Quality Debt (Closed: BlindJester, Pressy)

SteelEagle

The train came to a loud and clicking stop, kicking up clouds upon clouds of dust along the way. Valen was too busy staring out the window and sighting to consider the sights and smells closer to the doors exiting the train. He could imagine it clear enough. The smell of sweat and the mid-day sun mixing together to create a stench that permeated towns such as Dodge Junction. It meant hard work, honest work, hooves in the dirt and backs breaking with the labors of a society that too often forgot the ponies that fed them and kept things truly functioning. He could appreciate it even though he knew for a fact that he was mostly incapable of the same quality of work. He just wasn't that type of pony! His relation to those that were capable of this work was why he was here however, and it made him reflect that life was often times entirely unfair.

He wasn't here because of anything he had done or because he wanted to be, but to help pay of a familial debt that he had no business in helping create. Applejack had once signed on to work with a Miss Cherry Jubilee for a period time and skipped off soon after. The reasons may have been legitimate and worthy but that contract still existed. Now, Cherry Jubilee appeared to be a fair and kind pony and didn't immediately demand compensation. She didn't start a large feud that would tear apart Equestrian agriculture relations, nor did she hassle the Apples constantly seeking the proper time for a full payment of what she was very correctly owed. And for that Valen thanked her, because when she did ask for payment she at least had the good timing to get it when he wasn't in the middle of a world tour or somesuch. Not that it made any more sense from where he stood.

For reasons he was not aware of, Cherry Jubilee had asked for him to come in Applejack's stead, and Applejack had accepted. He had been told afterward. It was a mostly unfortunate series of events especially considering that she ran a cherry farm and he didn't really have the hooves for such things, but he had decided to tackle it with the sort of general gusto and excitement he tackled most of his endeavors with. He had packed light- he had been told that he wouldn't need much as he was going to be provided with plenty once he got there, and he was okay with that. He didn't want to dirty his finery and the other elements of class he normally came with, though he still made sure to throw in a few different work sets as well as a single piece of formal wear.

The train stopped. Sighing. Present- ponies shuffled past him in the passenger cart. He quickly made his way off, the dust, dirt, musk of the train station hitting him heavy as he walked off and waited for his bags. He was told to meet Cherry Jubilee at her place which wasn't that far from the train station. Also hard to miss coming in, what with the extremely large cherry fields in the back. He also noted as he trotted over that it was very close to a saloon- did she own that too? An industrious mare, it seemed. After gathering himself he approached the front door, one overstuffed suitcase in tow, and knocked on it.

"Sweet Celestia it sure is a scorcher out today" said the middle aged mare wiping her brow while tilling soil. Cherry Jubilee was in the back of the fields all dressed up in her usual cherry fields attire. A saddle bag that contained cherry tree seeds with cherry designed latches on the front flaps, a nice big hat to protect her from the heat and protect her lovely mane that she puts at least an hour into putting it up into its signature manestyle, and cow patterned boots to protect her from the roughness of Cherry tree planting. "A great addition to my already blossoming trees! These cherry trees sure will produce some fiiiine cherries I can just feel it" she then began to plant the seeds after tilling a good amount of soil around the back of the field. So focused in her work she didn't realize the time when she heard the chime of the bell signalling it is the top of the hour.

"Oh pony feathers! I was supposed to go meet Valen that AppleJack sent!" Quickly she galloped to the front of the field's entrance and rushed over to her house in order to beat the young pony to the door. After a quick glance at the town clock she realized he wouldn't be there for another hour and slowed down her pace.She made it to home within a couple of minutes and went inside.She took off her hat and boots placing the hat on the coat stand and her boots near the door. Cherry then trotted upstairs into her room to drop off her saddle bags and look at herself in the mirror to make sure she's presentable when her guest arrives. She pondered the thought of having to take care of a young colt and what it would entail as she looked around her house with disdain. "Ugh I can't bring a colt into this mess. I should really clean up around here, darn season has gotten me out of my usual cleaning habits."

While she cleaned up her home and the guest bedroom for Valen she considered names to give him once he got here. "Hazel Blossom sounds like a lovely name for a lovely filly! And the perfect undercover name for my future barmaid" She nodded to herself while she finished up her cleaning, the last of her cleaning being the guest bedroom. She dusted off the bed frame, the wardrobe, the night stand, and the window sill as well as made the bed before she heard a knock at the door. "Must be him!" she chirped to herself as she trotted down the steps and opened the door to see the colt with a large luggage bag. "And you must be Valen! You're cute as a button! Come in come in!" She opened the door wider and backed up allowing Valen to enter. "So, Valen, there are a few things I would wish to discuss with you about living here and what I expect from you. I hope you're up for the challenge, you seem like a colt that can handle himself."

Valen sighed in relief as he entered. She was at least a genial sort it seemed! As expected she had the smell of good, honest work about her, even if covered up by some fine perfume- did he detect something Prench- no, no. The Mustangia region? Ahh, he was just overthinking it. He had a nose for perfumes but he didn't have a purely categorically accurate view of it. It was more of a passing fancy of his as part of his career, since smells worked to really cinch the deal. Ponies could become cynical with what they saw and heard but smells? Smells went right through the defenses of most, aromas provoking certain emotions and conditions rapidly. When wrapped with the right smell a pony could truly transform. 

He expected that some ground rules would have to be set. After all, he wasn't here as an invited guest, but as a worker under a contract. Rules, regulations, roles and responsibilities were all his to have under her care and employ. He had already mentally prepared himself for the inevitability of being a field worker though that seemed a criminal misuse of his talents and begged the question why he was here instead of an actual, high quality farm worker. Not that he'd protest too much. He had nothing against good, hard, honest work, even if he knew he was woefully incapable of most tasks associated with it.

"Thank you for having me," Valen responded with a bow after he entered, placing his luggage down with a small grunt of effort and no small hint of satisfaction. He had packed light enough considering what he was being sent to do and for how long he was doing it, but packing light in such circumstances meant little more than don't pack like a madstallion. he was sure he had done that and then some, trimming the fat with as much deserved praise as he required to get through the task. "You have a lovely home here, Miss Jubilee. And your cherry fields looked splendid coming in. How many acres do you own?" Valen asked, more or less to put her at ease and make the incoming, likely farm oriented, talk more genial and less...farm-talky, he supposed. He did have one card he had every intention of playing, however little chance he viewed it as working.

"Well, I came prepared!" he said, digging through his luggage and finding a folder marked 'Business Skills'. Just because he assumed that he was going to be a farm worker and had made peace with it did not mean he was necessarily resigned to that fate. He pulled out what looked like a resume, a professional one at that. He hoofed it over. "I have received some of the finest education in Manehattan and, through my work with cousin Applejack and my parents, have had close access to two of the largest and most successful agricultural businesses in the nation. Hopefully my business acumen an help you in ways both great and small!" He said with all the well-bred good nature and politeness that came with a natural interview session.

Cherry Jubilee couldn't help but notice the rather over-sized luggage that the colt was tugging in behind him and wondered what all he brought and what he thought she'd have him do while he was here. He seemed like an honest pony which is a good trait to have around these parts and gets straight down to business which she could appreciate immensely. "Well aren't you sweeter than candied cherries! I thank you greatly for the compliment, I was just tidying up before you got here. I have your room all set up for you upstairs and if you need something don't be afraid to ask." She took his resume and stored it in her saddle bag for now until it's time for business. Cherry smiled brightly at the Valen happy to have a helping hoof and ecstatic about having some company over. Not that she minds being alone in her home it's just sometimes she wishes she could have a stallion or Mare and a young foal to take care of. Even if it's just for a little while she's going to enjoy being responsible for another life and wants to prove she can be a good caretaker. "Now now then before we get really down to business I want to show you around the house a bit so you know where you're going once we finish all the business talk okay dear? Oh! As for how many Acres I own, I own about a little under what the Apples have but I'm trying to catch up to their massive farm"

Ushering Valen up the stairs past some old family photos of Cherry Jubilee with her Ma, Pa, and sister back in the day. These provoked some emotion from her causing her to sniffle as she doesn't get to see her folks as often but at least she gets to see her Sister and her nephew often enough. She tripped on one of the stairs and that brought her back to the present. "Sorry about that sugarcube I was lost in thought for a second there, anyway down this hall to the left is your side of the house. You have a bathroom right next door to your room and I have mine in my room so we won't have to worry about sharing one bathroom while ya here alright? To the right is my side of the house like I said don't be afraid to knock on my door anytime you need something." She took him to the room to show him where to put his stuff when he gets around to it.  

The room was rather bare but she never really had guests before so she kept it clean at least with basic furnishings, a tall and sturdy wardrobe with a deep chest, a nightstand for placing anything the heart desired onto with a little more storage space under it and lastly the full sized bed that was soft to the hoof. "Now let's get to the kitchen and get you something to drink I'm sure you must be parched!" She slowly walked down the steps and into the kitchen to grab two glasses and a bottle of her home made Cherry cider. Popping the cork she says to Valen " I know it's nothing like Apple Cider but I think it's pretty darn good anyway." and she poured two glasses and pushed one toward Valen. "Now then..." Cherry rummaged into her bag and pulled out Valen's pristine resume. "Yes a good business acumen is perfect for the job I have in store for you..." she read through the resume and was quite impressed with how professionally written it was. Placing the papers down and tapping her hoof against her chin she thought about how to bring up the impending topic.

Valen knew that this was a good type of mare based purely on her levels of excitement with dealings she had with him, a complete stranger. Polite and nice but not in a fake sort of way. He had modeled enough to know the sort of fawning facade ponies out on to dole out deliriously excited bundles of over-expression, only to find out they were laced with either sinister motives or awkward intention. His recent history told him to be wary of playing the role of anything else than a cautious estimator of a nother pony's personality, but so far he was impressed with the genuine sweetness on display. In such a rough and tumble town like Dodge Junction he was sure there was something more to her than a kind smile and easy attitude, but for now, he'd take the pleasantness on display.

The room he was shown was bare, but that was fine. No doubt he would have all the time in the world to make do with it. He could imagine a lot of things to do with the space. Not that he needed a lot anyway. He wasn't here on a model tour and thus in deep need of a tremendous amount of spaces for dresses to be on mannequins. Clothes in dresser, formal wear in the closet, it would be simple and easy. He thought he glimpsed something in the closet but didn't take a second look as he was too busy conversing with Cherry. She was engaging- almost as large as the farm at Sweet Apple Acres? Makes sense! Place had some excellent space. Sweet Apple Acres had a lot more to it than the farm of course, but that didn't take away from the impressive operation Cherry ran here.

They sat down and she gave him a drink. "Thank you, Miss Jubilee," he said with some pep. Indeed, he preferred apple cider. Cherry cider didn't have the right mix of flavors as far as he was concerned and they seemed separated rather than woven together, but he just chalked it up to a more apple and orange trained tongue. Cherries and strawberries? He liked them, but he was an amateur as far as they were concerned. As he drank he watched her read, nervous about what his job would be. It was excellent to hear though that his business acumen, as overblown as he made it seem in the resume, was worth something here. If there was even the slightest chance that he would be involved in non-labor tasks, he'd be overjoyed! He was already working on the letter he'd send back to Manehattan, asking for his parents to send more of his nice formal attire. "I'm pleased to hear that! What would that job be, Miss Jubilee?"

Sitting in thought for a few moments Cherry Jubilee debated the best way of telling this young colt she needed him to be a young filly and work her at her saloon. She decided being blunt and honest was the best policy for this and she was sure he would appreciate the reasoning behind it all. "Well... You see Valen. I need you to be a barmaid at my Saloon." She paused a moment to let that sink in before she continued, "One of my current barmaids has to stop temporarily due to her recently having a foal and of course I can't force her to work shifts with a newborn. So I thought maybe AppleJack could do it in her place til the usual barmaid can come back which wouldn't be for quite sometime and this was a good enough reason to call in my contract with her, but once I heard of all the farm work she had at Sweet Apple Acres I couldn't ask her to do it. I caught wind of what you do and how fantastic a job you are at it and I decided you would be an ample replacement." She took another moment looking into her cider debating on what to say next to the young colt. She was sure he was looking forward to doing something more business oriented considering his resume.

"I know you were probably looking forward to working on the farm or doing something more. . . hooves on in the business side of things, but I need a barmaid first. You wouldn't be doing much all you have to do is take orders and bring them to their tables and of course you'd have to wear the barmaid uniform and a big smile." She took a sip of her cider and let the taste permeate her taste buds. It was rather refreshing but she couldn't help but feel nervous about what the Valen would say in response not that he had much of a choice in the matter but still she didn't want this to turn into an argument. Cherry finished the rest of her cider and smiled once more at Valen hoping to calm any doubts he might have about this gig.  "This is all you have to do until my usual barmaid is back or until I am satisfied with the work put in for the contract. Although I will need you to be a filly for your entire duration here so not to cause any confusion as to who the new barmaid is when I introduce you to everyone. I've even picked out a name for you! How does Hazel Blossom sound? Hm?" 

Valen wasn't sure what to expect once she started speaking. He saw her look ever so slightly hesitant to put the words out there and he quickly understood why, though all the pieces slid into place easily enough. He wasn't sent here for any big reason relating to business or Applejack's belief that he needed to do more hooves on labor. Instead it had to do with a unique skill-set he had compared to others. A great deal of modeling experience as a filly gave him all the confidence and ability needed to do this job from a personality and physicality angle. Of course it was a little puzzling, still. Why couldn't Apple Bloom have done it? She was a filly and had all the country charm a place like this would require. Still, he was here instead of her and he quickly perished any thoughts if defiance. All told it was a better result than having to do farm labor would have been.

So, barmaid. Filly the whole time. He almost had to sigh, but this was overall excellent news. While he had prepared himself mentally for the physical labor he had resigned himself to, he had come prepared with resume specifically so he could have a shot at avoiding it. While he would have preferred a dusty backroom with bookkeeping keeping him busy, Valen was more than happy to pull the wool over some eyes and dress the part for a while instead. She may have been worried about his response but Valen put those fears to ease with a quick laugh and a smile. "Well, that certainly makes my job easier. Truth be told Miss Jubilee- while I was more than prepared to give it an honest go as a farm hoof, I am not quite made for it. The modeling ramp, a boutique, magazine shoots- I am made for that far more than I am farm work!" He said, an easy sigh escaping.

"Okay. So, I'll be a barmaid for you and a filly all the time while here?" He nodded, "that doesn't seem objectionable, per se. I've spent considerably lengths of time as a model, and that is under the lens of the public and fashion photographers alike. No doubt I can pull this off fo you. Of course since you have a name- Hazel is a good choice, by the way, very pretty- I assume you have the uniform and any pieces of makeup or other gear you need? And, I assume, the reason I'm here with you instead of anywhere else? I'd like to be shown the uniform, please. And feel free to let me in on any details you need me to know. I'd hate to be caught undoing this good work by saying the wrong thing," Valen said cheerfully, hoping she'd him on. He had expectations that 'Hazel' was from somewhere. Once he had that and some basic knowledge he could hopefully nail down an accent and get used to his uniform before being sent to work.

Infinitely better than picking cherries, anyway. 

He took the news better than expected and that gave Cherry Jubilee a warm and fuzzy feeling because now she can do what she wanted to do from the beginning. Turning this colt into a filly would make this transition process a lot easier for her now that the pony is willing. "I'm glad to hear you're all for this gig Valen. Now then your uniform is upstairs in your room and you have a couple to choose from." She lead the colt back upstairs to his room and opened the wardrobe for him revealing the work uniforms in various colors red, blue, purple, and green. "You can choose whichever of these colors fits best for you while you work for me and you can change it up too if you want. If there is a color you think would look best on you and I don't have I'll be sure to put in an order for you." She opened the drawers on the bottom of the wardrobe and pulled out black stockings and white stockings. "These are also part of the uniform but are not mandatory if you don't like them. Oh! I also bought you some feminine smelling soap I hope you don't mind that but we've got to keep you smelling as fresh as a daisy, but I'm sure you understand the importance of smells."

After she showed him the uniforms she took him back to the kitchen for the ground rules that will be going on during his stay as well as letting him now his new background as Hazel Blossom. "So, from this point forward I will be referring to you as Hazel so you can get used to the name by the time you start working. Let's say you're from Manehatten so you don't have to change up your style of speaking too much. You're a distant friend's niece who wanted to try out working and you were suggested to me." She tapped a hoof on her muzzle to figure out what else Hazel should know before her debut as Cherry's new barmaid.

"Oh, and I'm glad you like the name I thought it would be adorable for you. As for rules I'm pretty laid back about things as long as you tell me where you're going and about how long you'll be gone for for when you start making friends and going out if you feel like it. I'm not going to keep you cooped up in this house cause a young pony needs a social life! I also expect you to clean up after yourself if you make any messes. If there is anything important I should know about you I would like to know now please."She poured another glass of Cherry cider for herself and offered some to Hazel. "If all goes well we should have you all fit in in no time!" Cherry clapped her hooves together in excitement for all that is to come. "Are there any other questions you may have for me?"

Hmm, interesting designs. A bit much for barmaids where he was from but Valen could only guess that it was the saloon style that was most certainly in vogue in this part of Equestria. It was nice that he had choices which was somewhat rare in his profession. He was used to have a somewhat strict regimen of clothing to wear. Of course here the choices were four colors of uniform and two stocking choices. Red would go well with either stocking and green would be fantastic with white. Blue and black seemed best, purple could work with either. While she spoke he stepped forward and felt the uniform. It would be an easy enough thing to wear for hours, he felt. Soft yet firm, with just a hint of work-aiding stretch. He would probably alternate colors of stocking and uniform and by doing so he thought he could have it work for- ohh- a week before repeating? That would hopefully be as important as a barmaid as it would a model's touring routine. Feminine soaps and such would help, and the shoes would work. He could do that easy enough.

Next- Hazel was from Manehattan? Hmm, a little boring perhaps, but he expected it would make it easier. His Prench accent withstood weeks on the road but he wasn't expected to speak very often. Maybe it would break under more use? He had worked on a more western accent while at Sweet Apple Acres. Working with and around his cousins imparted some conversational tidbits. Still, it was bound to be easier. He'd still put a bit of a twisr on the accent and move it away from a purely feminine strain of his own, but the accent was going to be so easy and thoughtless once he started doing it that he was sure in just a few days it would be more of a problem trying to stop it than it would be keeping it going. He was mostly worried about his pelt and mane color. Hmm, maybe eyes too. As he took everything in he was thinking more about a new look than anything else- no, best to just keep close to natural. He didn't want to make Miss Jubilee buy extra product for some silly reason that didn't have a truly noticeable impact to anypony but him.

"I'll make sure to keep you well informed of my comings and goings outside of work, Miss Jubilee. I am a  tidy enough c- filly, a tidy enough filly," he said, trying to get into character. And he looked around, working on his voice. "And- and- and- and?- okay, there we go. I like this one! And don't worry much about surprises. Honestly, the biggest secret I have is my rather spectacular modeling career. Since you already know that I believe you are more than aware of the ins and outs of Hazel Blossom," he finished with a pleasant, easy smile, his voice matching that of any number of his female classmates to a tee. The important element in it was a simple twinge to his own tone and of course the pitch. But what ponies often forgot when trying to do a different voice for a different personality was the importance of word choice and energy. This voice had a nice, soft feminine touch to it, but was sped up and seemingly burning with excitement. He'd have to play around with it some but it felt like it could hold.

"And what about you? Anything else I need to know?" he asked while tapping his chest when he mentioned himself, a bit haughty yet still delightfully engaging.

"Is there anything else to know about me? Well I don't think so! I'm pretty straight forward. I have no foals of my own so you don't have to worry about sharing anything while you're here. Hmmm. . . if you have any questions to ask me now is the time to do it! I'm usually a very busy mare what with running the saloon and the cherry fields. I'm usually in the fields from early morning to mid afternoon and in the saloon from late afternoon to the early evening." She rambled on about her schedule and how busy it keeps her. She was glad to have a pony to talk to even if they were a colt so she won't go into too many grown up issues of course, but being able to get some things off her chest was just as well. "Oh excuse me I'm just here rambling on and on. I'm sure you're tuckered out from your journey here and I won't keep you much longer though." She tapped her hoof to her chin once more thinking of what else she needed to tell Hazel before she went to unpack. Honestly she wanted to keep the filly around for a little longer just because she wants to chat a bit more.

"Now that you've seen everything is there anything else you need to make this stay as comfortable as possible? Is the room to your satisfaction? You can of course customize it to however you see fit while you're here." She took a small drink from her cider as a sudden memory popped into her head making her go "Of course!" she left the kitchen for a moment and came back with her saddlebags on her back. "I have a little present for you if you don't mind. I thought it would be a good token of our friendship and of our new partnership!" She set the saddlebags on the kitchen table and rummaged through the left one silently cursing herself for being so disorganized today. Eventually she found what she was looking for and pulled out necklace that had a deep blue sapphire on it. It was a simple enough the necklace itself was made our of some time of black cord while the small sapphire was in the shape of a star. It glinted in the kitchen light and Cherry Jubilee thought this would be the perfect gift for the new filly. "I hope it is to your liking Hazel, I saw this and just had to buy it! They say it's a good luck charm so be sure to wear it all the time to have spectacular luck! I think it goes wonderfully with your coat as well." She passed the necklace across the table so Hazel could get a better look at it.

Valen allowed Cherry's answer to wash over him. No doubt there was more to the story but he wasn't gonna press. They had hardly started speaking and it would be the height of rudeness for him to demand more companionship and openness when he was here primarily on matters of business. It was only her kindly personality and the somewhat peculiar nature of his job here that made such immediate affections important. Over time he hoped to bridge the gap between friendly worker and domestic interloper and real friend, if only to ensure that the debt was paid off in deep and considerable ways. "Oh, I shan't push, Miss Jubilee. We'll have plenty of time to talk and gab, right? Haha- a while in-deed!" he laughed, wondering how the rest of this trip would go. Entertaining, probably.

As they were talking, Jubilee realized she forgot something. She ran about and gave to Valen a gift, and Valen immediately fell in love with it. It was so pretty! He had a notable weakness for gemstones and necklaces and this combined them into one solid package. He took it and gave it a nice inspection, the smile never leaving. He knew now that Cherry had put a lot of thought into why she had asked him here. It wasn't just a matter of happenstance or good luck, this was planned. And while in some ways that could be considered disturbing, in the majority of ways he didn't care and just found it pretty amazing instead. He quickly put it on and then looked at in the mirror, a lilting giggle escaping. "Hehehe, it looks amazing! You have an excellent eye for design and patterns, Miss Jubilee. Thank you for this- I'll make it part of my ensemble," he said, giving his mane a quick fix so the necklace hid under it more effectively while he a put a little extra effort into the word ensemble.

As for being tuckered out- the answer wasn't entirely simple. "Oh, I am quite tired, Miss Jubilee. But! I am going to have to go over patterns and ideas and the look I need for work. I couldn't dare sleep before! I'll unpack and get comfortable, work on my rotation, take a nice, long bath and really work the soaps in for the proper smell. Then I'll likely get dressed and get comfortable in the clothes before work! Ooooh, how exciting!" He said, admiring himself in the mirror some. It was true that as Gilded Lilly he had been something of a diva in an effort to fully conceal. Part of that would naturally bleed over into Hazel Blossom on the simple account of acting.

----------------

Hazel came out in in the blue uniform with black stockings, the colored feather going with the uniform perched in the mane. . The soaps and perfumes had been expertly and strategically placed to smother any hint of masculine musk when required but mostly to lend a soft, friendly air to her proceedings. The mane had been done up in a fashion he thought pleasant to this part of Equestria- straight until near the ends, with a heavy curve going up. More manestyles were on the way of course, the right style was rarely easily found. Dying the coat or mane was not out of the question in the future! Hazel sought out Jubilee with a bounce in her step. "Miss Jubilee! I do believe I now com equipped with all the necessary tools for the job! Haha, is it time?"

To see the Hazel's face light up at the necklace warmed Cherry's heart to the core and she couldn't help but smile as well. "I'm glad you love it dear! I thought long and hard about what the best gift would be and something told me you'd like a necklace like that." She kicked her front hoof in embarrassment at Hazel's compliment. "Oh, dear I just try to pick out what I think looks best is all. I wouldn't say I have an eye for fashion though I'll leave that to the professionals." Cherry didn't expect the filly to be so ready to start work immediately, she expected her to take a few days to get comfortable and settled into the new environment. Instead she's raring to go and get hooves first into the job! She chose the right pony for this gig indeed and Cherry mentally patted herself on the back for this decision. "Well if you're ready to work after a little r and r I'm quite ready to put you to it." Once Hazel trotted off Cherry Jubilee decided to finish polishing up a few things around the house to pass the time. She dusted the portraits once more and polished her table as well as reorganize her shelves and books. Once she was satisfied with her work Hazel came back looking fabulous in her work uniform.

"Well well well look at you! All ready for work are we? Well it's a little early to be going to the saloon but it's a great time to introduce you to the staff and show you how things work around here." She lead Hazel to the Saloon which wasn't but a few gallops away from her home and introduced Hazel to all the staff! There were cooking ponies and barmaid ponies. She just introduced the new filly barmaid as Hazel Blossom and that she's a niece of a close friend. "She'll be working here until further notice and we can all exchange names later but for now I gotta show Hazel here how the Saloon runs." So she took her on a tour of the saloon even though it wasn't too big. Cherry showed off every bit of the saloon the bathrooms were in the straight back from where the entrance is. Kitchen is seated on the left side of the entrance it had a wall up so you couldn't see inside it, but there were two doors one labelled in and other out mainly there for new ponies who work here just so they don't get confused about which door to go through. To the right of the entrance was the bar and play area. Although loosely called the play area it's mainly there for Mares and Stallions who want to play darts or cards.

Leading her over to the Bar area she showed her how each tap works and where to grab the steins and how to mix the drinks if need be. "Normally customers want just cider or Sarsaparilla and more time than most some sorta colta. Anyway this will be your main work station as well as being in the kitchen from time to time. Not many ponies come here to eat but when they do we gotta be prepared. Speaking of which let's get you over there to the Kitchen and I'll show you what you have to do there." Taking the lead once more she headed over to the kitchen and went in through the in door. "And here my dear Hazel Blossom is where you will be only picking up food orders they will be labeled for which table they go to and the tables are labeled as well but you'll get the hang of where they are soon enough. Also there is are a few trolley trays near the out door so you can utilize that when you have more than one plate of food or drinks. There will also be trolley trays near the bar as well." Heading back to the main area where three rows of tables 8 tables each stand. Cherry showed Hazel just where all the numbers are on the tables. It's engraved in the table end that faces the middle of the isle. The middle row has two engravings on each end so ponies don't have to look around the table just to see it. The outer rows have engravings that face the inside of the isle the 3 rows create.

"Okay I showed her the kitchen, bar, mess hall, play area. . . what else am I.. .Of course! The break room." She turned to Hazel and beamed "This place has a breakroom for my hard working ponies. They can rest their hooves there for a few minutes be it before shift, after shift, or during shift, but only if it's a slow day. It's back near the bathrooms down a hall to your left. You can hang up spare uniforms and other personal items back there." Cherry sat down in the middle of the room and ran down a mental list seeing if there is anything else she'll need in her barmaid adventures. Thinking the answer was no, she clopped her hooves together to get everypony's attention once more. "Well ponies I have show Hazel Blossom the ropes and how we do things in here so I think it's time to open the saloon and put her training into practice! Please be sure lend a helping hoof if she needs it! I will be in my office if anypony needs me." Giving Hazel a reassuring hug Cherry Jubilee trotted back to the back of the building and turned right and headed down a hall way. Once inside her office she smiles to herself and sits down. Eager to see how the enchantments will work over the next few days with a willing pony who is already working as a filly.

Valen followed Cherry to the saloon with equal parts excitement and trepidation. He was sure he could make people believe he was Hazel. What he was less sure was if he'd be a good barmaid. It would require a level of interaction and- yes- flirting that he didn't know if he'd be ready for. A part of him knew this to be false. He had flirted as Gilded Lilly, he had spent hours in heels and with strict regimens regarding movement. This would take longer per day, but even in this uniform he was far more comfortable on a moment by moment basis. It was going to be fine, he reminded himself as the doors opened and Cheerilee started her tour of what looked like a very nice modern saloon.

It had the feel of both an old-timey saloon and a modern restaurant, though judging from the amount of barstools in the bar area he guessed that the bar was definitely where the action happened. That and while there weren't a great many eateries in this town, nopony really came to a saloon for anything more than a quick bite along with the drinks. Speaking of- even as Valen noted everything in place, he wondered if it was actually legal for somepony underage to handle drinks. Then he realized that it likely wise because it was Dodge Junction and he needed to stop asking such silly questions. He followed around pleasantly and excitedly, introducing Hazel- "Hazel it is! Nice to meet all of you!"- to co-workers and soon-to-be-friends. All the whole he took mental notes and made sure to find the right places to stand when he needed to take stock.

When it was all said and done, the job looked like one he could do. It would be tough sledding the first week or two, but he was sure that by the time he rounded into it, the whole thing would be second nature. And that was important! He wanted to do well by Miss Jubilee, because that meant doing well by Applejack, and doing well by the two of them allowed him to be content with his own sense of personal honor and responsibility. Life experience too- that always came into play somehow, someway, someday. When all was said and done, all Hazel could do was smile. "Well, I am absolutely delighted to be working at such a bespoke establishment in this fine town. I look forward to working with all of you in the weeks and months ahead!" Hazel aid with excitement, ready for the doors to open and for the saloon to kick off!

While in her office Cherry Jubilee did some accounting for the saloon and her cherry fields, once that was all in order she did some more account for her recent personal purchases. The enchanted Necklace cost her a pretty bit but she thinks it was well worth the price as well as a few potions to help speed up the process a little more. She rummaged through her desk drawer to find the instructions for both the necklace and the potions. For the necklace it was a simple instruction that just read Keep on at all times until desired results are achieved. Once achieved you can remove artifact or keep it on for a longer lasting effect. Noticeable changes may take a few days to a week She nodded to herself and folded the necklace's instructions up and placed it on her desk. Next she looked at the potions instructions that read When coupled with the necklace effects should come around faster and within days rather than weeks. Put a few drops of this potion into the subject's food or drink and mix well. After reading both instructions she also folded up potion's instructions and placed it on top of the necklace's instructions then grabbed both and put them deep in the back of her drawer. Can't let anyone find out about her plans to help Vale- she means Hazel become the pretty filly she always wanted to be.

Cherry reached into her saddle bag and pulled out a lavender purple potion. She looked at it in the light it looked smooth with no foam around the edges of where the liquid ends. She wondered if it tasted like lavenders of if it tasted like anything at all for that matter, it probably didn't though since one would have to mix it into food and drink without the other pony noticing. She'll have to be careful with how she puts the potion in since she didn't want Hazel to suspect anything is up. Once done examining the potion she decided to check on Hazel and see how she's doing with the work load. It has been a couple of hours since the saloon opened for the day and around noon time was the time that rush hour came in and she wanted to make sure Hazel wasn't overwhelmed. She got up from her chair and stretched a moment before heading out the door. She saw two of her usual barmaids Velvet Rush and Summer Spark rushing back and forth between the kitchen, the tables, and the bar. She hoped they had been kind enough to show Hazel any tricks and tips they've picked up while being here. Velvet Rush was a earth pony and a bit of a hot head but when it came to work she did the job well and was excellent with the customers. Summer Spark was a pegasus and a little shy around the customers but she had a strong memory and a that worked well for her during rush hour especially. She has yet to see Hazel though and was hoping she was doing alright with the work load.

The saloon was very busy, busier than Valen had expected by some degree. It made sense when he was running around why- this place had a sterling reputation and was located the closest to the various fields and industries of Dodge Junction. If you wanted a drink, you came to this saloon after a hard day's work. As a result, Hazel was running around almost from the first step, her warmth and excitedness helping her as much as it meant she approached her interactions with more naive happiness than they were used to out of new hires. That didn't mean that it made it any easier on her hooves, however. She was hopping from customer to customer (literally as well, she thought it was a nice sort of addition to this character of Hazel Blossom) serving drinks at the bar and when needed heading out into the floor. They were right in saying food was rare, but it was rare in relation to how busy it was overall. Double digit food orders were not uncommon. And this place may not have anything truly exceptional, but hay fries were hay fries and bar food was bar food. As the hours rolled by she found herself running a little more ragged than expected, but Hazel could get through it.

Valen on the other hoof was buoyed tremendously by the help of the more experienced maids and waitresses. Velvet Rush was a bit more of a help than anypony else if only because her hot-headed nature didn't phase him. He had spent months dealing with high-powered designers and photographers who hammered away at even the smallest imperfection of attitude and stance. Somepony being a bit short and direct didn't strike Valen as a big deal! But her tips and tricks were very helpful regardless of how they were delivered. Order shortcuts that regulars used, how to handle certain customers, the proper order of delivery and intake- all of this was experience being parceled out to the new hire, and Valen was as thankful as could be. Hazel was doing great because of it. Summer Spark was slightly less forthcoming but her memory was amazing. She knew what almost everypony wanted every time they came and had such a fantastic and easy demeanor with the regulars that Valen knew where to set Hazel's sights.

The orders came fast and furious as did the questions and conversations with the customers. Hazel was new and this a popular topic of conversation. Where was she from what did she do before coming here, why was she here, how was the big city, what did she think of Dodge Junction. She kept her answers straight as she came up with them on the fly, and was swiftly learning drink combos. All in all it was a successful day, and as the days went by she would become more and more confident. Flirting with the younger and more age appropriate colts and fillies started soon after as Hazel noticed her tips raise with every well-thought out move, shake, eye bat, touch, and word. As Gilded Lilly, Valen hadn't been shy about using his body to sell the designs using attraction. Hazel was going to use words, moves, and the tricks of the trade to ensure that her tips were going off well. 

By the end of her shift, all she could do was sigh, take a deep breath, and check in with Cherry. That first night was the most hectic without a doubt and even with more experience it would have been more rough. As the days went on things got easier. That first night Valen was so tuckered out that he made his way to the room, took off the uniform and shoes, and fell asleep with necklace and stockings on. As he got used to it the stockings came off, necklace stayed on, and he tried to get normal sleep. He felt a little discombobulated at times and could swear his mane was getting longer and more vibrant, but he just chalked it up to the excellence of care he was receiving. Days passed, then a week. And through it all Hazel was so busy working and making friends and piling up the tips and money, rarely as she involved in anything else, and so caught up was she that there were things she didn't notice... 

Ah there she was! In the middle of the fray holding her own to the sea of ponies that came in and out of the saloon. Cherry felt proud of the little filly for doing the best she can and holding her own with her more experienced barmaids. Velvet Rush and Summer Spark were giving Hazel pointers and tips just as she had hoped and this put her worried mind at ease. Just with these three alone they were doing a wonderful job of keeping the bar running smoothly, she'll have to hire more ponies to help with these busy shifts but for now the three were doing wonderfully getting the orders to the customers on time. Sometimes the baristas behind the counter needed their help to get the drinks poured but for the most part it was a pretty tight ship. Satisfied with what she saw Cherry headed back to her office to do a few more things before the day was over.

The first week went by quickly and Hazel was still doing a fantastic job, each day she gained more and more experience which she put to practice at work. Cherry noticed how well she did with the customers and how much the customers like her by the tips Hazel got. With each passing day Cherry stuck to putting the potion mixture into Hazel's food and drink three times a day just to make sure that the potion would do it's job. And it did it's job quite spectacularly Cherry noticed how the pitch in Hazel's voice changed when she spoke it seemed to come more naturally than the facade she had to put on before. Her smell was also changing it too seemed natural and less product heavy, her mane and tail and were developing a beautiful sheen to them and her eyelashes were just gorgeous! As three weeks went by Cherry noticed small changes in Hazel's appearance. The uniform seemed to fit her better and her legs were more lithe than before. Cherry decided to slow down on how often she would give Hazel the potion. It went from three times a day to at most twice but mainly once a day at best to slow down the progress so Hazel doesn't notice the changes just yet.

Hazel was a popular addition to the Saloon some customers would specifically request her as their barmaid which is a huge honor for most. When one is requested that means they get better tips since that is their favorite barmaid. Her co-workers enjoyed her company as well especially Velvet and Summer they seem to have taken a liking to Hazel. They protect her from the more rowdy customers that come in and enjoy hanging around her after their shifts have ended. It seems that Hazel Blossom is becoming a very well liked pony in Dodge Junction and Cherry Jubilee couldn't be any happier about it.

Valen found his time as Hazel getting easier and easier as time passed, which he was going to go ahead and chalk up to experience and a proper diet. A part of him was a bit more suspicious but he had learned as Gilded Lilly that the depths of his transformative abilities were limited to effort and comfort. And thanks to his coworkers as well as Cherry Jubilee, he had been made very comfortable as Hazel Blossom. The voice pitch was easier than ever to maintain, and the lilting, bubbling mannerisms of his speech alternated between being unnaturally easy and blissfully simple to achieve. The aroma was changing as well- chalking it up to products more naturally having to fight less as leftover oils did their work, he was just happy to not have to work consistently hard to get through it. The clothes fit better than ever likely because with more extended use they stretched, though he saw little sign of that, and his diet was in place to help that anyway. Something in the back of his head was telling him to be alarmed, but things were going so well he didn't pay too much attention.

His work was going very well. Ponies like Hazel and Hazel was fitting in. She even had some ponies who would specifically request her, which she was told was a great sign. The tips were always helpful and she got along well with her coworkers, who seemed to appreciate the excitable nature of what Hazel brought to the table. Of course it was not all chocolate and flowers as his mother was want to say. It got busy at times. Orders could get mixed up and glasses broken or messes made. There were some rowdy types who took her kindness and flirting for more than they were meant to be and a few ponies had to be tossed out. It wasn't all perfect! She made her mistakes. Some drink types were far more confusing than others. Still, on the whole she was doing very well and making very quick progress at her job. Hazel had good cause for being tired at the end of the shift, and had equally good cause to be proud of the work she put in during that time. 

Outside of work she was making friends, if slowly. Just for ease of work she quickly befriended Velvet and Summer, and they were great helps in showing her around town and introducing her to fillies and colts her age. She made short work of any potential romantic issues by being infonitely less flirty, if still friendly, when outside of work, and didn't tip her hat in any direction (though Velvet would normally have tipped Valen's hat a bit but for some reason , not so much). Hazel made a few friends though none were very deep. Valen didn't want to leave a trail of deep and broken friendships behind him after all. But he still had enough ponies he was friendly with that he didn't have to spend all of his free time with Cherry- e event went to the projector theater to watch the latest Daring Do Projector series, even if it wasn't the most highly reviewed. Didn't matter. The point was simple.

Everything was turning up Hazel as days became weeks. 

• 3 months later...

iqnoF5a.jpg

Aunt Cherry was a swell mare to invite him, her nephew, to visit today! Sassy knew that he'd have to make something great for his aunt to show his appreciation so the little colt had been out all morning trying to select the perfect ingredients for a brew he was sure she'd love! However spending all of that time trying to find the perfect components meant that he'd have to bring it over. Since it had only finished being brewed about an hour ago, that meant this little pony would be hauling around the portable icebox all day! So, here he was: Pulling a medium sized toy wagon behind him with a frosty looking box laying inside it. Sassy hadn't forgotten what his aunt said either: the part about her having company over! A filly! So he'd even prepared some extra for the guest as well!

While Cherry's nephew was still in many ways a healthy and excitable and only occasionally thick-headed little colt, he'd made sure to make himself look nice for this mystery mare that his aunt had brought over! He was plenty sure she wouldn't be the type who'd prefer their company be wearing fancy dress shirts and tuxedos in her presence, but Sassy had still taken the time to make himself look nice. He mane was combed and properly curly, bouncy and clean... just like his tail! He'd brushed his teeth like three times over this morning too! 

Before he knew it he was here! His journey from his relatives house to... another relative's place! "Okay, Sassy!" The little colt looked at his reflection in the shiny red wagon he'd been dragging along, "This is yer most favorite aunt in the whole wide world! Now Y'all are gonna go in there and make her prouder than a lion who just won the first place in 'is pride! Are you excited?" The little colt leaped on top of his ice box and threw up his hooves, "Ya bet yer two cents Ah'm ready, Me!" The curly headed youngster would blush a bit as he noticed a passerby staring at him and quickly hop down and clear his throat. Deep breaths! In... and out! With an excited smile, he would approach the door and knock a few times, "Aunt Cherries! It's Sass! I brought ya'll some stuff!"

Hzel_Blossom_Banner.png

Valen Hazel had been told to take a half-day, only working the later part of her shift on this sun-soaked day. That was fine by her. She needed that break. She was doing great as a barmaid but even the best needed a break from their specialty. She was getting drink orders down pat now and was on a first-name basis with a great many customers, not to mention a growing respect from others. She couldn't be held accountable for the letters she was receiving, something Velvet and Summer were more than happy to tease her about as they both had more than a few admirers themselves. Of course if Valen had known who was sending the letters and the real reason behind them, well, things would be less than stellar. Ignorance was a virtue for now.

She wondered what to do with her morning and afternoon off. He- the terms were becoming one and the same now, like all other times he spent significant time as Gilded or now Hazel- had considered sleeping in, but found the idea less than appealing. He never was one for sleep. It seemed like wasted time. He only had so much time in the day! Cherry told her to expect company, so Hazel had made sure to shower and really get herself primed. When he was done- took about an hour, because he didn't skimp on making sure he was perfect- he felt a little alarmed. He could't put his hoof on it but he felt askew. He felt more lithe but didn't know if he was or just imagining it. He felt he had curves he didn't have before, and he could swear his mane and tail were unnaturally long.

He banished those worries with a wave of his hoof. He was just a worrywart naturally. Of course he would feel absurdly feminine; he had been living as a filly for...he didn't know how long, actually. As a barmaid it felt like he had lost track of time. The mind was a powerful influencer, after all. He decided to wear a modest and simple purple dress with nice fashionable, but sturdy, boots. She felt like she looked grand enough for the day especially since she didn't know who the company was or who she would be seeing or asked to do. Indeed, what she wanted to do was fine Cherry and get more information. She looked around and couldn't find her though. Just as the outermost edges of annoyance started to fray him, there was a reprieve via a knock at the door.

Valen bounded up to it and opened the door, being greeted by a curly maned colt with an infectious, popping energy about him. "Well, howdy there! How can I help you this fine afternoon?"

With her nephew incoming and Hazel with a half day off Cherry decided to leave the saloon in capable hooves for a while so she could be home. She was in her study in the basement, writing up lists of things for multiple reasons. One list was for what needs to be restocked at the saloon, another list for things she needs in the household, one list for Hazel's treatment supplies. Hazel has been taking well to the treatments her mane and tail were more glossy than before, she was more feminine looking and her outfits fit just right nowadays. Yes Hazel is becoming quite the pretty filly and Cherry can't wait to introduce her to her nephew Sassy. She looked up at the clock remembering the approximate time that she told Sassy to be there and waited to hear for the door. Time ticked by and Cherry lost herself in her lists of to dos soon enough that the voices at the front door barely registered to her. 

Cherry's ears flicked once recognition hit her. "Ah Sassy is here! I best go greet my nephew." she said to herself as she hopped out of her chair and stretched a moment. Then she heard the front door open and Hazel's voice and she headed upstairs with haste so she could introduce them to each other properly. Once she reached the front door she saw the two all adorably dressed, possibly for the meet and greet she thought. "Well hello Sassy! It's so nice to see my favorite nephew!" she came up from behind Hazel. "I see you've met Hazel." she said with a wide grin and stood between the two. "Hazel this is Sassy he's my beloved nephew. And Sassy as I just mentioned this is Hazel Blossom she'll be staying with me for a good while."

Cherry had to admit she was a little giddy from having the two meet. They were both very important to her so she hoped they would get along real well. Cherry noticed that Sassy had come with a wagon that had an icebox in it. "Oh is that for me, sweetie? You shouldn't have! Come come let's get inside before what you have in that icebox melts." She ushered the two back inside and led them towards the kitchen with a little pep in her trot. "It's so nice to have you here Sassy it's been such a long time since I've seen you. You've grown quite a lot since last we've seen each other." She pulled out a chair for each foal and then for herself "What did you bring us today?" She smiled warmly at the colt. You could say, even if Sassy isn't her own foal, that's he's her pride and joy especially since he likes to make new drinks. She hopes she can put them in her saloon sometime, when he's ready that for that of course."We can all have a nice chat over it, I would love for you and Hazel to get to know each other." Her eyes darted between two expectantly hoping they'd hit it off with each other and become friends.

iqnoF5a.jpg

As soon as the door opened Sass was left speechless. If you ever had one of those moments where your brain just seemed to stop all the flow of information in it, that was very much what this colt was experiencing. His mind was lost in the brilliant green eyes of the pony who opened up the door. Almost an entire minute passed by before the wagon pulling pony said anything.  "Wow..." Was the first word he gasped out before continuing one with his usual pep quickly returning to him, "Howdy! Ah'm Sarsaparilla Swirl! Mah friends call me Sass or Sassy fer short. Y'all must be the filly Aunt cherry told me about! Yer even prettier than she said ya were!" Another small pause, "Did I say tha' last part or think it?"

"Er, Anyway! It's Nice ta meet ya, Miss Hazel!" 

Soon, None other than aunt cherry herself made her way upstairs! Once Aunt cherry was between them and within range, Sass would give her a little hug in greeting.

Sarsaparilla looked back to hazel and nodded to Aunt Cherry, "Ah sure did! She already seems like a right nice sorta filly!" The bouncy little colt would eagerly follow along with the two, pulling his red wagon right behind him. The mention of his height got a proud chuckle from him, "Ah sure have aunty, Got about  3 inches since y'all saw me last!"

Now that the wagon was inside the little colt could open up it's contents and produced a pair of... mugs! OKay, well they weren't real mugs -as in glass ones-, but clear plastic ones with some wrapping clingy paper wrapped on the top so they wouldn't spill. One of those mugs was slightly smaller than the other and soon he offered the small one to Hazel and then Aunt Cherry, "Ah went searchin' fer a bunch of Sassafras all day yesterday ta make ya and yer company somethin' delicious! It's also got molasses, cinnamon, and allspice berries!" The curly tail behind him would hoist up a small tub of icecream as well, "...And I brought ya both some Ice cream in case ya wanted ta make 'em float! Although if'n ya do that yer gonna need ta take a sip first so the ice doesn't displace the soda and get all over ya! Sarsaparillaenterpriseswillnotberesponsibleforanyoccurencesofbrainfreezebroughtonbyicecreamfloats."

Hzel_Blossom_Banner.png

An involuntary blush made its home on Hazel's face. It may as well have been voluntary as she had done a great job in learning the proper fillyhood mannerisms as barmaid. A decent amount of flirting was almost required to do well after all, but it was rare to find any honesty in them. Customers flirted to pass the time with pretty fillies and barmaids flirted to get extra tips. But Sassy was struck honestly and Hazel didn't know how to take it. A part of it made him a little uncomfortable, as she didn't want Sassy to get the wrong idea. He wasn't really wanting a colt. But the blush came all the same. She didn't know why. Questions later though, as it was most unkind to leave him just standing out there with an awkward silence making the pace. “Well, you sure as sun did say that out loud, you little charmer you! I'm Hazel Blossom, a pleasure to meet you Sarsaparilla Swirl,” he said, giving a small curtsy as trained.

At that moment Cherry came back into frame. She seemed more than a little excited and that made perfect sense; if she was anything like the Apple family, meeting extended family and having them over was as perfect a day as a pony could have. She seemingly eyed both of them up ever briefly, and Hazel wondered how she was stacking up in Cherry's eyes. Hopefully as a success story, but you never knew until the terminus of things if something was wrong. Sassy seemed still a little caught up in Hazel, remarking that she seemed a nice enough sort. Hazel was a nice enough sort, but that didn't stop the blush from remaining on the cheek despite his relative desire for it to not happen. “Well, aren't you just a bundle of energy! I swear we could power all of Baltimare with it,” she said bubbly, following Cherry some more until they arrived in the kitchen.

He was hungry, but she didn't know what he wanted. She had felt like a lot of his appetite had left her rather abruptly recently. Perhaps he was sick; maybe she was just fixated on other things. Even when he had been touring the nation as part of Rarity's fashion tour her hunger had never really left. He just had enough discipline to not let it effect her work. At least now he was hungry, though it looked like food would wait a bit. Sassy had brought some drinks over. Drinks of his own making, it appeared. It would explain what had been dragged in of course. How creative! Hazel had rarely considered how and when drinks were created before she had begun work as a barmaid. Now he knew what a creatively taxing and richly rewarding task it was. Good on Sarsaparilla Swirl for the ability to do this. It was already great to meet such talented ponies!

Ice cream float, it sounded like. How delightful! “I think this sounds delicious, Sassy. I think I'll make mine float- nothing better than ice cream on a hot day!” She said, doing as required to make it work. He took a nice drink and partial bite, leaving her upper lip fizzy and mixed with ice cream. He licked it all up. “This is superb, Sassy!” She said, which was mostly true. It wasn't perhaps ready for sale at a bar or shop, but considering a colt made it out of a cart, it was an amazing feat regardless. “It must take a lot of work to make something this divine. How long does it take, all things considered-" he began before the brain freeze hit, leaving her face frozen and eye twitching for a few seconds.

• 1 month later...

Cherry took the mug gratefully from her nephew and smiled at him. "I think I'll drink mine without ice cream and have it as a treat later. You're always prepared with whatever the customer needs. Such a smart business pony you are." she then took a swig of the drink Sassy gave her and was awed by it's taste. You could taste the individual flavors separately and together all at once. The spice of cinnamon, the fragrance of the sassafras, and the sweetness of the molasses with the allspice berries they all blended together well to make a cool refreshing drink. She took another sip of her plastic mug and sighed happily.

"Tastes wonderful Sassy that's for sure! You always seem to come up with the best blends for your drinks." After placing the mug on the wooden table with a small *thunk* sound she looked to see what hazel thought of her float. Cherry noticed that the poor filly's face froze and eye twitched from what she guessed was a brain freeze, she couldn't help but to silently giggle raising a hoof to her muzzle to conceal her smile. Brain freezes were all too common with floats and Cherry wasn't too surprised that Hazel got one. "You doin' alright there dear?" she said to Hazel after regaining her composure "If it's too bad stick your tongue to the roof of your mouth and that should help ease it a bit"

She turned her attention back to Sassy "So how do you come up with these blends for you drinks? They are always so delightful and refreshin', I hope when you're older you'd like to come work with Aunty and make some more drinks up for the saloon!" the corners of her eyes crinkled when she smiled at Sassy then Hazel "But enough about the saloon you must tell me what you've been up to Sassy! I'm sure you've done more than just forage for ingredients. How is school and your folks doin'?" she tapped her hoof to her muzzle with thought of how her family was doing since she doesn't get to see them much this is her once in a while opportunity to see how things were going for them. She looked between Hazel and Sassy once more feeling so overjoyed at her two munchkins doing so well and hoped once more that they'd become good friends once they had time to chat between themselves. "Hmm. . . I should try and find a opportune time to let these two tykes get to know each other without me blabbing on and on." she thought to herself and nodded as to confirm her idea. "Maybe after we all chat for a little while longer I'll excuse myself and see how the two do without me 'cramping their style' I think that's what the foals are saying now a days."

• 2 weeks later...

iocinbA.jpg

Sassy blushed crimson beneath his earthy brown fur, "Aw, Shucks! Well Ah can't say the thought hasn't cross mah mind!" The colt's mom and pop had made similar jokes with different cities as the subject already. Still, Sassy couldn't help but find them at least somewhat amusing.

He was about to answer Miss Hazel's question that followed, but -- oh that face she made he knew all too well. He'd made it a few times but in his mind it was something of a sign of a successfully creation. If the body was telling you to slow down drinking something cold, well consarnit that just meant it must been that good to drink so fast! However having seen and experienced the menace of brain-freeze, the little dodge colt had learned many useful ways to rid one's self of the pain. The colt bolted off to the kitchen and returned with a glass of arm water in hoof and slid to a stop before hazel with his hoof outstretched.

"Drink this slowly! It'll warm up the roof o yer mouth so it'll fade." The little curly maned colt soon got up to his hooves tried to nonchalantly pat his rump: That little power slide on the way in here gave his back-end a bit of the rugburn! As soon as Hazel was looking better he'd give her an apologetic smile before responding to Aunt Jubilee, "Well Ta answer both o' yer questions... it can take a super long time. Especially for the carbonatin' process. Mah daddy still helps me out with the yeast. I do all o' the foragin' though and I go through all the roots I find to make sure they're good ta use. Dependin' on how much Ah'm making it can take almost a whole day! So Ah Mostly do the bulk o' the brewin' on the weekend and I'm workin' on my own stall that ah can sell some o' my stuff while I'm in town! What ah hauled along with me today is gonna be part of it!"  

"...And Ah'd love ta be yer soda jerk, aunty! Mom and Pop are both doin' good back home! As fer school... well, I'm not gonna lie Ah'd rather be out foragin' and get ta learning the cooler stuff about business rather th'n sittin' at that desk all day, but Miss Cheerilee says I'm a good student!"

Hzel_Blossom_Banner.png

They both gave good advice but it wasn't like this was her first rodeo of the brain freeze kind! He took the beverage offered by the kind Sass and drank it, feeling the warmth surge through her. That was helpful to an extent. As was holding his tongue to the roof of her mouth. Both combined to defeat the brain freeze, as did the passage of a few moments. It was a pretty good compliment when your tasty soda drink was good enough to make a somewhat cautious pony like Hazel lose her sense of...well, caution! Valen normally didn't like to lose himself to the rampaging senses, as that made it difficult for her to really force a better solution. And when so much of what you were doing was considered abnormal, you needed to force that solution. Still, all of this was a little too philsophical for a brain freeze! “Well, my brain will need time to recover. Compliments to the chef with a side of headache,” she winked pleasantly, Valen making sure that he rubbed his head a little. In a few more moments it passed completely, and she caught up quickly enough.

Sass didn't want to waste time at school and instead wanted to focus more on the business ahead of him, which excited him greatly. Hazel understood this better than most! She always had his mind set on her modeling career and would rather spend the many hours of the day dedicated to work than school. Even now, when he was a barmaid, she was focused on work to a greater extent emotionally. Of course this wasn't to denigrate the value of a proper education. He enjoyed his academy and she was aware that even the most base public school provided a wealth of tools that students were lucky to have access too. The ability to improve oneself through education was one of the great things about the modern world. But he also felt confident in his ability to continue educating herself at a pace more agreeable with his work schedule. Something that didn't follow in line with that didn't seem to be in her best interests. “Well, there are many ways to work around...well, work!” He began cheerily. “I'm sure there is an educational program you can hook yourself up to. They have so many awesome different education thingies out there, I'm sure you could sign up for one that'd allow you to forage and work,” She ended excitedly.

It was true, and it was something that he was going to have to look into soon whether she knew it or not. “It is so good to meet you, Sass. So nice to be able to get caught up with Cherry's awesome family! But I have anxious hooves. Does anypony want something to eat? I could hop, skip, and jump over to the bar really quick to get us a bite to eat, snake my way on back here all lickity split-like if that seems fine to you all?”

Archived