I do live through this. Do me a favor... if under any circumstance I was to loose myself completely. Complete what my brother promised. Take my life."

Shadow continued to walk across the Wasteland, no doubt getting a small dose of radiation here and there. His body had been trained to ignore quite a bit, but he was still a living organism. The last thing he wanted was to become ghoulified... now that would suck. He was glad for the silence between the three of them, as it left quite a bit of room to think. He did not dare to play the radio, because it probably wasn't the safest thing to do. They'd been dealt a really bad situation and he didn't feel like worsening it just to give his ears something nice to listen to. So, he stuck with the silence... the all too familiar silence. Sometimes he wondered what the point of surviving was... like, what were you living for? To breath toxic air every day and be swarmed by ghouls and raiders? Truthfully, he didn't know why he kept going... was it pride? Pfft, no... he didn't care about himself. And there was certainly nothing to be proud of in his life. Well, maybe the password he had for a certain something... yeah. That's why kept moving on when things went sour. He had a promise to fulfill...

Tehengu listened as Gadget talked about a brother and what the raiders had made him do to him. At the end of the take, Gadget requested they take his life if he were to turn raider. The griffon nodded once at that, then continued in silence. The trip was quiet, which helped their attempt at sneaking. All the while, Tehengu panned his gaze around, on the lookout for trouble. If anything hostile found them, he wanted to know before getting shot at.

Gadget didn't bother much with the effort of search. His ears and sensitivity to touch were usually enough to detect the faintest breeze of a running pony. His smell was even enough to pick up the smell of carrion that a lot of murderous ponies wore on their bodies from their previous slaughters. That, and the smell of sulfur, and metal from things like bullet casings and mines. However a sniper might be something difficult for him to spot without the lens heavily magnifying any light that the pony CAN actually detect with his damaged eyes. So he left it up to them to look for anything particularly annoying for the pony to try and find.

It had been about three hours since they'd last talked, and exhaustion was already taking hold of the group. Shadow looked over at a house that was on the horizon, the roof having been ripped off years ago. Other than that, it looked to in surprisingly good shape. This could mean some well-needed rest. There might be a place where they could hide, away from the dangers of the Wasteland. Of course, there was no guarantee that they'd be safe, but it was a lot better than being out in the open.

He looked to the others, "There's a house in the distance... I know I said we should keep going, but we'll be no good in a fight if we do get in one. We need to get some rest... we can't afford to make mistakes because of exhaustion."

Well, it was a quiet and uneventful walk. Not a bad thing considering some of the alternatives. Eventually, a house came over the horizon, and it looked safe enough to rest in. Which was good, because even he was getting tired after this much walking, not to mention the large battle with the ghouls. He was sure the others were tired too, as he seemed to be the one with the most endurance here. He could be wrong, obviously, but it seemed that way to him.

Shadow pointed out the house, saying they should rest because they weren't really in any state to fight if they got caught in one. Tehengu had to agree with that, when you were tired, you tended to make more mistakes, and a single mistake during battle could cost you your life.

"I see it. And I think you're right. We should stop there to rest." The griffon said, nodding slightly in agreement.

"And of the house's residents," Gadget asked with a bit of interest. His eyes couldn't see the house that the others could. But he wasn't really certain if that would be one of the grandest ideas. Especially when houses tended to be a dime of a few and highly sought out for exotic value. And by Exotic, a unlived nostalgic value that can only be truly appreciated by a sane ghoul.

Gadget asked about the house's residents, and Shadow replied that that was why he had a stealth buck. The griffon glanced at the unicorn before looking back at the house in the distance. If the house had residents, they shouldn't just kill them.

"Shouldn't we talk to them first or something? Assuming they aren't raiders or such, obviously." Tehengu said as he watched the house.

"I..." Gadget began. His hoof now slowly rising to cover his muzzle. This wasn't entirely what the pony meant. But if the stallion really planned on just murdering anyone who was inside that house for a refuge, he'd be fine with it as long as the blood wasn't on his hooves. "I think that is his thought..."

Archived