Crystal Swords (ATTN: Novaburst)

PyroBlaze

Xiêyè wasn't really sure what he planned to find out here, there was nothing he knew of aside from some empty islands. And then he spotted what looked like a crystal castle. When had that got there? He had never seen that before...

His curiosity piqued, the longma flew down to get a closer look at the castle, remaining a fair distance away just in case. 

"[Is anyone in there? Come out! Come out and explain yourselves!]" He shouted in his native tongue, just in case the residents were friendly. In case they were hostile though, he was at the ready to draw his blades at a moment's notice. 

If there was one thing the former ruler of the Crystal Empire despised? It was unwanted guests. Specifically, this was the second time someone had paid him a visit to his home uninvited. Did he have to put out an unwelcome mat? Frowning, he'd look over the individual from his castle. So the individual wasn't a Unicorn but was some other manner of creature. This warranted investigation. Teleporting out of his castle, he'd appear in front of the individual.   "Yes, what do you seek here?" asked King Sombra trying to make himself look as imposing as possible, and using his magic to try and make himself seem fear inspiring.

Xiêyè was... wary. This unicorn was obviously trying to look as intimidating as possible, and would likely be very frightening to someone who hadn't been fighting for as long as him. He had seen worse in his time. Just his luck though that this pony didn't know his language. 

"I never seen that before." He said simply, gesturing towards the crystal castle with a wing, keeping his eyes firmly on the pony. "When it get here?"

Ugh, he hated how stupid he must sound when he had to speak Equestrian, but he couldn't seem to grasp the language. 

Noticing that the individual didn't speak fluent Equestrian, or the tongue of the Crystal Empire King Sombra sighed. He'd then light his horn, and cast a spell that would allow thoughts to be translated into language, that would allow them to communicate without worrying about the language barrier. It was a spell he had made a long time ago for similar purposes when communicating with dragons, or other creatures. Recasting it was a simple matter.  "I built my castle myself, it's my home. You seem like you are a competent fighter. Perhaps there could be work for you in the future. But first,  I must see what you are capable of. Tell me, would you like to spar?" asked King Sombra. 

He felt the tingle of magic, but he wasn't sure what it had done until he heard the unicorn speak. Why was he suddenly more understandable? Some kind of translation spell? Xiêyè gave a slight hum before responding. 

"I am no mercenary, but I will not turn down a chance to spar. Do you have a training room or do we just do it here?" The longma replied, giving a nod and relaxing slightly. Aside from the whole intimidation attempt, there did not appear to be anything bad about this unicorn, as strange looking as he was. 

"We will do it out here. I am still renovating my castle, so it isn't ready for guests."  This was true, Sombra had a great deal many renovations to prepare his castle but it was because he didn't want certain guests. Namely any of the species known as "Alicorns" showing up and causing him headaches just yet. He wasn't capable, his magic levels were nowhere near the ones he had when he ruled the Crystal Empire. As a result of what had happened, he was in a bad mood partially. Of course, he knew better than to let it show for now. As he remembered the Crystal Heart's blast an involuntary shudder went through his body. The mere memory of what had transpired caused him a slight amount of pain. Sombra sighed, and then looked at his enemy before summoning a staff made out of crystal. Well not so much summoning as growing one out of the ground and levitating it in his magic. Assuming a stance he said. "Need a weapon, or are we good?" 

"Very well." Xiêyè replied simply, waiting for the unicorn to draw a weapon before he got ready. He raised an eyebrow at the staff made of crystals, but said nothing about it. Instead, he simply drew two of his swords, getting into his own stance and leaving his third sword sheathed. 

"Unless you want something duller than these, I am ready." He said, his gaze remaining on his opponent. "I won't be going for any killing blows, of course, but don't expect to get out unscathed."

"Oh don't worry, I'll get out of the spar relatively uninjured."   said Sombra, casting several layers of barrier spell on his body that would prevent any blows that could cripple or maim him or even severely injure him in other ways. With his preparation made,  King Sombra levitated his staff and took a whack at Xieye, forming several more staffs that circled around him and were contained in his magical glow. The staffs were the weapon he was using for now, as he didn't want to murder anyone. His power needed to increase before he could kill anyone. After all, he was not as powerful as an Alicorn yet, to say the least on the subject. Those six that had held the Crystal Fair... he'd have to deal with them before he could reclaim his empire. But he couldn't do so yet. One of them was an Alicorn after all, and thus worthy of respect.  "You just worry about yourself getting harmed, as I won't be holding back with these staffs. Not that I could injure you with them, mind you." said King Sombra with a grin on his face that was particularly predatory. 

"Can't hurt me with them? I beg to differ." Xiêyè said, blocking the strike and eyeing the staffs circling him. He waited for a moment, launching into the air as they tried to hit him again. He then swooped at his opponent, slashing at him with both swords. 

When he swooped at Sombra,  the staffs flew and blocked his attack with his swords while one of them shot off and tried to whack his enemy from behind. King Sombra was not the type of person who played fair, after all. A wicked grin was on Sombra's muzzle. "How's that?" asked King Sombra. 

Xiêyè grunted at the impact, using the wall of staffs to launch back into the air and away from his retaliation. The longma gazed at the situation for a moment before making his next move, swooping back in and going for another slash. When they inevitably were blocked, he pushed off the ground, sliding over the barrier with the sound of metal scraping against crystal. He used the momentum to bring a leg down in a flipping kick sort of thing towards the unicorn. 

"You can do plenty of damage with a staff made of wood, let alone crystal." Xiêyè stated, moving from the kick into a leg sweep combined with one slash from each sword. "We never exchanged names either. I am Xiêyè Fēngbào."

"If you will give me your word that you will not reveal my name to any who are in positions of power or anyone else without my consent, I shall tell it to you." said King Sombra as he sidestepped the flipping kick and thus allowed himself to dodge each sword, and the leg sweep. He'd then say. "You have impressive skills, Xiêyè Fēngbào. It is a shame you are not a mercenary or there would be many job opportunities open for you within the near future." said Sombra. Sombra then said. "Assuming you agree, Sombra is my name." He'd then launch the staffs like "missiles" at Xiêyè, but their real purpose was not to be missiles. For when they got close enough, they'd 'explode' into a cloud of fog that would obscure his vision. Should such a tactic work, Sombra would generate more staffs and launch them at Xiêyè. This was helping him get back into fighting form. 

Sombra... the name was familiar, though he couldn't put his hoof on it at the moment. That distraction made sure Xiêyè couldn't dodge the incoming staffs, so instead he set himself to block them, surprised as they burst into fog. He didn't dawdle in there though, launching out the back of it as the next staffs shot forward towards where he had been. In that moment, he drew his third sword out with his breath magic, launching it forcefully right towards Sombra's chest, or at least the last place he had seen Sombra. While that was on its way, Xiêyè launched himself into the air again, launching a second sword from a different angle and holding on to his third as he swooped in from yet another angle for a slash. 

When the sword was launched at him with Breath Magic, King Sombra used one of his favorite spells. Turning into shadow, he'd manage to evade all of the attacks by the individual, thus preventing him from getting any major injuries. Right now he couldn't afford any such injuries, as they might prove a hassle. Still, when he came out of it, Xiêyè was just about to slash at him. Quickly raising one of his staffs with telekinesis to block it,  Sombra smiled. "Your skill level is impressive. I must admit, this is the first workout I have had in a long time. You know, if you were willing I would pay you to come here a week every month and help me get back into fighting form." said Sombra.  "Oh wait, you're not a mercenary so that won't exactly work..." said King Sombra. He'd then smile menacingly. "Still, should you ever need work my doors are open for you." said Sombra. 

"Your skills are impressive as well. Though... You want to pay to train with me?" Xiêyè asked, his brow furrowing a bit in thought before he jumped away from Sombra. "I suppose there would be no harm in it, though I cannot promise a regular schedule for it. My travels take me to many places, after all."

The longma nodded to himself, collecting his swords in his magic and sheathing one again, holding a blade in each forehoof while waiting for Sombra to make the next move. 

• 3 months later...

Sombra nodded at the Longma. "I will need to get into fighting form as quickly as possible, learn new fighting styles that I don't know, and be prepared to fight opponents who are much more powerful than myself,"  In order to beat Celestia, and Luna Sombra was going to have to get his killer instincts back up to par. Being alone on a deserted island practically didn't help that. Ideally, he'd find a place full of savage animals, or something and train there. Of course, with his magic replenishing that was not an option. Sombra looked over at the Longma, and then asked. "So I don't suppose, you know any ponies who are good at doing shopping covertly? I have a few items on my shopping list, but cannot retrieve them myself." 

@PyroBlaze

Archived